Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

No, not really. When sitting at a table of 8, I actually prefer "mixing it up" a bit throughout the week, and having the ability to chat with different tablemates without having to shout across the table. Mixing up the seating allows us to get to know the people directly next to us a bit better, I think.

But, I don't think you are alone in your feelings!

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

I had never thought about it before but I guess I'm just like you! I hate being moved when I "know" where I'm going to be sitting! But then we've always been the first ones to our table and haven't had anybody in our chairs when we got there.

I am a creature of habit so if possible, I would probably sit in the same chair each night.

Last year on the Conquest, there were 4 of us and 4 others at the table. My biggest problem with that is they always seem to beat us there and tended to sit next to one another which means we had to do the same. I would have really preferred to sit across from our friends so we could converse a little easier.

We have 10 in our group this year so it shouldn't be a problem. I assume we will be at the same table and only us :)

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

Glad to know that I am not the only one that feels this way! :D

I ALWAYS sit in the same chair night after night, on one of my last cruises got to dinner and one of my table mates was in "My" seat, I didn't say anything, but made sure on subsequent nights, I made it to the Dining Room first to assure that I got "My" seat.

Now, I konw I am not the only one with this quirk!!:p

If you're dining at the early seating and the same people always sit by the windows it can be kind of disappointing ... esp for kids ... but I wouldn't fight over a chair ... if someone felt really strongly about it, they could keep whatever chair makes them happy for the whole cruise.:D

DH and I like to sit across from each other at the open end of the table (not by the wall) as there is more room. Sometimes it seems crowded sitting in the middle of an 8-person table. Plus, when sitting at the end you can direct your conversation to everyone at the table, not just to the person next to you.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

Well sure, but I would think that after the first night everyone knows where they should sit. Guess it has never been a problem with me. If we are lucky enough to have a table by the window, I love sitting there and since I got there first I would hope that I would have that seat through the entire cruise.

We are ALL creatures of habit and yes there have been many sociological experiments about 'choosing' and keeping one's seat.

As a sociology graduate one of my favorite things to watch was people in a group meeting/boardroom setting - you will find people even in this type of situation will pick the same seats at their monthly meetings. I would always love to wreak a bit of havoc and choose a different seat! Well - you would think I was the biggest troublemaker. (you're sitting in my seat - no I'm not??)

Changes the whole dynamic of the meeting - try it next time (and if you really want to be listened to - make sure you are at the head of the table - whether you are the 'head' or not - you will definitely carry more clout!)

Have fun!

Froufie

I guess we shake things up and pick different seats every night but never thought about other passengers being attached to their chairs. We just thought it's a better way to meet your other table mates. Maybe this is why we see the same people in the same deck chairs every day by the pool. :D

Am I alone?

Only when were are at a table by the window, and I have the window seat do I mind. Otherwise, it is not big deal.

I just don't like the "freestyle" dining where you have a different table, waiter, people every night.

We like to mix it up but on our last cruise we found that others at our table of 8 didn't. On the second night, we were first at the table so we decided to pick different seats from the night before. You know, thinking different conversations, etc. etc. Well evidently a couple of them didn't like that and the next night when we arrived, they were there seated in the seats that they had on the 1st night. They were great tablemates, very nice people but we found that they must have been "creatures of habit". ;)

On our last cruise we had a round table of 10. On one of the nights my wife and I were there first at the table. We sat across from each other. Then when the other couples came to the table we asked that they do not sit with their spouse. It ended up having the 5 guys together and the 5 gals together. We ended up having a blast. ALot of the people came out of there shells since their spouse was not right next them. It also confused the waiter a bit, but he also had a blast. By the end of dinner we all were a little tipsy(everyone was buying each other drinks and wine.)

I'd never thought about that, but it might annoy me I selected on the first night, expected to keep for the duration, then found someone else in it on a subsequent night. Not that it would be WRONG of them to do so, but it might annoy me anyway. Thanks for giving me another reason to keep going for the two-tops...

:)

We always sit in the same seats in the DR. We've only been on two cruises and have either sat with friends or family. On our first cruise we sat at an 8 person with our friends and we always sat in the same chairs, us on one side and them on the other. One night our family missed dinner in the DR and they moved around so they would have more room and our wonderful waiter got the names mixed up. I just figured he remembered them by where we sat and on our last cruise we all sat in the same chairs to make it easier on the wait staff. Of course, we do this at home too. We all have our favorite spots to eat or watch TV.

We have sat in the same place each night - and on another cruise we moved around. People did look a little thrown when they saw we moved to different seats! I think it is hysterical that people think they "own" that chair for the week! If there are better views from certain seats, I think you should move around so everyone gets the "good seats" at least once! I don't like sitting next to the same person every night anyway!

Archived