Tour in Ephesus

captkangro

We will be on the Prinsendam in October. HAL offers an evening cruise in Kusadasi with dinner or cocktails and chamber music at the library in Ephesus.

Has anyone done this tour with either HAL or another cruise line? Was it a comfortable experience.

Thank you.

Charlie

• 8 years later...

Ephesus is not to be missed! That said, I'd want to know more about what the tour would actually include. It would be a shame if it did not include time to explore the whole site and to visit the terrace houses.

Be aware that the library at the ancient site is a facade only and any concert held there will be some kind of outdoor event.

Is this the place where the WC cruises do a full dinner and cultural experience? If so, that might give OP some idea of setting for dinner and cocktails. Sadly, I have no personal experience of it to say...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ghosts come out at night - your imagination can take flight - this would be an opportunity not to miss. You can listen to the past best at night when not crowded out by the present - which today at Ephesus are hordes and hordes of milling tourists.

Spoiler Alert!!!! Do not read if you do not want details on the whole experience ( you may want a surprise )

We did this tour on Crystal last June and I can affirm that it was one of the highlights of all my travels.

We arrived as the sun was starting to slower lower in the sky.

06c978b49514deb901ac46df6380ca81.jpg

All of Ephesus was empty... Only our group ( perhaps 60 people) and the performers/ organizers were there.

6bb04ddd14abc736ad3ab4f0710efe95.jpg

We were allowed to walk around and see the place without the hoards of tourists. We did not have to face terrible heat.. Just a gentle breeze.

16726476d882deacb947503c0fa610b9.jpg

As the sun went down, one could really imagine ancient times.

Then we sat.. We were served wine and simple appetizers. The performers and the cats ( so many kitties!! I love kitties) came out.

a7f63f4ec4f6ab41b40748dfe661d57f.jpg

The library is magnificent.

e2b6dcb10150bf6a2c52866505d3c0f6.jpg

I've been there during the day and rather warm to hot even in September/October when we were there. We greatly enjoy classical music so that would be wonderful.

But keep in mind that lighting may be poor, footing can be a bit slippery on the time-polished marble and at night would need a bit more caution. If you have no mobility or major eye-sight issues I would think this is a grand opportunity. I hope you get to do it. I know I would love to.

More spoilers! Alert!

d50257462f810bef6b60ca5119a0d8da.jpg

The music was lovely... Very talented performers.

5e894222e7660861b84fc1dddcad0ae1.jpg

The cats loved the music

58a701b7d3d7b3688ee0a5e649e48d6a.jpg

Night started to come and the illumination was gorgeous

c22a554673c3b302ebc441c3c2c4a5d8.jpg

After the concert we strolled through the ruins in this marvelous place, on our own. Just incredible.2d834cdf678024b13410bbbaa9eea4e6.jpg

It was magical... No words can really describe it.https://vimeo.com/160323153

A very short video

Wonderful! Thank you for posting this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are welcome! I love being able to share such an incredible excursion .

Please forgive my exuberance but a few more photos ( I have many lol)6200795eb41dc0098a3990cfc69c634c.jpgpoppies among the ruins

45da1bf6590c23ad9c8925cffa1ce158.jpg

Ancient splendour

4df9db3389207fc0bd2ffd3a449b5ceb.jpg

Detail of the Library's Facade

37d2659d6d11cea6edc831ce95f56d03.jpg

My DH... Here you can see how the tables are set up

Brazilgirl, did you do an overnight there, to be able to do this evening outing? Or did the ship just leave very late?

No, we didn't have an overnight. The excursion left 6:30 pm or so .... If my memory serves me the ship was scheduled to leave at 9:30 pm. Our group arrived 9ish and we set sail. It was a ship sponsored shore excursion so they waited for us . :)