Voyager vibration in Lounge & Signatures

Bick

After reading a few posts on the Voyager vibration issue, I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this. How noticeable is it really in the Lounge and Signatures given their aft location?

The area where we felt the vibration the strongest is in La Veranda -- probably because it is both aft and on a higher deck than Signatures. Although the vibration was noticeable in some areas, it was not really bothersome (however, we would not book an aft suite on the Voyager;) )

The area where we felt the vibration the strongest is in La Veranda -- probably because it is both aft and on a higher deck than Signatures. Although the vibration was noticeable in some areas, it was not really bothersome (however, we would not book an aft suite on the Voyager;) )

So if you're having a drink there, is the vibration such that you could see you liquid in your drink move slightly, or is it like being on a noisy vibrating bed?

So if you're having a drink there, is the vibration such that you could see you liquid in your drink move slightly, or is it like being on a noisy vibrating bed?

Definitely not like a vibrating bed:-) The drink may shake slightly (just being on the ocean makes this happen). Actually, the Voyager was slightly damaged shortly after it was built. While some folks complain loudly about the aft vibration, most of us hardly notice it. (Note: My DH noticed it more than I did). While most people cannot deny that it's there -- it won't bother you -- unless you are super sensitive:D

I have never noticed it in La Veranda. In Signatures, the only time when it was really noticable was when we were leaving port and having to make a fairly sharp turn around. It was significant and noisy, but only for a few minutes and did not disturb our meal to any degree. The water in our glasses definitely was vibrating though.

It truly amazes me that experiences can be so different. . . . As I've mentioned, I am not vibration sensitive. . . in fact, I really had a difficult time finding any vibration on the Navigator. . . However, the only place (during our Baltic cruise on the Voyager) that had a vibration every single time was the entrance to La Veranda.

Most posts on this subject have led me to believe that the vibration on the Voyager was more consistant than on the Navigator. Apparently this information isn't correct. So, Bick, we are all giving you our experience. . . we will be back on the Voyager in six months and have no concern about the vibration (but will check out La Veranda -- really curious to see if it's changed:-)

It truly amazes me that experiences can be so different. . . . As I've mentioned, I am not vibration sensitive. . . in fact, I really had a difficult time finding any vibration on the Navigator. . . However, the only place (during our Baltic cruise on the Voyager) that had a vibration every single time was the entrance to La Veranda.

Most posts on this subject have led me to believe that the vibration on the Voyager was more consistant than on the Navigator. Apparently this information isn't correct. So, Bick, we are all giving you our experience. . . we will be back on the Voyager in six months and have no concern about the vibration (but will check out La Veranda -- really curious to see if it's changed:-)

Thanks Cat. We're not uber-sensitive to slight vibrations - we live in Southern California after all. I must've read a lot of the same posts you did, and got a little concerned about how MUCH vibration there was. One of the posters relayed a fairly graphic negative experience in an aft suite, so I assumed the same would hold true in the aft restaurants and lounges. I'd be more sensitive to vibrations if I were trying to sleep - much less so during dinner and cocktails. I probably wouldn't be much fun if I were concerned about a little vibration during dinner - I just didn't want it shaking so much that I'd miss my mouth with a fork full of food.

I'll be checking out both Signatures and La Veranda next month and will report back. Thanks for the info.

The vibration on Voyager is very real but as far as I am concerned, so minimal as to any kind of real issue. I think the ship is moving, so how could you not feel the movement? It will vibrate at high speed - it's what machines and engines do. Sit in your car with the engine idling for a few minutes - you will feel some normal vibration. I've sailed on Voyager last November during the Westbound Crossing - and it was smooth as glass and the year before was on her from Monte Carlo to Dover - no problem. Just don't book aft of the laundry - although I know others who have and say not to worry. I am sure there will be a few people who will pipe up and say otherwise but this is my opinion.

On our first two cruises, we had Horizon Suites. There have been many posts about the vibrations felt in those cabins. The vibrations felt were not frequent and frankly, I found them soothing. The balconies were such a pleasure that on our last cruise, we upgraded to an Aft Suite for the perspective of the views you have. I was kind of dissappointed that there wasn't vibration on that ship.

On our next cruise with Regent, we were hoping to be upgraded to a Horizon Suite with our "G Gty". Alas, we were not and have been given a cabin mid ship in the "basement" with the limited views of the the smaller balcony. Word must be getting out that the vibrations are insignificant and the Horizon Suites are popular and perferred.

Keep the boards buzzing about the vibrations felt on the Voyager. Perhaps we will be luckier with the next booking and be awarded one of those Horizon Suites with the "siginificant" vibrations.:D

As for the dining rooms, I don't recall feeling the vibrations.

Cheers! Pierce

On our first two cruises, we had Horizon Suites. There have been many posts about the vibrations felt in those cabins. The vibrations felt were not frequent and frankly, I found them soothing. The balconies were such a pleasure that on our last cruise, we upgraded to an Aft Suite for the perspective of the views you have. I was kind of dissappointed that there wasn't vibration on that ship.

On our next cruise with Regent, we were hoping to be upgraded to a Horizon Suite with our "G Gty". Alas, we were not and have been given a cabin mid ship in the "basement" with the limited views of the the smaller balcony. Word must be getting out that the vibrations are insignificant and the Horizon Suites are popular and perferred.

Keep the boards buzzing about the vibrations felt on the Voyager. Perhaps we will be luckier with the next booking and be awarded one of those Horizon Suites with the "siginificant" vibrations.:D

As for the dining rooms, I don't recall feeling the vibrations.

Cheers! Pierce

Interesting.

You're now the third person to say the vibrations were no big deal in the aft.

We're on the same cruise, so maybe we'll run into each other with some "vibrating" drinks in La Veranda.

I sure hope the problem we had in a horizon suite for a Panama Canal cruise in late '04 has been fixed! Our category C suite went beyond vibration, and shook like the dickens above 20 knots. We had an "H" guarantee, and asked to be put in a category H, but the ship was full (they said).

But, to be totally fair, below 20 knots, the situation in the suite was fine. Perhaps they have slowed the ship down, in light of the problem at higher speeds.

Interesting.

We're on the same cruise, so maybe we'll run into each other with some "vibrating" drinks in La Veranda.

Hi Bick,

On this board under the topic of Roll Call - Other Lines, I started a roll call for our cruise. Take a look!

Cheers, Pierce

• 2 weeks later...

The Voyager is a great ship built by a small yard in Italy; Mariotti. If you know of this ship and have sailed on her as I have, there was originally a signifigant engine mounting problem which plagued this vessel. The mounts wore out and caused serious vibrations throughout the entire hull - particularly at higher speeds and heavy seas.

While the mount design of the engine issue has been resolved and engineering adjustments have been implemented, the ship under certain circumstances will always vibrate.

This is NOT unlike other passenger ships built - to this very day. For example, some very new screw driven ships and even Azipod units at higher speeds and/or heavy seas can and will cause serious noise, vibration and cavitation issues - i.e. Celebrity's Galaxy Class (Mercury, Century, Galaxy). The dining room in the rear of these ships can be a cause for serious disturbances.

So, don't fret - the Voyager is solid and classy - rock and roll - shake and bake...

Ok, I have a vibration question. Do you mean noise, movement or both. Can live with the movement - but not the noise.

There can be noise associated with the vibration. The best bet is to not book an aft cabin (particularly ones on higher decks). This does not mean that you can't get lucky and have a sailing so smooth that the vibration is barely noticeable.

Enjoyed the above story of the Voyager -- different than I've heard in the past. The most popular story of why the Voyager has vibration issues is that it had a slight accident right after it was built. It sounded like it would be difficult if not impossible to fix.

The Voyager is our favorite Regent ship (so far). :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I had repeatedly heard the story about the Voyager striking a rock early in her career, and this being the start of the vibration. However, some of the people who were invited on the free inaugural cruise reported that there was a vibration literally from day one. Later, I was fated to experience it at perhaps its worst.

The Voyager is a beautiful ship otherwise, and gives one great cruise! I wish they could fix the vibration problem so she would be perfect. I'm not really a vibration sensitive person. The last two ships I've cruised have been the Silver Cloud and the Silver Wind. Absolutely no vibration anywhere that I could detect. So, I'm not one who seems to find vibration everywhere.

But one very good thing about the Voyager is that if you book a suite froward of the laundry room locations on each deck, you are virtually guaranteed a ride that is smooth in all respects.

There have been posts on the vibration on the Voyager ever since she was built, five years now. I think we can safely assume it is an integral part of the ship and always will be. For those who do not mind it, and there are many, it is not a problem. Those who do object should simply find another ship.

There have been posts on the vibration on the Voyager ever since she was built, five years now. I think we can safely assume it is an integral part of the ship and always will be. For those who do not mind it, and there are many, it is not a problem. Those who do object should simply find another ship.

wripro -- I think the folks on this thread are just trying to determine what the vibration feels/sounds like. No one questions the fact that there is a vibration . . . it's kind of difficult to "object" when you don't understand what it is. Even those of us who have been on Voyager seem to have had different experiences:confused:

Like Pierce, we've stayed in an Horizon cabin (on the aft corner on Deck 8) and loved it. No vibration problem whatever except when the bowthrusters were engaged. But that vibration occurs on other ships as well (we've just returned from 15 days on Silver Whisper and experienced significant vibration when the bowthrusters were used and no vibration otherwise).

In many dinners at Signatures, we've not had as much as a glass jiggle from engine vibration (we've had a few tippy moments in high seas, though, not to mention a few tipsy moments in high cocktail mode).

Archived