Century - Emergency airlift

WNcruiser

Just returned from a wonderful getaway on Century. Yesterday at about 1:30 PM a Coast Guard helicopter had to airlift a passenger to Miami (via Key West). We were about 100 miles west of Key West when the Captain notified of us.

This was just an outstanding job by the Captain, crew and passengers who were helping clear deck chairs and set them back up after the passenger was taken away. The Captain constantly kept us informed of what was happening. I will post a mini-review of the trip later.

I know it was a pregnant female that was airlifted so if anyone has an update on her condition, Im sure it would be appreciated. Hundreds of concerned passengers on the decks to see her off.

WOW, that's amazing. I hope she had travel insurance because those air lifts are terribly expensive. And, just another reason why cruise lines have rules about pregnant women cruising. I hope everything is OK.

Actually the Coast Guard does not charge for airlifts. Also, many people's health insurance covers emergencies while away from home so travel insurance is not always a good idea for everybody; for some it is a must, for others it makes little to no sense to purchase it.

I hope that the woman who was airlifted is doing O.K.

I have always heard that insurance covers you while away from home, but rarely does a policy cover you outside of the US. Is that not true?

I've never heard of that is makes "no sense" Can you please clarify?

At under $300 it has always brought me piece of mind regarding late/canceled flights, lost luggage, and most importantly, the potential for illness or medical evacuation.

Hi,:) yes, I would also like a clarification on what makes no sense?

Insurance covers more than just illness or accident to the cruiser.

My health insurance I receive from work would not cover getting

me home if God forbid something happened here and I needed

to leave the cruise early.

Purchasing insurance for 100.00 gives me peace of mind.

Hopefully I will never need it, but just in case.....it is definitely

worth it to me.

Oh, I also hope the cruiser who was evacuated is doing ok!!!!

If you're on Medicare, it doesn't pay one dime outside the US. Many private policies also do not cover you for out of the US incidents. When Mom was airlifted after her broken hip on Millennium, we had to pay $9000 upfront, using our credit card. Got reimbursed later. I don't know of any private insurance that covers air evacs.

Thanks for the information. I hope your Mom is fine now.

Quick question...was she airlifted by the USCG? The poster wrote that they don't charge, but I'm not convinced. It's not that I don't believe them, it's just contrary to what I have heard.

Hi,:) yes, I would also like a clarification on what makes no sense?

Insurance covers more than just illness or accident to the cruiser.

My health insurance I receive from work would not cover getting

me home if God forbid something happened here and I needed

to leave the cruise early.

Purchasing insurance for 100.00 gives me peace of mind.

Hopefully I will never need it, but just in case.....it is definitely

worth it to me.

Oh, I also hope the cruiser who was evacuated is doing ok!!!!

If you're on Medicare, it doesn't pay one dime outside the US. Many private policies also do not cover you for out of the US incidents. When Mom was airlifted after her broken hip on Millennium, we had to pay $9000 upfront, using our credit card. Got reimbursed later. I don't know of any private insurance that covers air evacs.

Hi Lois & Kitty !

I totally agree with your comments. We also had a very bad experience last year with my Mom, and I am thankful that we had the insurance. We always take the insurance, and I strongly recommend it.

While I may be incorrect about the next 2 points, it is my understanding that most policies (especially Medicare as Kitty said) do not cover you outside of the USA, where the Cruise insurance will. I was also under the impression that Coast Guard evacuations were NOT free. If anyone can give us further information, I would truly like to know if this is correct or not.

Getting back to Cruise insurance.... for the few dollars it costs, (relative to the price of your Cruise) it gives you tremendous piece of mind, and I hope you never need it. For us ? We never leave home without it, and we never will again either.

I hope the pregnant passenger who was evacuated is doing well !

My health insurance policy covers me for out of country emergency care. I fly to my cruises a day before, sometimes two days before if the city is a fun city where the ship is leaving from, so my chances of missing the boat are pretty slim. I almost always fly non-stop flights which makes the risk of losing luggage fairly low, and even if it is lost I am pretty sure that the airline owes you reimbursement if it is not recovered. By flying in a day or two early, the chances are pretty good that I would have my luggage by the time of the cruise. The only situation where I realistically the insurance may come in handy is if myself or my travelling companion have to cancel the cruise because of severe illness/accident or family emergency. I do not think the price of the travel insurance justifies purchasing it for this sole purpose. If I was not covered for emergency medical care and/or if I did not have the luxury to fly to the port of debarkation at least 24 hours prior to final boarding I would purchase the insurance, but for people who have 100% emergency coverage while travelling out of the country and who are flying/driving to port early, it may make more sense to do without the travel insurance as much of what it covers would be redundant.

Gonzo, what about emergency evac? Does your private insurance cover that? With my mom, it was only a 1/2 hour flight, and the cost was still $9K. For an acquaintance of mine, she broke her collarbone in Chile and had to be evac'd to Houston for surgery, at a cost of $30,000.

Gonzo, you must have a superb insurance plan for it to cover

everything necessary!:)

We have Blue Cross where I work. It is good but I am sure

it doesn't cover a flight home if my trip is interrupted.

I fly in a day early as well.

Different strokes for different folks! I think it makes a lot

of sense to spend the extra 100 bucks;)

I know it was a pregnant female that was airlifted so if anyone has an update on her condition, Im sure it would be appreciated.

The last I heard, mother and daughter were doing fine; the baby was two moths premature.

A question I have is: What is the the maritime law that governs the nationality of a baby born in international waters? In this case the mother was Canadian.

C 2 C, I was on this cruise also, and had heard that the lady was pregnant, but no other details. Do you know where the baby was born? Was it on the ship? I am so glad to hear that they are doing well. In my opionion the captain and staff did an outstanding job and gave me confidence in Celebrity's ability to take care of serious medical situations. Thanks, Rebecca

The last I heard, mother and daughter were doing fine; the baby was two moths premature.

A question I have is: What is the the maritime law that governs the nationality of a baby born in international waters? In this case the mother was Canadian.

It's my understanding, according to the cc board's original poster that the mother was flown to Miami. If the baby was born in the US, the baby will have dual citizenship...American and Canadian.

Good morning Arno,

I'll bet you're ready to go back to the Caribbean..aren't you? I was thinking about you guys and the Aqua spa cafe. Sure miss those chilled soups! Hope you had a good time and we hope to run into you and your wife again.

Bill & Lori

From insuremytrip.com I just purchased a Medical/Evac policy with 300k limits for about $17 for two people for our upcoming five day cruise on the Century. If I lose my money because I miss the boat, I can live with that, but if I do need to be medivaced home because I get stung by a man of war in Cozumel, I wouldn't want to spend the 30k or more to get my butt home. The cruiseline insurance is a ripoff in my opinion as it covers less and costs more than what you can find on your own.

Gonzo70

I am not flaming you but I think you have been very lucky. I also go early, on a Cunard flight, the aircraft leaving my home airport left over 2 hours late, I missed the London connection, finally got to London, no transport from Cunard "it is Sunday and you are the only passenger", also found out that my luggage was still on the tarmas in Atlanta, and could not reach UK until next days flight.

As for taking non stop flights, I WISH THAT WERE POSSIBLE. I did 4 cruises in 2007 and in no instance was there non stop flights to the port of embarkation or home at the end of the cruise. In march I am flying to New York for QM2 , you may think that would be non stop from FL, but there are NO SUCH FLIGHTS. even flying First Class you still have to change somewhere - one flight even has the change in Detroit, Imagine going from Fort Myers FL to Detroit to get to New York!!!!

You are the exception if you can always get such flights.

I wish that some of the posters would remember the saying "Before you judge another human being, walk a mile in their shoes."

Two months early is a tricky time and I do hope all goes well for Mum and baby. Mum must have been right on the limit of agreed sailing/long distance flying but who can blame her having one final trip before babe arrives

I was also on this Century cruise and thought everyone was wonderful in such a situation. Believe it or not the last time I sailed on the Century the exact same thing happened; on a day-at-sea, a passenger had to be airlifted to the hospital ASAP. Last time though we weren't allowed outside of the ship at all; not even on our verandahs, so I was amazed that this time they allowed us out on deck.

I hope mom and baby are doing well!

Archived