My DH refuses to dress up for dinner

jeanscruise

He says he's not dressing up any more for formal nights, that he will wear nice jeans and a nice shirt. He's a stubborn mule but I love him, what can I say. Well, at least I'll be wearing a nice cocktail dress. I guess my question is, Are they going to let us in??? He'd be happy with skipping it all and going buffet, but I want a nice dinner!

My guy ONLY dresses up on cruises. Come on, it is part of the fun! Back in 1999 hubby bought a $150.00 tux from J.C. Penney that he has gotten tons of use out of. He is retired and wears jeans around the house most of the time (also with the fly open most of the time, such a nitwit). Can't we all get along?

Cheryl

DH and I decided on our last cruise after I stuffed myself into panty hose and Spanx that we are no longer taking formal clothing and will eat in the buffet on formal nights.

There is another venue if people don't want to dress for dinner. I would not feel comfortable not dressing properly and going to the formal dining rooms on formal night. (There are also cruise lines you never have to dress up for dinner on). But that's just me - I may not like the rules, but I adhere to them and eating in the buffet won't hurt if I don't care to dress up.

I am so through with bringing dressy clothes on a cruise. Of course, I would

never go into the dining room dressed with ultra casual clothes either.

This is why we ended up at the buffet 9 out of 10 nights on the last cruise.

It was a great way to enjoy a cruise, not having to bring all that dressy

crap with us.:D

I'm looking forward to the formal nights!

DH is getting a fabulous suit (we've already found it, locally), and I'm starting to look at fashions for me...

It's like a week-long romantic Date, and we want to dress up for each other! (like, at his son's wedding, he was wearing a tux, and I could barely keep my hands off him.... he likes that....)

Jeans on a cruise seems hot to me. My slacks are a ton more comfortable than jeans. But I kinda understand how he feels. The buffet is sometimes better than the dining rooms in my experience, so no biggy.

But we always like dressing up and going to dinner. It makes it more special to us. But I am used to wearing a suit everyday.

We love to dress up for formal nights! It has made for some great pictures too.

We have made one different decision though, on our next cruise DH is renting a tux so we don't have to haul his suit in our luggage. I look forward to the extra luggage space that will leave for ME :D .

I'm looking forward to the formal nights!

...It's like a week-long romantic Date, and we want to dress up for each other! (like, at his son's wedding, he was wearing a tux, and I could barely keep my hands off him.... he likes that....)

If men only knew...;)

DH and I decided on our last cruise after I stuffed myself into panty hose and Spanx that we are no longer taking formal clothing and will eat in the buffet on formal nights.

There is another venue if people don't want to dress for dinner. I would not feel comfortable not dressing properly and going to the formal dining rooms on formal night. (There are also cruise lines you never have to dress up for dinner on). But that's just me - I may not like the rules, but I adhere to them and eating in the buffet won't hurt if I don't care to dress up.

Thank You for adhereing to the rules. Those of us who like to drees-up on formal night appreciate that you are not trying to change the formal nights. By the way I don't wear panty hose anymore either. With evening sandals and a pedicure I don't think you have to. Thanks again

He says he's not dressing up any more for formal nights, that he will wear nice jeans and a nice shirt. He's a stubborn mule but I love him, what can I say. Well, at least I'll be wearing a nice cocktail dress. I guess my question is, Are they going to let us in??? He'd be happy with skipping it all and going buffet, but I want a nice dinner!

The food in the buffet is excellent.......especially if you are going on a ship with the Cafe Caribe, we dress formally every nite (our choice) but we always eat in the buffet for all meals, we prefer it to the dining room.

The food in the buffet is excellent.......especially if you are going on a ship with the Cafe Caribe, we dress formally every nite (our choice) but we always eat in the buffet for all meals, we prefer it to the dining room.

when we sailed the Caribbean Princess last year most of our meals were done at the cafe caribe. The only difference between here and the dining room-- we got our own food. Tables were set with tables clothes- and silverware was laid out-- not rolled into napkins. waiters came around and filled the water glasses. there were waiters to get you drinks. Stolling musicians depending on the theme of the night-- marichi people on mexican night. Accordian players on bavarian night.

But the best deal was--- most people eat in the dining room so we were almost alone at a table for 4 for the two of us. and no one else around us.

We booked the Crown hoping to get the same ambiance as we did on the CB.

I dotn know if you can get a bad dinner anywhere on the ships

On our last cruise we saw a woman turned away from on of the anytime dining rooms and I guess she went to the other one and then came back and yelled at the guy at the door that she should be able to eat and he told her to change out of the jeans, t-shirt and cowboy hat and she could come in.

DH and I decided on our last cruise after I stuffed myself into panty hose and Spanx that we are no longer taking formal clothing and will eat in the buffet on formal nights..

Spanx and pantyhose - I feel your pain!! I have been there many a time myself!!! :p

I am so through with bringing dressy clothes on a cruise. Of course, I would

never go into the dining room dressed with ultra casual clothes either.

This is why we ended up at the buffet 9 out of 10 nights on the last cruise.

It was a great way to enjoy a cruise, not having to bring all that dressy

crap with us.:D

"Dressy crap" - I couldn't have put it better myself! :)

My husband got that same JCPenney tux (microfiber...very lightweight). He chafed a bit (literally and figuratively) at the wing tip collar and bow tie but I have ordered him a banded collar tuxedo shirt to wear, which requires no tie. Now, he really is almost as comfortable as wearing Dockers and a golf shirt, and is quite into the spirit of formal nights.

Pantyhose? I haven't worn them, on a cruise or elsewhere, in about 10 years. That's what suntans and razors are for.

I respectfully disagree that the food is excellent. I find it OK, not one of Princess' strong suit.

As to the formal wear, we consider a date night and actually prefer dressing more formal. I typically don't pay attention to what others wear, but may if someone showed up in jeans. I wuold hope they would not allow that but who knows anymore.......There are plenty of other nights that one can wear slacks and golf shirts. As I'm not a fan of jeans in the dining room but whatever floats your boat.

PescadoAmarillo

You are so right about the tux with the banded collar shirt. My husband hates at tie. He had been wearing a suit and tie for formal night. Then a friend tool us about the banded collar shirt. So he got a tux and the shirt. He wears it with a banded collar shirt and a button clip. He looks great and is happy. Some times after dinner and the show, if the ship is hot he will change.

We are going to Alaska this June on the T-Princess. We spend our winters in Fl. So we had to go to Rochester last week. I ask my husdand. "Do you want to take your tux back north or wear a suit and tie for formal night. He answered real fast "pack the tux and take it home." So I gress he finds the tux better that the suit!

Has any one else taken a cruise back in the 1970's? I use to travel on the SS Oceanic. I had to wear a gown on formal nights. The rest of the nights were fancy too. Every one just did it and had a great time. But dress in general is just less dressy today.

Geo

Archived