bath robes on the deck!-why?

lafayettedvm

Ok, pick the lesser of the two evils:

The bath robe peeps.

-Or-

The often seen, usually European, older male with waaaaay too much sun tan oil on. Strutting about on the lido deck in nothing more than a pair of 90's style water shoes, a speedo, and a fanny pack; jabbering at people in Greek/Italian/French/Spanish.

Personally, I will take the robe people. In fact I think they sould create a toga party night a-la Animal House. Of course the robes couls stand in for the togas, and the Captain could stand in for Bluto.

for one it is usually because the cruiseline is having a "bathrobe" theme party for the guest to "have fun"

its all in good clean honest fun.. its not like a wet tshirt contest or anything :eek: just a way to get all the passengers to be comfortable and get to now eachother in a quirky , silly sort of way..( to spend more $ on drinks):cool:

and we are not at the ritz... we are on a carnival "fun" cruise ship.. on a fun vacation... ( but i do wear my robe when I stay at the "W" in NYC.. the doormen always starts up a great how's life treatin ya convo with me...)

Life is what you make it... not what other people do...

On our Carnival ship where we had to go thru Immigration to get to St Thomas, there were LOTS of people wearing them standing in line in protest. It really is a bad system. We were willing to stay on the ship rather than get dragged out of bed on our vacation, but we had to do it anyway.

so why not wear a robe in the lobby of the ritz? or on the plane? why is this acceptable on a cruise ship? i am not really upset, just trying to understand the reasoning.

There are pools and jacuzzis aboard the ship. Some people choose to use the ship supplied robes to cover up while they are in transit from thier rooms to the pool/jacuzzi. Whilst they are pooling/jacuzzing they might decide to partake of a little lunch, etc and go to the buffet in thier robe (since you need to cover up to do that) before going back to pooling or jacuzzing. Or do you say that upon deciding the person wants lunch that they have to trudge back to thier room change into clothes go back to the buffet and eat lunch then go back to the room and change back to swim attire and robe and return to pooling and jacuzzing?

There are no pools on any commercial aeroplane that I am aware of so why would you want to wear a robe there. If there was a pool/jacuzzi at the Ritz you would wear the robe while in transit there as well.

I hope this is simple enough for you.

There are pools and jacuzzis aboard the ship. Some people choose to use the ship supplied robes to cover up while they are in transit from thier rooms to the pool/jacuzzi. Whilst they are pooling/jacuzzing they might decide to partake of a little lunch, etc and go to the buffet in thier robe (since you need to cover up to do that) before going back to pooling or jacuzzing. Or do you say that upon deciding the person wants lunch that they have to trudge back to thier room change into clothes go back to the buffet and eat lunch then go back to the room and change back to swim attire and robe and return to pooling and jacuzzing?

There are no pools on any commercial aeroplane that I am aware of so why would you want to wear a robe there. If there was a pool/jacuzzi at the Ritz you would wear the robe while in transit there as well.

I hope this is simple enough for you.

amen!

so why not wear a robe in the lobby of the ritz? or on the plane? why is this acceptable on a cruise ship? i am not really upset, just trying to understand the reasoning.

You can't wear a robe on a plane because when you go through security, they make you take off your outerwear.:eek: ,

I booked a spa treatment called "girls night out", they told us to wear our robes to the spa. Clothes are worn to cover up private parts, and for warmth. A robe takes care of both of those catagories. And yes, guess what, I have worn a robe on formal night to have pictures taken. Not one person died from it. I have also heard of a cruise critic member taking the sheet off the bed, and fashioning a "formal dress" with it. She did wear it to the dining room, and again, Not one person died. So whoooooo carrres! I would rather see a robe over a thong anyday, but only cuz I'm so jealous!:D

Seeing people in the robes in public areas looks very strange to me, but it sure doesn't spoil my cruise or affect me in any way. I can kinda see wearing them to the spa, I guess. I'd rather wear my own cover-up, but that's me.

What puzzles me is that those robes are just about the heaviest, hugest, most uncomfortable things I've ever put on. Feel like I'm wearing a tent. I've tried wearing mine while getting ready for dinner, etc., and could hardly move! I'd be a walking disaster outside of my cabin. I guess they'd work better for a tall/big person.

Here is why I do it. Early in the morning, I will wake up and want some coffee and a danish or two. Since I sleep in my skivvies and don't want to get fully dressed to just venture out for a few minutes, I will don the robe. The same thing at home, if its warm outside and I need to go to the drive-thru or the Mapco, I will throw on some seats and a t-shirt, maybe without shoes. hope this doesn't offend anyone.:)

Here is why I do it. Early in the morning, I will wake up and want some coffee and a danish or two. Since I sleep in my skivvies and don't want to get fully dressed to just venture out for a few minutes, I will don the robe. The same thing at home, if its warm outside and I need to go to the drive-thru or the Mapco, I will throw on some seats and a t-shirt, maybe without shoes. hope this doesn't offend anyone.:)

CAN WE SEE A BETTER PICTURE ???? :D

We were in the Lido having breakfast on a busy morning and almost died when we saw some lady walking around with her robe on AND a towel wrapped around her head like she just took a shower!:eek:

It's too bad Carnival doesn't supply the tablecloths for the toga party. RC had a class on how to make a toga and supplied the tablecloths for them. The party was a blast and you were judged and got a medal for best toga.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1105388786046023440lidlLl

I generally only wear the bathrobe out of the room if I am going to the spa, pool, hot tub, etc. It does still seem kind of awkward, for example I have early dinner, so I'm heading up to the hot tub around 10PM, and walking down the hall at the same time as people coming back from dinner, all dressed up. But, I really don't let it bother me.

before our cruise this past week, i read about people wearing robes to walk around the ship. i didnt think anything of it. i have sailed several times and had never experienced this. well, for the first time, we had robes in our closet. i counted around 30-40 people walking around decks in BATH robes. i dont know why, but this made me feel uneasy. this ship decks are public areas not a driveway with a news paper at the end. why do people feel compelled to wear a robe to walk around?

I prefer a robe to a speedo...LOL :eek:

Especially before my coffee....also some people also go to the spa and wear the robes back and forth from their cabin.:cool:

Who cares? Folks go cruisin' to relax. I saw a considerable number of people on our cruise that would have looked MUCH better in a robe!:eek: Unfortunately I fit into that category myself, but I keep it covered. I don't care to be seen anymore than my fellow pax care to see me shirtless.

My 2 cents,

JHC

We've noticed the "trend" of wearing bathrobes in public areas of the ship increasing. And we're not just talking around or to/from the pool, or even first thing in the morning grabbing a cup of coffee on the Lido Deck.

On a cruise we took over Labor Day Weekend, there was a group of about 8-10 young men that wore their bathrobes to the muster station for the muster drill. Mind you, this was at about 5:00 p.m. before the ship ever left port.

Perhaps they thought it looked "cool.'

I can totally see my son and his friends doing this - check into the room - find the robes - decide to all wear them for muster drill. If this was the worst "rebel act" that these young men were involved in during the cruise - personally I would think it was very funny.

Archived