Is anyone else feeling like me?

LoveLifeAtSea

I have been having split feelings. On one hand, I am very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam on October 2, BUT, on the other hand, I am feeling so down and out.

I KNOW it has to do with all of the hurricanes attacking Florida and the Islands, but I just don't understand what I am feeling. I always get so excited about my upcoming cruises, yet, this time, I have such a heavy feeling in my heart. Maybe I am feeling guilty about something wonderful when so many others have so much sorrow, pain and loss?

Am I alone here?

I understand what you are saying, LoveLife, and agree that it is so sad to think of the devastation, hardship, loss. I think perhaps some of the issue may be if you are a bit more tired than usual; maybe you are/have been concerned about a family member who is dear to you.....

While you would have to have a heart of stone IMO to not feel for innocent people being subjected to such a nightmare; for their lives to be turned inside out and just the sheer terror of experiencing that blowing wind for hour after hour. BUT, you cannot/should not let it get control of your mood entirely. It is only a part of all you experience daily. There is also the part about dragging out your suitcase soon and starting to put some clothes in it. The part about getting psyched to CRUISE!!! Best mood lifter there is!!

I have been having split feelings. On one hand, I am very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the Zuiderdam on October 2, BUT, on the other hand, I am feeling so down and out.

I KNOW it has to do with all of the hurricanes attacking Florida and the Islands, but I just don't understand what I am feeling. I always get so excited about my upcoming cruises, yet, this time, I have such a heavy feeling in my heart. Maybe I am feeling guilty about something wonderful when so many others have so much sorrow, pain and loss?

Am I alone here?

I am feeling exactly the same way and couldn't figure out why, but it has to be that so many people are having such a hard time with these storms, and the worst is on its way. I am keeping them in my prayers.

Dee

Sail and CruisinNana ... thank you both for letting me vent! I do feel for these victims so much and I appreciate your responses.

Since posting, I have heard from a very wise friend who understood what I was feeling and knew that I was wanting to take on so many other's sorrows as my own, but knew it wasn't really helping those affected.

So, I will try to remember what I was once taught ... that we all go through what we do for a spiritual growth.

In the meantime, I will do what I can to give others hope for joy and normalcy ... on this board, I guess that means START PACKING!

I will continue to pray for those affected and hope for the very best of others!

I think the worst thing we can do is to cancel our cruises. :eek: The reality is that cruise passengers fill hotels, restaurants and airports in Florida. The revenues generated by that will allow others hopefully to return to "normal" after this devastating hurricane season is through.:cool:

We all pray that Ivan takes mercy on the already battered areas it is going through.

Well I for one who is experiencing this hurricane situation can't wait to get on my cruise Oct 2 on the Zuiderdam. I am SOOOO looking forward to getting away for a week. We are all so stressed out. I don't even care if they cancel all ports of call or are delayed in getting back. Just get me away from all this. Don't feel bad...the islands and Florida NEED tourists to come back ASAP! My DH works at an upscale hotel in Palm Beach and is currently "out of work" with this whole mess until they can resume operations....resuming operations is when the tourists come back. COME TO FLORIDA...Please!!!!

Am I alone here?

I'm right there with you, I haven't even been home from my last 2 crusies very long, we were chased by Charley one week but no biggy (missed grand caymen island), the second week was great. Now that I'm home and watching all these huricanes, and feeling very blessed to have had 2 wonderful crusies with very little huricane problems, I'm seeing all the devastation and I just cant seem to get excited about my 4 day cruise in Dec. (Ladies Only) while 4 of the other ladies this will be their first cruise for them so they are very excited.

We made our final payment on our December cruise yesterday. We are not out of the woods with Ivan yet, but we decided that we needed some kind of joy in our life, something to look forward to that is positive. Go enjoy your cruise and have the time of your life. Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes for us here in Florida. I think that everyone here is totally stressed out and very tired.

I know exactly what you are feeling. A few years ago we did a cruise at Christmas - a couple of hurricanes had gone through the islands and damage was extensive. In fact we were the first ship to be allowed back in St Maarten the damage was so bad. We kept debating whether to cancel the cruise or not. Of course we went through with it. It was very heart breaking arriving at the islands and seeing so many homes and businesses with the blue tarps for roofs - 2 months after the hurricanes had gone through.

I am going to be on the Volendam in early November and I just hope the hurricanes are ended when I go. They can be nasty but at least people get a warning with them. Tornado don't give much warning. Last April a tornado ended about 800 feet from this computer I am using.

HIMSELF

LoveLife, I think what you're feeling only shows your compassion which is a good thing. People without compassion are people without heart. So rejoice in it. However, no one would want a lethargy and depression to settle over everyone just because we may be having a difficult time right now.

Every human gets a turn at bad times. And we rise above it and move on and that is called the human spirit. So you should let yourself feel what you feel, but don't let it get you down.

I say full steam ahead with your excitement. Right this second whatever powers exist out there are steering this horrible hurricane farther west into the Gulf. And it's hopeful that Jamaica did not get the full center force of the hurricane. I'm not belittling the damage there, but they had thought the island might get the full eye wall force.

So pack your bags and your money and spend spend spend on the poor islands that need it. In 8 weeks we'll be headed to that pier with a happy heart and you should, too:D

It hurts to watch others in pain. It is also the anniversary time of Sept 11, which does make people somewhat sad right now. There also may be something in your life you are not facing that would make this cruise less than fun.. Hurricane season peaks at the end of September and by the first of November it is done (OK they can have bad storms but they are not called hurricanes).. most of the bad activity is right now. This is also an exceptionally bad year.. but this too shall pass..

Yes, the folks of Florida and many of the Caribbean islands are having a very rough go of things, BUT that is not a reason not to rejoice in your coming vacations. It because we know sorrow and fear that happiness is so sweet. When it is your time to dance, dance for all you are worth. Enjoy the good moments. Sorrow and loss will come. You can't stop that. BUT you can enjoy your moments in the sunshine.

I want to thank each of you for your understanding and support. :) Your kind and encouraging responses have helped to free me of the heaviness that I have been feeling. Because of that I am allowing myself to get excited again and concentrate on my plans. This morning I even began the process of “what to pack” and going through my clothes.

Heather, Sage and Taszmom ….. :) As Floridians affected by these storms, I especially appreciate your encouragement to go and have a great time. That was very special. And I am so happy to hear that each and every one of you has a cruise planned in the near future. That is great! When times are tough we all need something wonderful and positive to look forward to! I believe it helps us to get through the bad times.

And, I totally agree with those of you who posted that Florida and the Islands depend heavily on tourism for their economic support. I am hoping to do my part! These last 2 hurricanes have caused me to place my final plans on hold, but if all goes well, I will be spending 3 days in South Florida before my cruise and possibly another day or 2 after the cruise. I hope to wrap that up within the next couple of days.

I do want to apologize for sounding like I was whining when I started this thread. I know what I have been feeling is so very trivial to all else that has been happening lately. But, you have allowed me to do so without criticism and I thank you for that.

LoveLife, no feeling is trivial when it's yours! Remember when I felt guilty after Frances because I felt sorry for myself when so many others were worse off? Sail and many others told me I shouldn't ever feel guilty for how I feel.

So I say the same thing to you. Don't apologize. You were there for me then, we're here for you now. Also, as bad as I felt a week ago, DH and I are busy getting things back in order, staking up bent trees, fallen trees in our development are being cut up and hauled away and life is returning to normal. There's always a light after the darkness ... always. That you felt compassion for those in pain is nothing less than admirable.

LovelLife: want cheese to go with your whine?? Non seriously.. you are not whining.. everyone let's stuff get to them sometimes.. everyone has down days... I am having one today.. but this too shall pass and plans will happen!!! Everyone's personal hurts are just as important as everyone elses.. you are entitled to them.. I have a good cry or get my nails done when its bad.. I know it's silly but honestly I feel better and can move forward.. Creating your packing list will help as long as you see it as a positive and not something you "have to do"...

I did not want to edit my post.. I always wonder what people "took out" so I am adding this one.. There is supposed to be a smiley after the whine/cheese comment in the above post and that comment is supposed to make LoveLife smile.. it was not intended to be mean spirited but it is possible to read it that way.. I just want to cover my bases here.

Three years ago today, it was my turn. Helping others helped me, altho I don't watch tv on the anniversary as they always show the plane (UAL 175). When you cruise in those areas, be generous especially to the churches and Red Cross. The shops may or may not be locally-owned, but you can bet the local charities will know how to use your donations. Then enjoy a second dessert without guilt or sadness. You have done your part.

I did not want to edit my post.. I always wonder what people "took out" so I am adding this one.. There is supposed to be a smiley after the whine/cheese comment in the above post and that comment is supposed to make LoveLife smile.. it was not intended to be mean spirited but it is possible to read it that way.. I just want to cover my bases here.

Nancy, since you wonder what people "take out" when editing? I rarely take out anything, but often after submitting (even if I've previewed) I either think of something to add, or I see a glaring typo or grammatical error so I edit. You shouldn't hesitate to do that.

Hope your day gets better!:)

Nliedel .... you are so sweet to want to clarify that! Of course I knew your comment was not mean spirited and YES, it did make me :) ! It was a cute comment .... and right up my alley!

I hope you are having a better day by now also.

TomC .... I'm sorry for whatever your circumstances were 3 years ago!

And I, too, believe in giving donations to help others. Besides the American Red Cross, there is a specific relief fund set up for Florida www.flahurricanefund.org. Thanks for the tip regarding the Islands.

Archived