Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

No you as a person can't equate it as the same. But should they decide that the family needs to pay for the cost of search and rescue it will be viewed exactly the same. An accidental fall overboard. It will not matter if the person in question is a child who was playing or an adult who was inebriated enough to do something stupid such as sit on the railing and fall off. Or even decide to commit suicide.

Like I said earlier, be careful what you wish for....it may come true.

Who is saying that family should be responsible for all search and rescues? From reading this thread it seems as though some are saying people who engaged in reckless behavior should be held responsbile (or their families in case of their demise). I personally do not believe that this should be true, but I did not even get the sense that some people were saying that even in true accidents where no clear misconduct/risky behavior was involved that families should be held responsible. Perhaps I missed a post?

Who is saying that family should be responsible for all search and rescues? From reading this thread it seems as though some are saying people who engaged in reckless behavior should be held responsbile (or their families in case of their demise). I personally do not believe that this should be true, but I did not even get the sense that some people were saying that even in true accidents where no clear misconduct/risky behavior was involved that families should be held responsible. Perhaps I missed a post?

That is ridiculous. My goodness gracious, if someone falls overboard how long are you going to wait before you go look for him? Are you going to conduct a whole investigation into his/her conduct? Well, SAM had 3 drinks and fell overboard so we'll send FOS to aid in his rescue but Barney, that Barney, he had 8 drinks and fell overboard, so we'll send FOS onto San Juan and he'll just have to dog paddle until the Coast Guard shows up. He should have been responsible for his actions.

Or, we'll send the bill so Barney's family but not Sam's, mmmkay. Or how about we make them pay before we hail the Coast Guard? Does that seem fair? We'll only pluck the rich and responsible from the water, not the poor and stupid.

These are human beings, we are talking about people. THis guy who fell overboard was someone's son/boyfriend/best friend. You should be lucky he wasn't yours.

I have 2 suggestions regarding drunks falling overboard -

1. Before anyone is served a drink, require that they sign a waiver that they are not to be rescued when they fall overboard. I know that the Coast Guard will probably ignore the waiver but who knows.

2. Before anyone is served a drink, require that they put on a personal flotation device with a locator beacon. Design the device so that it can only be taken off by someone who has checked their blood alcohol level first.

Anyone else have any other technilogical solutions?

DON

If you would actually read the information presented before posting, you would know the time last seen (Monday 1:45am) and the time reported missing ("about 7 hours later"). NY and Tucson are only around 100 miles apart? They must have moved one of them.

Responded to privately, Amazing the attitude people can get behind a keyboard. Probably 4'8 80 pounds and picked on all his life.

Granny J - I didn't see any mention of alcohol in the article.

- why do you say that??

Granny J came to the same instantaneous assumption that I did!!

You see,I'm 57...getting near to Granny J's age,

and by the time you get up here, you've learned life's lessons well,

and usually ..

young males (under 25?)

After Midnight (when most silly stuff happens?)

on a cruise (bedlam for many youth?)...

pretty well indicates some degree of alcohol consumption.

Hello-o-o??

Look at the other young guy, age 22, on his way to the disco

decides to slide down a bannister rail.

It's 12:30 a.m. - he's still dead straight,right? - riiiiight!

He dropped five floors, and wound up dead in the Bermuda Hospital, by 3 a.m.

- gosh what a shame: threw his life away, doing stupid stuff, after midnight!

Well, I just think there should be a guarantee that you can't die while on vacation, dontcha think?

Granny J came to the same instantaneous assumption that I did!!

You see,I'm 57...getting near to Granny J's age,

and by the time you get up here, you've learned life's lessons well,

and usually ..

young males (under 25?)

After Midnight (when most silly stuff happens?)

on a cruise (bedlam for many youth?)...

pretty well indicates some degree of alcohol consumption.

Hello-o-o??

I asked that question very shortly after the man overboard was reported and I had not yet seen anything in the press that indicated alcohol was involved. I try to avoid jumping to conclusions and/or stating my personal assumptions as fact, especially for issues this serious. I was simply asking GrannyJ if she had seen some additional information elsewhere. The press has since revealed that alcohol was a factor. And yes, that is consistent with nearly all the other "man overboards" in his age bracket.

I've studied life's lessons too, but for me one of them was to avoid jumping to conclusions before all the facts are known.

And the Hello-o-o?? was a little rude, IMHO.

I asked that question very shortly after the man overboard was reported and I had not yet seen anything in the press that indicated alcohol was involved. I try to avoid jumping to conclusions and/or stating my personal assumptions as fact, especially for issues this serious. I was simply asking GrannyJ if she had seen some additional information elsewhere. The press has since revealed that alcohol was a factor. And yes, that is consistent with nearly all the other "man overboards" in his age bracket.

I've studied life's lessons too, but for me one of them was to avoid jumping to conclusions before all the facts are known.

And the Hello-o-o?? was a little rude, IMHO.

I think we have too many pages here and the discussion is starting to loop. There is a lot of discussion between pages 1 and 15. :eek:

Terri, I suspect what happened with the person who quoted you from the beginning of the thread is that they had not read through all of the pages,

so that response was lifted and became out of context.

I think we have too many pages here and the discussion is starting to loop. There is a lot of discussion between pages 1 and 15. :eek:

Terri, I suspect what happened with the person who quoted you from the beginning of the thread is that they had not read through all of the pages,

so that response was lifted and became out of context.

Yes, I think you're right. Reminds me of those years-old threads that somehow get resurrected and people start posting like it just happened yesterday, not noticing the date. ;)

Yes, I think you're right. Reminds me of those years-old threads that somehow get resurrected and people start posting like it just happened yesterday, not noticing the date. ;)

That D&*#N search tool! 4.gif

I know I'm getting in on this thread very late but it has been THE topic of discussion at my office. I work for a Houston based wholesale grocery company who sponsors a trip for our retail customers. To make a long story shorter about 300 of my fellow workers and our customers are on the Freedom and have been in contact with our office throughout the past few days. There seems to be a multitude of differing stories even from first hand accounts. They will return to work on Monday so I will post some of their comments Monday night.

We just got off the Freedom this morning. Rumors were rampant on the cruise about the whereabouts of the missing passenger from the start. Every hour from about 8:30 a.m. onwards on Monday the captain was making announcements, asking passengers to look for the missing young man...his pic was on the TV in the staterooms.

I found most other passengers to be very concerned about the missing man's family. When the captain would come on the speakers, it would become very quiet...everybody wanted to hear that this young man had been found alive somewhere.

Some passengers were angry about the itinerary change..... which is understandable to a point, but it wasn't RCI's fault this guy jumped, fell, or whatever happened to him. RCI issued a $200 per passenger credit for the change in itinerary which was good.

I really feel RCI did a great job in handling this. They looked in every nook and cranny on the ship and they did a decent job of keeping passengers informed in a very trying situation. They really seemed to be doing what they could for the young man's family.

Just my opinion, but I would be interested to hear what others thought as well.

Elizabeth

He and his family live right here in the town that I do. The local newspaper is giving it a little coverage, but not as much as you would think for a small-town boy missing from a cruise ship.

Has anyone heard any new updates?

I was also on the Freedom sailing and agree that RCCL did a very good job with the situation. The captain made numerous announcements, picture was on a tv channel and by around noon or so, I saw crew members on the pool deck with 8x10 pictures of him. They were showing the pic and looking for him. That evening, while watching the webcam from my tv, you could see crew members at the very front of the ship, standing up on that small part that sticks out at the bow with binocculars. That night, from my balcony, I could see the search lights combing the waters. When the captain made announcements, you could hear the worry in his voice. The FBI boarded in San Juan to seal and check his cabin. We did each receive 200 obc for missing St Thomas which I thought was very generous. Everyone that I observed seemed to understand and were concerned. It is a terrible thing to have happen but I hope RCCL is not shown as the bad guy here. I never really heard too much about the circumstances such as was he drinking or anything.

Tina

We just got off the Freedom this morning. Rumors were rampant on the cruise about the whereabouts of the missing passenger from the start. Every hour from about 8:30 a.m. onwards on Monday the captain was making announcements, asking passengers to look for the missing young man...his pic was on the TV in the staterooms.

I found most other passengers to be very concerned about the missing man's family. When the captain would come on the speakers, it would become very quiet...everybody wanted to hear that this young man had been found alive somewhere.

Some passengers were angry about the itinerary change..... which is understandable to a point, but it wasn't RCI's fault this guy jumped, fell, or whatever happened to him. RCI issued a $200 per passenger credit for the change in itinerary which was good.

I really feel RCI did a great job in handling this. They looked in every nook and cranny on the ship and they did a decent job of keeping passengers informed in a very trying situation. They really seemed to be doing what they could for the young man's family.

Just my opinion, but I would be interested to hear what others thought as well.

Elizabeth

I also am just off the Freedom. I too feel that RC did a great job handling this. I am so sad for the family. I felt terrible also for the captain. YOu could just here the sadness and concern in his voice with every announcement.

I thought the $200 credit was a very nice gesture. I was disappointed in the itinerary change, because I would have loved to see St. Thomas, but it was not RC fault. I have heard many rumours about the man and his family (alcohol, family probs,etc) but the only thing that matters is that someone lost their life at sea. It breaks my heart to think of that and the last night of the cruise, and even coming off the ship, I could not help but think about him. I think of his last day, walking on a ship, having a good time, I am sure, and then something tragic happens. Whatever the reason, he went over the side......sad no matter how you slice it.

Terri, I agree 100% with you. If people don't "own up" to what really causes these problems the next thing you know there will be no more balcony cabins because.........people can get plastered and fall overboard. Guess next would be securing every area on the ship to make it "overboard proof".

Don't misunderstand, I feel so much for the family of this young man and hate to see a life ended in such a senseless fashion. Hopefully he will be found safely but time is running out. People just need to be careful. Drinking is okay, just know WHEN TO STOP!!!

After reading all these posts I am happy and proud that Rccl went to search for the missing person, could you imagine if they didn't? Why would anyone not want them to turn around? I could never expect a ship to keep going knowing someone is missing.

After reading all these posts I am happy and proud that Rccl went to search for the missing person, could you imagine if they didn't? Why would anyone not want them to turn around? I could never expect a ship to keep going knowing someone is missing.

Agree!

The thread about the news coverage of disgruntled passengers has a rumor from people who sailed that week that the family may have locked the young man out on the balcony as he was very drunk and they did not want him vomiting all over the cabin: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578782 Last page of the thread as of today (6/27)

The thread about the news coverage of disgruntled passengers has a rumor from people who sailed that week that the family may have locked the young man out on the balcony as he was very drunk and they did not want him vomiting all over the cabin: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578782 Last page of the thread as of today (6/27)

Just to reiterate that was a RUMOR.

I was on the Grand Princess sailing that had 2 people fall overboard (same event) and this current event shows how those two people were very lucky to be found. Of course, it was just minutes later that the bridge was notified of the incident so that the search area was more defined, but it still took 5 hours to find them.

I was on the Grand Princess sailing that had 2 people fall overboard (same event) and this current event shows how those two people were very lucky to be found. Of course, it was just minutes later that the bridge was notified of the incident so that the search area was more defined, but it still took 5 hours to find them.

And they didn't start looking for this young man until many hours after he was last seen. There really wasn't much chance for him to have survived. So sad. I hope the couple from Princess realizes just how lucky they were.

Just to reiterate that was a RUMOR.

Not only is that a rumor, but these threads are filled with speculation as to what exactly happened. I don’t think we will ever know for sure.

Not only is that a rumor, but these threads are filled with speculation as to what exactly happened. I don’t think we will ever know for sure.

Which is fine, cause curiosity is a good thing, but some stuff is no one's beeswax.

Archived