HAL-Never Again

njsonja

Does that mean if I eat them, I will be able to cruise forever?;)

What was the original topic again? Rev, it looks like your little angel has taken on a life of her own!

LOL ... that does happen! Frankly, I find Hostess Twinkies and Hostess Ding-Dongs far more interesting (and tasty). It's just that they're too fattening (and they're definitely NOT on the Atkins diet plan, are they??). :D

What about Hostess "Twinkie?" I heard that according to the preservatives that are added, that the Twinkie has an "eternal life." :p

A twinkie left in it's packaging in the Great Pyramid of Giza, will last for 10,000 years. :) Well, at least for 30 years. (see HERE)

A twinkie left in it's packaging in the Great Pyramid of Giza, will last for 10,000 years. :) Well, at least for 30 years. (see HERE)

I know people want to believe this myth about the beloved/reviled Twinkie, but the truth is they have a shelf life of 25 days.

I check out all rumors before I spread them further at http://www.hoax.com or in this case http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp

I know people want to believe this myth about the beloved/reviled Twinkie, but the truth is they have a shelf life of 25 days.

I check out all rumors before I spread them further at http://www.hoax.com or in this case http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp

Yes yes yes ... I KNOW they have a shelf-life of 25 days. The company that makes them does that in hopes that people will buy more. Shelf-life does NOT equate to their lasting-power.

Did you check the link I gave in my post to a page on answers.com? I also used to believe every debunking on snopes.com -- and they're usually correct and I DO check it, often, when I get email myths, etc. -- however, sometimes (and note, I said sometimes) they're wrong or misleading. In this case, they are misleading. Click on the link I gave in my post before you answer.

Yes, they have a shelf-life of 25 days. This doesn't mean that they can't last a LOT longer than that ... as in 30 years. Yes, according to the article on answers.com which I linked in my post, a Twinkie survived for 30 years. That's not a hoax, nor is it an urban myth; that's a FACT.

In one small classroom experiment at George Stevens Academy, a single Twinkie, removed from all packaging, did not spoil for 30 years, although it became "rather brittle".[4]

But Greg, who would buy them because they liked them and still have them around 25 days later? They aren't chocolate, so I don't care for them, but if I did, they'd not last 25 days or longer here.:D

hehehehe ... good point!

I check out all rumors before I spread them further at www.hoax.com or in this case http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp

Hey! Thanks for the heads-up on hoax.com. I'd never heard of it. (I too grow weary from over-circulated "urban legends".) :)

Yes yes yes ... I KNOW they have a shelf-life of 25 days. The company that makes them does that in hopes that people will buy more. Shelf-life does NOT equate to their lasting-power.

Did you check the link I gave in my post to a page on answers.com? I also used to believe every debunking on snopes.com -- and they're usually correct and I DO check it, often, when I get email myths, etc. -- however, sometimes (and note, I said sometimes) they're wrong or misleading. In this case, they are misleading. Click on the link I gave in my post before you answer.

Yes, they have a shelf-life of 25 days. This doesn't mean that they can't last a LOT longer than that ... as in 30 years. Yes, according to the article on answers.com which I linked in my post, a Twinkie survived for 30 years. That's not a hoax, nor is it an urban myth; that's a FACT.

Well, I don't know if it's a fact or not. Just because it's written somewhere doesn't prove it. And if you follow all the links you'll see that the Twinkie was moldy and brittle. I don't know many people who would eat it.

Regardless, the lasting power of the Twinkie (One wouldn't last a minute around me) isn't that telling. I think honey, which is as natural as can be, is supposedly the longest surviving of foods. Didnt' they find some in Egyptian tombs that was still edible? (Don't ask me for the source on that--I just heard it or read it somewhere--so maybe it's not true!).

Anyway, I'm just sticking up for the Twinkie. YUM.

Sorry you were disappointed. We were just on the Noordam to Alaska in August and my folks just returned from the Noordam's Caribbean cruise out of NY that returned the day you departed. We both had excellent experiences, so I am surprised to hear things went so badly. Our experience was different in that we love the Lido for the fruits, yummy pastas and the daily selection of fish. Also, you have to love Rudy, the juice guy in the morning. He remembered my preference for grapefruit juice. I also thought the crew there was a lot of fun. It's going to be a while before I forget them playing an air guitar version "Satisfaction" by the Stones while serving. I don't think any of us ever looked for chocolate milk or chocolate ice cream so I can't respond to that.

Yes, the Pinnacle was excellent. I thought it was $30 well-spent. My halibut and king crab leg entree was off-the-hook!

The internet manager should NOT have been rude, but I don't see how management could have known you are teetotalers or diabetic.

The food availability between the end of dinner and the beginning of the midnight buffet is a little weird. We ate so much at dinner that we didn't really notice. Sometimes our son got a bit peckish and we took him to the late buffet as soon as it was available. But, also there was always a generous selection of fresh fruit in our room. Bambang, our steward, got our preferences the first day and kept us well-stocked.

As for room service, we only used it once but found eating pasta primavera and salmon on our balcony and watching the scenery a lovely experience.

When you say a mini-suite---Princess's term---, do you mean an SS or SZ or SY? We had an SS and stretched width-wise across the bed to watch TV. I could see how that would be awkward if you like to watch TV as you are falling asleep. But I'm no fan of the Princess mini-suite two TV configuration either.

I really love HAL so I'm sad that they've lost a customer. Maybe you should write to management in Seattle and let them know about your experience?

Could they give you a discount big enough to entice you to try again?

TWINKIE DEFENSE!!

Not being from the USA, I don't even know what a Twinkie is!;) (except in a slang sense which I'm sure would never be used in this forum).

Okay, I just googled Twinkie and up came the info. It even describe Twinkie Defense! Well, you learn something new every day. Very witty!

We live in Canada and usually plan at least a two day pre cruise. Going in Jan. Given where the US dollar is, we are going three days in advance and spending one post cruise day shopping (at least my spouse is). We typically have to change plans BUT we don't take any of this Chicago, Toronto, or Denver business. Always book with AA or Continental so we can fly immediately south. Thought last Dec we had to reroute from AA to Contintal because DFW was closed-ice/snow. I just cannot imaging flying the day of the cruise if you are flying from a location that is prone to bad weather or if you have to change planes at a major hub that has the same issue. We like winding down prior to the cruise. We NEVER use cruise line hotel offerings. They are about forty percent higher than internet or walk in rate.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people actually think it matters to the rest of the cruise world if they didn't enjoy the experience. HAL will not fold if one client dislikes the sailing experience--so, get over yourself. And to all of you who seem to want to argue the merits of HAL, remember that each of us is different. I would never want to sail on Carnival--in fact, I discourage people from going on it, BUT, it is the most popular cruise line going. So there is something for everyone--but then no one truly cares what I think.

Let's allow this particular thread to DIE--I am tired of seeing it each time I log on. I love HAL and want to read e mails from others who are like minded.

Mom C

What's happened to this thread?

It has been incredibly entertaining but now seems to have deteriorated to mindless dross. What a shame!

I agree....I was reading this thread in it's infancy...is this what happens to most threads?

A shame???? Don't you like "It's a Wonderful Life"?

"An angel gets her wings" ????

I had to search back a few pages. (must have nodded off while reading them the first time;) )

Yes, we love that film in Australia. Every Christmas we snuggle around the air conditioner to watch it, chilling marshmallows while it's 100 degrees plus outside.

Okay, now I'm definitely guilty of adding to the off-topic content of this thread:o .

Steve.

Well, I don't know if it's a fact or not. Just because it's written somewhere doesn't prove it. And if you follow all the links you'll see that the Twinkie was moldy and brittle. I don't know many people who would eat it.

Regardless, the lasting power of the Twinkie (One wouldn't last a minute around me) isn't that telling. I think honey, which is as natural as can be, is supposedly the longest surviving of foods. Didnt' they find some in Egyptian tombs that was still edible? (Don't ask me for the source on that--I just heard it or read it somewhere--so maybe it's not true!).

Anyway, I'm just sticking up for the Twinkie. YUM.

LOL ... agreed! :D

"An angel gets her wings" ????

I had to search back a few pages. (must have nodded off while reading them the first time;) )

Yes, we love that film in Australia. Every Christmas we snuggle around the air conditioner to watch it, chilling marshmallows while it's 100 degrees plus outside.

Okay, now I'm definitely guilty of adding to the off-topic content of this thread:o .

Steve.

Oh, you're much better off than I am- it's 29 degrees out Fahrenheit, misting snow, the streets are slick, and it was a very grey day today.:(

Archived