Rejected by travel agent!

I hope someone can help with some good info. We have booked our last 9 cruises with the same on-line TA. I called her week before last, ready to book our next cruise, 3 cabins, and was told by the person who answered that our TA retired from the company. The person on the phone said she was a TA and offered to assist. I told her what I was wanting and she stated she would call me back, but she never did. I'm really surprised because I don't think a sale gets any easier than that and she knew that I was a serious customer based on our booking history. I am lost as to how to find a good TA that will return calls. I so wish we were allowed to share what agencies we use on this site, because I really could use some help, but I know that is a no-no. Any advice? Thanks!

TexasAlexus -

If you get the Houston Chornicle, there is an ad on the back for an agent who is in San Antonio who does a good job...very customer service oriented. We have been given RCI discounts as he is one of the authorized agents to give out discounts, not huge but better than none.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice/ info. This will be our 12th cruise, so now when I call, I tell them exactly what I want. So, I really could just book directly with the cruise line. In the past, my agent was able to get the best rates, but like ya'll have said, now the prices for RCCL are the same however you book. It did occur to me that maybe she lost my number, but then I realized after so many cruises with the same agency, they probably know more info. about me than the IRS!

My first cruise I booked on a well-known on-line service. We had NO problems. However, I probably will not do that again. If there are price drops etc. I am not sure that they would honor that. I have saved a fair amount on price drops this time, not because my TA is looking out for me, but because of what I have read here on CC. I check my cruise rates fairly often and will continue to do so until we sail even though we have made our final payment so that we can get an OBC.

Almost every piece of good advice has come from CC. I even schooled my TA on why the original room that we booked wasn't good enough. (multiple posts about deck 7 on Serenade)

We also book our air separately because we use FF miles. So if something happens going through Chicago in December it will be on us to fix it. I have already done research on available flights. I am in girl scout mode.

So next time...I will research on CC and book directly with the cruise line.

Why use a ta? Some of them actuallly DO know as much as the folks on CC (and even more)... some of them offer assistance in selecting appropriate cruiselines, sailings, cabins, activities... some of them can provide valuable amenities and onboard credits as an incentive for booking with them... some of them can also assist with airfare and transfers... some of them have personal contacts at the cruiselines who can help resolve any issues that may arise before or after the cruise... some of them DON'T charge fees for handling these extras, or cancellation fees for that matter... Plenty of reasons to use a ta -- and to seek out an experienced one with references from friends...

Such a shame we can't share that info on the boards, but I understand it's because a lot of TA's masqueerade as honest CCers and then recommend.... themselves! (same for reason not allowing tour guides to post). That said, no one can police your offline communications.

Book directly with the cruise line :D

Well, we have been on more than 50 cruises and would probably never book directly with a cruise line. Why? Its simple. It almost always costs more money when you book direct. It pays to shop around for cruises among reputable TAs. The cruise lines (and this included RCI) sells cabins on their site for the normal price (of course this does vary when there are promotions). TAs often can give lower prices because they have a group rate (not matched by cruise lines on their own sites) and TAs will often toss-in other beneftis such as on-board credits, wine packages, free hotels, etc. As an example (without violating any guidelines) on one of our upcoming cruises (we have 3 under booking for the next few months) we were able to get a slightly lower price than on the cruise line site ($300) plus pre-paid gratuities (its a longer cruise so this is worth about $400), $300 on-board credit, and $200 spa credit. Last year I actually called RCI (we are Diamond) and asked them if they would match a price offered by one of our TAs. They told us they could not match the price. I talked to a supervisor and suggested it would be in their best interests to match prices since than they would not have to pay a TA commission, but they said it was not in the cruise line's best interest to alienate travel agents. Go figure!

Hank

The new TA could have lost your number, or wrote it down wrong. For the person that said not likely because of your history with the agency, unless your information is stored in the computer, it may not be there. Some TA's keep their information in an address book so other TA's can't get the information.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but you never know a family emergency might have happened and she's not at work. The big agency I use to work with that had government and corporate offices through out the country did have a few employees have heart attacks and die at the office. Takes a week or two to sort out everything they were working on, since you can't ask them any questions.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but you never know a family emergency might have happened and she's not at work. The big agency I use to work with that had government and corporate offices through out the country did have a few employees have heart attacks and die at the office. Takes a week or two to sort out everything they were working on, since you can't ask them any questions.

That is SO true. I had emailed my TA for something and she didn't answer me for days. Tried calling her and couldn't get an answer either. I was starting to get really ticked. Finally sent her another rather ahem pointed email and she called me back later the next day and told me that she had been away because her mom had passed away suddenly. I felt awful that I had automatically thought the worst of her. Good lesson learned. Call your TA back and if you get them on the phone, ASK them why they didn't call you back. They could have a very good reason.

Why use a ta? Some of them actuallly DO know as much as the folks on CC (and even more)... some of them offer assistance in selecting appropriate cruiselines, sailings, cabins, activities... some of them can provide valuable amenities and onboard credits as an incentive for booking with them... some of them can also assist with airfare and transfers... some of them have personal contacts at the cruiselines who can help resolve any issues that may arise before or after the cruise... some of them DON'T charge fees for handling these extras, or cancellation fees for that matter... Plenty of reasons to use a ta -- and to seek out an experienced one with references from friends...

I wonder what you (or spouse) do for a living? I've done both. I prefer booking myself through the cruisline, as I get better service from the cruise reps. I had to switch my last cruise to a TA because my husband won a travel voucher with an agency that does corporate bookings, and had difficulty with minor issues such as a simple hotel package. There are good TA's out there, but few and far between. Often they stall with paying the cruiseline, and documents come late. It happened to us twice.

Tasha

I work part time for a TA but when we do big group cruises the head TA is always finding the price drops for everyone. Also - when we were bumped from Feb 08 to Jan 08 because of our ship going into drydock it was obscene at how much of a discount we wound up getting not to mention the onboard credit. She just kept pushing and pushing and RCI would give a little bit each time. I guarantee that we could not have gotten the same $$ as she did. She knows the right people and knows the right things to say. I would never book or advise anyone to book directly with a cruise line even if they don't want to book through me. Simply put - the cruise line is in it for itself and if something happens...who do you go to? With a TA, they are on your side and will take care of the hassle for you.

Maybe the new TA lost your number, did you try calling back?

The new TA could have lost your number, or wrote it down wrong.

Is losing your phone number the sign of a good TA? Is this the TA that is going to be constantly checking for price drops? Why would you even consider trusting your cruise to someone that can't even keep track of your phone number?

That is SO true. I had emailed my TA for something and she didn't answer me for days. Tried calling her and couldn't get an answer either. I was starting to get really ticked. Finally sent her another rather ahem pointed email and she called me back later the next day and told me that she had been away because her mom had passed away suddenly. I felt awful that I had automatically thought the worst of her. Good lesson learned. Call your TA back and if you get them on the phone, ASK them why they didn't call you back. They could have a very good reason.

These are just a couple of more reasons not to use a travel agent. You seem like a low maintenance cruiser that could just book where the price is lowest and quit looking for the "great travel agent".

While some may have different opinions on the matter, here are some FACTS as posted before:

1) Any fare offered by an RCCL/X agent, including any perks, a travel agent will at least offer you that.

2) It is true that travel agents cannot discount normal fares as you would see them on RCCL/X's web site BUT:

a) A travel agent has access to group fares and/or perks on a number of sailing dates, even if you are not part of the group. Those fares CANNOT be offered by RCCL/X agents and do not violate the "no discount" rule.

b) A travel agent has access to fares from RCCL/X for some sailings that are only available to travel agents and that are not group fares. RCCL agents CANNOT offer those fares. These are lower fares but not considered a discount.

c) Depending on category booked, an agent might provide a gift ranging from something like a bottle of wine to shipboard credit. An RCCL/X agent cannot do this unless it is part of a RCCL/X package deal. If there is a RCCL/X package the travel agent will offer you that PLUS possibly the additional gift.

3) In case of problems, remember the RCCL/X agent works for the cruise line. The travel agent works for YOU.

4) Any booking made on board can be transferred to the travel agent and you keep the shipboard credit you received.

5) A good travel agent is MORE THAN a reservation clerk and can and will do more to maximize your cruising experience.

6) The travel agent can alert you to "Happy Hour" deals many days before the actual date, as they receive early notification. The RCCL/X agent generally does not know the "Happy Hour" deals before they are posted to them on Tuesday.

7) A travel agent can book "Happy Hour" deals before the RCCL/X phones open on Tuesday.

8) Many travel agents can and do notify you and act on price reductions.

By the way, Disney and Regent are "no discount" also.

If you book direct with cruise lines that do not forbid discounting you forgo the discount that a TA can provide.

• 2 weeks later...
To update- I called the TA that never called me back. She apologized for not calling back, and stated basically she forgot!?! She states she is going to look up some rates and call back, so we will see how it goes.

I can't say I'd have a lot of confidence in a TA that "forgets" to call me back...

For the most part I do all my own research & am fully capable of booking on my own but I like knowing my TA has my "back" should a problem arise......and I'm lucky to have a really top notch TA.. who doesn't mind if I call or email her after hours :D

Archived