Photographers - Pictures

Krazy Kruizers

What are the price of the photos

The price of the professional photos can be pretty pricey. If I remember correctly, the last one I purchased on the Maasdam of my son and his friends was $24.95 for the 8x10... they will try and rope you in to the package deal and buy more than one - if you are interested in purchasing photos, look for the package deals.

We purchased some stock photos of the Maasdam (5x7) and were given a small HAL photo album along with the 5 photos. I think the cost for all five and the album was $29.95.

Hope this helps. :)

I agree with those who say it is no big deal; walk on by and say No, Thank you. The problem is there are times (such as when arriving at HMC) when it is not possible no walk on by. The path is blocked by the Photographers.

Sometimes the gangway backs up when pax are trying to get off the ship. If you are back in line and cannot even see the entryway to the ship let alone the bottom of the gangway.....how can you walk on by? You would assume you would be 'line cutting' to go ahead of others who were there before you. We have every reason to think that persons with mobility issues may be having trouble getting down the gangway; perhaps the machine that scans the ID cards is 'acting up'; or folks are waiting until they get to the scanner to start digging it out.......How can one know it is the jerky Photographers blocking the bottom of the gangway taking pictures that is holding everyone up.

That is totally unacceptiable IMO

Linda --

I honestly don't understand why this is a problem. Perhaps someone could expain it to me.

Someday, you will understand. You will hit a photog who is attempting to make the quota, or increase his commission. He (most likely) might start getting desperate and become a little too forward, a little snarky. When it's working on a nice cruise ship or taking photos of fussy little kids for the rest of your life, you'd get desperate, too.

We don't try to cut to the front of the line... we wait til we get to the bottom, when they try and get us to pose, DH puts his hand up and says, "no thank you" - on occasion, they've actually still grabbed his arm pulling on him to get him to the "toe-line" for the picture.

We don't care for the aggresiveness of some of the photogs.

If, for some reason, we want a photo taken, we will... I think they should respect it when someone politely declines... :)

I have to admit that I like the formal pictures that were taken of us on two of our cruises, and another picture taken at our table in the dining room on a third cruise is also quite nice. They are some of the best pictures we have of us. I like looking back on what we used to look like "looking our best." As far as pictures on the gangway go, I think the process just gets in the way and slows down everyone else (like me who won’t buy a gangway picture), but some people like those pictures, and I have no problem extending the courtesy of not getting in the way of the photographer and his/her subject. I extend that courtesy to tourists in my home town all the time. Why not extend the same courtesy to the folks who are on a cruise?

Linda --

Someday, you will understand. You will hit a photog who is attempting to make the quota, or increase his commission. He (most likely) might start getting desperate and become a little too forward, a little snarky. When it's working on a nice cruise ship or taking photos of fussy little kids for the rest of your life, you'd get desperate, too.

Tom-

You are killing me! I love your edited "one liners" :D

I am so glad they got rid of the pirate in the dining room too! It was my least favorite photo-op!

Linda --

Tomc you are right. Sooner or later you are going to run across one of these photo people who get snarkey. It has only happened to us on one cruise. Most of the time a No Thank You does the trick.

There are times you cannot walk by. There was a group of us that got off the tender at HMC and got stuck standing on the ramp. The photogs had the top of the ramp blocked. One person in the party has had 2 hip replacements. This was not very pleasant for him, because of the angle of the ramp.

Actually, I liked the pirate. She was cute and I bought the picture. What I'm grateful for is the keyring from formal night (posed as we went in) with my mother and me on it. She's gone now, but the keyring goes everywhere I drive.

We had a male pirate - he was not so good looking... ;)

It sounds as if you have fond memories and momentos of past cruises. :)

We have many formal and professional cruise photos, even a couple of pirate ones. I just don't feel we need too many more. :)

Especially, when we feel we are being forced into posing while trying to eat. :(

I have to admit that I like the formal pictures that were taken of us on two of our cruises, and another picture taken at our table in the dining room on a third cruise is also quite nice. They are some of the best pictures we have of us. I like looking back on what we used to look like "looking our best." As far as pictures on the gangway go, I think the process just gets in the way and slows down everyone else (like me who won’t buy a gangway picture), but some people like those pictures, and I have no problem extending the courtesy of not getting in the way of the photographer and his/her subject. I extend that courtesy to tourists in my home town all the time. Why not extend the same courtesy to the folks who are on a cruise?
The problem is not one of extending courtesy to fellow cruisers. There is no reason that these photo opportunities could be set off to the side. If you want your picture taken getting off the gangway, then you can do that. However, they purposely put them in locations that block the gangway, exiting the tender to HMC, etc. on purpose, to try and prevent people from escaping without their picture being taken.

However, they purposely put them in locations that block the gangway, exiting the tender to HMC, etc. on purpose, to try and prevent people from escaping without their picture being taken.

I have not been to HMC, so I will not try to speak about what goes on there.

It might be that you are right. Perhaps it is all about making sure the photographer is not avoided, but I doubt it.

In a perfect world, perhaps gangways are wider. I don't know what "perfect" is. In this world, there are some gangways that are not wide enough for people to pass easily behind the photo-op, however, I am not prepared to conclude that they were designed that way to prevent passengers from avoiding the photographer. I imagine that it might be that they were designed to be sure that no one could walk down without being within reach of a handhold at every step of the way, and it might be that they were designed to discourage people from pushing past others in front of them. In short, they might have been designed with safety in mind. The designers might have viewed an orderly line as safer than a rushing crowd.

The problem is not one of extending courtesy to fellow cruisers. There is no reason that these photo opportunities could be set off to the side. If you want your picture taken getting off the gangway, then you can do that. However, they purposely put them in locations that block the gangway, exiting the tender to HMC, etc. on purpose, to try and prevent people from escaping without their picture being taken.

Agree 100% with this. A couple of times I saw them off to the side, but lately they are blocking the way. There is no reason to do this. The same thought crossed my mind, they do it on purpose. :mad:

Now we just walk around the photogs and never have a problem. Sometimes I'll tell them I'm in the witness protection program (which may or may not be true).

TedC- What an original excuse!!! You wouldn't mind if we borrow it would you??? Regardless of whether you are in the program or not, that comment is bound to make the photographer stop and think, at least long enough for you and yours to flee!!! Thanks for the laugh!:cool:

We don't try to cut to the front of the line... we wait til we get to the bottom, when they try and get us to pose, DH puts his hand up and says, "no thank you" - on occasion, they've actually still grabbed his arm pulling on him to get him to the "toe-line" for the picture.

We don't care for the aggresiveness of some of the photogs.

If, for some reason, we want a photo taken, we will... I think they should respect it when someone politely declines... :)

"grabbed his arm pulling on him" That is awful. They best never put a hand on me. No one touches me without my permission and I am not shy about telling those who put a hand on me for any reason to kindly remove it now!!

Grabbing a person's arm and pulling on him is assaultive. IMO

who knew pictures could envoke so much passion in all of us?

May of 03 - zuiderdam - back before the early boarding I read about now...we waited and waited to board. We were in an S suite, so we had priority boarding. Finally, around 1:30 we were allowed to board..but a line immediately started to form....you guessed it, the photographers were at it and holding up the line.... We were all sitting and waiting for hours..couldn't they have set up a station and let people know it was there to get their pictures taken while we were waiting? Pictures were taken IN the terminal..not on the ship.....

I don't like the 8x10's .. take up too much space I think a 5x7 is a nice size picture.

We usually do seek out a photo op on the formal nights. but, we were dismayed photo's are only sold in 8x10 size. We do usually purchase one, but we find ourselves making a smaller copy at home for display. (I know, photo copy rights, but I bought it..and I'm not selling it ....)

We love our digital camera..and there are always friendly folks around happy to take our picture. I know we always offer to take photos of others too.

I think it's great photo services are offered. And we do usually purchase 1-2 pictures each cruise. However, I wish they weren't so pushy and I really wish they would set up out of the traffic patterns. People will seek them out if they want a photo. They may find they will waste less paper ......

Peggy Sue

For the most part I prefer making my own photos -- group and otherwise -- with my digital camera. The ones taken with my camera -- even why done by the table stewards -- are superior to the ones done by the photographic staff.

I've seen some photographers be a little pushy ... but I have no problem telling the photographers to lay off. Since I usually let them take photos (even though I'm not buy many) when I've told them "no" they've usually been good about it. However, I'm with S7S: anytime anyone touches another person, uninvited and for any reason other than to help, assist, or keep someone from being injured, that is unacceptable.

Most of the time, I've found "no thank you" to be enough. I agree that HMC is the biggest offender. I also got 5x7s instead of 8x10s by refusing nicely to buy the larger ones. They don't like selling the smaller photos but they will.

last week on the Amsterdam.. the photo developing was about $14 for a single set of 24 and $20 for a double set. They use the usual machines found in any drug store these days. Normally I wouldn't have had any developed...but my first roll spent time in too many airport and ship xray machines to risk two more exposures. the other ones I brought home with me (should be back tomorrow) as I could count the number of xray exposures (3 or 4) and according to a photo-freak friend film under 800 asa should be fine at that level. BUT DON"T PUT ANY UNDEVELOPED FILM OR INSTANT CAMERAS IN YOUR CHECKED BAGS. they really get zapped...and do we get glow in the dark clothes also?

the photo's taken by the ship's photog's varied from $7 for a small one to $20 for a 8 x10 of the formal night. I did buy several since I practically have to hog-tie my mother to have a photo taken...and the ship's photog's were pushy enough to get a couple of great ones (and they do have really good camera's)

so there's a benefit to the pushy-ness

Anniecat

Ryndam, Feb 14 2005

Amsterdam, August 8 2004

(1) What do you think of HAL's ship photographers? (i.e. - too pushy?)

On the Statendam, I didn't feel like they were pushy... but they were mildly annoying.

(2) What do you think of the prices of the pictures?

I was appalled by the prices!! OUCH!!

(3) Do you buy a lot of pictures?

We didn't buy any... but if I had liked them, I may have considered it.

(4) Would like to see more of the 5 by 7 photos rather than a lot of larger photos?

I would definitely be more likely to buy a 5x7, and even *more* likely to buy a 4x6!!

Has anyone else noticed people who go into the photo gallery with their digital cameras and take pictures of the pictures instead of buying them? :rolleyes:

We were on the Maasdam in January, and didn't find the paparazzi pushy or rude in any way...In fact, the 8x10's are all over the house!! They turned out great...plus it's not like we have time to get all dressed up in formals and go to a professional photographer and have pictures made. I was glad to have our picture taken, and even happier when they turn out well, and most all of ours were fantastic!! What wonderful memories!

Maybe it's because it was our first cruise, and we were just too giddy to be annoyed!!

Melody

ASM

You mentioned that you were able to get some 5 by 7's made from larger photos. We have asked in the past to have a smaller photo made when we saw something we liked and we were refused. So we haven't asked anymore. After all they do keep the negatives until the cruise ends.

What price did you pay for the 5 by 7 photos?

Archived