Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Yes the regular HOHO does run around the perimeter of the park and makes 4 or 5 stops in the park and is a completely different tour than the Stanley Park tour that operates during the summer and makes a dozen or so stops within the park.

Thanks for responding. Just trying to figure out if a car would be best. I know it is not usually recommended for Vancouver. When we stayed in Vancouver in 2008 we were at a Bed and Breakfast which offered free off-street parking. My daughter is coming into Vancouver on her honeymoon and they don't know yet where they will stay. She asked me to help gather up some info for them, as she is finishing up her graduate degree and free time is slim. I am glad to help as she is headed to AK for a honeymoon cruise and AK is my favorite place on earth, so far. :)

Thanks for responding. Just trying to figure out if a car would be best. I know it is not usually recommended for Vancouver.

No, we almost never recommend renting a car in Vancouver, it is no long a car friendly town and gets worse by the month. Parking at downtown hotels is approaching $25/night and you pay for parking a most attractions...if available. If a person has a specific purpose like going to Whistler or even Vancouver Is. then by all means but there are much better ways of seeing Vancouver be it tours, HOHOs or if going to a specific destination then even transit.

What are the currently recommended, clean but low budget hotels in Vancouver, that would be convenient to the Hop On Hop Off Trolley and not too far from Canada Place Cruise Terminal?

Vancouver's downtown is very compact with most hotels being located less than 10 blocks of Canada Place and all would be within a few blocks of the Vancouver Trolley. I am not sure that there is a "budget" hotel in the downtown area but there is the Days Inn on W. Pender, Holiday Inn on Howe St. and Sandman Inn on W. Georgia. However the issue with these is that their rack rate is higher than you can get a 3*+ hotel on Hotwire or bidding on Priceline. If you are diligent you should be able to get something like the Hyatt, Sheraton at the Wall Centre or Sutton Place for under $150 which is going to be less than what you will pay at one of the so called budget hotels. One last thought would be the downtown YWCA while a bit out of the mix, it is inexpensive and clean.

Vancouver's downtown is very compact with most hotels being located less than 10 blocks of Canada Place and all would be within a few blocks of the Vancouver Trolley. I am not sure that there is a "budget" hotel in the downtown area but there is the Days Inn on W. Pender, Holiday Inn on Howe St. and Sandman Inn on W. Georgia. However the issue with these is that their rack rate is higher than you can get a 3*+ hotel on Hotwire or bidding on Priceline. If you are diligent you should be able to get something like the Hyatt, Sheraton at the Wall Centre or Sutton Place for under $150 which is going to be less than what you will pay at one of the so called budget hotels. One last thought would be the downtown YWCA while a bit out of the mix, it is inexpensive and clean.

Thanks again. They will definitely bid on Priceline, but they would like to have a cancellable reservation in case Priceline doesn't work out. When I start getting to the point on Priceline where my bidding price has to go too high, and I am concerned about where I may end up, I will just find a place I will be sure I will like. Thanks again for the tips. I will be sure to pass them on.

Hi all. I'm hoping that someone can give me some info. I will be ending a cruise in Vancouver and am looking for transportation back to Seattle, where the cruise will originate. I want to get round trip tickets to Seattle since it is so much more economical. Can anyone recommend a shuttle bus service or something along those lines? Does anyone know how long a trip back to Seattle? Any info would really be appreciated.

Whether you go by bus or train it is around a four hour trip between the two cities - you will have to stop at the border and go through customs and immigration both ways - Quick Shuttle is one of the bus services that is often used -

http://www.quickcoach.com/index.htm -

In the summer they have service between Sea-Tac and Canada Place or you can take there regular runs as well.

Amtrak would be another option - there is a morning and evening train in both directions daily.

Hope this helps - I have used Quick shuttle in the past and will use the Amtrak Cascades train in a couple of weeks so will be able to tell about that service at a later date.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi all. I'm hoping that someone can give me some info. I will be ending a cruise in Vancouver and am looking for transportation back to Seattle, where the cruise will originate. I want to get round trip tickets to Seattle since it is so much more economical. Can anyone recommend a shuttle bus service or something along those lines? Does anyone know how long a trip back to Seattle? Any info would really be appreciated.

We spent the day at Granville Island and took The Cascades Amtrak down to Seattle. We enjoyed the train and views along the way. The only downside was that we did not get into Seattle King Station until 10:45pm.

Edited by pizzalady1

It's about 4 hours into Seattle, 4½ to SEA airport.

Quick Coach offer buses from the cruise terminal direct to SEA, this is the easiest

Amtrak offer two trains a day from Vancouver to Seattle (one actually goes all the way to Portland, and the stop at Tukwila is the closest stop to SEA airport)

Amtrak offer about five buses/day

Bolt Bus are a newcomer to the route,and offer a couple of buses a day, but it's to downtown. Although the price can't be beat

Other than that, you could rent a car, or fly QK/Air Canada Express or QX/Alaska Air (opr by Horizon) to SEA airport.

Also keep checking flight prices. My daughter just got tickets to Vancouver round trip, cheaper than to Seattle. This is not the norm out of DTW, but she just lucked out.

Hello. I'm on Princess in August going to Alaska. I'm getting in the night before and staying at the Westin Bayshore. I've checked around and there aren't any shuttles that go from the airport to the hotel so it looks like a cab. A couple of questions:

1. What is the average fare from the airport to the hotel?

2. Will the cabs take credit cards?

3. What is the average fare from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal?

I know there's public transportation but I'm going to have a bit of luggage and don't want to schlep around in a strange city.

Thank you.

Our current plans are to arrive YVR around midnight and stay somewhere downtown. Is taking the Skytrain and then walking a few blocks to a hotel on a Friday night (with luggage) a safe thing to do? Or should we just take a cab and not have to think about all of this?

Also, we sail on HAL on Sunday from Canada Place (I think) and wonder how many blocks is considered walkable/managable with luggage from a hotel to the pier. We are walkers and are usually content to take public transportation and walk. Is downtown a walker/luggage handling friendly area?

Thanks so much for any input.

Hello. I'm on Princess in August going to Alaska. I'm getting in the night before and staying at the Westin Bayshore. I've checked around and there aren't any shuttles that go from the airport to the hotel so it looks like a cab. A couple of questions:

1. What is the average fare from the airport to the hotel?

2. Will the cabs take credit cards?

3. What is the average fare from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal?

I know there's public transportation but I'm going to have a bit of luggage and don't want to schlep around in a strange city.

Thank you.

I would suggest you look at their website. They do not tell you much about travelling around tho except for the following.

"We are located 9.2 miles or 14.8 km from Vancouver International Airport. (Taxi: $30-40)"

I believe Canada Place is not too far - about two miles. Also, I cannot remember if they have a shuttle. That is why I am suggesting you call them.

We went to a nearby restaurant within walking distance. (5 min?) It was great. If I remember correctly it is called Carderos.

The hotel is very nice. Staff is excellent.

By the way, the taxis are very small. But we had no problem with 3 good sized pieces of luggage.

I am sure the regulars will stop by soon to answer the questions here soon:):)

vermonter 16 - I would book now. Vancouver is a tourist's delight.:)

beachdreaming - I will let our regulars handle your questions. :D

Can you recommend any good place for traditional fish and chips?

Also - I have seen a couple of places for Poutine, Mean Poutine and Fritz European Fry House? Any comments between the two? Anything better? I love Poutine as I am originally from northern Vermont and I also make it myself when I can get a hold of some fresh curds.

Also - would you recommend the Capilano Bridge over the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge? Or vice versa? We would be taking public transport and I really want to do one of them. We are going in mid May.

As for your question about the bridges - The Lynn Canyon is free - just walk across it and you could do a short loop hike and visit the ecology center if it is opened - as for the Capilano - it is about $30.00 and is a full experience - west coast native theme - coastal forest walk - expensive gift shop - it is one of Vancouver's top tourist attractions - it also provides a free shuttle from downtown and back - were you planning on doing Grouse Mt as well - if so Capilano is on the way.

hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Can you recommend any good place for traditional fish and chips?

Also - I have seen a couple of places for Poutine, Mean Poutine and Fritz European Fry House? Any comments between the two? Anything better? I love Poutine as I am originally from northern Vermont and I also make it myself when I can get a hold of some fresh curds.

Also - would you recommend the Capilano Bridge over the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge? Or vice versa? We would be taking public transport and I really want to do one of them. We are going in mid May.

There's a great food cart on W.Hastings @ Burrard called FRESH| LOCAL|WILD that do a great 'Seafood Poutine'. Worth checking out

http://www.freshlocalwild.com/

Hi,

We have a two days pre-cruise trip to Vancouver, we are just debating whether to rent a car or not.

We will be arriving @ YVR on Wednesday noon time, our cruise is for Friday.

This is our 2nd time to Vancouver, but we had a rental car last time.

We are planning to visit Victoria this time around, which means we do not need a car for at least one day? (please correct if I'm wrong)

Our plan is to spend a day in Victoria. Besides that we would like to visit granville island, stanley park, downtown, possibly dinner @ aberdeen centre.

So we are debating whether we should opt out for car rental and take the public transit? We are from Toronto, where the transit system is not that friendly, just wondering how's the transit system in Vancouver like?

Thanks in advanced

Looka like all of 'us locals' weren't checking the boards for a few days when you asked your Q. Thanks for stepping up Northender! A couple of additions follow:

(re: Westin Bayshore)...

"We are located 9.2 miles or 14.8 km from Vancouver International Airport. (Taxi: $30-40)"

I believe Canada Place is not too far - about two miles. Also, I cannot remember if they have a shuttle. That is why I am suggesting you call them.

We went to a nearby restaurant within walking distance. (5 min?) It was great. If I remember correctly it is called Carderos.

The hotel is very nice. Staff is excellent.

By the way, the taxis are very small. But we had no problem with 3 good sized pieces of luggage.

Taxi fare from Airport to Downtown is generally around $35 - the Westin is about as far as you can get and still be downtown, but downtown is very compact, so odds are good the fare will stay under $40. Taxis do take credit cards.

Taking a cab to Canada Place should be around $10 - it's actually less than 1 mile from the hotel. Hotels with shuttles are few & far between here and unless the hotel website clearly specifies they have one, expect to make your own arrangements - we have a very small, very walkable downtown though, it's pretty hard to pay more than $12 for a cab unless you leave the downtown area completely...

Re: taxi size, the majority are Prius (anyone know the correct plural!?) so for 3 or less adults with a couple of suitcases each you'll be fine; if there are 4+ of you then a minivan cab will be more comfortable - ask at the taxi rank if there isn't one already waiting.

Northender - you did remember the name of the restaurant correctly as Cardero's and it should be a 5 min walk or less from the Westin. There's also Lift, basically the same distance in the opposite direction along the waterside for a similar view of our North Shore mountains and IMO a more contemporary menu and better wine list.

If you want more restaurant info, please post again (and the more detail of price/style of food/whether you need good views or just good food etc. the better the advice you'll get!)

Hi,

We have a two days pre-cruise trip to Vancouver, we are just debating whether to rent a car or not.

We will be arriving @ YVR on Wednesday noon time, our cruise is for Friday.

This is our 2nd time to Vancouver, but we had a rental car last time.

We are planning to visit Victoria this time around, which means we do not need a car for at least one day? (please correct if I'm wrong)

Our plan is to spend a day in Victoria. Besides that we would like to visit granville island, stanley park, downtown, possibly dinner @ aberdeen centre.

So we are debating whether we should opt out for car rental and take the public transit? We are from Toronto, where the transit system is not that friendly, just wondering how's the transit system in Vancouver like?

Thanks in advanced

Generally nobody local will recommend hiring a car except to visit out-of-town places - but since you've done it before, I'm sure you're aware of our expensive parking, lack of highways etc. If you want to hire the car for the day you go to Victoria it would certainly make your trip more convenient - although much more expensive, since taking your car on the ferry is $50 on top of your $15 per person 'on foot' fee.

Scottbee can give you very thorough instructions on using public transit to get to Victoria via the ferry if you want to weigh up extra time vs. extra money.

Google does have up-to-date and accurate transit info for Vancouver, so have a look at the transit options between where you're staying and where you want to go - but with our hefty parking fees odds are good that a combo of transit and occasional taxis will work out just as convenient and cheaper than hiring a car to do things in town.

For the specific sights mentioned above, I'd definitely go transit over car hire. Assuming you're here when it's running, the Stanley Park shuttle is the easiest way to see most of the park interior conveniently, and you might want to throw a few dollars to the Aquabus or False Creek Ferries to have a more pleasant trip over to Granville Island than by bus. Aberdeen Centre does have (max 4 hours) free parking, but there's also a Skytrain station right next to it - and that way you can enjoy an adult beverage or three with dinner:D

Generally nobody local will recommend hiring a car except to visit out-of-town places - but since you've done it before, I'm sure you're aware of our expensive parking, lack of highways etc. If you want to hire the car for the day you go to Victoria it would certainly make your trip more convenient - although much more expensive, since taking your car on the ferry is $50 on top of your $15 per person 'on foot' fee.

Scottbee can give you very thorough instructions on using public transit to get to Victoria via the ferry if you want to weigh up extra time vs. extra money.

Google does have up-to-date and accurate transit info for Vancouver, so have a look at the transit options between where you're staying and where you want to go - but with our hefty parking fees odds are good that a combo of transit and occasional taxis will work out just as convenient and cheaper than hiring a car to do things in town.

For the specific sights mentioned above, I'd definitely go transit over car hire. Assuming you're here when it's running, the Stanley Park shuttle is the easiest way to see most of the park interior conveniently, and you might want to throw a few dollars to the Aquabus or False Creek Ferries to have a more pleasant trip over to Granville Island than by bus. Aberdeen Centre does have (max 4 hours) free parking, but there's also a Skytrain station right next to it - and that way you can enjoy an adult beverage or three with dinner:D

Not sure it's an extra time vs extra money argument. Not only is taking the bus and walking on the ferry cheaper, it's faster too. I'll take that challenge pretty much any weekday, especially during the summer where it's not unusual to have a 1-2 sailing wait for cars.

If you intend to spend time in Victoria, why not fly there to start with. Most of the time a flight to YYJ/Victoria isn't much more than a flight to YVR/Vancouver.

For public transportation [downtown] Victoria to [downtown] Vancouver; your choices are the PCL Bus (which doesn't always go all the way downtown), or taking the city bus on each end (bus+skytrain on the Vancouver side), which will get you to a couple of blocks from Canada Place.

Let me know if you need the details, but to put it in perspective, it's under $10 ea way if you do it by bus (+ferry of $15), vs $37 for the coach, or $50 ea way to take a car on the BC Ferry.

Both of these downtown locations appear close to Skytrain and Canada Place.

Final price for 2 nights ends up that Days Inn is a total of $40 more. I think Days Inn is closer to Skytrain and Canada place. Comfort Inn has a continental breakfast and slighlty further from Skytrain and Canada Place.

Not sure if I'm correct on the distances but wonder which is a better place and location to stay for 2 nights pre cruise.

Thanks for any input.

Both of these downtown locations appear close to Skytrain and Canada Place.

Final price for 2 nights ends up that Days Inn is a total of $40 more. I think Days Inn is closer to Skytrain and Canada place. Comfort Inn has a continental breakfast and slighlty further from Skytrain and Canada Place.

Not sure if I'm correct on the distances but wonder which is a better place and location to stay for 2 nights pre cruise.

Thanks for any input.

I've never stayed in either, but I think the location of the Days Inn is worth $20 a night more (NB: I assume you do mean the Days Inn Downtown on Pender, not the 'Vancouver Metro' one on Kingsway).

Also, I think you asked previously about arriving late, using Skytrain & on foot, and whether it was safe in downtown to do so? You're far enough away from the pubs & clubs of Granville or Gastown that you should be quite comfortable walking to the Days Inn late at night - and if for whatever reason you aren't comfortable, there should be taxis outside the Skytrain station. Shouldn't be more than $5 to get you the couple of blocks to the hotel.

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency, using Sky Train to travel from YVR to downtown. There will be 2 of us, each with 1 large and 1 carry on bag. Do you feel it would be an ok walk from the Waterfront Station to the Hyatt or should we transfer to one of the other lines and get off at the Burrard Station, which is right across the street from the Hyatt? I'd prefer to not transfer, but really need a local's point of view.