Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

The young man was from this area, so there is something in each newscast it seems... but not much has changed, things aren't looking hopeful for finding him... There is a picture of him here.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1512894/

Wow, just flew in from Goldsboro after looking at colleges in the area with my daughter. How sad.

The young man was from this area, so there is something in each newscast it seems... but not much has changed, things aren't looking hopeful for finding him... There is a picture of him here.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1512894/

Great his name is Smith. It is a sad thing but there is no way someone can fall over a balcony unless they are doing something stupid.

And? You wish to inflict more pain on the family? By charging them for what the coast guard does, find lost people in the sea.

No matter whether accidental or not, think about what you are saying? Isn't it enough for the family that their child is lost forever at sea or possibly their body recovered? And you want to send them a bill???????

Sorry, but when a patient is brought into a hospital, and passes, the family/insurance company still gets a bill for services rendered even if the patient expires.

Do you think they do medical evacs for free? No, you or your family gets a bill even from the coast guard. We had to pay medicare back for the money they paid towards my mother's nursing home when the estate was settled. Yes we all pay into medicare with our taxes, but they try to get some reimbursement from the estates.

The actions of this fellow have impacted the lives of thousands of people. While I feel empathy for the family I have no sympathy at all. Yes I want to send him a bill.

The couple overboard on Princess were out there about 5 hours. We were on that cruise. Long night, but Princess's Captain was awesome as were the rescuers. These two were very, very lucky to have been found at all, much less alive and still kicking!

They found the people on Princess because they where reported right away. It was not to around 830am that he was reported missing. They first had to check the ship them turn it around. They searched for him too.

For those close to the young man, I can't (and hope I will never have to) imagine the pain.

I think that lots of folks here seem to have forgotten that there is a real family with a real loss. Young people do stupid things all the time. I was in Europe with a teen group. We were on the 6th floor terrace of a hotel in Rome, and one of the kids climbed up and sat on the edge of the railing. She wasn't in my group, but I told her to GET DOWN. She gave me one of those "there goes a grown-up, over-reacting again" looks, but she GOT DOWN. No alcohol involved, just a situation that was less safe than it needed to be.

I guess I should feel honored to be online with so many perfect people, who not only have never done anything irresponsible, but know that no one they love has or will ever do anything irresponsible. I am not worthy, I guess. I don't belong to your group. I feel blessed that I and my loved ones have gotten through the stupid times largely unscathed.

Sorry, but when a patient is brought into a hospital, and passes, the family/insurance company still gets a bill for services rendered even if the patient expires.

Do you think they do medical evacs for free? No, you or your family gets a bill even from the coast guard. We had to pay medicare back for the money they paid towards my mother's nursing home when the estate was settled. Yes we all pay into medicare with our taxes, but they try to get some reimbursement from the estates.

The actions of this fellow have impacted the lives of thousands of people. While I feel empathy for the family I have no sympathy at all. Yes I want to send him a bill.

Sorry to seem picky (I'm a recovering bureaucrat), but I think you mean MedicAID not Medicare. Medicaire neither pays for nursing homes nor recaptures formerly protected assets.

I guess I should feel honored to be online with so many perfect people, who not only have never done anything irresponsible, but know that no one they love has or will ever do anything irresponsible. I am not worthy, I guess. I don't belong to your group. I feel blessed that I and my loved ones have gotten through the stupid times largely unscathed.

It's not about being perfect. It's about having responsibility and accountability for one's actions and NOT blaming everything and everyone else under the sun.

I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't feel badly for this guy's family.

When things like this are discussed in the forum maybe a separate thread should be started to discuss the financial implications, the billing of families for services rendered, and all the politics. That way people wouldn’t seem so cold and heartless.

I really feel for this family. 5.gif

When the consequence of a bad decision is fatal, most people learn by being told of the consequences. When the consequence of a bad decision (such as drinking and driving) can be fatal to others, people must be prevented to whatever extent is feasible from making that decision. That's a responsibility of society.

You are incorrect! It WAS Thomas Payne:

That government is best which governs least. by Thomas PaineThat government is best which governs least. by Thomas Paine.

www.quotedb.com/quotes/1213 - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

and:

Ivan Pavlov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaPavlov is widely known for first describing the phenomenon now known as classical conditioning in his experiments with dogs. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov - 59k -

This thread shouldn't be used for sparring but I had to correct the flamers quotes.

I feel for this young man's family. It was a sensless loss. I hope they can find solace in their faith, which they seem to have according to the article, their pastor is rushing to their aide. I am still praying for them.

It's not about being perfect. It's about having responsibility and accountability for one's actions and NOT blaming everything and everyone else under the sun.

I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't feel badly for this guy's family.

I have not read one thing that indicates that this family is blaming anyone. I agree that there should be a different thread for those who want to blast irresponsible behavior and discuss accountability in general. We know very little about the specifics of this incident, except that a young man is missing, and probably dead. All else seems to be speculation, and a lot of that is pretty cold-hearted, IMO.

During our last cruise, we noticed, that several people at different times were actually sitting on their balcony railings. Luckily there were no incidents.

However, no matter what the cause this is very tragic.

Sorry to seem picky (I'm a recovering bureaucrat), but I think you mean MedicAID not Medicare. Medicaire neither pays for nursing homes nor recaptures formerly protected assets.

Sorry off topic. But if we are being picky...

Medicare does pay for nursing home care after a hospital visit, if it is deemed that the patients condition will improve. They usually will cover 60 days and sometimes continue to pay a portion after that if some type of rehab is going on that is beneficial . :)

Wow, just flew in from Goldsboro after looking at colleges in the area with my daughter. How sad.

Oops, actually I was in Greensboro. NC sure has lots of towns ending in -boro, lol. Still, I know this will be big news here and hit many very hard. Whether due to foolishness or otherwise, it's still sad someone so young has been lost. I fear that this may somehow cause cruise lines to start eliminating or reducing balcony rooms in their new ships. A shame.

My thoughts exactly! While I'm reading everyones varying responses/thoughts to the OP I'm just sitting here thinking "How the

#$%! do you fall overboard?!?!" I've never found it to be difficult to stay on the insides of the railings. Hmmmm.

I do hope that the story has a happy ending.

Laura

unless your 7 feet tall, its almost impossible to accidentally fall overboard. Although sad, he may have been messing around or sitting on the railing and lost his balance...etc I hop ethey find him, but at this point it looks bleak

You are incorrect! It WAS Thomas Payne:

That government is best which governs least. by Thomas PaineThat government is best which governs least. by Thomas Paine.

www.quotedb.com/quotes/1213 - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

and:

Ivan Pavlov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaPavlov is widely known for first describing the phenomenon now known as classical conditioning in his experiments with dogs. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov - 59k -

This thread shouldn't be used for sparring but I had to correct the flamers quotes.

I feel for this young man's family. It was a sensless loss. I hope they can find solace in their faith, which they seem to have according to the article, their pastor is rushing to their aide. I am still praying for them.

My quote citation: http://www.quotationspage.com/search.php3?Search=&Author=Thomas+Jefferson&C=mgm&C=motivate&C=classic&C=coles&C=poorc&C=lindsly&C=net&page=5

and it may have been neither of them: "That government is best which governs least." ... It first saw print in 1837, in the editor's introduction to the first issue of United States Magazine and Democratic Review, and Henry David Thoureau later used it, without attribution, in "On Civil Disobedience."

I know who Pavlov is and what his experiments show/didn't show. To suggest that Pavlov had any applicability in this situation is bizarre. How do you condition a human to avoid falling overboard? "Beginning psych" isn't the answer to prevention of these tragedies.

When more of the details are known, we can speculate on how it could have been prevented. I would hope that whoever he was with could have anticipated that something like this could happen and would have intervened. Genesis IV.9. seems more applicable than Pavlov.

Oh I am sorry. Does your staff have different information than the OP's staff? Where did you learn the missing man was drunk? :confused:

I better get my staff on this! :)

I love your sense of humor, but check out the statistics. There is probably the occasional instance of a sober, non-suicidal overboard, but you'll have to dig deep to find one.

Here are the results of a poll I posted a long time ago...

Have you ever made a stupid choice that could have led to harm to yourself or others?

Yes, and I have the hospital bills/scars to show for it. 12 9.76%

Yes, but I got lucky. 111 90.24%

(note - "no, never" was supposed to have been one of the response options, but I messed up in posting the poll)

SADLY, here is the exact text of the post that went along with the poll....

I don't have the heart to judge the young man who went overboard. I am a 45 year-old responsible parent and adult, and yet, when I look back at my late teens and early 20's, I can think of multiple "guardian angel on hazard pay" moments.

If you never got into a vehicle with someone who had had a few too many, or got behind the wheel when you had; if you never went somewhere with someone you didn't know well enough; if you never did something that in the light of later years makes you shake your head in gratitude that nothing bad happened, good for you.

On the other hand, if you get the there-but-for-the-grace-of-God-go-I feeling when you read some of these stories, please join me in sympathetic thoughts for the family and hopes that our own kids make it through unscathed, as we did.

Your post gave me chills because it is so true. We have all done "stupid" things and thankfully lived to shake our heads at our own stupidity. My thoughts and prayers are with this man and his family.

I love your sense of humor, but check out the statistics. There is probably the occasional instance of a sober, non-suicidal overboard, but you'll have to dig deep to find one.

Actually a couple of reports I read said the Coast Guard said he was drinking and that may have been a factor.

Archived