Why do people get irritated with Diamond/+ members for not waiting in line as much?

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this. I just read in the new thread “Live from the Serenade” where the OP was happy when a Diamond Plus member was told to go to the end of the line after she was irritated with waiting so long and conveyed to the Pier Agents that she shouldn’t have to wait b/c of her Crown and Anchor status.

I don’t understand the OP’s thinking.

I am younger (27) and am a Diamond Plus Member and have been since I was about 22. Both my parents and younger sister are Diamond Plus as well and one of the perks IS that once arriving at the pier—you should be directed into what used to be called “The Chairman’s lounge” to enjoy a more relaxed, air conditioned atmosphere, with refreshments available. Did this change? We know some people at the pier in Miami and are regular guests on the Majesty of the Seas (have been for years), and anytime we arrived—as long as the ship was cleared, we were directed to the lounge and able to chill there until boarding started. We were then the first ones on the ship. This even took place when our friends at the pier were absent, and I’ve seen others there as well, so I’m assuming this is normal procedure.

I’ve also had people say some not real kind things to my family and I before boarding, when we were taken to the front of the line and through security before everyone else due to our Diamond and then Diamond Plus status. Trust me, we are very warm and friendly people and certainly do not carry the “I’m better than you” attitude, but people have still been downright rude about it. I don’t understand that behavior and would never frown upon people that got to “go before me” or have a negative attitude about it.

So, are there any of you out there that agree with that Poster? May I ask what your thinking is on this? To be honest, we’ve paid enough $$ over the years to have these special perks, so I’m not sure why people really feel shorted or annoyed by it. Is it jealously?

Although I was not present, I agree with the Diamond Plus member boarding the Serenade that was unhappy having to wait with thousands of other people in the hot sun. Now, I’m not saying certain circumstances don’t warrant the need for that—believe me, I know the procedures and fully understand them—and I of course would never condone rude behavior--but I do feel that the Diamond and + members should be able to cut through some of the “line waiting”—and as far as I’m aware, that is normally policy anyway.

Thoughts?

No one was inside yet. Everyone was queued up OUTSIDE for HOURS, waiting in the hot sun.

Why should someone with "C&A status" be able to arrive late and jump the line? That's just rude.

Once inside, there are separate check-in lines. The precious Diamond + cruiser can wait with everyone else outside, AND at the back of that long line, as far as I am concerned!

No one was inside yet. Everyone was queued up OUTSIDE for HOURS, waiting in the hot sun.

Why should someone with "C&A status" be able to arrive late and jump the line? That's just rude.

Once inside, there are separate check-in lines. The precious Diamond + cruiser can wait with everyone else outside, AND at the back of that long line, as far as I am concerned!

Unbelievably, I totally agree with your post.

hey all,

I'm not a diamond + cruiser (I've only been cruising a couple of times).

I actually disagree with the above response.

I think that people who have "earned their stripes" so to speak by travelling so many times, do deserve some special perks. They've stood in their share of lines to work their way up to the perk of being allowed to jump the line...and annoying as that may be for those of us who don't get that perk...I hope that if I do that many cruises, one day I will enjoy those same benefits.

I do think they should have an entirely separate entrance area so that the rest of us don't have to watch people go ahead of us though.

just my two cents.

:)

Yeah, I agree. We get priority boarding for platinum as well, but we don't separate until we are already inside the building. If there a line waiting to get in to the building, no one should be able to walk past folks who have been waiting. To me, even attmepting that is rude.

hey all,

I think that people who have "earned their stripes" so to speak by travelling so many times, do deserve some special perks. They've stood in their share of lines to work their way up to the perk of being allowed to jump the line...and annoying as that may be for those of us who don't get that perk...I hope that if I do that many cruises, one day I will enjoy those same benefits.

I do think they should have an entirely separate entrance area so that the rest of us don't have to watch people go ahead of us though.

just my two cents.

They do get special perks once inside, not outside on the sidewalk.

Wife & I are Diamond. If there is a separate, marked line/entrance for something, we will use it without a second thought. If there is not, then we are no different than anyone else and will go with the flow (or lack of flow!). I personally would consider it rude to demand something that is not offered in this situation.

I will be going on my second RCI cruise in October, so I'm no where near diamond status but would LOVE to be there at some point!

I think those with diamond status have EARNED their perks, and if one of those perks is to go to the "front of the line" then I certainly don't mind. It's too bad some people are rude to diamond status people. :(

Now, if a diamond status person, couple, or group walked by me and thumbed their nose at me then that's another story, ha ha! But just asking a staff member about going to the front, because they are diamond members, or having a "special lounge" to go to it's no big deal to me. They earned it.

hey all,

just my two cents.

OK so take your opinion 1 step further, cars lined up outside to drop of huests and luggage, before the porters etc are ready, should a D/D+ member drive down to the front of the line and unload, I think not. Once inside the building, there are priority lines and this is where the perks should come in. I am diamond, heading to D+ and would never dream of jumping line to get into a building that hadn't even opened yet

We are both elite on on Continental Airlines (SkyTeam) DH is a Platinum and I'm Silver. I think spending as much time as we do on planes gives us the right to cut lines, utilize airport lounges, and get upgraded. I see it the same on the cruise lines! I think that if you've earned your status you should certainly be able to cut the line! DH and I don't have status, are working toward it and look forward to these kind of perks in the future!

We are both elite on on Continental Airlines (SkyTeam) DH is a Platinum and I'm Silver. I think spending as much time as we do on planes gives us the right to cut lines, utilize airport lounges, and get upgraded. I see it the same on the cruise lines! I think that if you've earned your status you should certainly be able to cut the line! DH and I don't have status, are working toward it and look forward to these kind of perks in the future!

Your Continental status is not going to allow you to bypass a line to get in the airport just as diamond status won't get you into the pier building faster either. Once inside the building, sure, head to the priority line. We do it at the airport too but you have to get in the building first.

Wife & I are Diamond. If there is a separate, marked line/entrance for something, we will use it without a second thought. If there is not, then we are no different than anyone else and will go with the flow (or lack of flow!). I personally would consider it rude to demand something that is not offered in this situation.

Great line! ;)

I believe this is the correct attitude to be taken, not only for the D & D+, but for the rest of us as well. If something (whatever it might be; CL, priority lines, nightly gifts, etc.) is part of a perks package offered through a loyalty program it has been EARNED by those who are entitled. None of us should dare to express any negativity towards them. For their part, D & D+'ers - you know what you get and you know it doesn't include barging into elevators and the buffet line, bumping somebody out of the good pool chairs, exemption from weird noises and smells in your cabins:rolleyes: ... Please fully partake in what is your due, grow up and use your manners about everything else.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Yes, but you don't get any elite perks until you passed through security. This is what we are discussing here. Once through security diamonds do have special privileges just as the airlines' elite members do.

I'm sure there are MANY folks waiting in line who know NOTHING about C&A and what that status can bring! (Only a very small percentage of cruisers actually are familiar with this site) So, had they know what was going on, they may strive to reach that status in the future--as it was, they thought the D+ folks were just being pushy and rude.

I don't know that we will ever make Diamond, but I would hope that we would still have enough respect for people to wait in line OUTSIDE the building. We just returned from EOS and it was nice to bypass the other lines to speed through the Platinum check-in, but we shuffled inside with the line like everyone else.

hey all,

just my two cents.

But one of the problems is that there are now many who didn't EARN their stripes.

We have been Diamond + cruisers for some time and appreciate the available perks. But we've noticed that when checking-in, there are now so many platinum, diamond and diamond + members, that sometimes the non-priority line is shorter than the priority boarding line.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this. I just read in the new thread “Live from the Serenade” where the OP was happy when a Diamond Plus member was told to go to the end of the line after she was irritated with waiting so long and conveyed to the Pier Agents that she shouldn’t have to wait b/c of her Crown and Anchor status.

I don’t understand the OP’s thinking.

I am younger (27) and am a Diamond Plus Member and have been since I was about 22. Both my parents and younger sister are Diamond Plus as well and one of the perks IS that once arriving at the pier—you should be directed into what used to be called “The Chairman’s lounge” to enjoy a more relaxed, air conditioned atmosphere, with refreshments available. Did this change? We know some people at the pier in Miami and are regular guests on the Majesty of the Seas (have been for years), and anytime we arrived—as long as the ship was cleared, we were directed to the lounge and able to chill there until boarding started. We were then the first ones on the ship. This even took place when our friends at the pier were absent, and I’ve seen others there as well, so I’m assuming this is normal procedure.

I’ve also had people say some not real kind things to my family and I before boarding, when we were taken to the front of the line and through security before everyone else due to our Diamond and then Diamond Plus status. Trust me, we are very warm and friendly people and certainly do not carry the “I’m better than you” attitude, but people have still been downright rude about it. I don’t understand that behavior and would never frown upon people that got to “go before me” or have a negative attitude about it.

So, are there any of you out there that agree with that Poster? May I ask what your thinking is on this? To be honest, we’ve paid enough $$ over the years to have these special perks, so I’m not sure why people really feel shorted or annoyed by it. Is it jealously?

Although I was not present, I agree with the Diamond Plus member boarding the Serenade that was unhappy having to wait with thousands of other people in the hot sun. Now, I’m not saying certain circumstances don’t warrant the need for that—believe me, I know the procedures and fully understand them—and I of course would never condone rude behavior--but I do feel that the Diamond and + members should be able to cut through some of the “line waiting”—and as far as I’m aware, that is normally policy anyway.

Thoughts?

The line was outside. Outside everybody is the same.

Yes, but you don't get any elite perks until you passed through security. This is what we are discussing here. Once through security diamonds do have special privileges just as the airlines' elite members do.

Not completly true. At some of the ports there are special waiting areas before the security check point. I believe in Port Canaveral there is a waiting area before the security area and the people (platinum and above) get to go and wait and then are lead into security before everyone else. Even if they just got there before security opened and others had been waiting for a long time. Again not sure if this was the correct port but it does happen.:rolleyes:

Priority boarding areas are inside the terminal and here's a tip for you, do not ever sail out of Bayonne NJ as the diamond/plus area is nothing special at all and is the same as the general waiting area and we all board the same bus together to get to the ship! We also do not have the cheaper 3-4 night cruises either out of our area. As far as I'm concerned the real perks are the discounts and the CL and yes they are nice but I do not think that we should be treated any better then other passengers and believe me I've spent the big bucks always sailing in suites out of NY for 9 and 15 nights B to B's and I'm also a shareholder and I wouldn't even think of expecting to be permitted to cut in front of people waiting in line to get inside a terminal. I think RCCL has the best loyalty program and I appreciate it but I do not expect to be treated better then other passengers. I've seen my share of rude demanding diamond/plus passengers on occasion yelling at the concierge or crew how they should be entitled to a special brand of liquor in the CL or a table at the last minute at Portifino or demanding they get a space on an excursion at the last minute when it is booked and they only make themselves look foolish as they do not get any of these things under those circumstances. Does anyone really expect RCCL to cater only to Diamond/Plus members and to treat them better then other passengers? If they did that, they'd lose a lot of first time cruisers and others to other cruiselines. We've all heard the rumors about changes to the C & A program and besides a cost cutting and the lack of space factor in the CL's maybe they are tired of rude diamond/plus passengers making unrealistic demands. Enjoy the perks you do get when it is possible as all ships are different in what they offer and some do not have CL's or other things and do not expect to be treated better then other passengers as it's not going to happen nor should it ever happen.

My quick answer - if there is no clearly marked priority line available in a certain situation (like outside), then you have no status to allow you to go to the front of anything. (and yes, we have D status)

More important question - why can't RC do a better job at embark, so that no one has to stand in the sun?

Not completly true. At some of the ports there are special waiting areas before the security check point. I believe in Port Canaveral there is a waiting area before the security area and the people (platinum and above) get to go and wait and then are lead into security before everyone else. Even if they just got there before security opened and others had been waiting for a long time. Again not sure if this was the correct port but it does happen.:rolleyes:

I have cruised the Mariner five times, and never found and or was offered a waiting area as you described. Not saying it isn't so. (but I will take note) as I will be on Mariner on the 31st of August... outside in the hot sun. Once inside, I will use the diamond line (if it is shorter) for boarding.

My quick answer - if there is no clearly marked priority line available in a certain situation (like outside), then you have no status to allow you to go to the front of anything. (and yes, we have D status)

More important question - why can't RC do a better job at embark, so that no one has to stand in the sun?

Don't completely blame RC, people are anxious to get going on their cruise so they arrive early, as do we. Delays can occur at these times due to disembarkent issues. I'm guessing if we arrived around 2pm, lines might not be a problem.

Archived