HAL-Never Again

njsonja

Nutritional data of Spam

A 56 gram (approximately 2 ounce) serving of original Spam provides 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fat (23% US Daily Value) including 6 grams of saturated fat (28% US Daily Value), and over 170 calories. A serving contains nearly a third of the recommended daily intake of sodium (salt). Spam provides very little in terms of vitamins and minerals (0% vitamin A, 1% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 3% iron). It has been listed as a food that is a poor choice for weight loss (or weight gain) and optimum health and as a food that "is high in saturated fat and sodium". [5]

So I guess you're saying a "lifetime supply" isn't much because Spam reeeaaallllyy shortens your life. ;)

I've always wondered why people's first reaction to preservatives is "OMG! Bad!". One of the most common, EDTA, a chelating agent that forms complexes with metal cations is, in addition to being a food additive, widely used to treat lead and mercury poisoning. Consider eating twinkies as a sort of . . . vaccination again heavy metal poisoning.

Or after having lunch at Toys 'r Us.....;)

box_twinkies.jpg

(Will this cause me to be branded a "Twinkie Cheerleader?") ;)

At this point I don't know if this will be on-topic or off-topic! But I have to share something we recently served at our neighborhood Christmas party:

Twinkie Martini

2 oz vanilla vodka

1 oz Bailey's

Splash of cream

Shake well with ice and strain into a glass.

Liquid Twinkie!

Actually, it doesn't taste exactly like a Twinkie, but after a couple you won't care.

At this point I don't know if this will be on-topic or off-topic! But I have to share something we recently served at our neighborhood Christmas party:

Twinkie Martini

2 oz vanilla vodka

1 oz Bailey's

Splash of cream

Liquid Twinkie!

Actually, it doesn't taste exactly like a Twinkie, but after a couple you won't care.

Oh my GOD that sounds so good!

Twinkie Martini

2 oz vanilla vodka

1 oz Bailey's

Splash of cream

Liquid Twinkie!

Kate, you are in charge of making these on the Yum Yum Man Cruise :D

John, Dank U

I should have added the Happy New Year part as well:)

Niets te danken/You're welcome

And "u" as in "dank u" is formal. If you know someone, you can say "je" as in "dank je" (Thank you) or "dankjewel":)

And so endeth Dutch lesson #1

Niets te danken/You're welcome

And "u" as in "dank u" is formal. If you know someone, you can say "je" as in "dank je" (Thank you) or "dankjewel":)

And so endeth Dutch lesson #1

I always liked "bedankt" - thought it had a certain class to it - but I made the mistake of saying it to Captain Dijk (former Captain of the Rotterdam VI) at dinner one night and he corrected me, very politely, by saying "dankjewel" was more correct. So the next day I mentioned to the gorgeous Appollonia van Ravenstein (now the wife of Captain van Zaane) and Peter Daems what Captain Dijk had said and both of them said "oh don't listen to him bedankt is just fine" - is that true?:confused:

Valerie:)

I always liked "bedankt" - thought it had a certain class to it - but I made the mistake of saying it to Captain Dijk (former Captain of the Rotterdam VI) at dinner one night and he corrected me, very politely, by saying "dankjewel" was more correct. So the next day I mentioned to the gorgeous Appollonia van Ravenstein (now the wife of Captain van Zaane) and Peter Daems what Captain Dijk had said and both of them said "oh don't listen to him bedankt is just fine" - is that true?:confused:

Valerie

Val, "bedankt" is used in less formal occassions also (as in you know the person you're saying it to but not someone you just met unless you're buying fresh salted herring in the Amsterdam open air market or a cop just gave you a ticket:D ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: )

OZ I just want to wish youVrolijk kerstfeest

since I know that you are about to leave on vacation:)

Lisa, John: Bedankt!!! looking forward to my leave, time to play some golf (although I probably have to head south in Europe for more favourable conditions....)

When to use 'bedankt' 'dank u wel' or 'dank je wel'? For the last 2 John is right, 'u for formal address, 'je' voor friends etc.

I think you use 'bedankt' more as a quick reply, as 'thanks'.

Never really gave it much thought.

Lisa, John: Bedankt!!! looking forward to my leave, time to play some golf (although I probably have to head south in Europe for more favourable conditions....)

When to use 'bedankt' 'dank u wel' or 'dank je wel'? For the last 2 John is right, 'u for formal address, 'je' voor friends etc.

I think you use 'bedankt' more as a quick reply, as 'thanks'.

Never really gave it much thought.

They play golf in Holland now, Oz?? Cool:) Got any difficult courses like over the Afsluitdijk for instance?

You're right though! "Bedankt" is probably more like "thanks"

And here I thought that "bedankt" was more formal - so what do I know about Dutch? Heck I can barely even spit out English most days:D .

Thank you both John and Oz for your prompt replies.

John: If I ever happen to be driving north, and in the Torrance area, and a tall, dark and handsome Cop, with an accent, gives me a ticket then you can believe that he is going to get more than just a "bedankt" from me: he is going to get a quick education in Anglo-Saxon, at which I am very proficient having spent a couple of years working for the Gloucestershire Constabulary (only as a secretary in the Warrant Office, but wow I did get quite an education there, believe me);).

Valerie:D

And here I thought that "bedankt" was more formal - so what do I know about Dutch? Heck I can barely even spit out English most days:D .

Thank you both John and Oz for your prompt replies.

John: If I ever happen to be driving north, and in the Torrance area, and a tall, dark and handsome Cop, with an accent, gives me a ticket then you can believe that he is going to get more than just a "bedankt" from me: he is going to get a quick education in Anglo-Saxon, at which I am very proficient having spent a couple of years working for the Gloucestershire Constabulary (only as a secretary in the Warrant Office, but wow I did get quite an education there, believe me);).

Valerie:D

Bang 300!

We don't have any tall, dark and handsome cops with accents here, Val

Archived