Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

As a lefty living in a righty world my seat choice is very important to me. There are only a couple of spots that I try to grab at a long table, otherwise I am downright uncomfortable during dinner. We usually do a sprint the first night to "claim" our seats and hope we get to keep them each night.

another Lefty here and I'm the same way! At a round table it's okay but at a long table or booth where you're packed in it can be miserable. :eek: I usually just speak up say "hey, I'm a lefty and this isn't gonna work."

We have unique problem that right handed people never event think about--but bumping elbows at a meal especially with a stranger is NOT fun.

last time we were at a table on the first floor, kind of all by itself, to one side of the maitre d's station. It wasn't the greatest of locations, couldn't see what was going on a lot of the time, and the one seat on the edge of the table had it's back right on one of the "high traffic" areas for the servers. The path was between the seat and the glass wall/front of the dining room. So, it was kind of a PITA for the person sitting here, with food servers squeezing through holding trays full of food and drinks over their heads. We rotated sitting in that seat. And my *ahem, blading* DH had an issue with sitting directly under the canned lights...the ceiling was kind of low to begin with, and at 6'1", he found his head TOO close for comfort to the 'warming lights', so he didn't sit there, LOL.

Anyway, just popping in to say that there were many factors for us in seating at dinner, LOL. :D

another Lefty here and I'm the same way! At a round table it's okay but at a long table or booth where you're packed in it can be miserable. :eek: I usually just speak up say "hey, I'm a lefty and this isn't gonna work."

We have unique problem that right handed people never event think about--but bumping elbows at a meal especially with a stranger is NOT fun.

DH is a lefty and I deal with this all the time, even though I'm right handed! I try to make sure I'm not bumping elbows with him all the time!

I was on the Legend last week and didn't even give it a thought before reading this thread. We were a group of ten (5 kids-5 adults). We had a booth and a table for 6. Kids took the booth and put an extra chair on end (they were in a corner so out of way). All 10 of us sat in the same seats every night :D . So I guess all 10 of us are terrtorial!!:D :D

last time we were at a table on the first floor, kind of all by itself, to one side of the maitre d's station. It wasn't the greatest of locations, couldn't see what was going on a lot of the time, and the one seat on the edge of the table had it's back right on one of the "high traffic" areas for the servers. The path was between the seat and the glass wall/front of the dining room. So, it was kind of a PITA for the person sitting here, with food servers squeezing through holding trays full of food and drinks over their heads. We rotated sitting in that seat. And my *ahem, blading* DH had an issue with sitting directly under the canned lights...the ceiling was kind of low to begin with, and at 6'1", he found his head TOO close for comfort to the 'warming lights', so he didn't sit there, LOL.

Anyway, just popping in to say that there were many factors for us in seating at dinner, LOL. :D

I had a seat like you described on one cruise and one night our waiter was run into by another waiter and the plate he was holding ended up all over me. Unfortunately it was spaghetti. I felt bad for our waiter because it wasn't his fault. The other waiter started yelling and I couldn't believe it. They sent my clothes to the on ship cleaners and they couldn't get the spaghetti sauce stain out. Eventually I got paid for the ruined clothing.

I have been on 5 cruises so far and my 6th one will be in November. I have been on CC for many years. I think this is one of the most interesting questions I have ever heard. This has never been a problem nor one that I have ever heard before. On all my cruises I have always sat in the same chair each night. I guess I have thought this is my chair not to be confused with a chair hog on the pool. There is a difference. Now that I am aware of this I am going to see how this is done on my HAL cruise. I will be open minded about this. Thanks to the OP for this discussion.

Robb

I am well aware of "lefties." My sister is one! Growing up around the dining room table, she always had the end of one side of our table. I sat at the opposite end - other side. Mother and father on the ends and brother somewhere in the middle. For years, this is where we sat for all formal occasions...that is until...my SIL came along. She is also left handed and guess where she sits now? :rolleyes: That's right...in my chair and I have to sit in the middle. I love her anyway! :D

Well sure, but I would think that after the first night everyone knows where they should sit. Guess it has never been a problem with me. If we are lucky enough to have a table by the window, I love sitting there and since I got there first I would hope that I would have that seat through the entire cruise.

Having a window seat is nice, but why wouldn't you share it with your tablemates?

They, too, are on vacation.

When we have had window tables with other people we always shared. It would make me uncomfortable not to offer to them to switch back and forth.

It would make me really annoyed if someone actually felt that only they should sit by the window. I probably would have to give the "sharing" speech I used to give my children when they were 2 and 3 yrs old. :p

I try to sit in a different chair every night. If somebody is hogging a window seat, I WILL beat them to that seat at least two times and offer it to someone else that has not had a chance to sit by the window. Insisting on the same chair is psychosilliness. [New malady]

Dan

My husband and I are too busy enjoying our before dinner cocktail to get in line to be the first to our table to claim our chairs. We have been on many cruises and have experienced both situations. We prefer to sit at a large table and switch seats throughout the cruise so we can get to know everyone at the table. If we are seated with chair claimers that have to sit in "their" chair every night, that's okay too.

Variety is the spice of life! Creatures of habit try something different on your next cruise...you may just enjoy it!

Guess we must be "chairhogs" as we DO like to set in the same chairs. On the Celebrity Zenith, the first night the headwaiter that took care of our group of 10 made sure we had the same chairs. We had a ball with him and the whole table.:D

I go with the flow. I like to mix it up, but if I was sitting with someone who enjoyed having the same seat every night, I wouldn't mind doing the same. Makes no difference to me. :D

For the record, at home, everyone has 'their own' seat at the table, and I enjoy MY side of the bed (which my DH claims is 'the middle' :D

It's nice to know this is a big deal for some people as I would never want to unintentionally offend someone.

We never sit in the same seats or the same table. We travel with a large group usually and will sit with different couples/families as not everyone is present each night. Some people feel awkward if they are the only two seated at a big table, so we will join them and usually others will drop by as well. The waiters can get a little testy but we tell them from the get go what is going on and since everyone tips them and the matri-d well they don't really mind. NCL is more conducive to table hopping.

One night on the Triumph I changed tables after a group of 6 college coed's asked me to sit with them on formal night due to these guy friends being to drunk to move that evening. Well best move I ever made, those guys never returned to that table because me and the ladies moved to a new table to our-self's. As far as keeping the same chair for the entire trip I really don't care where I sit as long as the food is hot and good.

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

Nope, you're not alone. :D I feel exactly the same way!!

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

I never knew that you can play musical chairs at dinner, one night we showed up and they were sitting in my chair and since then if its a large table of 8+ we like to switch chairs and mix it up alittle.

Fred

Archived