Value of Detoxification Capsules

We are on our first day at sea on the Brilliance and went to a presentation in the gym that dealt with losing weight and increasing your metabolism. The final part of the presentation dealt with the fact that our livers are dirty and need to be cleaned by a treatment of algae or seaweed capsules. They tell us they will perform a body mass test for about $35 and then determine how long we will need the treatments (capsules they sell), but to expect to pay $700 to $1100 for enough treatment to make a difference. Has anyone ever done this and was it worth it? Our group feels that if it was so good at fighting off illness and cancer (they told us cancer cannot form in an Alkaline vs Acidy environment in the body), why did we not hear of it until getting on the cruise ship?

On another note, we got Cybercabin and it is working pretty well, although slow like dial-up. It cost $120 for the 10 days and offers unlimited use from our cabin.

I own a dayspa and I can honestly say that a liver detox is good for the body BUT the capsules that they sell on the ships are overpriced and WILL NOT WORK if you think you can take the capsules and carry on and eat and drink like you normally do. The ships push these "miracle cures" as many people are not knowledgeable about such treatments and they rely on this to sell their overpriced "concoctions"!

A liver detox can be done inexpensively on your own......you do not need any "special" capsules. You can detox the liver by diet alone or you can supplement the detox with some inexpensive herbs that can be purchased at any health food store.

Quackery abounds, even on the high seas. Save your money; this is nonsense. Of course we would have heard of this if it actually worked. Our livers do not need to be "detoxified"; our bodies are perfectly capable of detoxifying themselves (that's what the liver and kidneys do!). This is a myth spread by people trying to make a buck. As a registered dietitian I am regularly asked this question. Use the money you save for a future cruise.

Quackery abounds, even on the high seas. Save your money; this is nonsense. Of course we would have heard of this if it actually worked. Our livers do not need to be "detoxified"; our bodies are perfectly capable of detoxifying themselves (that's what the liver and kidneys do!). This is a myth spread by people trying to make a buck. As a registered dietitian I am regularly asked this question. Use the money you save for a future cruise.

Actually I disagree....the body can become overtaxed by toxins and a liver detox is healthy for the body. However this can be done by diet alone...no special capsules required. I do agree with you however....that the OP should save their money as the "miracle cures" sold on the ship are indeed nonsense.

STAY CLEAR of those overpriced gimmicks! always go through an MD or professional for things like this. YIKES!

Reminds me of what I saw and learned the other day......I went to my local pharmacist the other day to pick up some meds and on the counter was giant bottle of a coconut powder pill, say's it will make you lose weight and increase this and that and has powerful antioxidants. I was looking at it, and the lady next to me say's...."forget about paying $39.00 for that, if you really want coconut in your system, go buy one, or better yet, buy the plain ol' juice!.

She was absolutley right! We are always so quick to pull out the wallet!

We are on our first day at sea on the Brilliance and went to a presentation in the gym that dealt with losing weight and increasing your metabolism. The final part of the presentation dealt with the fact that our livers are dirty and need to be cleaned by a treatment of algae or seaweed capsules. They tell us they will perform a body mass test for about $35 and then determine how long we will need the treatments (capsules they sell), but to expect to pay $700 to $1100 for enough treatment to make a difference. Has anyone ever done this and was it worth it? Our group feels that if it was so good at fighting off illness and cancer (they told us cancer cannot form in an Alkaline vs Acidy environment in the body), why did we not hear of it until getting on the cruise ship?

On another note, we got Cybercabin and it is working pretty well, although slow like dial-up. It cost $120 for the 10 days and offers unlimited use from our cabin.

I think you should buy the $1100 worth of pills and if you send me a mere $500 I will think good thoughts about you (when I remember) to detoxify your aura. :rolleyes:

I must agree here. The job of the liver is to filter or detoxify. One does not need to take special potions to do that. Remember though everything you eat, drink, smoke or put on your skin will eventually go through your liver. If you want to detoxify stop putting garbage in and you won't get garbage out.

I must agree here. The job of the liver is to filter or detoxify. One does not need to take special potions to do that. Remember though everything you eat, drink, smoke or put on your skin will eventually go through your liver. If you want to detoxify stop putting garbage in and you won't get garbage out.

Exactly. That's like saying that you need to "clean" the colon out because there is poop in it. Duh! :rolleyes:

I won the $35 test at one of the free spa lectures. The half hour consisted of a 2 minute test and a 25 minute sales pitch (which was mostly a hard sell of what they had said at the free lecture). Save your money. Why cruisers pay the spa to give them a sales pitch is one of the reasons I don't use the spa.

Save your money, make healthy food choices and use the gym equipment.

I aggree with the others. Waste your money on something else.

I've stopped using the spas on board because of the sales pitches. It really takes away from the experience. I wouldn't waste your money on this. If you really think you need to detox, go see a registered dietician when you get back and chat with them about what's best for you.

Actually I disagree....the body can become overtaxed by toxins and a liver detox is healthy for the body. However this can be done by diet alone...no special capsules required. I do agree with you however....that the OP should save their money as the "miracle cures" sold on the ship are indeed nonsense.

I cleared the liver of a lot of fat on diet and more exercise, it can and probably should be done primarily if not exclusively with diet. Amazon had several books on the topic that don't sell anything special, just what you can get at the grocery store.

Wow! I am glad to see all the sceptics on this forum. I felt for sure that there would be more gullible cruisers. Check out Quackwatch for the scoop on all the schemes. Here are links to their detox pages: http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/flushes.html

Exactly. That's like saying that you need to "clean" the colon out because there is poop in it. Duh! :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! When I saw the 'detox' in the title and thought it was directed at me after being on the Majesty last week. If anyone needs to detox......it would be me! LOL :eek: ;)

I really appreciate your information. We didn't feel it was for us from the beginning, but wanted to see if we were maybe wrong.

The cruise (10 day partial Panama Canal) is going very well. The food has been very good, the service has been very good and the sea is pretty calm. We were entertained, last night, by Yakov Smirnoff. I think that is close to how he spells his name. He was great and got a standing ovation from everyone in the audience. We've been to Branson quite a few times and were never able to see his show because it was not available while we were there. So, we got to see it for "free" Tomorrow we arrive in Aruba. They tell us the shops are required to close by 1 p.m. for a national holiday. We get in at 9 a.m. and our tour is at 10 a.m.. By the time it is over the shops will be closed. Oh,well, we will save some money.

Archived