RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

Exactly, credit cards will never honor the charges unless the ship could prove it was a valid charge namely a person being caught by an employee while smoking in a cabin. I would have preferred that RCCL did not do this as it will cause other issues but it does seem to be a fair compromise for both sides. If too many cancel like we've read here, they will allow smoking again in the cabins. Non smokers may choose to go over to the RCCL Azamara non smoking ships where its not allowed in the cabin or balcony but on limited areas onboard. No one can say RCCL does not offer a completely non smoking option with Azamara.

I agree a few phone calls and a little time will probably have the charges removed.With the new ships being over 60% balconies I don't think there will be a huge run on balconies.Even if RCL went smoking non smoking sides if 30% of cruisers are smokers,which I doubt since the ships don't seem to be smoked filled,it would work,but of course some would complain on both sides.RCL does offer Pullmatour cruises which from what I understand is more smoker friendly as is rival Costa

We applaud these changes and believe that it is a step in the right direction. I wonder if they are going to stop selling the cases of cigarettes in their shops. I seriously doubt it.

hypo

I run a resort hotel and it is nearly impossible to PROVE someone was smoking unless caught in the act. Charges can be assessed all they want but no credit card company will make them stick if protested by the cardholder unless the merchant can prove the charge is valid. I KNOW this to be true. Without the cig butt and ashes IN THE ROOM...you got NOTHING!!:)

Now this is funny! :D

My wife and I are both smokers. Accept it! We go out of our way to comply with the smoking rules and regulations and try to be as polite as possible to the non-smokers.

I would guess that we have done 80% to 90% of our smoking on our balcony so the new "balcony only" rule will be easy for us to comply with.

But now the question come up that has not yet been answered!

What do we do with our cigarette butts?

- Flush them down the toilet? NO! - That is against the rules.

- Launch them over the rail into the Ocean? NO! - That is against the rules.

On our past cruises we have told our Cabin Stewart that we are smokers and asked him to provide plastic liners for the trash can in the cabin. We have always, after making sure they are no longer burning, dumped out butts in the plastic lined trash can in the cabin. We have never had a problem with this.

Now the quote above indicates that butts in the room are proof that we have been smoking in the room.

Before I go any farther with this, allow me to point out to the non-smokers that when the ship is moving, the wind always automatically removes the ashes from the ashtrays on the balcony and sometimes even blows the butts out of the ash trays on the balcony. The glass ash trays that RCI provides on request are the cheapest available and neither safe nor effective in containing the butts so we always bring out own ashtrays that do a better job of containing the butts but still allows the wind to swirl the ashes out.

So what are we supposed to do with the butts?

- Toss them around the divider onto our neighbor's balcony? NO! - Not very polite!

- Drop them on the floor of the balcony? NO! - Too Messy

- Bring some masking tape and tape them, one at a time, to the balcony divider? Workable! - Still messy though!

- Ask RCI for an extra trash can for the balcony? NO! - Even the pretty metal cans they use could get blown around in the wind, tip over, empty the butts everywhere, and roll back and forth going Clang, Clang, Clang all night long as they rolled around on the balcony.

I believe that the "Law of Unintended consequences" now applies! :D

Trainman-2

Good point....I stand corrected. The only to make the charges stick is to catch someone in the ACT of smoking...with a witness to back up the story.....

...although I kind of like the masking tape to the balcony divider idea....very inventive......:) :D

Now this is funny! :D

My wife and I are both smokers. Accept it! We go out of our way to comply with the smoking rules and regulations and try to be as polite as possible to the non-smokers.

I would guess that we have done 80% to 90% of our smoking on our balcony so the new "balcony only" rule will be easy for us to comply with.

But now the question come up that has not yet been answered!

What do we do with our cigarette butts?

- Flush them down the toilet? NO! - That is against the rules.

- Launch them over the rail into the Ocean? NO! - That is against the rules.

On our past cruises we have told our Cabin Stewart that we are smokers and asked him to provide plastic liners for the trash can in the cabin. We have always, after making sure they are no longer burning, dumped out butts in the plastic lined trash can in the cabin. We have never had a problem with this.

Now the quote above indicates that butts in the room are proof that we have been smoking in the room.

Before I go any farther with this, allow me to point out to the non-smokers that when the ship is moving, the wind always automatically removes the ashes from the ashtrays on the balcony and sometimes even blows the butts out of the ash trays on the balcony. The glass ash trays that RCI provides on request are the cheapest available and neither safe nor effective in containing the butts so we always bring out own ashtrays that do a better job of containing the butts but still allows the wind to swirl the ashes out.

So what are we supposed to do with the butts?

- Toss them around the divider onto our neighbor's balcony? NO! - Not very polite!

- Drop them on the floor of the balcony? NO! - Too Messy

- Bring some masking tape and tape them, one at a time, to the balcony divider? Workable! - Still messy though!

- Ask RCI for an extra trash can for the balcony? NO! - Even the pretty metal cans they use could get blown around in the wind, tip over, empty the butts everywhere, and roll back and forth going Clang, Clang, Clang all night long as they rolled around on the balcony.

I believe that the "Law of Unintended consequences" now applies! :D

Actually I too only smoke on the balcony and I am very paranoid of anything blowing off or blowing around. I have an old heavy duty plastic deep ashtray that is partially covered. I bring it in my suitcase and fill it with a little water. I tell the steward about it and ask him not to remove it, but if he could provide a small plastic bag for ME to dump the contents in. I won't subject anyone else to cleaning up behind me. They have always complied with the requests but most times will clean it anyways as part of their daily routine. There are solutions that are very workable.

Sent e-mail asking them about their smoking policy. I asked if I can only afford ocean view, will they be paying the difference for a balcony (I don't think so). Also, reminded them that smokers do not jump overboard. I suggest all smokers e-mail them before this board gets out of hand. Let you know if I get a reply.

Why?

The new smoking policy means smokers will no longer book inside or ocean view cabins because they can't smoke there anymore. They can smoke on balconies.

But....non-smokers will stop booking balconies. Non-smokers outnumber smokers 3 to 1.

So non-smokers will now book inside cabins cheap and prepare for the free upgrade to a balcony they can't use.:confused:

What a dumb new policy. It has often been said that smokers subsidize the cruise of non-smokers because they spend more onboard by drinking and gambling more. Now they'll spend more for their cabins while the rest of us are relegated to the worst cabins on the ship. This is a lose-lose situation - how DUMB of RCCL.

Why?

The new smoking policy means smokers will no longer book inside or ocean view cabins because they can't smoke there anymore. They can smoke on balconies.

But....non-smokers will stop booking balconies. Non-smokers outnumber smokers 3 to 1.

So non-smokers will now book inside cabins cheap and prepare for the free upgrade to a balcony they can't use.:confused:

What a dumb new policy. It has often been said that smokers subsidize the cruise of non-smokers because they spend more onboard by drinking and gambling more. Now they'll spend more for their cabins while the rest of us are relegated to the worst cabins on the ship. This is a lose-lose situation - how DUMB of RCCL.

If what you are saying was true RCCL wouldn't have done this....I'd like to think that it's for health reasons that they have made this change, but I'm certain it works for the bottom line as well.

As a non smoker, I would not cruise before I would book an inside room, so your theory doesn't work with me.

Why?

this is totally illogical and unlikely.

we are smokers who will continue to book interiors and OVs, regardless of any changes that come to the smoking policy.

crownandanchor@rccl.com <crownandanchor@rccl.com>

I did ask that if they could not provide assistance, to please forward my email on to the correct department.

BUT, I called personally when I cancelled! I hated to do it because RCCL is my favorite cruise line but why would I want to spend my money with them after this decision and the situation is only going to be worse now from non-smokers complaining about the smoke on the balcony. So I will cruise with Princess and Carnival where I can smoke on my balcony or in my stateroom (if I so choose)...

For the record, I am considerate, never smoke around children, or even if my neighbors are ON their balcony, and only in designated spaces such as allowed BUT this decision from RCCL has gone to far, in my opinion. Had they chose to try to make all clientele satisfied by providing smoking and non smoking cabins, I would have been fine with the decision. However, they chose to alienate their smoking clientele to appease the non-smokers (which I agree are in the majority) BUT, they still will not be happy......Can you imagine the uproar and complaints RCCL is going to get over how much smoke is on the balcony? Should be interesting to observe how this is enforced but I wasn't going to keep a booking for over a year from now and wait to find out........

Sharon

I don't see why this would stop anyone from booking a balcony. Just means less smokers on the cruise with non-smokers taking up the balcony rooms.

Maybe it will work out that way. So what you are saying is once the balconies sell out, the smokers won't book. But what if they book early because of the new policy. As a non-somker I wouldn't take the risk ok paying more for a balcony when the odds are I won't be able to use it.

Maybe it will work out that way. So what you are saying is once the balconies sell out, the smokers won't book. But what if they book early because of the new policy. As a non-somker I wouldn't take the risk ok paying more for a balcony when the odds are I won't be able to use it.

I honestly don't think you are going to find any real difference with the new policy. I don't smoke in the cabin anyway only out on the balcony and most of the others smokers on these boards have also expressed the same, though a few say they do smoke in their cabins. It is not like all of sudden now there is going to be this big cloud of smoke from the balconies. And if smokers couldn't afford a balcony before they aren't going to book one now.

Sent e-mail asking them about their smoking policy. I asked if I can only afford ocean view, will they be paying the difference for a balcony (I don't think so). Also, reminded them that smokers do not jump overboard. I suggest all smokers e-mail them before this board gets out of hand. Let you know if I get a reply.

What a thoughtful e-mail. I'll bet Richard Fain replies before the sun sets over Miami...

:cool:

LL

Everytime someone on a balcony gets a whif of a cigarette from 5 decks below, they scream cancer. Puhlease. Enough already.

I believe that most smokers do try to be as courteous as they can, but I also believe the real difference is, is that when a smoker smokes on the balcony they enjoys the smell, the feeling they get when they smoke etc....but to the non-smoker on the balcony next to them its a competely different story.

Do you suppose they will have "smoke police" walking the hallways and banging down the doors of "suspect" violators??? AH, but if they don't no doubt some over zealous passenger will be reporting every whiff of smoke they smell........

I run a resort hotel and it is nearly impossible to PROVE someone was smoking unless caught in the act. Charges can be assessed all they want but no credit card company will make them stick if protested by the cardholder unless the merchant can prove the charge is valid. I KNOW this to be true. Without the cig butt and ashes IN THE ROOM...you got NOTHING!!

I am a non smoker, I don't care if people smoke on balconies, its never bothered me and all the hollering here about it is absurd. I've spent hours on my balcony and never smelled anything....well, not true.... sitting in some ports the balcony air can smell pretty bad and has NOTHING to do with anyone smoking......more to do with the "local" pollution going on....

The no smoking policy is a good one and it will cut down on the problem immensely, leave it at that...there will ALWAYS be violators, but at least RCCL is trying to ease the problem. Quit complaining and try appreciating their efforts rather than find fault with it.

Just my humble opinion!!!:)

Gracie,

I would cruise next to you ANY DAY and guess what....Because you are so courteous, I wouldn't even smoke on my balcony when you were outside. If ALL non-smokers were like you, I think more smokers would go out of their way to not intrude on your space at any time. Just wanted to tell you that I appreciate your opinion and your willingness to co-exist so everyone can enjoy their vacations.

Sharon

Gracie,

I would cruise next to you ANY DAY and guess what....Because you are so courteous, I wouldn't even smoke on my balcony when you were outside. If ALL non-smokers were like you, I think more smokers would go out of their way to not intrude on your space at any time. Just wanted to tell you that I appreciate your opinion and your willingness to co-exist so everyone can enjoy their vacations.

Sharon

That goes for me as well. Kudos to you, Gracie!!:)

In a society where most states have banned smoking in all indoor areas some beaches, some hotels and some outdoor areas, it will be IMO a very small percentage that will upgrade to a balcony to smoke(depending on the cost). It certainly din't effect the airlines business. Over the years I believe smokers have adapated to all of the changes in our laws, have obeyed them and make-due as best they can.

OK --- to all you smokers out there, let me say that I hope you continue to smoke on your balcony. You've never bothered me, but then I don't lay in wait looking for a reason to be annoyed.

If I stop cruising RCCL it won't be because of a smoking/nonsmoking policy it will be because there are far too many people cruising RCCL who are petty, mean-spirited and downright ugly as this thread has shown.

RCCL has done a good thing. Smokers smoking outside is also a good thing. If I get a whiff it is NOT going to kill me, I'm going to move a foot or two in a different direction and it will pass. or....the cigarette will be out in 5 minutes and the breeze which ALWAYS exists on the balcony will take care of any residual smoke.

Stop complaining......

Now I want to know where that camera in the stateroom is....sounds like fun to me..........:D

I think it will have minimal effect on balcony purchases............at least for those that normally book an inside or OV cabin........just a $400 pp difference would be $800.........as long as you can smoke outside on the open deck, I'm not sure those that aren't already booking balcony cabins will do so now.........however........if they eliminate outdoor smoking on one side of the deck then who knows.......but of course if they do that......the cruiseline will basically be going totally non smoking.

Why?

I disagree with your assumptions... and as a (small) RCL shareholder, I have e-mailed the company congratulating them on their new policy...

LL

Disney has this policy already in effect, smoking on balconies and designated areas. I think just 2 weeks ago there was a long thread when some non smokers wanted Disney to change their policy to totally non smoking. Isnt going to happen.

I could care less if the folks next to me smoke.....just dont bogart. Just kidding. But Iv dated smokers and it really would not affect my choice.

Non smokers still book balconies on Disney, it has not made much difference Id warrant.

My guess is if someone doesnt want to pay for a balcony, they will book near a door, there are lots of locations where a smoker can get outside not to far from their cabin.

Archived