Mariner Disappointment

JKHawaii

A friend of mine recently returned from the Sep 2-9 sailing of the Mariner. He said he was disappointed with this cruise compared to his previous Mariner cruise. He said there were fewer menu choices on this cruise. He also said some of the things he enjoyed on his previous cruise (for example, the Kruise Komics) were missing from his recent cruise. I was wondering if other veteran Mariner cruisers have the same perception? It's been a couple of years since I cruised on the Mariner. I was planning on taking another cruise before she rotates to the West Coast, but now I'm having second thoughts.

We sailed her for the first time, this last spring break on the insistance of the kids. We all loved her and booked her again, canceled due to life's crap. We'll sail the Mariner any day. The service was impecable, the promanade, the things to do with the teens and the night life, just made our voyage perfect. This was our favorite cruise, and got my 16 yr old, who had sworn off cruising last with carnival, hooked again. for us it's a clincher, the small details about the komics and smaller menu choices did NOT affect our experience. Give her a try again, we will be sure to.

Sorry to hear that - we had a fantastic cruise on Mariner last October (our favourite cruise yet). We haven't cruise on her since. Hope that RCCL isn't "cutting corners".

I also hope that your friend wrote down his comments on the cruise comment card - think it is good to feedback comments like this to RCCL...

Best Wishes,

Boo

We've been on Mariner three times in the last couple of years, most recently on the September 2nd sailing.

In our time on Mariner there have been no changes in the menu choices --- same number of options each night. Windjammer has the same number of options, and the menus for Chops have not changed. Can't comment on Portofinos as we have not eaten there.

As to the entertainment, I will say that I thought that a couple of options has disappeared, but I did notice that the majority of the stuff is the same.

So I wasn't disappointed in Mariner, but we are absolutely ready to try something new.

Just a quick comment on disappointment ... we went on Celebrity Constellation in the spring and I was really disappointed with the whole cruise. But that was all my own doing. I watched the commercials and bought into all of the hype, building up everything in my own mind and creating expectations that could never be met. Just a bit of perspective!

Just a quick comment on disappointment ... we went on Celebrity Constellation in the spring and I was really disappointed with the whole cruise. But that was all my own doing. I watched the commercials and bought into all of the hype, building up everything in my own mind and creating expectations that could never be met. Just a bit of perspective!

That is interesting... I am seeing that comment quite a bit (not particularly Celebrity, but a whole world of different things): it can be very easy to get caught up in advertising and even rave reviews on bulletin boards... and end up with very high expectations that would be very hard to meet.

Out of interest, what did you not like about the Celebrity cruise? We haven't sailed Celebrity at all yet (have done Mariner, Monarch, Grand Priness a couple of time, HAL - wasn't over the moon with HAL...) - so would be interested in your opinions :)

Boo

We will miss the Kruise Komics too. They were on the Freedom on our sailing last year sept/06. We really enjoyed them.

We were on the Mariner 9/2/07 sailing too. Food was very good. Seemed to be many choices to choose from. We did however, miss the live music by the pool. There was a band that played a couple songs and that was it. Lots of pre-recorded music. We really enjoy the calypso type live music that is played poolside. Guess that will be a thing of the past while RC is trying to cut costs. Too bad, as it really sets the atmosphere poolside for a cruise!

A friend of mine recently returned from the Sep 2-9 sailing of the Mariner. He said he was disappointed with this cruise compared to his previous Mariner cruise. He said there were fewer menu choices on this cruise. He also said some of the things he enjoyed on his previous cruise (for example, the Kruise Komics) were missing from his recent cruise. I was wondering if other veteran Mariner cruisers have the same perception? It's been a couple of years since I cruised on the Mariner. I was planning on taking another cruise before she rotates to the West Coast, but now I'm having second thoughts.

The changes that you mention have been implemented fleet wide, not just on the Mariner. The Krooze Komics had been on all the Voyager class ships but they now nowhere to be found. The menus have in fact been dumbed down again throughout the fleet. Whereas a basket of bread was always put on the table at dinner time, that is no longer the case, more expensive entree's have been deleted from the menu, there are less desserts, etc.

The changes that you mention have been implemented fleet wide, not just on the Mariner. The Krooze Komics had been on all the Voyager class ships but they now nowhere to be found. The menus have in fact been dumbed down again throughout the fleet. Whereas a basket of bread was always put on the table at dinner time, that is no longer the case, more expensive entree's have been deleted from the menu, there are less desserts, etc.

The Rhapsody last April was my first RCI cruise. I didnt know that they used to put the bread on the table, so I never missed it. They came to our table and passed it out whenever we wanted more.

Changes on the menu or even losing the band just don't have the power to lessen my cruise experience. It's still a lot nicer than my life as a stay at home mom back on land! So we'll keep cruising as often as we can afford... which isn't often enough at once a year! ;)

Ive been on the mariner five times now and have noticed changes, some good, some ok, but it doesnt stop me from going. I have noticed some of the menu changes, but I live with it, there has always been something for me to choose and enjoy at dinner. I have noticed quite a difference in the desserts, but my personal opinion of that is not as many people order desserts as you think and that is probably why they scaled back on it. I know after eating all day and then a big meal, it is hard to have dessert every night. Again that is just my personal opinion. I miss the krooze komic too, they were fun.

Change is inevidible, some people will like it, others wont. I wouldnt go on your friends opinion but instead decide yourself.

We have been on the Mariner a few times and the only thing I really noticed different were the Kruise Komics. They were great. So funny. We did miss them. However that didn't ruin our cruise on the wonderful Mariner. Can't wait til our next cruise on her next spring.

We have now been on the Mariner three times. The first time our experience was not as good as we would have liked. This was just our view, nothing specific, just was not one of the better cruises. We STILL HAD A GOOD TIME!!!

The second cruise on the Mariner was WONDERFUL!!! Everything was as good as could have been expected!!! The cruise could not have been better.

Our third cruise, this past May, was one of our least favorite. We were sailing with our same cruise group from the year before but the cruise itself was not the same. Our main complaint, the staff was just not friendly. Most of our group said the same thing. Our conclusion to this was RCCL had just put Liberty in the mix and we think the staff on the Mariner was, well as we come up with "left over." We think probably the better staff was taken from Mariner and placed on Liberty. Those that were left probably were not happy and showed it on our cruise.

Conclusion, we will probably not go back on the Mariner again unless the majority of our cruise group can get together again and decide on cruising on her. We currently have our next year's cruise scheduled for Adventure of the Seas.

DO NOT allow this post to keep you from going on the Mariner. This is just our perception only. You probably have a WONDERFUL TIME!!!

Just remember, a bad day of cruising is much better than any day of work!!!!!

Tim

I was on the 9/9 sailing of the Mariner and have to say it was my least favorite cruise to date........The Mariner is a lovely ship but the crew (at least the ones we had contact with) just didn't have the usual friendlness.....I'm glad I had a chance to try the Mariner before she moves west, but I wouldn't go out of my way to sail her again.....

Wow I personally am shocked by your post, not sure how others feel. My main reason for cruising the mariner is the staff. I know so many of them personally now, when I first get on the ship I have to go around and say hello to all of my friends and almost all of them are still there. I spend almost all of the first day visiting them all.

i do know when the mariner leaves port canaveral many of them will not go with the ship and will probably transfer to the one that takes its place.

We were on the Mariner for the 7/22 voyage and absolutely loved her. it was our first time aboard her and she surpassed all our expectations. So please, don't let your friend's comment keep you from checking the Mariner out yourself. :)

I am sailing on the Mariner for the first time this November. I'm usually not one to be discouraged by other people's comments - but I am a bit concerned over the comments regarding the crew.

A big part of cruising is the crew! I have been fortunate that on every one of my cruises, the crew have been helpful and friendly - it sounds as if this may not be the case on the Mariner :(

I am more than a little sad to hear that there is little to no live music around the pool - those steel drums really get everyone in the mood!

I'm going to do a comprehensive review of my cruise complete with pictures!

Who was Kruise Komics? i'v been on 24+ RCCL cruise and never seen Kruise Komics.
I don't know if this question was ever answered. Are the Kruise Komics those two guys that dressed strangely running around among the seats telling corny jokes and would "entertain" the people waiting for a show to start or the ice skating show to start? I seem to remember seeing those guys on a couple early Voyager class ships (don't remember the specific ones) that we've cruised on.

Tim

We are going to be on the Mainer in 5 weeks and this is our first RC cruise and after reading this I am very worried now.We have been on 3 other cruises all with Carnival and we have nothing less than Phenominal service and I was hoping for that with the Mariner and now I am thinking that may not happen.

Why oh why did I read this:rolleyes:

I don't know if this question was ever answered. Are the Kruise Komics those two guys that dressed strangely running around among the seats telling corny jokes and would "entertain" the people waiting for a show to start or the ice skating show to start? I seem to remember seeing those guys on a couple early Voyager class ships (don't remember the specific ones) that we've cruised on.

Tim

Yes and we found them to be quite fun!

Who was Kruise Komics? i'v been on 24+ RCCL cruise and never seen Kruise Komics.

Kruise Komics were a great addition to the whole entertainment picture on the Royal Caribbean ships. The very first time DH and I saw them, we were seated in the front row of Studio B on a Voyager class ship, waiting for the ice show to start. All of a sudden, some guy calls out to his "wife" and asks for help to climb over the railing so he could get into the first row without having to ask anyone already seated to get up. I said to my husband, "what is wrong with these people?" Well, that's when the fun started. OMG, they were hilarious. He wound up balancing on the railing and walking on the seat rests to get to a seat. At one point, he held on to my husband's sholder, trying to maintain his balance. Then she went belly down on the railing and slid over to one of the seats on the opposite end, as if she were swimming.

DH and I loved the Kruise Komics. Another place we saw them on a Voyager class ship was on the promanade. The night the Captains Coctail party was held on the promonade, the Kruise Komics were swing dancing while the orchestra played. Of coarse, they were in costume and again, were hilarious.

I miss them very much. Royal Caribbean had the entertainment factor just a cut above all the rest with these talented comics/jugglers/dancers/all around entertainers.

We have friends who sailed on the Mariner Sept. 9 and said they had a wonderful cruise. They said the service was excellent, friendly crew and good food.

We will sail on her for the first time Oct. 28 and we are looking forward to it. I think you have to take comments, especially negative ones, with "a grain of salt". It is all personal perception. I would not allow other folk's comments to influence me. Go with an open mind and have a great cruise.

Arlene

quote=WeWant2BCruzin;11709147]We are going to be on the Mainer in 5 weeks and this is our first RC cruise and after reading this I am very worried now.We have been on 3 other cruises all with Carnival and we have nothing less than Phenominal service and I was hoping for that with the Mariner and now I am thinking that may not happen.

Why oh why did I read this:rolleyes:

Please don't let some of our "less than great" comments worry you, everyone has their own experiences on a cruise....I'm sure there were people on my cruise who thought it was the cruise of a lifetime...I have yet to be on a BAD cruise.....some are just "BETTER" :D

Please don't let some of our "less than great" comments worry you, everyone has their own experiences on a cruise....I'm sure there were people on my cruise who thought it was the cruise of a lifetime...I have yet to be on a BAD cruise.....some are just "BETTER" :D

Thanks,Thats how we have been on every cruise each one is better than the last.we are not really hard to please,we just love to cruise.

Archived