Ship out of Baltimore in 2009

REGINA

During April through mid-June, Grandeur of the Seas will offer alternating five-night Bermuda and nine-night Eastern Caribbean round-trip itineraries from Norfolk. The five-night itinerary also features an overnight call at Kings Wharf, and the nine-night sailing makes a call at Labadee, Haiti, Royal Caribbean’s private beach destination. In June, Grandeur repositions to Baltimore, also to offer similar and alternating itineraries through November.

Canada and New England cruises from June through October 2009:

Jewel of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas will make maiden calls at Rockland, ME, as the largest cruise ships to call at the port. In addition to the wide variety of restaurants, galleries and museums, Rockland will turn the city’s main street into a pedestrian mall to welcome guests.

From Boston, Jewel of the Seas will take guests on five- and seven-night round-trip itineraries, while Grandeur of the Seas will offer eight- and nine-night round-trip sailings from the port of Baltimore.

Jewel and Grandeur will call at Canadian ports of St. John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, as well as the Maine ports of Portland, Bar Harbor and Rockland.

With airline travel being such a circu$, it is nice to have a cruise port nearby, such as Baltimore. We've sailed on Grandeur from Baltimore and it was very convenient. And, that brings us to Philly . . .

And, Merion Mom, sorry that RCCL has nothing outta Philly this year. On Empress last Fall, from Philly, at the M&M the cruise director stated that RCCL and Philly could not get together on terms for the pier charges and pier conditions for 2008. Hopefully, that can change in the future.

Rick and Deirdra

:( :(

Steve, how do you know this? Do you know the navigatable height for a Radiance or X M class? The bridges are 185'.

Did you know that NCL's Pride of Hawaii (90,000 + tons) and Grand Princess (109,000 tons) have been under the bridges?

Vision class = 11 stories (Beam 106 feet)

Sovereign Class = 12 stories (Beam 106 feet)

Radiance Class = 13 stories (Beam 126 feet)

Voyager Class = 15 stories (Beam 168 feet) might not fit with high tide or high waves

Freedom Class = 15 Stories (Beam 184 feet) won't fit with high tide or high water level

Key bridge = 185 ft (normal water level)

chesapeake bay bridge = 186 ft (normal water level)

Anyone know if the beam includes all the objects higher than the top deck? Such as the antennas.

Another factor is taking the ship over the tunnel which I couldn't find the water depth nor could I find how many feet the bottom of the ship is below the water.

Steve, Hate to say this but you have no idea what you are talking about. The beam is the width of the ship, and even the numbers you have quoted there are misleading as they are the beam from the ends of the bridge wings.

Study these specs on Grand Princess (height 201' and 18 decks), which sailed under Key Bridge with about 10' clearance (witnessed with my own eyes) and then again explain how you know that Radiance will not fit.

http://www.sealetter.com/Jul-98/newgp.html

And don't worry about the tunnel factor. The tunnels are buried at least 100' under the water surface. The drafts of the ships we are talking about are in the mid 20's. QE2 made it in and I think her draft is over 30'.

180’ over and 100' below are the numbers that were used by engineers when considering building a tunnel under verses a bridge over fort Mc Henry, as it the two quotes below from the website http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Fort_McHenry_Tunnel.html

On I-95, there was to have been an 8-lane double-decked high-level bridge just north of Fort McHenry and passing over Baltimore Harbor, with one of its main piers on the fort property, and the bridge's vertical navigational clearance over the shipping channel would have been about 180 feet, so that oceangoing ships could pass underneath.

One of the eastbound tubes under construction, March 1984, near the mid-point under the harbor, about 100 feet below the surface of the water.

The channels in that area are roughly 60’ at the turning basin at the head of the Ft. Mc Henry Channel. Many cargo ships or deep draft vessels are unable to anchor within the port of Baltimore and use anchorage area 25 miles south of Baltimore at the Annapolis Anchorage Grounds when the channel is unavailable.

180’ over and 100' below are the numbers that were used by engineers when considering building a tunnel under verses a bridge over fort Mc Henry, as it the two quotes below from the website http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Fort_McHenry_Tunnel.html

The channels in that area are roughly 60’ at the turning basin at the head of the Ft. Mc Henry Channel. Many cargo ships or deep draft vessels are unable to anchor within the port of Baltimore and use anchorage area 25 miles south of Baltimore at the Annapolis Anchorage Grounds when the channel is unavailable.

That's a fascinating page about the construction of the tunnel. They should do one of those Discovery Channel shows about it!

It also said in there that the channel crossing the actual tunnel is 42' deep. It looks like that is the channel that goes up into the Inner Harbor area.

Theron

Radiance class? - if there's any problem just give it a 2 week drydock and cut about 10 feet of the stack off - no problem.

Actually, I'm one of the minority that prefers Grandeur to Radiance class - my reasons: OK, not as many balconies, but I usualy don't book one. Standard staterooms, just a bit smaller, but not enough to be a bother. Dining - similar rooms, but I find the Grandeur more elegant. Windjammer - better traffic flow, love those little round areas where you get the desserts. Lounge - big plus to the Grandeur, love the South Seas. Never should have chopped up the Colony Club, now its too small for the ship. Solarium, not as dramatic as on Radiance, but love those bubbles! OK, Radiance class has a couple of pool tables - but give me Grandeur in Baltimore anytime! (and New Orleans, too, someday - hopefully).

OK, we may be kinda selfish here. We are Diamond and we would like to have a CL on Grandeur. At one time, as we were told by RCCL staff, there was a plan. Put the CL where the C&A LA is. Move the C&A LA to a desk elsewhere. Looks like that plan (and the stretching) has been cancelled.

However, with the price and complications of flying now, Grandeur, again from Baltimore, is looking better every day.

Rick and Deirdra

OK, we may be kinda selfish here. We are Diamond and we would like to have a CL on Grandeur. At one time, as we were told by RCCL staff, there was a plan. Put the CL where the C&A LA is. Move the C&A LA to a desk elsewhere. Looks like that plan (and the stretching) has been cancelled.

However, with the price and complications of flying now, Grandeur, again from Baltimore, is looking better every day.

Rick and Deirdra

I agree. If they put a CL on Grandeur, I'd be on her in a heartbeat. (it's actually a less annoying drive to Baltimore than to Bayonne. There's just *something* about the Joisey Turnpike............ :rolleyes: )

We're sailing on Grandeur in 2009 to Canada/New England from Baltimore. We can't wait!

I believe I heard she's going into dry dock April 14th? What a good opportunity to add the concierge lounge. Right?:p

Beth

Royal has definitely had 7 day cruises to Bermuda, I've been on several. They were not out of Baltimore but out of New York. I stopped going to Bermuda when RCI changed to 5 day cruises to Bermuda, this is just too short!

Royal has definitely had 7 day cruises to Bermuda, I've been on several. They were not out of Baltimore but out of New York. I stopped going to Bermuda when RCI changed to 5 day cruises to Bermuda, this is just too short!

Empress did them all last summer out of Philadelphia.

I just came off the Explorer on Friday When we going under the bridge the Captain said we had about 5ft of clearence Down at pursers desk on the tv it had all the facts about the Explorer it said 220ft from water line

We are cruising out of Baltimore for the first time on the Grandeur on August 27, 2009. Our previous trips have been out of Miami and San Juan. After our last American Airlines experience getting to and back from San Juan, driving 20 miles to the Port of Baltimore will be great!

This is our first time on the Grandeur. It is also our first cruise with the kids (who will be 9 & 7 ). Come and join us, and join us in the Roll Call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=745410

Allen

Here are the Itineraries for Grandeur (2009)

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2009 BERMUDA/CARIBBEAN/NEW ENGLAND/CANADA

GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS

®

All itineraries are current at the time of printing and subject to change without notice. Certain restrictions apply. ©2008 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

7-Night Repositioning

April 18, 2009

Tampa, Florida • Cozumel, Mexico

Ocho Rios, Jamaica • Samana, Dominican Republic

San Juan, Puerto Rico

7-Night Repositioning

April 25, 2009

San Juan, Puerto Rico • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Philipsburg, St. Maarten • Tortola, British Virgin Isl

Kings Wharf, Bermuda • Norfolk, Virginia

5-Night Bermuda

May 2, 16, 30; June 13, 2009

Norfolk, Virginia • Kings Wharf, Bermuda (overnight)

Norfolk, Virginia

9-Night Eastern Caribbean

May 7, 21; June 4, 2009

Norfolk, Virginia • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas • Samana, Dominican Republic

Labadee,® Haiti • Norfolk, Virginia

8-Night New England & Canada

June 19, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland • Rockland, Maine

Saint John, New Brunswick • Halifax, Nova Scotia

Bar Harbor, Maine • Boston, Massachusetts • Baltimore, Maryland

5-Night Bermuda

June 27; July 11, 25; August 8, 22; September 5, 19;

October 17, 31; November 14, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland • Kings Wharf, Bermuda (overnight)

Baltimore, Maryland

9-Night Eastern Caribbean

July 2, 16, 30; August 27; October 22; November 5, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland • San Juan, Puerto Rico

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas • Samana, Dominican Republic

Labadee,® Haiti • Baltimore, Maryland

9-Night New England & Canada

August 13; September 10, 24, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland • Portland, Maine

Bar Harbor, Maine • Saint John, New Brunswick

Halifax, Nova Scotia • Boston, Massachusetts

Baltimore, Maryland

14-Night Repositioning

November 19. 2009

Baltimore, Maryland • Kings Wharf, Bermuda (overnight)

Tortola, British Virgin Isl • Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Willemstad, Curacao • Oranjestad, Aruba

George Town, Grand Cayman • Cozumel, Mexico

Tampa, Florida

I forgot to post the Press Release from RCI, about the Northeast Area fleet assignments for 2009. Here it is. . .

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cor_pressrelease_hdr.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Royal Caribbean International Announces Summer And Fall 2009

Cruises, Sailing From The Northeast

Cruise Line Continues Year-Round Service in New York Metro Area

MIAMI, March 27, 2008 - Royal Caribbean International announced the line's summer and fall 2009 itineraries sailing from the Northeast, offering more convenient homeports from which to embark on a memorable cruise. Vacationers can choose from one of 17 distinct and exhilarating itineraries to Canada and New England, Bermuda, and the Caribbean on 66 Royal Caribbean sailings from the New York, Boston, Baltimore, and Norfolk metropolitan areas. Bookings for these summer and fall 2009 cruises are open.

"Royal Caribbean continues to offer close and convenient homeports for vacationers in the Northeast United States," said Alice Norsworthy, senior vice president, Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. "Explorer of the Seas will begin its third consecutive year of year-round service from the New York metropolitan area, and Grandeur will be the only ship to offer Bermuda and Caribbean getaways for Mid-Atlantic vacationers from Norfolk's new cruise port, Half Moone Center. With three ships sailing from four Northeast ports, including Boston and Baltimore, vacationers have a wide array of options for an invigorating Royal Caribbean cruise."

Guests on Royal Caribbean's cruises from the Northeast will sail aboard one of three of the world's most innovative ships, Explorer of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas. As one of the largest cruise ships in the world, Voyager-class Explorer offers guests still-uncommon, industry-revolutionizingamenities, such as an onboard ice-skating rink, full-size basketball court, inline skating track, iconic rock-climbing wall, and the Royal Promenade, a boulevard of shops, restaurants, bars and lounges that runs nearly the length of the ship.

Jewel of the Seas' highlights include a 10-story, glass-constructed Centrum, glass elevators facing the sea, and the highest percentage of outside cabins in the Royal Caribbean fleet, offering spectacular vistas of the autumn foliage. Grandeur of the Seas' design offers a more intimate guest experience with all the amenities that come with a larger ship.

Onboard every Royal Caribbean ship, guests enjoy complimentary 24-hour room service, award-winning Broadway-style musical revues from Royal Caribbean Productions, top-rated Adventure Ocean kids programming with teen-only spaces fleetwide, and Royal Caribbean's Gold Service Standard of friendly and engaging service from staff and crew.

Archived