Solstice Eastern Caribbean NOT stopping at Labadee?!

micmacmissy

Solstice has two itineraries - alternating weeks - during the Caribbean season:

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Day 4 Basseterre, St. Kitts

Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

OR

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Day 4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Day 5 Tortola, B.V.I.

Day 6 Labadee, Haiti

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We're planning on a March 09 cruise that includes Labadee - I've seen lots of positive comments about Labadee on the CC boards.

I'm guessing that the week it does the St. Kitts itinerary, there is another ship at Labadee the day Solstice could visit. It's much better when only 1 ship visits Labadee at a time.

keep in mind that they have already announced that they are going to build a pier at Labadee large enough to handle the big new ships like Solstice. That will avoid having to tender all those passengers ashore, but until the pier is finished, tendering it will be. The thought of those thousands being tendered and crowding the beaches there makes me glad that I do not plan to subject myself to that kind of indignity. That does not make a vacation for me.:(

keep in mind that they have already announced that they are going to build a pier at Labadee large enough to handle the big new ships like Solstice. That will avoid having to tender all those passengers ashore, but until the pier is finished, tendering it will be. The thought of those thousands being tendered and crowding the beaches there makes me glad that I do not plan to subject myself to that kind of indignity. That does not make a vacation for me.:(

We've tendered on Freedom of the Seas, which holds a thousand people more than Soltice will. The tenders loaded very quickly and RCL uses really large bi-level ones (I would guess 300 people) and loads at the front and back of the ship. This was a lot faster than when we have tendered on small ships. Also, the best tip I could give you for uncrowded beaches on Labadee, keep walking. So many people walk of the ship and plop down. We were told by our waiter to keep walking and it was heaven. Again, we were there with a thousand people more than Solstice will have and it was fine.

Do NOT scare me like that. I love Labadee and was sad that it had been canceled for almost 30 seconds!!! I agree that it's mostly abut the ship but we're only planning to get off in Labadee and St. Martin.

Big Fat Ditto!!! If X does eliminate Labadee between now and the time I have to make final payment, it will be a deal breaker for me too.

OP have you heard something or did you just misread the two itineraries? Help!:o

Hello

please read the website-it goes every other week. But it is all about the ship...enjoy the ship

Thanks, but I did read the website. For the two weeks that our kids have vacation in the year, The Solstice is doing the non-Labadee itinerary. I just think 3 days at sea is too much...and wouldn't cruise X again without Labadee, that is how much we liked it!

I didn't misread, and I didn't mean to scare anyone...I just found it disappointing that it's off 1/2 the Solstice itineraries.

Thanks, but I did read the website. For the two weeks that our kids have vacation in the year, The Solstice is doing the non-Labadee itinerary. I just think 3 days at sea is too much...and wouldn't cruise X again without Labadee, that is how much we liked it!

I didn't misread, and I didn't mean to scare anyone...I just found it disappointing that it's off 1/2 the Solstice itineraries.

Are your kids two weeks not in a row? I just checked the web-site and the itineraries still alternate the exact same way they have since they were announced.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I personally am glad that our cruise doesn't stop at Labadee. I thought it was a wasted port stop on our transatlantic - would have much preferred either overnighting in Barcelona at the beginning of the cruise or have the extra sea day. We got off, spent about a half hour eating lunch and promptly went back to the ship. I was very disappointed with the stop. The lines were long for food and for the tenders back to the ship. And they did run out of ribs before we got there which was the reason we went ashore.

But I don't cruise for the ports, I do cruise for the ship so I would welcome a 7 day cruise with no ports at all.

Are your kids two weeks not in a row? I just checked the web-site and the itineraries still alternate the exact same way they have since they were announced.

No- they have a week in Feb and a week in April. I know they would LOVE Labadee...and I'm worried about being "stuck" on the ship with them for 3 sea days.

When I booked our last cruise, I didn't care what the stops were...but we had really rough seas...and suddenly I was looking forward to the port days to have a break from the queasiness!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I personally am glad that our cruise doesn't stop at Labadee. I thought it was a wasted port stop on our transatlantic - would have much preferred either overnighting in Barcelona at the beginning of the cruise or have the extra sea day. We got off, spent about a half hour eating lunch and promptly went back to the ship. I was very disappointed with the stop. The lines were long for food and for the tenders back to the ship. And they did run out of ribs before we got there which was the reason we went ashore.

But I don't cruise for the ports, I do cruise for the ship so I would welcome a 7 day cruise with no ports at all.

Well, yes, I'd rather have a day in Europe than a day in Labadee, but a day in Europe usually doesn't happen on an Eastern Carib itinerary! ;)

You must not enjoy a beach day...because anyone who likes sand, sun, swimming or snorkeling, this is a great stop. There were so many nice secluded beach spots...we could've stayed there for 2 days! The scenery was also beautiful. And if you have kids--my gosh, they'd LOVE the place.

I do agree with you on the food. It was pretty bad...funny, because we heard people rave about the ribs...I found them to be "eh".

Because of Labadee, I chose the other itinerary. I live on a island with tons of beaches, so really don't care for that on a cruise. Btw when we were in Princess Cays(also a private beach) last year, we were in 45 min. back on the ship, enjoying a wonderful lunch in one of the restaurants.

Well, yes, I'd rather have a day in Europe than a day in Labadee, but a day in Europe usually doesn't happen on an Eastern Carib itinerary! ;)

You must not enjoy a beach day...because anyone who likes sand, sun, swimming or snorkeling, this is a great stop. There were so many nice secluded beach spots...we could've stayed there for 2 days! The scenery was also beautiful. And if you have kids--my gosh, they'd LOVE the place.

I do agree with you on the food. It was pretty bad...funny, because we heard people rave about the ribs...I found them to be "eh".

I would have preferred a sea day over this particular beach stop. I do enjoy beach days - loved the one that we did on our Zenith cruise. But Labadee seemed dirty compared to Catalina - Dominican Republic private beach area we stopped at on the Zenith. Even though there was probably more things to do on Labadee, we would prefer to just lay out on the beach and Labadee beaches were not as good as others in the Caribbean.

This is what makes the world go round - differences in priorities. We chose the itinerary that provides 3 sea days because we LOVE sea days. And the San Juan day is a bonus half sea day. :) Sorry the 2 weeks you like don't work for you but at least X is trying to appeal to as many people as possible by alternating the itinerary. I still wish St Thomas was on the itinerary - we love it but I know there are plenty of others who feel it is overdone. It's the old cliche of you can't please everyone!

When we booked the Solstice, I would have preferred St Kitts over Tortola and Labadee. But we are taking my parents on their first cruise. They will get more out of the later two

I would have preferred St. Kitts over Tortola but I like my Labadee.

We prefer the St. Kitts itinerary better.

We live in Florida so Labadee isn't really a big draw for us.

Been to St. Kitts once, missed quite a bit, so we do want to go back.

We'd like to go back to Tortola also, but Solstice is only there from 7-1.:(

I guess there'll be fans of both itineraries.:)

It was a tough choice. Another day relaxing on the ship or spending the time in Labadee. I would have taken ship, but didn't want the folks to feel trapped on Solstice

Actually, if you stay onboard in Labadee, you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll have the sea day of many people's dreams: the ship to yourself! We do this on any cruise that stops in Jamaica and it's great!

Personally, I couldn't do Labadee knowing that the most common food source on the island is a cake cooked out of mud, oil and sugar, which was only eaten by the most desititute, and now a staple of the middle class. It is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. The cruise ship tourism is NOT helping.

They are EATING DIRT, people! Get a conciousness! :( :o Labadee does NOT help Haiti!!!!!

Personally, I couldn't do Labadee knowing that the most common food source on the island is a cake cooked out of mud, oil and sugar, which was only eaten by the most desititute, and now a staple of the middle class. It is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. The cruise ship tourism is NOT helping.

They are EATING DIRT, people! Get a conciousness! :( :o Labadee does NOT help Haiti!!!!!

Wow! I do have some guilt stopping at Labadee, but I also have guilt stopping in the Domincan Republic, and walking through NYC where there are homeless, etc... I'm hoping that the money I tip and the revenue I generate when I'm in Labadee will help the several hundred Haitians working there some, and hopefully visiting will make people more aware of Haiti's beauty and it's need for change/assistance.

Anyway, I loved Labadee. I could take a cruise just to Haiti. Let me hang out on the ship at night and go to Labadee every day. I'm glad I got to experience it now, though. With the new pier they're building, they'll be able to have two ships in port each day. I can't imagine two Royal Caribbean ships there together . . . especially since Genesis of the Seas will hold 5,400 passengers.

Why do you say Labadee does not help Haiti? 300 local people are employed. A couple hundred more sell merchandise there. A fee is paid to Haiti for every passenger. Labadee is a large source of revenue for Haiti. You think it would be better not to do Labadee and to make the island poorer?

Archived