Weak nails, need help

Tatianablue

I wanted to get artificial nails for my cruise, but my own nails are very thin, so it is painful to wear them, and they make a mess of my nails after having them removed.

Does anyone have hints or ideas that could help my nails grow stronger. They crack, chip and break off very easily.

I have had my thyroid tested, so I don't think that could be causing this.

I've had acrylic overlays on my nails for at least 7 years. My nails are the same -- very weak and thin -- I'd never have "nice" nails without my acrylics!! I haven't found them to be painful at all, unless one of them should break off!:eek: However, regular "fills" prevents that (I go every three weeks, since my nails don't grow very fast). I love them!

I had all the same problems with my nails. I found something that has worked really great, kept my nails strong, and they have grown, grown grown!!

It's by Sally Hansen - it's called "Triple Strong" Advanced Gel Nail Fortifier. It comes in a little square dark green bottle. One of the ingredients is epoxy which I think really makes a difference. You put on two coats and then add a third coat a few days later. Gives you a beautiful clear shine. After 7 days you remove it and start again. You can also use it as one coat under and over nail polish. I started with the regimen without polish first, until my nails started looking better.

I highly recommend this. Let me know if it works for any of you.

Cindy

I also have found a product that has ground-up quartz in it, you apply it under nail polish or alone, works great for about $3.50 at Wal-Mart the name is Nail Aid, brush on wrap. It has a large white cross on the package. Also I have found that pre-natal vitamins are great at any time in life.

I second the Sally Hansen products. I wore acrlyic nails for years and once I stopped ny nails were in bad shape.

They key is to give yourself a manicure at least once a week, use a clear base coat with moisturizer( I buy mine at Sallys) and keep a clear Sally Hansen polish on your nails all the time. Every couple of days re-apply a clear polish and keep your nails short until you build up strength in your nails. Also apply a heavy hand cream to your nails every night.( I use "lay it on Thick" from I forget the name of the store that is in all the malls! It is a Body something... just escapes me.) Whenever you put your hands in water, use gloves.

If you are faithful in this regiment your nails will improve in strength and then you can grow them longer. I keep my clear poilsh by my computer and apply a coat and let it dry when I am reading these threads! It only takes a few seconds.

Good Luck!

My sister has very weak nails. Supposedly her body doesn't make one layer of the nail, so they are like babies' nails.

She gets gel nails put on at a salon. She's been really happy with them --- I think they are like acrylics, but they are a different material. You might want to do some checking around at different salons, if you're willing to spend some $$$ on the process on a regular basis.

My nails are also weak, but nothing like hers. I use a product from Canada called "Witchcraft". They have a nail hardener that is excellent. It doesn't peel, and seems to build your nails over time. I've only ever seen it at Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada, but you might want to check online. There are several different products in their line --- all are about $5 a bottle.

I also have very thin, weak nails. I keep them as short as possible. I would love to have long nails but acrylic nails really mess up my natural nail.

Not only are my nails very thin, a few actually grow crooked instead of straight. If I keep them short and filed they look so much nicer.

raytown lady has it right!! Nail Envy by Opi is wonderful!! It's one of those that soaks down into your nailbed. That means you can't wear a color over it. So if you just want clear - it's perfect. (comes in matte also) My nails are so hard I have to cut them. I have never tried that Sally Hansen brand, but I know this one does work.:)

I take 2 gelatin capsules a day. Druggist suggested it & he appears to be right! Also use almond oil for the cuticles daily, & Salley Hanson or Witchcraft as a coat overtop to strengthen & protect.

Whenever I am in too much water or cleaners or gardening they still soften up so I use gloves when I can.

I wore artificial nails for 10 years. Decided to stop & had very thin, weak, chipping, peeling nails.

I tried Opi, I found it good but it sort of meshed with my nails & then it would peel some of the top layer of my nails off with the product.

The capsules of gelatin are only about $6.00 for 100.

el tigre

Nailtiques. Comes in different formulas. Formula #2 works wonderful for soft, peeling, thin nails. Apply every day, every third day remove with non acetone remover and, re apply again. Your nails will be strong when you get to the end of the bottle, then switch to formula #1 to maintain them. The only way I have been able to grow my nails without them splitting, & peeling, my mom then asked her dermatologist about her nails and was also told to use this product. Found in hair or nail salons. Cost $5 a bottle. Best investment. Good luck, worth the try if you are faithful to it.

OPI's Nail Envy. After the two week routine you'll notice a difference. The instructions actually say you can wear polish over it.

Also, if your nails are that bad, you may want to see a dermatologist.

I have been using Nail Tek for several months now, with amazing results. Use Nail Tek Foundation II first, followed by two coats of your favorite polish, then top with Nail Tek Intensive Therapy II (clear coat). Each day add a coat of Intensive Therapy II. After a week, start over. My nails are stronger than they have ever been, no splitting or peeling. Good luck!!!

I've tried other Sally Hansen products, but not the one recommended here, so I'm going to give that a try. Nothing else has worked. My nails used to grow wonderfully long, and now they're a wreck.

Same here. I never had nail problems like I do now. I'm going to try Sally hansen again. I have tried nail tek and OPI and neither did any good.

I hate to start up with acrylics again.

My problem is I am always in water and any 'polish / treatment' I put on it peels off very quickly.

I also have found a product that has ground-up quartz in it, you apply it under nail polish or alone, works great for about $3.50 at Wal-Mart the name is Nail Aid, brush on wrap. It has a large white cross on the package.

I've just added this to my list of things to buy whilst in the USA, along with Downey Wrinkle Release and other wonderful items which are not available in the UK.

The moment I get dropped off at the hotel after landing, I'll be heading for a Wal-Mart or Walgreens to stock up :D

One of my nails has started to split length ways too. It's really annoying. I take multi vitamins but they haven't helped.

My sister has very weak nails. Supposedly her body doesn't make one layer of the nail, so they are like babies' nails.

She gets gel nails put on at a salon. She's been really happy with them --- I think they are like acrylics, but they are a different material. You might want to do some checking around at different salons, if you're willing to spend some $$$ on the process on a regular basis.

My nails are also weak, but nothing like hers. I use a product from Canada called "Witchcraft". They have a nail hardener that is excellent. It doesn't peel, and seems to build your nails over time. I've only ever seen it at Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada, but you might want to check online. There are several different products in their line --- all are about $5 a bottle.

I work at a salon that does gel nails. It's just a different substance used instead of acrylic, but it is hyp-allergenic, so if someone has a problem with the acrylic, the gels usually work very well. Still needs fills every couple of weeks.The down-side to these is that when you remove them, you can't just "soak" them off. You have to have them filed off, and that causes alot more damage to your natural nails.

Archived