Carnival Dancers Scanty Costumes

mzloolue

I love going to the shows and they are a highlight of our cruising. However I would prefer the dancers dress with some dignity. Imagine if you were the parent of one of them....how would you feel then?

But great point on the fact that Carnival exposes the girls' fannies, but not the guys'...

When it comes to "raciness" they are hardly Vegas level. Usually just a lot of young dancers starting out, hoping to be "discovered" for Vegas or Broadway shows.

I have an incredibly gorgeous young friend who attended California Institute for the Arts here in So Cal (I know her because she worked at the local Starbucks :D). Her major was dancing and upon graduation was hired by Celebrity for their Cirque De Soleil Show. She knew I cruised a lot so she asked me a million questions about cruising and being a crew member on a ship. I couldn't help her much with the crew thing, but said she would be admired by many many passengers for sure and it would, at least, be a great start. :)

(GAWD, she was a beautiful sweet thing, I hate to even imagine what the world will probably do to her)

I Love The Shows And If Carnival Wants To Keep Us Coming Back, As We Have For 20 Years, Then They Need To Leave Well Enough Alone. And Those Complainers Can Go See The Jugglers Or A Movie. The Shows Are Tasteful And Fun And Just Wonderful.

Or I Think I See A Full Moon!

I generally avoid the shows...

However, I did go to one for a bit last week and we have been discussing the dancer's costumes.

No one in my family, except maybe my son, enjoys seeing quite that much of the dancers nether cheeks.

What do you think...

Hubba hubba!!

or

Oh please, cover your butt already!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the dancers costumes. Frankly, Las Vegas show girls expose even more "skin".

Join the 21st century. or perhaps you'd be more comfortable watching all of them dance while wearing burkas.

BnB

I love going to the shows and they are a highlight of our cruising. However I would prefer the dancers dress with some dignity. Imagine if you were the parent of one of them....how would you feel then?

But great point on the fact that Carnival exposes the girls' fannies, but not the guys'...

I would feel very proud.

I would prefer a little more covering. More along the lines of what they wear on Princess or Royal Caribbean. I also would prefer that Camp Carnival would not bring the children in to see the shows. A few years ago I was caught unaware when I looked across the theater and saw my 6 year old. (Yes, they did have it listed on the Camp Carnival Caper thing that the kids would be going to the show, but I did not see it.) It is not something I would have dreamed they would do. The first words out of my daughters mouth when I picked her up were "I saw those ladies butts!!"

I am sure I will get slammed for this, so I will go ahead and add, that I don't think it is necessary to have suggestive type pictures on the wall by the dining rooms, where as families you all gather waiting to go to dinner. Yes, I know that it is "art", and I know that if they went to a musuem they would see those types of pictures, but I also have made the choice to wait until they are older to expose them to that kind of art. On the cruise, I did not have that choice, there was no way to avoid it if I wanted to eat in our assigned dining room, and of course by the time "I" noticed the picture they had already been staring at it for a while, so "the horse was already out of the barn" so to speak.

I guess my feeling is that people can still be entertained without naked/nearly naked women/men and vulgar language etc..

I also understand that there are people who do enjoy those things, and that is fine, they definitely have that right. I know that Carnival sells lots of cruises and that must be working for them. I am just stating "my" opinion and "my" preference only.

I think we will need additional pictures of showgirls from both Carnival and from Vegas to decide. It wouldn't be proper to comment without an adequate sample size. :rolleyes:

DH got all excited when I told him there was a thread here with showgirl pics but he was disappointed and said they were all taken from the wrong side of the girls :p

However, I did go to one for a bit last week and we have been discussing the dancer's costumes.

No one in my family, except maybe my son, enjoys seeing quite that much of the dancers nether cheeks.

What do you think...

Hubba hubba!!

or

This is a joke, right?

I would prefer a little more covering. More along the lines of what they wear on Princess or Royal Caribbean. I also would prefer that Camp Carnival would not bring the children in to see the shows. A few years ago I was caught unaware when I looked across the theater and saw my 6 year old. (Yes, they did have it listed on the Camp Carnival Caper thing that the kids would be going to the show, but I did not see it.) It is not something I would have dreamed they would do. The first words out of my daughters mouth when I picked her up were "I saw those ladies butts!!"

I am sure I will get slammed for this, so I will go ahead and add, that I don't think it is necessary to have suggestive type pictures on the wall by the dining rooms, where as families you all gather waiting to go to dinner. Yes, I know that it is "art", and I know that if they went to a musuem they would see those types of pictures, but I also have made the choice to wait until they are older to expose them to that kind of art. On the cruise, I did not have that choice, there was no way to avoid it if I wanted to eat in our assigned dining room, and of course by the time "I" noticed the picture they had already been staring at it for a while, so "the horse was already out of the barn" so to speak.

I guess my feeling is that people can still be entertained without naked/nearly naked women/men and vulgar language etc..

I also understand that there are people who do enjoy those things, and that is fine, they definitely have that right. I know that Carnival sells lots of cruises and that must be working for them. I am just stating "my" opinion and "my" preference only.

My kids were laughing about the "naked butts" too. They came with us. I don't think they are worse off for having seen it. They're 7 and 9 and didn't think of it as sexual or wrong - just funny.

Nobody should slam you for your beliefs and I think you understand that you may be in the minority. I found the paintings/murals to be pretty benign and non-sexual and barely gave them a thought. Then again, I find the hairy chest contest to be pretty gross and having a tough time explaining to my kids why a couple young women were falling down in the elevators after obviously getting overly drunk at the pool bar in Costa Maya.

The male dancers did the dance from "The Full Monty" on the Liberty in July :D

Awww, you beat me to it!!!! Yes, the guys performed the song Keep Your Hat On - and at the end they had their hat in a strategic location and then pulled their thongs off just as the house lights went dark!!!! Our 11 year-old daughter was with us and we giggled with her like little girls.

I thought the female costumes were awesome! I wish I had "nether cheeks" like theirs! :D

WOW, if you have really enjoyed true vegas shows...these girls are well dressed.

Sorry, I don't think that they are dressed in poor taste. I think it is appropriate for that type show.

But, that is just MHO. If you feel it is over the top, then I would suggest a DISNEY cruise or stay out of the shows so you won't be offended.

Hope you enjoy your cruises anyway.

Ahem. Last time I looked Donald Duck wasn't wearing any pants. :p

I'd say stay away from the shows.....

BTW, I am tired of everything having to be so "politically correct" ... and I am a conservative .....relax already.

What do you think...

Hubba hubba!!

or

If I had to guess, it would be a rendition of "All That Jazz", Chicago

We were on the Inspiration last week and the CD warned the audience ahead of time that the dancers would be wearing thongs and if anyone was going to be offended, they had a chance to leave before the show started.

If the dancers don't have a problem with it I don't. That said, in the shows I saw on the Paradise, the Dancers seemed tentative when dressed in the G-strings, but seemed to go all out on dancing when they were dressed in outfits that covered more. It might have been the shoes and the headresses, but they really danced when they were in shorts and jazz shoes, or long skirts and cowboy boots. I think they were more comfortable dancing in outfits they didn't have to worry about. And I find them more entertaining when they are dancing, versus posing.

(But it is quite possible these were dancers at the beginning of their tour, and would be more comfortable with the whole show in a few more months.)

Yea cathy, I had the same thought. My teenage DD is a dancer, and I can't imagine dancing comfortably in that costume. :confused: I'd like to see the number though. I've never been disappointed by a dance show on a cruiseship.

Not flaming, but would advise you, if you ever cruise the PRIDE, don't take your kids to dinner in the specialty dining room called DAVIDS . . . Michelangelo is well represented there. :D

We got to know some of the dancers on the last Carnival cruise we did - because we are British and so are many of the dancers. We brought UK papers with us and gave them to the dancers which was greatly appreciated. They said they liked working for Carnival because of the effort put into the shows and having seen a couple of Princess shows I can see what they mean...... Our son who was 10 at the time loved the Carnival shows - it isn't overtly sexual and I prefer him to grow up with an open mind.................................................................................

Archived