Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

The 24-year-old man has been identified -- the family has request their identity not be published....

They are from Raleigh, N.C. and the 24-yr-old is the oldest of 3 kids cruising with their family.

The Coast Guard continues to search -- meanwhile the FOS has dropped the port of St. Thomas from it's voyage and has reschedule San Juan for Wednesday and then will stop in St. Marteen before returning to Miami.

So have they suspended all efforts to find him? And what chance is there that he may be found alive? This is so sad.

I guess I'm a cynic at heart, but I'm sure they are already discussing a lawsuit. We shall see how this develops.

Not cynical at all, you're just thinking like an American. Everyone is a victim in America. Nobody is ever at fault for their own errors. :rolleyes:

Coast Guard continues to search -- but it's hard to tread water for this long unless he found something to hang on to...

Waters temps are favorable... but the currents are pretty strong in that area making the search area extremely large (and growing).

Sorry to hear this again. Doesn't sound good! My prayers are being said for Him and his family. With a "Miracle" hopefully, He will be found. I agree with other posters as I have sailed on 60 Cruises and can't imagine how anyone could accidentaly fall overboard. Standing on a railing, Yes! Just a terrible shame for everyone onboard and RCCL as well.....Ike

Just want to say thank God for the UNITED STATES COAST GUARD. They are the unsung heros of this story. They risk their lives every day to keep us safe, and get very little thanks in return. I say a prayer they are kept safe as they continue the search.

Coast Guard Mom:)

I copied this from the article above:

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, Smith was last seen at around 1:45 a.m. Monday. Coast Guard officials said a pair of sandals belonging to Smith were on the deck of the cruise ship.

He didn't fall...he jumped:( . If he fell, wouldn't his shoes have fallen with him?

Okay:) . I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'm still hoping that they find the guy!

So am I.

How long was that couple out at sea from the Princess cruise? I think it was Princess….this seems to be happening more often or I’ve been reading this board to long.

How does one fall from a balcony?

If you mean "how does someone accidentally fall from a balcony?" I would say "they can't". I'm 6'2" and of average proportions, and my center of gravity is still below the top of the rail. I could see how someone with impaired judgment could get on a deck chair, or try to climb from balcony to balcony, or lean out to try to peer into a balcony below....

... of course I once had a large suite on the stern of the ship that had a door in the balcony railing that just opened up.

The couple overboard on Princess were out there about 5 hours. We were on that cruise. Long night, but Princess's Captain was awesome as were the rescuers. These two were very, very lucky to have been found at all, much less alive and still kicking!

I've posted before that my husband and I lost our son. We call parents who have lost children, "the Club." It's one we want no one to join and wish we could revoke our membership to.

My heart breaks for his mother. I just don't know what to say, other than that. It's very sad.

DoctorFeelGood: I must agree with you. I'm a couple inches taller and although my mind says I'm going to fall overboard my center of gravity say's no. My fear is catching my toe on the doorsill and falling forward and flipping over the railing...but again, I don't think that would even do it. We were on a Carnival cruise several years ago when a young man went overboard...a very sad experience regardlless of what indescretion caused it.

I've posted before that my husband and I lost our son. We call parents who have lost children, "the Club." It's one we want no one to join and wish we could revoke our membership to.

My heart breaks for his mother. I just don't know what to say, other than that. It's very sad.

(((((Nliedel)))))

I met one of my dearest friends here on CC, she's a member too (Kamloops Cruiser). It's awful, but I've met some great people that way. People that I have grown and healed with. A lot of them here. I love CC.

• Administrators

I hope for the sake this young man and his family that they find him -- even though, as a realist, I know after 24 hours it's not looking promising. :( There have been so many of these stories the last few years -- I wonder whether the occurrence (person overboard, for whatever reason) is actually more common now, or if it's just that news is so much more immediate and global now, particularly with the internet, that we hear more about such events?

Stories like this also make me ponder the nature of the media. The AP story I read on this search made reference to the fact that several people have gone overboard off cruise ships this year, including the three recovered alive in March. I wonder if it's just that I'm interested in cruising (so those stories catch my eye) -- but I really can't recall such national coverage of incidents such as spring breakers balcony jumping, novice sea kayakers who go beyond safe limits and are swept away, people who ignore red flags and swim or snorkel where rip currents are present, the tragic number of young people who become victims of alcohol poisoning (sometimes fatally), etc. It reminds me of the coverage of noro outbreaks on cruise ships -- the media somehow never seems to make such a splash with noro outbreaks anywhere else, even though it's just as likely to happen in resort hotels, etc. A number of my (non-cruising) friends have referred to "cruise ship sickness," as if being on a cruise ship is what causes the viral disease!

I agree with some posters here that a big part of it is personal responsibility, but group responsibility comes into play here as well. When a news story reports that someone missing off a cruise ship was "last seen" by family, friends, etc. at some time in the wee morning hours -- I always wonder what the story is behind that. In traveling with friends (it hasn't ever happened with family, but I'd do the same thing in that case) who overindulge, I've always tried to step up and make sure that they at least wind up crashed in bed before calling it a night myself -- I'm not their babysitter, but I am their friend. I'd never leave an over-the-top drunk friend sitting on a balcony of a cruise ship, even if I had to borrow toothpicks to keep my eyes open. I know everyone's not like that -- but I wonder how many of these incidents could be prevented if more were?

I think it comes down to: the older I get, the more I know my mother was totally right when she said "nothing good ever happens after midnight, except the birth of a baby."

Just some random musings here -- again, I hope and pray that this young man is recovered alive, and soon.

PS oh goodness, this appears in the middle of a string of posts about Nliedel's situation, which I didn't intend. I was reading the news reports, fixing dinner, and composing my post while that was posted, along with responses. All of you who have lost children have my condolences, no matter how long it has been. I truly wasn't being unempathetic, and hope you understand.

Archived