Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

I've often wondered how anyone could "fall" from a cruise ship until my last cruise. This was our first balcony and we were looking over the railing when I noticed some people a few balconies over. They looked to be in their 20's. All of a sudden one of them threw his leg over the balcony railing and proceeded to act like he was going to jump.

Answered my question.

Not bitter here but if you read the whole article it states a female fell from the same ship off the coast of italy last year...wasn't that the voyager?

I don't know if it was Voyager but it certainly was NOT Freedom of the Seas. Freedom doesn't even sail there.

There was some sort of mix up when our news gathers spoke with their contacts at Coasta Guard / RCCL.

That line has been removed from the story now (you may have to hit ctrl-F5) to clear your cache.

At last notification from RCCL the Freedom was still assisting in the search. I will check for an update soon.

Can you imagine the uproar if a cruise line were to impliment a limitation on how many drinks you are allowed to have in a given period? I'm not thinking it would go over all that well.

How about personal responsibility?? How about saying I've had too much? Perhaps the cruise line should impliment a designated sober drinking buddy whose responsibilities include babysitting intoxicated adults and keeping them from climbing the railings.

You are so right it wouldn't go over well. I think that would be the ONE thing that would put me into the "I'll never cruise RC again" category.

Not sure what the cruise lines can do, especially with all the balcony cabins, since they are not in public view. I think it's simple enough to have security walk the open decks (so people "sleeping" there don't wake up and try to puke over the railing like that one guy), but the balconies seem impossible to police.

Not to be mean, but everyone is right about the "where were his friends" question too. I can't tell you how grateful I was when some new acquaintances brought my very drunk husband all the way back to our cabin one night at 3AM, instead if just figuring "he'll find his way".

There was some sort of mix up when our news gathers spoke with their contacts at Coasta Guard / RCCL.

That line has been removed from the story now (you may have to hit ctrl-F5) to clear your cache.

At last notification from RCCL the Freedom was still assisting in the search. I will check for an update soon.

Thanks for the news, please post any updates when you can.

Prayers for the family...

yeah on my cruise i'll be the paranoid passenger that remains at least 4 feet from all balconies at all times!

seriously though, before cruising if more people just talked with their families about this issue. just like drugs or anything else harmful to ourselves...i know after reading this my boyfriend and i will be having a discussion about the balconies. "i dont care if you've had too much to drink, you get mad at me, or think its funny to tease me but pretending or threatening to go overboard is scary and in no way shape or fun humorous!"

even though it should be common sense there's no harm in reminding each other how dangerous/scary the world is today.

this incident is very unfortunate and my prayers are with the boys friends and family!

i wish everyone cruising in the future a safe experience that is unforgetable for good memories, not tragic ones!

laura

How many times have you been wandering around the ship and see kids (with no parental supervision) climbing the rails? Have seen this way more than I would like. Usually try to at least indicate to them that is not a good idea. Fortunately in every case the little buggers have backed off the rail. Probably until we were out of site. I just can not believe parents allow there youngsters to run free on a cruise ship like that. Kids will be kids and climbing on stuff is a natural instinct almost. Would scare the daylites out of me. As noted above have not seen any reports of lost kids and hope we never do.

.....according to the scoreboard.....Carnival has a clear lead....;)

I am not sure if that was meant as a slam or what. Carnival has the most ships of all cruiselines so therefore the number of people overboard will be on the line with the most ships.

I don't get why the world stops for someone overboard. People fall and jump to their deaths all the time from bridges and buildings all the time. Just as with Noro, the cruiselines are not immune to this happening. Unfortunately they have to turn around and look for the victim.

I am not sure if that was meant as a slam or what. Carnival has the most ships of all cruiselines so therefore the number of people overboard will be on the line with the most ships.

I don't get why the world stops for someone overboard. People fall and jump to their deaths all the time from bridges and buildings all the time. Just as with Noro, the cruiselines are not immune to this happening. Unfortunately they have to turn around and look for the victim.

the world doesn't stop, but the cruise ship does - it's the law.

Not bitter here but if you read the whole article it states a female fell from the same ship off the coast of italy last year...wasn't that the voyager?
That was a suicide, her body was found and the family gave a press release.

They shouldn't look for the victim?!?

yeah on my cruise i'll be the paranoid passenger that remains at least 4 feet from all balconies at all times!

seriously though, before cruising if more people just talked with their families about this issue. just like drugs or anything else harmful to ourselves...i know after reading this my boyfriend and i will be having a discussion about the balconies. "i dont care if you've had too much to drink, you get mad at me, or think its funny to tease me but pretending or threatening to go overboard is scary and in no way shape or fun humorous!"

even though it should be common sense there's no harm in reminding each other how dangerous/scary the world is today.

this incident is very unfortunate and my prayers are with the boys friends and family!

i wish everyone cruising in the future a safe experience that is unforgetable for good memories, not tragic ones!

laura

there's the difference - you're taking responsibility for yourselves. too many people these days don't. People think there are no consequences to ANY action - no matter how stupid or ill-conceived.

I always talk to my kids about dumb behavior on ships. Right now they are too young to do stupid things (read they are more afraid of me taking away everything they own, than looking less brave than their friends), but it won't always be that way.

As for the lawsuits. People sue others all the time. Most lawsuits never make it to court and the cruise lines are very hard to sue. If someone sues, it's not really going to affect me, especially if it ends without a settlement. The lines have lawyers on staff to deal with suits. I've rarely heard of any ever getting far. They are pretty well protected.

If it makes someone feel better to start a suit, then there is nothing I can say to stop them and they do have that right.

Oh how I hate when these things happen! I have too many friends who have never cruised and hear this kind of thing and say "SEE! I'm not going on a cruise - I don't want to fall overboard!" You just can't fall overboard. Someone has to be doing something they should not do. When it happens and the cruise ship has to go into search & rescue mode, it adversely affects thousands of paying passengers and costs tons of money. I think the person overboard or their estate if they die, should be charged (sued) by the cruiseline and/or the coast guard. That might go a long way to address the personal responsiblity aspect.

Oh how I hate when these things happen! I have too many friends who have never cruised and hear this kind of thing and say "SEE! I'm not going on a cruise - I don't want to fall overboard!" You just can't fall overboard. Someone has to be doing something they should not do. When it happens and the cruise ship has to go into search & rescue mode, it adversely affects thousands of paying passengers and costs tons of money. I think the person overboard or their estate if they die, should be charged (sued) by the cruiseline and/or the coast guard. That might go a long way to address the personal responsiblity aspect.

If people are that drunk or that depressed to go overboard, I'm not sure this will be much of a deterrent. But don't have any better suggestions, either. :(

If people are that drunk or that depressed to go overboard, I'm not sure this will be much of a deterrent. But don't have any better suggestions, either. :(

I know you're probably right unfortunately. But maybe the idea of a huge financial consequence might at least slow down the types who get stupid drunk.

I have a few drinks on a cruise - no doubt. But the ONLY way you're ever going to find ME overboard is if someone picks me up and throws me - and good luck with all that :p .

I know you're probably right unfortunately. But maybe the idea of a huge financial consequence might at least slow down the types who get stupid drunk.

I have a few drinks on a cruise - no doubt. But the ONLY way you're ever going to find ME overboard is if someone picks me up and throws me - and good luck with all that :p .

We were told by a crew member on Rhapsody, that a man went overboard drunk and people threw all kinds of things down to him, chairs and furniture etc. and after they retrieved him (thank God) RCCL charged his sea pass card with $10k for the time, gas and articles thrown overboard. Can't, of course, confirm this though.

I have a dear and wonderful friend who posts here and who gets rip roaring drunk when she cruises. Her life, her choice. As she's stated to me, more than once, if she's not managed to go overboard, how can anyone else manage it? I suspect that it takes more than drunk, it probably takes someone who is in general careless, or thoughtless. Which means I'm in trouble and should stay away from the edge. I often do things without thinking them all the way through. I can understand how the couple went over cause she ran and jumped. Sounds like something bone-headed that I would do.

We were told by a crew member on Rhapsody, that a man went overboard drunk and people threw all kinds of things down to him, chairs and furniture etc. and after they retrieved him (thank God) RCCL charged his sea pass card with $10k for the time, gas and articles thrown overboard. Can't, of course, confirm this though.

To wit I say, bravo for RCI!

Latest from RCL as of 11 a.m.

The Freedom of the Seas has retraced it's path twice now -- they (the FOS) will sail a revised itinerary for the remainder of its sailing, which includes port calls in Puerto Rico and St. Maarten, both part of the original itinerary.

No other specifics were given -- the Coast Guard will continue it's search by air at this point due to the large search area.

No doubt. They will call alawyer when they get home or the Internatioal Cruise Victims. It is sad but come on even if you are sick how far over are you going to be. I just do not get it.
They've probably already emailed a lawyer or the International Cruise Victims Assn. or used their cell phone from the ship.

Archived