not supposed to bring nuts, seeds or meat across most borders, but

would anyone notice a sandwich or two?

I suggested to my friend that we carry sandwiches off in Ziploc bags to

avoid having to worry about stopping somewhere to eat on a very short

time in port.

She's concerned about being searched and hauled off to jail. I know you're

It is illegal in most ports to do so. In addition to risking fines/arrest, you are also possibly introducing pests into a foreign country that could damage crops and/or cause illness. You can only bring off prepackaged foods (i.e. sealed packets of crackers, granola bars, cereal etc.).

It's not worth it--just grab a quick bite at a local food place, or return to the ship for lunch! Or eat a huge breakfast and have a snack when you get back to the ship!

I agree, it's not worth the trouble, most ports have places to go and eat, safely. Just ask you wait staff in the dining room. They have never steered me wrong..

If you only have a very short time in port....eat a big breakfast and when you get back, eat again.

Your friend is right, and it is posted on most ships that you are not to take food off the ship. It will also be posted in the Compass.

And if you are starving....enjoy some native food. Its good!

We've done this on multiple cruises without once being hassled. We've brought sandwiches from the Royal Promenade and like a cookie or 2. I've never seen them search bags leaving the ship. IMO it's probably safer to take food from the ship because our server on Freedom told us one of the crew went off in Mexico and ate outside and contracted hepatitis so that's a concern about local fare....unless you have Twinrix shots.

I can relate to needing something in your stomach about mid-day & those long days touring do not allow returning to the ship. And, sometimes the local food available at the time one is hungry is not what one wants or feels safe eating.

If you don't want to take a chance of fines/legal problems, take some snacks with you from home. For the 1 or few days you need snacks, it won't take that much room in your luggage. Prepackaged foods - goldfish or peanut butter crackers, snack/energy bars, individually packed cakes/cookies, soup in a cup, etc. Or, buy such at the embarkation port, if possible.

Also keep in mind that without refrigeration for several hours, a bigger problem could be sickness from spoiled meat/cheese/spreads on your sandwiches!

Good luck.

It is allowed to take packaged food such as granola bars, etc off the ship? I sometimes have problems with my blood sugar so I carry food with me everywhere I go...always pre-packaged food. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I"m not supposed to when we get to the ports. I don't want to take the risk if it's prohibited. :confused:

We've done this on multiple cruises without once being hassled. We've brought sandwiches from the Royal Promenade and like a cookie or 2. I've never seen them search bags leaving the ship. IMO it's probably safer to take food from the ship because our server on Freedom told us one of the crew went off in Mexico and ate outside and contracted hepatitis so that's a concern about local fare....unless you have Twinrix shots.

Gee, I'm sure that the farmers in whatever country your are visiting will greatly appreciate you introducing new pests that will destroy their crops.

If you're afraid of getting a disease on shore, then eat on the ship. Do not damage the economy of another nation because you are afraid of catching a disease.

And you have probably exceeded the speed limit or broken other traffic laws and not been caught either.:rolleyes: That doesn't make it right and you do face fines and other penalties if you are caught. The daily cruise compass will state quite definitively that you are not allowed to take food off the ship. Health regulations in the various ports you visit prohibit the practice and for very good reason.As others have already noted, we have seen bags searched and foodstuffs confiscated. The fact that you have never seen it happen doesn't mean it doesn't. Please respect the people whose countries you are visiting and obey their laws. If you are so concerned about contracting illness when you visit a foreign country, perhaps you should reconsider your trip. Thousands of passengers visit these ports on a regular basis and very few get ill if they use common precautions. Don't try to justify selfish actions by repeating apocryphal stories of crew members or passengers getting ill from eating onshore.:rolleyes:

Last month in Mazatlan was the first time we were searched on the dock for food. They got a couple of bananas. We didn't get fined or anything. I have yet to see any inspection in the carribean,

True story- one time on RCL, they had a real nice rotisserie chicken on the menu. It was so nice that I asked the waiter for two and he brought me two meals with the plastic cover still on them. The next day, I put them both into a ziplock bag, went to a beach in Nassau, bought a couple of beers and we had a nice little picnic on the beach.

Packaged food ... no prob. As is usual with other cruiseline rules, you probaby CAN take other food off, but SHOULD you? Well, there is a definite reason why unpackaged food is not allowed ... it could pose a danger to the local ecosystem. Will it? Probably not. Could it? Yes.

On most islands what you are doing is a fairly serious crime. Just because you haven't been searched before, doesn't mean it won't happen. Some people have robbed banks and not gotten caught; that doesn't mean they can go rob more risk free. You could receive a stiff fine or even arrested in many countries for doing this and you are also endangering the inhabitants and the agriculture of the island. It is bad enough if you are doing this knowing that it is illegal and dangerous to others, but it is that much more arrogant that you would encourage others to do so. :mad:

It is allowed to take packaged food such as granola bars, etc off the ship? I sometimes have problems with my blood sugar so I carry food with me everywhere I go...always pre-packaged food. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I"m not supposed to when we get to the ports. I don't want to take the risk if it's prohibited. :confused:

Yes, in most (if not all) places that should be fine. You can always double check with staff as you exit the ship if a specific item is permitted to be brought into the country you are visiting.

Last month in Mazatlan was the first time we were searched on the dock for food. They got a couple of bananas. We didn't get fined or anything. I have yet to see any inspection in the carribean,

True story- one time on RCL, they had a real nice rotisserie chicken on the menu. It was so nice that I asked the waiter for two and he brought me two meals with the plastic cover still on them. The next day, I put them both into a ziplock bag, went to a beach in Nassau, bought a couple of beers and we had a nice little picnic on the beach.

You say this as though it was a good thing. If you do not trust us on the board that have said so, then do some research on your own and you will see the danger of doing this as well as the illegality.

What don't you get about it? In most ports it is ILLEGAL and you risk very heavy fines.

Besides the fact that you broke the rules big-time, the refrigerators in the cabin are not very cold; they are only coolers. That chicken sat in the cooler overnight before you took it out of there and kept it in the heat for a period of time. My biggest worry would be illness from spoiled food. I hope you didn't get sick, but the very real possibility exists that you could ruin the rest of your vacation by getting food poisoning.

And you have probably exceeded the speed limit or broken other traffic laws and not been caught either.:rolleyes: That doesn't make it right and you do face fines and other penalties if you are caught. The daily cruise compass will state quite definitively that you are not allowed to take food off the ship. Health regulations in the various ports you visit prohibit the practice and for very good reason.As others have already noted, we have seen bags searched and foodstuffs confiscated. The fact that you have never seen it happen doesn't mean it doesn't. Please respect the people whose countries you are visiting and obey their laws. If you are so concerned about contracting illness when you visit a foreign country, perhaps you should reconsider your trip. Thousands of passengers visit these ports on a regular basis and very few get ill if they use common precautions. Don't try to justify selfish actions by repeating apocryphal stories of crew members or passengers getting ill from eating onshore.:rolleyes:

You tell 'em, Bill! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

I suggested to my friend that we carry sandwiches off in Ziploc bags to

avoid having to worry about stopping somewhere to eat on a very short

time in port.

She's concerned about being searched and hauled off to jail. I know you're

If it is a very short time in port, why would you not eat before getting off the ship???

I would be concerned about keeping a sandwich for so long in the heat. Especially when you can eat breakfast and eat all you want, that should hold you over for a few hours. After a few hours......yuck....who would eat that sandwich????

Archived