Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

The boys passed with flying colors!!!!.

Great news - congratulations to John and Wexler!

We've booked Raylene's first cruise on Celebrity in December, switched from a transatlantic that would have followed a long & complicated Europe trip (too much for a novice assistance dog partner like me.) We had expected the Dogs for the Deaf wait list to take much longer, but were lucky.

Excited because one port is St. Croix where we lived for nine years. Will spend the day with good friends who are also cruising buddies. We can't wait to introduce Raylene to many old pals there.

I'm going to start digging into the paperwork issues and already dug back through some of this thread's postings (impossible to read it all, so forgive me when I start bringing up things that may have been answered years ago.)

Stayed tuned. Questions will come later.

The boys passed with flying colors!!!! 3 more years with this bum! ;)

Roz, I heard about the heartworm/flea and tick pill. I didn't think it was out yet. Our vet mentioned it to us last time we went.

Cindy, I hope your time with John is more than 3 years! :p

Congrats Wex!! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Great news - congratulations to John and Wexler!

We've booked Raylene's first cruise on Celebrity in December, switched from a transatlantic that would have followed a long & complicated Europe trip (too much for a novice assistance dog partner like me.) We had expected the Dogs for the Deaf wait list to take much longer, but were lucky.

Excited because one port is St. Croix where we lived for nine years. Will spend the day with good friends who are also cruising buddies. We can't wait to introduce Raylene to many old pals there.

I'm going to start digging into the paperwork issues and already dug back through some of this thread's postings (impossible to read it all, so forgive me when I start bringing up things that may have been answered years ago.)

Stayed tuned. Questions will come later.

I love all the plans that you're making, including Raylene in all of them!

Please ask any questions, we're happy to help.

I just got all my paperwork in order for Mexico and the California Coast.

Your Vet is the best source of information for what you will need for your Service Dog to cruise with you.

great news John and Wex--now you can take it easy for another three years. I knew you would make the grade.

Roz---a package is in the mail for you. :D

Caribbean Chris---so glad that you are planning your cruise. I am sure you will have a great time and with all the good people here, you shouldn't have any trouble getting all your paper work together and whatever else is needed. You will get a lot of attention. I loved meeting Wex ,Cindy and John, when we cruised at the same time. And we had the pleasure of taking care of Wex for a few hours, while John and Cindy went ashore. I love that fur baby.

Hello, everyone, I don't want to forget all of you. Hope your weekend is good and everyone is doing well.

No collar on the stray but if she comes in the yard again, I will try to get her. She is getting closer but doesn't show up every day. We even bought her dog food. It was funny, when we were grocery shopping, DH and I had the same idea. We both showed at the pet food isle, looking for a can or two of dog food.

We haven't heard anything from CCI on the release dog, so maybe we didn't get it, this time. We will wait a little longer, but a dog is in our future---we are getting too old, to wait too long.LOL In the mean time, I will still feed the strays.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and Hugs to all.

Trudy

great news John and Wex--now you can take it easy for another three years. I knew you would make the grade.

Roz---a package is in the mail for you. :D

Caribbean Chris---so glad that you are planning your cruise. I am sure you will have a great time and with all the good people here, you shouldn't have any trouble getting all your paper work together and whatever else is needed. You will get a lot of attention. I loved meeting Wex ,Cindy and John, when we cruised at the same time. And we had the pleasure of taking care of Wex for a few hours, while John and Cindy went ashore. I love that fur baby.

Hello, everyone, I don't want to forget all of you. Hope your weekend is good and everyone is doing well.

No collar on the stray but if she comes in the yard again, I will try to get her. She is getting closer but doesn't show up every day. We even bought her dog food. It was funny, when we were grocery shopping, DH and I had the same idea. We both showed at the pet food isle, looking for a can or two of dog food.

We haven't heard anything from CCI on the release dog, so maybe we didn't get it, this time. We will wait a little longer, but a dog is in our future---we are getting too old, to wait too long.LOL In the mean time, I will still feed the strays.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and Hugs to all.

Trudy

Thanks Trudy. I'll keep my eye out for the package. You have a good weekend too!

I cried my way through the article. I love these wonderful dogs.

Horty and I are up late watching movies together! He's such great company.

Morning Roz, I did notice you were "up" late, and hope you're having a lovely time watching movies with your snuggly pal - who ate all the popcorn???;):p

Btw, bought the rice cakes .. Organic, low salt, low fat .... Not just the supermarket own brand! Then I bought some low fat peanut butter to put into a Kong toy, thinking that's going to be great! All in the name of healthy eating doggy style.

Hmmm,.... Well got M and P all excited, new treats, just wait till you see what Mum's got for you, these are lovely, all the dogs on CC just love these, etc etc..... Yum, yum, as I'm breaking off a piece of rice cake, they sitting down, high fives, being good dogs, more high fives ..... Handed them a piece each .... Well you should have seen the looks I got! Missy P took hers, then spat it out and you know that quite disgusted look only dogs can give you! Then Big boy, he is such a gentle taker, never grabs anything, took the piece and to his credit did take a couple of chews, and then spat the bits out!

OK, let's try the Kong and peanut butter. Maybe first better let them lick a bit of Peanut butter to try .... I got the sniff and "phufffff" refusal from MissP with an instant walk off ... I got the roll of the whites of the eyes from the boy!

So failed, failed .... But I did stuff the Kongs with some low fat treats broken up and they has such fun trying to work out how to get the bits out! So I suppose they've used up as much calories working out with the Kongs as is in the treats themselves!

Have a great Sunday everyone .... :). We are off out for lunch in an hour - lovely fish restaurant on the coast.

Morning Roz, I did notice you were "up" late, and hope you're having a lovely time watching movies with your snuggly pal - who ate all the popcorn???;):p

Btw, bought the rice cakes .. Organic, low salt, low fat .... Not just the supermarket own brand! Then I bought some low fat peanut butter to put into a Kong toy, thinking that's going to be great! All in the name of healthy eating doggy style.

Hmmm,.... Well got M and P all excited, new treats, just wait till you see what Mum's got for you, these are lovely, all the dogs on CC just love these, etc etc..... Yum, yum, as I'm breaking off a piece of rice cake, they sitting down, high fives, being good dogs, more high fives ..... Handed them a piece each .... Well you should have seen the looks I got! Missy P took hers, then spat it out and you know that quite disgusted look only dogs can give you! Then Big boy, he is such a gentle taker, never grabs anything, took the piece and to his credit did take a couple of chews, and then spat the bits out!

OK, let's try the Kong and peanut butter. Maybe first better let them lick a bit of Peanut butter to try .... I got the sniff and "phufffff" refusal from MissP with an instant walk off ... I got the roll of the whites of the eyes from the boy!

So failed, failed .... But I did stuff the Kongs with some low fat treats broken up and they has such fun trying to work out how to get the bits out! So I suppose they've used up as much calories working out with the Kongs as is in the treats themselves!

Have a great Sunday everyone .... :). We are off out for lunch in an hour - lovely fish restaurant on the coast.

I think I know exactly the one's you tried......they taste like cardboard. Try the rice cakes by Quaker, lightly salted. They're healthy and still have some taste. I hope they like these better. Brenda loved them and Horton thinks they're the best thing on earth [of course, I did start them on them with a smear of salmon oil on them.] Maybe it's an acquired taste. Oh! Well! Try the Quaker ones and if they still refuse them, you can eat them!

Horton still begs for them at the end of the day........boy, do I have him fooled, or what?

Trudy,

I'm writing this to you with huge tears in my eyes. The drawing of Brenda is phenomenal. You captured her eyes and her little face so vividly......I can't believe it! It's sitting on a shelf, where I can look at it and cry, smile, cry and then smile! I absolutely love it so much. Thank you!!!!

The yellow tie-on's for my luggage are such a great idea and the note cards are wonderful. You're such a sweetheart and have helped to improve my mindset so much!

I'm sharing the painting of Brenda with everyone in my office and you should see their faces.......they knew exactly who it was!

Thank you so, so much for my Brenny's image!

Roz,

So glad you like the painting----I tried hard to capture Brenny for you. And for you to see her, makes it really heart warming for me.

I am sitting here crying too because of your nice reply. Have a great cruise.

I love the luggage tie on's too. I don't use locks on my bags but take one of the strings from the tie on,they can just pull out, and tie the two parts of the zipper together. If the boat wants to inspect, they can do it easily. If it is still tied when It gets to the room, all it takes is a pen to twist it open. You do need to leave a little space when you tie them to the zipper-----just enough to slip the pen in the loop and twist, it breaks right off. hope you understand what I am saying. :eek:

First I thought, ah poor John, imagine caling your darling husband a "bum" or did she mean Wexler? ....... And then I got it! ...... You mean you're stuck with the same old ass you've always had!!! ;):D.

(Oops, lost in translation again!!! LOL!)

Seriously .... well done Wexler and John!

Oh, is that what she meant???? Hee Hee I thought she was referring to her bottom! :p:D :D;)

Too funny!!!!!

Trudy,

I'm writing this to you with huge tears in my eyes. The drawing of Brenda is phenomenal. You captured her eyes and her little face so vividly......I can't believe it! It's sitting on a shelf, where I can look at it and cry, smile, cry and then smile! I absolutely love it so much. Thank you!!!!

The yellow tie-on's for my luggage are such a great idea and the note cards are wonderful. You're such a sweetheart and have helped to improve my mindset so much!

I'm sharing the painting of Brenda with everyone in my office and you should see their faces.......they knew exactly who it was!

Thank you so, so much for my Brenny's image!

I saw a pic of the painting. It was great! Trudy is so talented. I have the one she did of Wex where I see it everyday.

Roz,

So glad you like the painting----I tried hard to capture Brenny for you. And for you to see her, makes it really heart warming for me.

I love the luggage tie on's too. I don't use locks on my bags but take one of the strings from the tie on,they can just pull out, and tie the two parts of the zipper together. If the boat wants to inspect, they can do it easily. If it is still tied when It gets to the room, all it takes is a pen to twist it open. You do need to leave a little space when you tie them to the zipper-----just enough to slip the pen in the loop and twist, it breaks right off. hope you understand what I am saying. :eek:

I do understand, thanks for the lesson. I'm going to try it very soon. It's hard to believe that my cruise is just around the corner. I know you're cruising very soon too......I wish we were doing it together. You'd get such a kick out of Horty.

Trudy, I know I've said this before but if you would see my eyes light-up when I see your painting of my Brenny, you would know how much joy you brought to me. I just love it.

Roz,

I do understand, thanks for the lesson. I'm going to try it very soon. It's hard to believe that my cruise is just around the corner. I know you're cruising very soon too......I wish we were doing it together. You'd get such a kick out of Horty and, it would give me the chance to hug you, in person.

Trudy, I know I've said this before but if you would see my eyes light-up when I see your painting of my Brenny, you would know how much joy you brought to me. I just love it.

I saw a pic of the painting. It was great! Trudy is so talented. I have the one she did of Wex where I see it everyday.

Cindy, can you believe it? I'm not exaggerating, she captured Brenny's expression so well. Unbelievable , to think that she never met her, it's remarkable. She really is gifted!

Hey it's my birthday this week, why is Roz getting all the presents? :(:(

Cindy, OMG! Happy Birthday! I wish you a year filled with much joy, happiness and most of all GOOD HEALTH!

Love You,

Roz

Edited by wizard-of-roz

[

Trudy, I know I've said this before but if you would see my eyes light-up when I see your painting of my Brenny, you would know how much joy you brought to me. I just love it.[/b][/color]

I wish I could have enclosed a camera in the package. I would have loved to see your face.

Happy Birthday Cindy----I am sending Hugs to you. Sorry, I don't have a package.:(