Solstice news... (3 threads merged)

Senga

My guess it they would do something along the lines of what Princess has done. Formal dining and Personal choice. If you take Formal dining you can eat in the Formal dining room, specialty restaurants or even Personal choice dining rooms. If you choose Personal choice, your options are PC dining rooms or specialy.

The PC has been so sucessful, they are using their two smallest restaurants for Formal dining.

We were assigned PC, but didn't want it. It was easy to resolve. We made a nightly standing reservation in once of the PC dining rooms for a table for two at the same time each night with the same waiter. It was wonderful. We did take 2 nights to try the two specialty restaurants. I think it's a nice blend of both worlds.

Solstice is on sale to Captains club members 21st June and to others on 5th July.

9 night Eastern Carib. Jan 14/18 Feb 1/15 March 1/15/29 April 12 (2009)

Fort Lauderdale-at sea-San Juan-Philipsburg-Tortola-Labadee-at sea-Fort Lauderdale.

9 night Eastern 14th 21st and 28th December 2008

Have the others also but havnt got time to type all right now . The itineraries are basically similar with a few variations.

Solstice is on sale to Captains club members 21st June and to others on 5th July.

9 night Eastern Carib. Jan 14/18 Feb 1/15 March 1/15/29 April 12 (2009)

Fort Lauderdale-at sea-San Juan-Philipsburg-Tortola-Labadee-at sea-Fort Lauderdale.

9 night Eastern 14th 21st and 28th December 2008

Have the others also but havnt got time to type all right now . The itineraries are basically similar with a few variations.

Philip, Thought I had just read in the press release these were 7 night sailings!!. Is the 9 nights you are quoting including the travelling time for Europeans??

But thanks for the heads up, any news on a TA!!:cool:

John.

My guess it they would do something along the lines of what Princess has done. Formal dining and Personal choice. If you take Formal dining you can eat in the Formal dining room, specialty restaurants or even Personal choice dining rooms. If you choose Personal choice, your options are PC dining rooms or specialy.

The PC has been so sucessful, they are using their two smallest restaurants for Formal dining.

We were assigned PC, but didn't want it. It was easy to resolve. We made a nightly standing reservation in once of the PC dining rooms for a table for two at the same time each night with the same waiter. It was wonderful. We did take 2 nights to try the two specialty restaurants. I think it's a nice blend of both worlds.

Any Princess ship we have sailed on has only ONE dining room available for traditional dining while there are two or more for anytime dining. This is the case even when the majority of passengers have requested traditional, hence the long waiting lists for traditional, and the large number of guests forced into anytime despite their expressed preference for traditional. If Celebrity elects to offer the two types of dining, one can only hope that they will be more flexible and adjust to reflect the conditions on each cruise. If Celebrity chooses to be as rigid as Princess there will be a lot of unhappy Celebrity regulars. BTW, that standing reservation (recreating traditional?) is only possible if you choose to dine at times that are less popular (very early or very late). Princess will not take reservations (standing or otherwise) for times between 7pm and 8:30.

So much for eating when and where and with whom you want.:( If I want to carry a beeper to tell me when my table is ready, I'll stay home and go to a local restaurant.:rolleyes:

??????

Yes they are only opening up five months for bookings on a brand new ship. For those who are looking beyond the Caribbean and beyond seven days, this announcement is of no significance. Sure it will be exciting to see cabins and deck plans, but I would never book a new ship within 6 months of its launch. Especially given Celebrity's history.

From the news release:

Following several weeks of inaugural activities, Celebrity Solstice will make its maiden voyage December 14, 2008, on a seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruise roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico; Basseterre, St. Kitts; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. The itinerary will be offered on Sundays through April 5, 2009, with an alternating itinerary calling on San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Tortola, B.V.I.; and Labadee, Haiti, through April 12, 2009. Fares for veranda staterooms begin at $1,099 per person, based on double occupancy.

For those who were interested : the transatlantic preceding the maiden voyage won't be open for sale. I just received a mail from X.

Hi Cote d'or !

Thanks for the information. We pretty much assumed this would be the case, given the information that came out on Friday, and especially as the Press Release calls the 12/14/08 sailing, the Maiden Voyage. At least we know that's official now.

One has to wonder what Solstice will be doing before and after her TA to Ft Lauderdale. I am assuming they will have a few sailings for Travel Agents, and VIP's. I wonder if they will do any shakedown sailings, and invite some of the Celebrity faithful to see Solstice before her first Ft Lauderdale sailing. I certainly hope so !

One has to wonder what Solstice will be doing before and after her TA to Ft Lauderdale. I am assuming they will have a few sailings for Travel Agents, and VIP's. I wonder if they will do any shakedown sailings, and invite some of the Celebrity faithful to see Solstice before her first Ft Lauderdale sailing. I certainly hope so !

I sure hope so! Luckily, I'll be Elite by then...just in cast those are the only people they contact for any free shakedowns.

Hi Senga !

I could be wrong about this, but I do not believe Celebrity ever said October 2008. Any mention of Solstice (that I have seen) has said "Fall 2008". I always figured Solstice would begin sailing (for passengers) towards the end of 2008. This date seems to be on target.

Hi Andy!

The October mention was in the verbage that came out with the keel laying picture in the Celebrity web site 'Press Room Details' link:

"Guests at the keel laying ceremony for the Miami-based Celebrity Cruises' newest ship, 'Celebrity Solstice', watch as the 600-ton keel is laid in place at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, Saturday, March 17, 2007. The company will reveal later this year the first compelling feature that will make the 122,000 ton ship, which launches in October 2008, truly unique in the industry."

I agree that that would make it the end of 2008 for actual pax.

Hi Andy!

The October mention was in the verbage that came out with the keel laying picture in the Celebrity web site 'Press Room Details' link:

"Guests at the keel laying ceremony for the Miami-based Celebrity Cruises' newest ship, 'Celebrity Solstice', watch as the 600-ton keel is laid in place at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, Saturday, March 17, 2007. The company will reveal later this year the first compelling feature that will make the 122,000 ton ship, which launches in October 2008, truly unique in the industry."

I agree that that would make it the end of 2008 for actual pax.

Hi Denb !

Thanks for bringing that up. After reading what you wrote, that's the first time I have seen a specific Month (October 2008) mentioned, prior to today's press release. At least we know where the October 2008 date came from !

As another poster mentioned, there is always a gap between the actual delivery date, and the date the ship is scheduled to begin her deployment for the public, as they have to do things like sea trials, inspections, training for the crew. Then, there are preview sailings for VIP's and TA's. That probably explains the gap between the delivery date, and the Maiden Voyage date.

Does anyone know where we can see deck plans? It seems to me that if they offer us booking dates on 6/21 there should be deck plans so we can choose our cabins. I just was on X site & no luck there.

Thanks

Hi Dutchess !

At the moment, there are no deck plans listed.... yet.

I sincerely hope that Celebrity will supply us with further Solstice information such as deck plans, before 6/21, when bookings will open for Captain's Club members. After all.... how else can we book, if we dont know what we are looking at ? :)

Hopefully, Celebrity will take care of this shortly. Stay tuned !

Press Release

Summer Solstice Sheds New Light on Celebrity Solstice(SM)

MIAMI, June 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises is beaming about the approach of summer solstice. The term for the longest day and shortest night of the year, summer solstice traditionally marks the beginning of summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but at Celebrity Cruises, it also marks the opening of bookings for Celebrity Solstice(SM), the top-rated premium cruise line's first new ship since 2002.

Bookings for Celebrity Solstice will open exclusively for members of Celebrity's loyalty program, "Captain's Club," on June 21, the date of this year's summer solstice. Beginning July 5, all other cruise enthusiasts are welcome to book a Celebrity Solstice vacation.

"We are thrilled with the early interest and enthusiasm we're receiving from our guests and travel partners about Celebrity Solstice," said Celebrity's President Dan Hanrahan. "As a special gesture of appreciation to our loyal Captain's Club members, we're pleased to offer them the first opportunity to set sail in the ship's inaugural season."

Celebrity Solstice will offer the extraordinary service and dining experience the brand is known for providing, along with a variety of compelling new features that will be revealed over time.

One of those features is the line's new AquaClass(SM) category of veranda accommodations expressly designed for spa enthusiasts. Guests booked in AquaClass will receive unlimited access to Celebrity Solstice's new AquaSpa relaxation room and the Persian Garden, an exotic aromatherapy and steam room, as well as exclusive, complimentary dining in Blu, an intimate, 130-seat specialty restaurant whose design is likely to be as inviting as the cuisine.

AquaClass will comprise 130 of the ship's 1,425 staterooms. A full 85 percent of all staterooms onboard Celebrity Solstice will have verandas, and all staterooms will be equipped with flat-screen TVs, smarter storage and closet space, spacious bathrooms, and plush European bedding. The ship will offer wireless Internet access throughout.

Following several weeks of inaugural activities, Celebrity Solstice will make its maiden voyage December 14, 2008, on a seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruise roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico; Basseterre, St. Kitts; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. The itinerary will be offered on Sundays through April 5, 2009, with an alternating itinerary calling on San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Tortola, B.V.I.; and Labadee, Haiti, through April 12, 2009. Fares for veranda staterooms begin at $1,099 per person, based on double occupancy.

Celebrity Solstice will be the line's first in a class of four 2,850-guest vessels with an exceptional range of guest-inspired services and amenities. German shipbuilder Meyer Werft is building the 122,000-ton vessels. Meyer Werft also built the line's Century-class fleet: Celebrity Century, Celebrity Mercury, and Celebrity Galaxy.

Hi Cote d'or !

Thanks for the information. We pretty much assumed this would be the case, given the information that came out on Friday, and especially as the Press Release calls the 12/14/08 sailing, the Maiden Voyage. At least we know that's official now.

Yes they will want to get the European press onto it and other key partners incl agent etc.. will be a shame no TA .

9 Nights is indeed for Europeans. Sorry for the confusion but I was typing it as per the press release.

Andy, I am just guessing...just guessing~the prices are going

to be sky high for a new sailing?:eek: :confused: Even If I wanted to try

such a large ship, it wouldn't be in the cards due to $$$.......

Too bad they probably won't do the same thing Royal did for Liberty and

give some longtimers a chance for a 2 nighter.....and that Liberty sailing

was all complimentary you know.

Lois R,

We went on one of the one day inaugural cruises for the Liberty of the Seas out of NJ. It was weird how we received the invite...it was from a AAA TA who we had never worked with before. We had booked a couple earlier cruises with AAA. We never even met the TA on the cruise...her opportunity lost not ours. The Liberty of the Seas was a really nice ship. I notice quite a few cruise lines doing inaugural cruises. Is this not something Celebrity does when introducing a new ship to their fleet?

John & Shari

Hi Rick !

You are probably right about that. I only expect to hear about sailings from December 2008, through April 2009. That will likely be a TA sailing, (although she might be sailing empty without revenue passengers on the TA if Captains Club is right).... followed by her Caribbean season.

/QUOTE]

If Solstice does sail empty across the transatlantic without passengers, that will be nothing new for Celebrity. The Century (also built at that same shipyard) sailed across with crew and performers only picking up passengers in for the maiden voyage in New York. Century was also launched in December and the crew told us about the rough Northern crossing. It gave a chance for the crew to learn the ship before passengers came aboard.

Hi John and Shari:)

I don't know th answer to your question. But I am sure

there are some longtime and knowlegable folks on here who

do.....

I only started cruising in 2003....wish I had started long before then!

I know Constellation came into the fleet in 2002 and I have no idea

if they had a "Pre-Inaugural" for her or not.

Ya know what, Andy (my wife has dubbed you Captain Andy after the captain in the musical "Showboat" :) ), the way X and some other lines hand out information is abysmal. I read in the local paper that the City of Downey, CA already has a model of its Rose Parade float for 2008! So they already know the theme of the parade, and how the float will look.

Cruise lines know the minute the contract is signed, how their ship will look. When you read on CC, about how the cabins are built, etc, don't tell me that the bosses don't have deck plans! And for an X customer representative to say that their team is "working on it" is ridiculous. It sounds like something out of Dilbert (maybe X's office is is Elbonia).

Suffice to say, I am annoyed!

Archived