Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

I prefer the same seat too. Course I think I'm the odd ball in that I don't want to see out the window if it's still daylight. I discovered on a cruise that if I sit and see the waves (or on one ship it was a deck rail) moving it makes me a bit sea sick....not fun when you are at a meal. :o

I'm very willing to move however if I get seated next to someone who bathed in their perfume or aftershave. :eek:

I read on here where some mixed up the table and you didn't sit with your spouse....not sure how I feel about that. On one hand it would be really fun to meet new people, but on the other DH & I don't get dinner w/o the kiddo's often.....I guess I'll cross that bridge if it ever happens.:D

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

I like sitting at a table for 6 to 8 people. Every night we rotate so you can see different views of the diningroom....

It really bugs some folks because....On the first night they get there really early to claim the best viewing seat. Second night I always beat them there and take those seats....it starts the table rotating every night.......:p ;)

Interesting question...as a teacher, I know what happens when kids take each others' seats, even when none have been assigned. And if just my husband and me, I don't like my back to the main part of the room. However, with a large group, whether friends or strangers, I think all should have the opportunity for a turn at the "best seats". If I had a window seat the first night, I probably wouldn't sit there the next night just so that someone else could have it. Last cruise, there was definitely one seat that was not comfortable (tight squeeze for wait staff), so we took turns in that seat.

Am I alone?

I'm the same way, but I am also the same way when on a bus! It's one thing to leave your stuff in your seat while you are off doing your excursion, but when I get back onboard, I automatically go to the same seat i was in before! I prefer to sit in the same spot, whether in the dining room or on a bus!:D Now, would I let it ruin my good time if someone else had my seat-absolutely NOT! I am just a creature of habit, I guess! ;)

I do that. Mine comes from working retail when I was younger. Even if I get it out of my wallet and it is not all facing the same direction, I fix it before I hand it to the cashier.

I do TOO!! I figure it saves THEM time not having to fix it before putting it in the drawer, therefore the people in line behind me will be happy TOO!!:D

This is funny. I thought I was alone. Last cruise DH asked why we had to get there before the doors opened. He said we could be a little late, we were always the first at the table. NO! Someone might get my chair! Glad to know that I am not the only one.

As a lefty living in a righty world my seat choice is very important to me. There are only a couple of spots that I try to grab at a long table, otherwise I am downright uncomfortable during dinner. We usually do a sprint the first night to "claim" our seats and hope we get to keep them each night.

I am a lefty too..... But I like mixing it up and meeting everyone at the table and getting shoulder to shoulder time with him or her. We can all adjust so we are not bumping elbows.

For all those that insist on taking the same seat at dinner, you give a new meaning to the chair hogs...TABLE HOGS. :D

I never thought about it like that before, but your right. Kinda like getting up at 6:00am to get a flip flop on a "choice" lounger. They keep the dining room doors closed after lunch is over to keep people from coming in and hanging a wrap or jacket over "their" chair. :)

It's funny because I never really thought about. Probably because on all 3 cruises, I and my niece or nephew always seemed to be the last one to arrive and we would just take the last two seats available. Oddly enough, they were always the same two seats.

I think I might like to try a new location, like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party. That might be fun. But I've never had a problem conversing with most everyone at the table anyway. It tends to be one conversation that everyone contributes to.

Laura

On our last cruise, our tablemates always arrived first, and chose different seats each night. It was different, we are used to stting the same place each evening. On the last night, we all sat down with different partners, just to get the waiters reaction.............

On the last night, we all sat down with different partners, just to get the waiters reaction.............

LOL~Yeah we did that too!!1 We cruise with some close friends and we had a boothe for the 4 of us. On the last night, we switched spouses....BOY, WAS OUR WAITER SUPRISED BUT IT SUR DID GET A GOOD LAUGH OUT OF HIM!!!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

The only time -- so far! -- I've done traditional dining was on Costa. We had a great table for 8 against the aft windows of the dining room. The members of our table were quite civilized about the prime seats next to the window, and we took turns each night without even discussing it!

I tend to like the same chair. But if I know all my table mates I don't mind changing around. I wouldn't have a problem with someone asking me to move around due to being a lefty or not wanting to sit by the window.

Once I sat a table for 10 and everyone was sitting with a partner but left 2 seats across from each other. Pissed me off. And I told them to all slide. I mean if everyone is gonna sit with thier spouse then so am I. I thought it was rude.

Another trip we had a meet and greet prior and met everyone at our round table for 10. But there was one lady no one wanted to sit by. We actually all took turns sitting by her. We worked out a schedule. And these were all people we just met.

I personaly would not like being asked to switch up seats. What if I don't like you. Don't think I'm antisocial by anymeans. We cruised 10 times, met people from Cruise critic everytime and have become real good freinds with some of them. But if I had to sit next to the lady and man mentioned above over and over again. I would have pulled my hair out.

Oh and to add , if there are prime seats I don't mind switching so everyone has a chance. I remeber on a large CC group cruise we had a table for 12. And we got the seats looking out towards the people. Well every nite after that others took those seats. Said they didn't like to look at a wall. Well we didn't either. But whatever.. they got there first. They were the strangest tablemates ever. Extremely braggy and would just start reciting lines from plays they were in , off the cuff, loudly. And she would ask to try food off my plate while she was stabbing it. Oh the memories!!

The theatre seat thing is just crazy. I did see 2 men almost come to blows over theatre seat saving. The one guy literally sat on the other and they stayed like that , the entire show. It was hilarous.

Nope Pete, you are not alone! I like to sit in the same chair too!:)

This Pete person sounds pretty snarky, if you ask me. :D

My STBEW was always late because of "getting ready" issues, so we always sat at the only two empty seats at the table.

On my solo cruise last October, I really didn't think about it, and just sat wherever there was an open seat next to someone.

I spent three years, though, working in Army banks and could get court martialed if the bills were facing the wrong way, so I did get into that habit and haven't broken it yet. I'm afraid the Army will track me down and throw me in the stockade.

Allen

I think the only kind thing to do if you want to "switch it up" is to discuss your feelings with your table-mates first. It may seem fun to surprise (and confuse) them, but consider...

I always try to explain on the first night that I can only hear on one side, and that I won't be able to join in the conversation if my "good ear" is on the side away from the group. Most people are understanding, but sometimes I feel that they don't believe me and that I'm ruining thier fun. I'm in my early 30's and I guess I don't fit the image they have of a person with bad hearing. I find it is most often a problem when the seat I can hear from is considered a good seat (ie near a window, or out of the traffic path). Please accept that some people need a particular seat and don't feel that they should have to have a note from the Dr. to get it.

some of you people have some serious OCD :eek:

I always like to have an aisle seat on the airplane. All these posts were beginning to make me think maybe I had some obsessive/compulsive issues until I realized it's because I have to go winky-tink every two minutes and don't want to have to wake someone up to climb over them when Nature calls. :eek:

Allen

Am I alone?

Not at all. On my last cruise I sat at a different chair each night. My whole table sat that way, as to get to know each other better. I was at a table of 6 solo travelers. Best group of folks that I have cruised with.:D

Archived