I've held the future of books

Pat.bz

To the people who already own the Kindle, what do you see as the negatives that could be improved upon in the Second Edition. Does anyone have any idea when the second generation might come out? Thank you

I have both the Sony and the Kindle and I much prefer Kindle. I'm also a fan of most Sony products--three flat screen TV's and countless other Sony products---but once I had the Kindle, I much preferred it to the Sony. Many more books to choose from, no need for a computer and the book prices are better from Amazon. There were three books I wanted to download, but only Amazon had them. Also, for me, the better battery life on Kindle is a huge difference for me.

OP -

Thanks so much for your great recommendation and useful info. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a Kindle for months now - just didn't know if I could give up the new (and old!) book smell and feel, but you've convinced me. The Kindle it is!

Kindle is pretty perfect except:

1. I wish it was in color (this won't change w/n couple yrs--the screen as is costs about $100 to Amazon)

2. I live in a remote mtn area w/ no Sprint technology interface, so when I'm at my AZ home I have to download purchases via SD card. This is also the case if you are downloading out of the United States.

3. The only leather cover choice is dark grey leather--it kind of looks like a Bible. I'm going to order a red cover from another vendor.

What I particularly like:

Excellent customer service. There is an Amazon phone option on their website and if you use that option they phone you right back (w/ usual outsourced other than US customer service BUT when you say "Kindle support" you get handed off to a real live knowledgable Silicon Valley Geek.

P.S. I'm not waiting for 2nd generation to buy Kindle #2 for DH.

I am a librarian and I love my Kindle. I have had one for about 6 months and have used it 3xs on vacation. The screen is wonderful and easy on the eyes. You can order books either through Amazon via the Internet or on the Kindle itself via a satellite connection. I am taking it to Turkey next week and will be anxious to see if I can order books in the remote areas of Turkey.

My greatest criticism are that the buttons that you press to "turn" the pages are placed where I like to hold the Kindle.

The font can be enlarged to suit your eyes.

You can also order newspapers and magazines. The NY Times is delivered to your Kindle everyday.

It is not cheap but I think it is the way of the future. I would love them to convert textbooks to be used on the Kindle. No more of those heavy backbacks that the kids carry back and forth to school.

I agree Amazon service is superb. I heard about the price drop yesterday, sent them a note and they immediately credited back the $40 in less than 3 hours. No problems.

2nd Generation Kindle I expect they will address some of the button issues -- for me I like the buttons, I haven't had any problems with accidental page turns as reported by many. There is an interview with the head of Amazon which was released today which says a 2nd Generation Kindle isn't near in terms of time, so no reason to try to wait for a new version.

He did hint that there will be an international version but did not commit to when -- so there's hope for you Bellagirl!

I want to thank all of you for being so helpful. I have been thinking about purchasing the Kindle for awhile and you have all convinced me this is the way to go. On our Hawaiian cruise, my hubby and I brought along at least 10 books between the two of us. With all the weight restrictions, this is not a good idea anymore. The problem with the ship's library is that the selection is poor and pages get ripped out just from a lot of use. My husband and I always leave the books behind on the ship that we do not wish to read again. I'm sure that's how they got many of their books. I would think that the bugs are continuously being worked out even before the next generation comes out.

I am a librarian and I love my Kindle. I have had one for about 6 months and have used it 3xs on vacation. You can order books either through Amazon via the Internet or on the Kindle itself via a satellite connection. I am taking it to Turkey next week and will be anxious to see if I can order books in the remote areas of Turkey.

You won't be able to order books from outside the US. I tried last month to order in the UK, and got nothing.

It figures....I finally decide to order an electronic book and one of them the price drops the same day I don't buy it, lol.

My Sony was shipped and I should have it on Friday. DH says I can order the Kindle if I really want it. I'll wait to see if I like the Sony.

The more I read about the both of them the more confused I get. Both have good and bad qualities.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info!!

My Sony Reader just arrived! It's beautiful!! Very sleek and slim.

It's charging now and I have no idea what to do next. I guess it may quite a few hours to charge.

I'm off to shop for some ebooks.

After I play...I mean read with it for a while, I'll post here how I like it. If not, I'll be ordering the Kindle, lol.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I have a question to the Kindle users.

How does it hold up sitting in direct sunlight? LCD's don't fan out too well in direct sunlight due to the reflectivity factor and the strength from the sunshine upon it.

Johnjen --

So happens I have my Kindle here with me today (forgot it under the desk while charging) so I took it outside for a look in the balmy sunshine here today. No negative effect from direct sunlight at all. The eInk is very visible in direct sunlight and there is some glare if the screen is angled just so but otherwise there is no glare at all as the screen on the Kindle is more of a matte finish. I was poking around online yesterday and saw some entrepreneurial person has started selling non-glare films for the Kindle screen; for me I don't think it needs it from my 5 second experiment. :D

Pat.bz -- have you found another vendor that makes covers? The only one I've seen is the black one from Amazon and some sleeve type ones that are less like a book.

And on the cruise side, I am now going to be using my Kindle onboard four months earlier, as we jumped on one of the new sailings for the Solstice as she is ahead of schedule -- Whooppeeeeeee!!!!!

http://www.buymedge.com/index.html

I ordered my Kindle cover from this place. I bought the red, my sister bought the brown. I like the flap closure on this cover.

Very nice cases. I wished I had seen this before I ordered this one for my Sony.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665245741

It is nice and very soft leather. I got the pink.

I've held the future...and its a Kindle; Amazon.com's electronic reader that is the size and weight of a paperback but holds 200 books on its hard drive and over a thousand on an SD card. We cruise a lot (w/ the associated flying) and this just makes life so much easier. I have at least 30 books on mine and DH will also have one before our b2b TA in November.

I attended a function where the Kindle was presented - among other things. What an absolutely fascinating thing it is. Maybe when the price comes down............

I might use it for travel and cruising, etc. But, like many others, for me nothing will every replace the pleasure of the written word on paper....be it a printed book or a penned manuscript or an ancestors diary. The feel, the touch and smell of the book is unsurpassed.

I particularly like to read a book that has been read before....with dogeared pages, notes in the margin, name on the title page. Like Whitman tells in his Leaves of Grass, the author of the book I'm holding is speaking to me from times past and from his/her experience.....

Sentimental? Probably. But, I adore books. I come from a family of avid readers, some authors, a few journalists.....and my shelves runneth over!!!:o

You won't be able to order books from outside the US. I tried last month to order in the UK, and got nothing.

Johnjen --

You should be able to order the books on amazon dot com on your computer (their kindle books section) and then you can USB port them to the kindle (I spent an unholy amount of time researching the Kindle online last night:o )

So happens I have my Kindle here with me today (forgot it under the desk while charging) so I took it outside for a look in the balmy sunshine here today. No negative effect from direct sunlight at all. The eInk is very visible in direct sunlight and there is some glare if the screen is angled just so but otherwise there is no glare at all as the screen on the Kindle is more of a matte finish. I was poking around online yesterday and saw some entrepreneurial person has started selling non-glare films for the Kindle screen; for me I don't think it needs it from my 5 second experiment. :D

E-Bay also has a ton of different types of accesories; just search Amazon Kindle...LOADS of items:)

And on the cruise side, I am now going to be using my Kindle onboard four months earlier, as we jumped on one of the new sailings for the Solstice as she is ahead of schedule -- Whooppeeeeeee!!!!!

Have fun, and we can't wait to be on her in March!

I've got the new Sony on back order. I get very annoyed with companies such as Amazon that operate in Canada but don't make their products available here. Also Sony is the same price in the US as Canada. After lugging around the 1000 + page The Pillars of the Earth to Hawaii, I'm definitely looking for something "lighter".

I've got the new Sony on back order. I get very annoyed with companies such as Amazon that operate in Canada but don't make their products available here. Also Sony is the same price in the US as Canada. After lugging around the 1000 + page The Pillars of the Earth to Hawaii, I'm definitely looking for something "lighter".

Congrats!! Post when you get it.

I've been loading free books all day. I like mysteries and there are a lot of free classics out there.

The Sony feels nice and sleek. It's thinner than a cell phone. You'll really like it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Peggy

Congrats!! Post when you get it.

I've been loading free books all day. I like mysteries and there are a lot of free classics out there.

The Sony feels nice and sleek. It's thinner than a cell phone. You'll really like it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Peggy

Awesome, thanks

Archived