Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

I guess I'm a cynic at heart, but I'm sure they are already discussing a lawsuit. We shall see how this develops.

No doubt. They will call alawyer when they get home or the Internatioal Cruise Victims. It is sad but come on even if you are sick how far over are you going to be. I just do not get it.

This is so sad. I feel bad for the friends and family of the missing man. And I also feel bad for RCCL. The local news here seems to want to play the story up as the cruise ship's fault. But how can you protect every drunken fool from himself? :(

The local news here said these people had been drinking heavily. :(

We have never had a balcony, but I do worry about this. Especially when DH suggests taking the kids. But as a Mom, I worry all the time.

Thank you for posting about this story. We are in KC, so we don't hear much about this stuff. Keep us up to date, and the family of this person in our thoughts

We have never had a balcony, but I do worry about this. Especially when DH suggests taking the kids. But as a Mom, I worry all the time.

Thank you for posting about this story. We are in KC, so we don't hear much about this stuff. Keep us up to date, and the family of this person in our thoughts

I don't think you need to worry about your kids. Most (all?) of the overboards are either younger drinkers or older suicides. I don't think any children have had that sort of terrible accident (not that I'm aware of, anyway).

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the kids either. I doubt you would let them out there by themselves anyway. Believe me, if there had been a child overboard, we would have heard about it!

Sam :)

Yeah I cruise carnival -- but I wasn't aware that it's a war between carnival and rccl cruisers.

Currently I get better deals on Carnival than on RCCL -- doesn't mean I'm going to take it out on someone just cause they cruise RCCL -- in fact I would love to cruise on the Freedom of the Seas or her sister ship Liberty... but I can take the 1,300 I'll spend and pay for me and my gf to sail on CCL.

In the future when i'm banking more $$ I'll be able to sail RCCL and maybe even Cunard (which is my dream).

---

I'm 27 and my gf is 24 -- when we were on the Carnival Liberty in Dec. I flat out told if I have a couple drinks and i'm not acting 100% myself do whatever to make sure I don't hang out on the balcony...

I'm not implying this 24 yr consumed alcohol or anything I'm just saying... these days be a little extra cautious. It is your life and u only get one ... maybe it's a good idea to do the buddy system on the balcony... lol

that seems like plain old common sense and I agree with you. Too bad that several recent overboards were people that had been drinking that wound up by themselves. of course they are responsible for themselves, but a friend in the right place at the right time can be the difference between life and death.

I don't think you need to worry about your kids. Most (all?) of the overboards are either younger drinkers or older suicides. I don't think any children have had that sort of terrible accident (not that I'm aware of, anyway).

Yea, unless we were at an "Large Causal Restuarant" in Californa (there was a story on CNN) I don't think my kids will be drinking Anyhoo, these stories usually have the line "After a night of drinking...." Not judging, I am usually the first in line when the Shot Girl goes around....(However, that is when they are $2.00 shot night at the local bar, not $6.95 on RCCL) But it's awful for the family

Okay guys :( . Please stop trying to beat eachother up and lets just pray for this guy and his family. My fiance and I made a special effort to see how someone could just fall or slip over the railing, its seemingly impossible. You'd have to be impaired in some way or it isn't an accident. :confused: I really hope that they find him alive.

Latest update from the Coast Guard and RCCL:

The Coast has stopped it's search and rescue operations and will resume at first light.

The Freedom of the Seas continues to retrack it's steps and will need to decide soon at what point to resume on it's iten.

Just got off the Liberty this past Sunday. Had a balcony cabin and the 2 men (approx. in late 20's) were plastered every night and out on the balcony. We could hear the chairs being knocked against the balcony glass, the two of them horsing around and pushing each other while falling on to the balcony deck. When they were inside their cabins, it sounded as if someone was gonna come through the wall, and this went on until 5am. We tried to call and report it, and the call was on hold for over 45 minutes and no one ever picked up the call. The next morning we reported it in person, and the noise continued every night and nothing was done about it. The security dept. must take action against these type of cruisers, or they will continue to have over board pax!

After arriving at the Miami airport on 6/16, we were told by an airline employee, that 11 Cubans were caught climbing from a row boat on to a carnival cruise ship, after it left Miami pier. The coast guard did not interfere with removing the 11 cubans until the ship was to get into international waters. That way they would be returned to Cuba.

I would like to know how someone can get on to the ship, just like how someone can fall overboard!

How do you climb onto a cruise ship?? What do you grab onto to climb??

Personally, I would have hung up the phone, put on my flip-flops and hiked on down to Guest Relations and stood there until security or a guest relations employee came back to the cabin with me and listened to the commotion. If not for your own enjoyment of your cruise, but for your neighbors own good. I am in my "late-20's" (26) and I find that kind of behaviour unacceptable. (Yes, I was obviously the life of the party in college....:rolleyes:)

Sam :D

Oh that doesn't SOUND Good at ALL! I'm surprised THAT wasn't on the National News!! (Although I guess it could have been but I don't watch it LOL!)

Thanks for the original post, since I DON"T WATCH the news (not up at 6am, not home at 6pm and too late at 11pm) plus if its news I need to know someone will surely tell me or I'll read it on here.

I'm sorry people acted unkind, it really is nice to hear the scoop on here. LOL

I have searched all the major news websites and cant find anything about this!!!! I know cnn, fox, and others would have had something on their websites about this. I'm not saying this didnt happen but I find this to be a little odd.

I have searched all the major news websites and cant find anything about this!!!! I know cnn, fox, and others would have had something on their websites about this. I'm not saying this didnt happen but I find this to be a little odd.

Here is a link to CBS4 in Miami - they are reporting it on their home page:

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_169210620.html

Since this seems to be a more frequent occurance these days, I wonder what the cruise lines are going to implement to help prevent this? The publicity isn't good for their pocketbooks.

Just a pondering and opinion...No, I abolutely agree that the publicity isn't good for the cruise lines. I wish, however, there were more reporting about the circumstances around the disappearance of cruise ship passengers. Drinking, suicide, stupid accidents...

Can you imagine the uproar if a cruise line were to impliment a limitation on how many drinks you are allowed to have in a given period? I'm not thinking it would go over all that well. Not to mention it would cut into their profit margins. When people on cruisecritic talk about their bar tabs for a cruise being in the $500-$1000 range, I imagine dollar signs light up in the eyes of stockholders!!!!

How about personal responsibility?? How about saying I've had too much? Perhaps the cruise line should impliment a designated sober drinking buddy whose responsibilities include babysitting intoxicated adults and keeping them from climbing the railings.

I am so sorry. None of this is meant to be angry, but what should the cruise lines do to save people from themselves? And why should they have to do it?

I truly hope this poor young man's family is able to find peace. (I'm gonna be a naysayer and think there's no way they will recover him alive...)

Sam

PS- Lora: I hope your Carnival wedding goes way better than ours did!!! Congratulations!!!!

Archived