Another man overboard (Freedom of the Seas)

After arriving at the Miami airport on 6/16, we were told by an airline employee, that 11 Cubans were caught climbing from a row boat on to a carnival cruise ship, after it left Miami pier. The coast guard did not interfere with removing the 11 cubans until the ship was to get into international waters. That way they would be returned to Cuba.

I would like to know how someone can get on to the ship, just like how someone can fall overboard!

Assuming these 11 cubans were trying to get to America, why would they be trying to stowaway on an outbound ship after having rowed all the way to Miami?? I think you need to be a bit more skeptical about the stories you hear.

Nliedel ~ I am so sorry to learn that about you. I did not know that before. The pain must be unbearable. I lost my husband at 27 years old, but the pain of that could never measure the lose of a child. E-Beth

Sincerely hoping they find the yound man or at least the body so his family has closure.

I bet the two Coast Guard Famous-Class Medium Endurance Cutters I photographed on Friday while aboard the Enchantment off the coast of Florida are out searching for this young man.

I had no idea when I saw the Thetis and Mohawk that they'd (probably) be doing Search and Rescue a few days later.

Very sad thing...

I am in the "don't know how you accidentally fall over" and the "personal responsibility" camp.

That said, if the authorities determine that it was not accidental, who pays for the search time and the Coast Guard, etc.? Why are the families not held responsible?

I agree that regardless of the circumstances, it's an awful thing for a family to endure.

I'm relatively new to this whole mother thing (a 2 yr old, 4 yr old, and 6 yr old) and just the mention of that club makes the tears flow. I literally can't fathom the pain, and I'm so sorry for anyone in that club. I'm sure the pain is not lessened by any circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

I hope they find this young man safe and sound.

To all who have lost a child....I wish I could wrap my arms around you.

I cannot imagine the pain and fear the family of that young man must feel. Nothing changes the outcome so it doesn't really matter if he was suicidal, foolish, intoxicated or the victim of foul play. It's still tragic.

I am in the "don't know how you accidentally fall over" and the "personal responsibility" camp.

That said, if the authorities determine that it was not accidental, who pays for the search time and the Coast Guard, etc.? Why are the families not held responsible?

I agree that regardless of the circumstances, it's an awful thing for a family to endure.

And? You wish to inflict more pain on the family? By charging them for what the coast guard does, find lost people in the sea.

No matter whether accidental or not, think about what you are saying? Isn't it enough for the family that their child is lost forever at sea or possibly their body recovered? And you want to send them a bill???????

This is so sad. I feel bad for the friends and family of the missing man. And I also feel bad for RCCL. The local news here seems to want to play the story up as the cruise ship's fault. But how can you protect every drunken fool from himself? :(

It was also mentioned that the young man had been drinking and they felt that this was a "likely factor in the accident".

And? You wish to inflict more pain on the family? By charging them for what the coast guard does, find lost people in the sea.

No matter whether accidental or not, think about what you are saying? Isn't it enough for the family that their child is lost forever at sea or possibly their body recovered? And you want to send them a bill???????

Maybe (maybe) if people knew that they (or their survivors) would be held accountable, it would stop SOME of them from doing stupid stuff.

I'm sure SOMEONE has to pay for all the recovery efforts. Why should that cost get passed on to say, insurance companies (if that's what happens) and then that cost ultimately passed down to the passengers?

When people die in hospitals their families are distraught, but it doesn't give them a free pass on the services rendered.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a shame that so many people seem to be going overboard lately (and I do feel sorry for their survivors), but I still think there needs to be responsibility and I don't think the cruiselines are responsible.

God Bless all of you that have lost children. Being a nurse I have the seen the pain of loved ones when a child dies. I have had friends and relatives who have lost children and it is so very difficult.

Every mom out there holds a special place for you in their hearts because what we have feared the most you have experienced.

E-Beth I have thought how nice you always are in your postings. I am sorry for the loss of your husband.

We can get so caught up with our postings and emotions but at the end of the day how little it really means. I hope you all know you are in our thoughts.

Laura

BecciBoo,

Should everyone else have to suffer for someone else's mistakes though? And please don't get me wrong, I totally sympathize with this man's family and friends. It's definitely a tragic accident.

That is precisely the point. We shouldn't, but if the general public would quit trying to make excuses for their children's misbehaviour and shoulder responsibility for their mistakes and let their children learn the same thing, then everyone would learn to be more responsible for their actions and society as a whole would not have to TAKE responsibilty for everyone. We lose our personal freedoms when the governing body has to make laws to see that the safety of some outweigh the rights of others. We as a society are too concerned with kids sensitive psychies, we should be more concerned about helping them develop stronger psychies. Like someone else said, everyone in America is a victim, nobody owns up to their part in any consequence. Its the old "the devil made me do it" thing. Its peoples lack of respect and irresponsibility that does it. This is a general statement about the state of our society and the subject of cruise lines having the impetice put on them to try to take care of us by making more rules, not an attack on this family or their son. I can't say anything that will help that. I just know things are not where they should be in our country and the world either for that matter. We can't become more responsible by establishing more and more laws and rules. We must become more responsible by teaching our kids to be...that's all. Off box.

just gotta say it:

Thomas Payne (sic) once said, "That government which governs least, governs best." His comment on too many rules. That was Thomas Jefferson, not Paine. If we don't start allowing people to suffer the consequences of their behaviour, the state of our society will never recover from too much governing. We have grown to be a completely irresponsible society because we aren't made responsible. People don't need more protecting from RCI about drinking too much or acting too silly, they just need to suffer the consequences and grow up. Didn't anybody ever take beginning psych? Pavlovian behaviour training works best. Pavlov? You should have taken some advanced psych. Once burned, twice shy. That's how humans learn...by doing the wrong thing. If we don't allow them to do the wrong thing, they will repeat it.

When the consequence of a bad decision is fatal, most people learn by being told of the consequences. When the consequence of a bad decision (such as drinking and driving) can be fatal to others, people must be prevented to whatever extent is feasible from making that decision. That's a responsibility of society.

Assuming these 11 cubans were trying to get to America, why would they be trying to stowaway on an outbound ship after having rowed all the way to Miami?? I think you need to be a bit more skeptical about the stories you hear.
I think this may be a gross distortion of the recent instance of 8 Cubans picked up by a cruise ship (I forget which) off the coast of Cuba while trying to row to the U.S.

I'm going to have to counter those who believe that increased fines will serve as a deterrent. The greatest thing that we have to lose is our lives, and if that isn't enough to deter someone from having an onboard "accident" I don't know what is. Whether drunk or bent on suicide, the last thing that that person is thinking about is how their decision will affect their family. Unfortunately, one wrong move and that decision will affect their family for the rest of their lives. :(

That is precisely the point. We shouldn't, but if the general public would quit trying to make excuses for their children's misbehaviour and shoulder responsibility for their mistakes and let their children learn the same thing, then everyone would learn to be more responsible for their actions and society as a whole would not have to TAKE responsibilty for everyone. We lose our personal freedoms when the governing body has to make laws to see that the safety of some outweigh the rights of others. We as a society are too concerned with kids sensitive psychies, we should be more concerned about helping them develop stronger psychies. Like someone else said, everyone in America is a victim, nobody owns up to their part in any consequence. Its the old "the devil made me do it" thing. Its peoples lack of respect and irresponsibility that does it. This is a general statement about the state of our society and the subject of cruise lines having the impetice put on them to try to take care of us by making more rules, not an attack on this family or their son. I can't say anything that will help that. I just know things are not where they should be in our country and the world either for that matter. We can't become more responsible by establishing more and more laws and rules. We must become more responsible by teaching our kids to be...that's all. Off box.

I agree. This is not a case of someone who had a heart attack while onboard and had to be med-evac'd. This was something that was PREVENTABLE with just an iota of common sense.

When the consequence of a bad decision is fatal, most people learn by being told of the consequences.

Perhaps the cruise lines should put up signs that say "Caution: Deep water, no jumping"

Archived