HAL-Never Again

njsonja

Actually, No - the waiter said the correct thing, per his training.

It's called "Managing Expectations": Underpromise and Overdeliver.

Remember that Lobster is served on last formal night - the waiter had obviously had to deal w/ her and her demanding nature for a week prior to this incident. If he had said "Yes Ma'am" and gone into the kitchen only to be told that they were running low on lobster and he could only have two for her, he'd have had to handle an angry, ill-tempered passenger who had "been promised" three or four tails.

The OP was in the wrong for demanding, then threatening the waiter. If it had been me she was dealing with - she wouldn't have been served dinner at all.

I totally agree with Brian. If a waiter said that to me, my impression would be he was checking on availability, not willingness or policy to bring the addtional lobster.

I've also noticed, that be it language or culture, most HAL staff are pretty conservative in their speech ...."please let me check", "I'll look into it for you"...these are all pretty common responses and I dont think the intention is rude at all.

I just got off a 10 day cruise on the Volendam, and we ate lunch every day on the Lido and I only remember rotisserie chicken one day, I do remember the stuffed Veal roast, the Barron of beef carving station, the leg of lamb, the beef and chicken Asian dishes, the sushi, the Italian pasta, the baked and fried fish, different beef, turkey and yes chicken deli sandwiches and wraps and the best burgers ever on a cruise at the grill. . Our Volendam cruise was the best cruise my DW and I have been on to date. The food at ALL times was far superior to any other cruise, but again that is only my opinion. I have not been on the Noordam, but I can not imagine that the food on the Volendam could be that much different. I almost have to agree with earlier posters and think this OP either is rather picky, has a full time gourmet cook at home or is just a plant by a rival cruise line to put HAL down:eek:

I've also noticed, that be it language or culture, most HAL staff are pretty conservative in their speech ...."please let me check", "I'll look into it for you"...these are all pretty common responses and I dont think the intention is rude at all.

That was my experience, also.

We can absolutely get to 200. Yes, we can.

Nothing.

Not at all, Golfette. Chances are, if the thread makes it to 200 it will continue on for many more posts.

And, by the way, I did receive your e-mail from November 25th. If you would like to communicate, please send a functional email address to mine (the email address which you typed into the mac.com contact form came back as invalid).

What happens when we get to 200???

WE get to add up all the time we've spent on this thread and then reflect on how behind we are in Christmas shopping, cleaning the house, paying bills, working, or what have you. Then we call a good therapist.

:)

Make mine a brandy and I'll join ya. :D

Fadda, this is your busy season. What do you do to cope with the stress?

Can't say I'm under stress yet, but I have to make the final payment on this MSC cruise coming up and I'm thinking, "and I booked this now because WHY?"

People were seated with people who didn't speak the same language...how fun!

Just think about it...if you're bilingual but you're with your family, are you gonna speak your native tounge or the 2nd language?

Heck, I'm gonna speak my native tounge with my family unless I want to include you in the conversation.

Fadda, this is your busy season. What do you do to cope with the stress?

I love this time of the year. Yes, it's also a stressful time due to my full-to-overflowing schedule and there not being enough hours in a day to get everything done that I have on my plate. Add to that my mounting excitement about my up-coming South American cruise and it makes this a wild time of the year. The only downer is that this is my first Christmas since my Dad's death this last May, and my mother is having a very difficult time of it (so am I, for that matter).

I love this time of the year. Yes, it's also a stressful time due to my full-to-overflowing schedule and there not being enough hours in a day to get everything done that I have on my plate. Add to that my mounting excitement about my up-coming South American cruise and it makes this a wild time of the year. The only downer is that this is my first Christmas since my Dad's death this last May, and my mother is having a very difficult time of it (so am I, for that matter).

Oh, I totally understand because my SIL lost her mother in August- she was a constant presence at every birthday party, Christmas party, and was with SIL all the time. It's very sad, especially for the kiddos. My DH lost his mother two years ago and she was the lynchpin of every family gathering, all the holiday organizing, etc. He is still getting over her death on a daily basis.

Sorry for your loss.

Just think about it...if you're bilingual but you're with your family, are you gonna speak your native tounge or the 2nd language?

Heck, I'm gonna speak my native tounge with my family unless I want to include you in the conversation.

I have been with family members who have carried on a lengthy conversation in their native tongue (different from mine), even though they were bilingual.

I was overseas visiting one cousin who took me around the country for two weeks visiting all my aunts and uncles who didn't speak English. Then we made plans to visit some cousins who did. Before we arrived, my cousin commented that it will be nice for me to finally be around people who speak English, instead of having to listen to him translate everything for me. Instead, all my cousins proceeded to speak in their native language only! My host cousin tried several times to switch the conversation to English, but to no avail. Yes, I realize that I was the visitor in their country, but I felt very excluded. Let's just say I memorized every mark in the wall that day!

Greg, as you probably tell people yourself, it takes a long time to get over the death of beloved family members. It's especially hard at holidays when their absence is particularily felt. When my two year old grandson was born two years ago this Saturday, he was named after my dad who had died 32 years ago. I had to speak about him and it started the mourning process all over again. Hang in there!

I just wanted to say, that as we near the 200 mark (198 and countin'), that it has been really wonderful spending this holiday season with all of you. I think we have three "Never Agains," three "Always HALs," and about 40 "Love HAL along with other cruiselines, in fact, a day at sea is preferable to my miserable land-based existence, just wish I knew how to say 'May I have Some Grey Poupon' in Balinese, I was ok until she said that whole thing about causing a scene, pour me a brandy, The End-ers."

Greg, as you probably tell people yourself, it takes a long time to get over the death of beloved family members. It's especially hard at holidays when their absence is particularily felt. When my two year old grandson was born two years ago this Saturday, he was named after my dad who had died 32 years ago. I had to speak about him and it started the mourning process all over again. Hang in there!

Thank you Carol. It's hard, thus far, for me; Christmas has always been big for ur family and that was largely due to my Dad. Dad was big on decorating; he was also big on the family going to Church on Christmas Eve, etc., hence my mind will be continually going back to him in connection both to family events and also Church.

As hard as it is for me, it's even more difficult for my mother; I've had to stop trying to be her pastor and just be her son, and yet she refuses to seek professional help and just continues to spiral more deeply into depression. <sigh>

Again, thanks.

Archived