New cruiser has questions

patches12

I finally found and paid for a cruise. Now I need help deciding what else to do next. Here are my thoughts....I know I am going to miss something so I need everyone's help with what I am missing.

7 night cruise from San Juan, July 2008.

St. Thomas, Domina, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St.Kitts

1. flight and hotel the day before/after the cruise. How do I find cheapest?

2. travel insurance....for anyone, any age, really necessary?

3. should I pre-pay for the tips? Buy Carnival credit before?

4. Excursions....go on my own, OR Carnival's, OR online companies?

5. Any excursion suggestions?

6. Transfers? Cheapest way?

Thank you for your help for this first time cruiser! I am so lost.

Patches12

I finally found and paid for a cruise. Now I need help deciding what else to do next. Here are my thoughts....I know I am going to miss something so I need everyone's help with what I am missing.

--- We do priceline or similar. Research info at the local ports info here in CC.

--- I say yes. It covers trip cancellation, medical / accidents, medevac etc. It runs about 5% or so of trip cost so it's just the cost of a cruise to me.

--- Makes no difference, your call.

--- For first timer, I say book through Carnival.

--- research the internet and CC to see what's offered to meet your tastes.

--- I've found local transportation is typically best and cheapest. Either airport shuttles or cabs.

Patches12

On my first cruise, I was pretty clueless as well and did things that may have not been the cheapest but the easiest. Now since I know the ropes, I do things a bit differently. Good luck and have fun.

In Dominica we had a great private tour just the 2 of us for about $70. ask for Campbell

Nice A/C car.

Beautiful island

You can do a search in the Port of call section for recommended tour guides or just ask at the dock for taxi tours be sure to agree on a price before you get in

CIMG1002.jpg.065ef43cb9065d83fcd9894580d773f6.jpg

Patches12

1) Kayak or expedia worked well for us. We always check he airline's own site after seing what comes up on these searches. If its a major carrier and offered directly thru their own site, book the carrier is always better as you avoid the additional fees

2) Its insurance, are you are your travling group likely to have umm accidents or unforseen issues to cause you to miss the trip. If you already booked the cruise without insurance I'm not sure if the insuring the flight and not the cruise makes sense.

3) The only advantage I see with prepay is if you have limited credit and/or need to spread the expenses thru a larger time window.

4) On your own, or idepedent are always cheaper and have more options. They require more research ( this board is great for that ). If you are a newbie or a big worrier then the cruise sponsored are smart/best option. Our first two cruises we did everything with cruise sponsored but were aware we were paying a lot more.

5) Haven't been to any of those places, but they sound fun

6) My experience here is if you are going directly from boat or to the boat the cruise arranged one works most conveneient. Anytime you are doing extended pre/post I like controling the details. Every situation is a bit different. You have to decide between cost and convenience, rarely do the best cost also mean the most convenienty.

Happy planning!

As far as insurance--if you can afford to lose the money you've spent on this trip, then you don't NEED it--if your medical insurance covers you while not in the country, you don't NEED it, either! (Travel ins. and medical supplements aren't the same thing!)

It really depends on your finances!

Hi,

On a cruise last November we visited all but one of your ports of call (we didn't visit St. Thomas). But at all the other ports we generally did our own thing.

Oh, St. Lucia, we did a P&O arranged tour: a catamaran trip to see the Pitons. Not recommended :( . It felt as though we were on a coach tour and unfortunately the weather was not good that day. Probably the worst tour we have ever done both in terms of value and experience.

If you are brave enough to do stuff on your own, we shared a taxi with friends in Antigua and went to Dark Wood beach. That was v nice! (But don't tell anyone or it will be crowded next time we go :D )

On a previous stop off in Barbados we did the Yacht Challenge tour (again with P&O). This was probably the best ever tour we have done, and although a little pricey, was really exciting as we were in one of those round the world yachts racing against another boat. It also gave us a good view of the coastline that we would otherwise have missed, and the post race party was good fun too.

Hope you have a great cruise! Just try not to stress out about the arrangements before you get there ;)

Amanda

Thank you all for those helpful suggestions! I am not so much a worrier, as a planner or overplanner. I hate being unprepared! I have more questions if anyone is interested!

1. Dining- pros and cons- early vs late seating. (Is it for breakfast too?)

2. My husband hates to be lost...really stresses out at Disney World. :)

I am thinking about bringing walkie-talkies so he can always find me!

I promise I do NOT hide on purpose!:D Would they be useful or just

dead weight in the luggage? Maybe after he has to carry it

everywhere he goes, he won't worry about it anymore. He will be

having too much fun. I hope.

3. I assume it is fine to leave valuables in the stateroom: cameras,

jewelry, money, credit cards, etc. Am I right? They wouldn't stay in

business long would they?

4. What about cameras, money, credit cards on the beach or on

excursions? Difficult to watch your stuff on the beach or snorkeling

boat if you are face down in the water. What do you do?

5. Do you have to take your passport if you leave the ship? southern

caribbean route..St Thomas, Barbados, Antigua, Dominica, St Lucia, &

St. Kitts. Can you just take a copy?

Like I said....over preparer! When I finally go on the cruise, I am ready to relax! No more thinking! (That is the teacher in me! I need a break from planning and preparing all school year:p .

Thanks again!

Patches12

to answer a couple of your questions, dinner is the only assigned seating. You can go to breakfast and lunch whenever you want. As far as early or late dining, it depends on your internal timeclock. Late dining is less of an interference into your time in ports and activities, but for me, the one time I tried it, it was just too late. Finishing dinner at 10:30 or so, i was so sleepy I could hardly stay awake!

There is a safe in almost staterooms,(Monarch of the Seas was our only exception in our nine cruises),and we have always left money, jewelry, passports and other valuables without a worry or a problem. You do not need to take your passport ashore, but for some ports you do need a picture ID (your driver's licence, for example.) I always have a copy of my passport in ports with me, but it is not really necessary.

Thank you all for those helpful suggestions! I am not so much a worrier, as a planner or overplanner. I hate being unprepared! I have more questions if anyone is interested!

Like I said....over preparer! When I finally go on the cruise, I am ready to relax! No more thinking! (That is the teacher in me! I need a break from planning and preparing all school year:p .

Thanks again!

Patches12

1) Late dining allows for leisure afternoon, snacking, late excursions with time to have a drink before dinner. The minus is you don't finish till 10, will miss the early shows. Makes for getting up early for a long leisure full breakfast a challange. Early dinner makes sense if you have young children or love to rise for a full breakfast.

2) Walkie Talkies are hit or miss, with all the steel you'll need a higher power expensive model. Beware that US frequency and foreign citizen frequencies are often different and could technically be illegal. Never heard or seen anyone get arrested, but have seen anoyed people look at people with screeching walkie talkies.

3) There is a safe on all ships I've been on, never had my computer or other larger valuable like camera get umm lost in my room. But I wouldn't leave jewelry, money, or credit card laying around, those go in the safe.

4) There are nice plastic waterproof carriers with laynards that are sold on board and in ports, you can also get them before you go for cheaper. I really have no tip for cameras ( get a waterproof one, Olympus 850W? ) or a case and take it with you. I do see lots of people leave bags on beaches, just be sure you don't leave the valuable stuff in it. IN reality there are only a few things you need to take on excursion; cruise card, money, credit card, camera/video, extra clothes, water. Everythign is expendible and the few things that aren't can go in a good ziplock bag in your pocket.

5) Passport usually stays on the boat and with the pursur. All you need is usually our cruise card and second form of ID.

Happy planning

We've never had our passport collected in the Caribbean, just in Europe.

We take copies of our passport ashore with us and leave the originals in the safe. We also take the cruise line ship's agent information with us in case of problems in port. Also, make copies of your credit card and leave one at home with someone you trust, and before you go, do let your card company know that you will be out of the country and what ports you will be in. Most Caribbean ports take US dollars but you can exchange your US currancy for local at ATMs on shore. Puerto Rico and Dt. Thomas is US, so no problem there.

We loved the rain forest tram tour on Domenica.

Have a great cruie!

GN

I use AAA for hotels - I'm usually looking for a hotel with a free shuttle and possibly free breakfast. Bonus points if it's walking distance to major sights. I never use the blind auctions; I want to know exactly where I'll be before I commit to it.

Flights - once you've found the flights you think you want using a consolidator, go to that airline's website to see if you can save a bit more. Usually you can, tho it may not be significant. Be sure to check baggage rules before booking so you know if you will have to pay for the bags you plan to take, and how much.

Definitely check ports of call section on this board and do some other port research. once you've made a list of things you'd like to do in port, weight the cost vs benefit of booking privately or thru the ship. First time would prob'ly be simplest thru the ship, and you can't go wrong that way, but it is more expensive.

We did the Caribbean in February 2007 with Princess. In St Thomas my boyfriend did a helicopter flight, something he had always wanted to do. I just lazed on the boat and waited for him to come back and we then got a taxi to the shopping area. In Barbados we did a Jolly Roger pirate party - this was a trip through Princess but I'm sure they can be booked independently. Lots of music, dancing and rum punch. We went up into the rainforest in St Lucia which was very nice but I wish we had had more time to see more of the island. In Antigua we jumped in a mini bus with about 8 other people. The taxis were waiting outside the port. We visited Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard, which I can thoroughly recommend. We then went to Dark Wood beach for a couple of hours - bliss. This, along with St Lucia, was one of our favourite stops. Again, in St Kitts we jumped in a taxi with some other people and had a drive round the island. We visited quite a few places, can't remember the names but did enjoy it. Don't be worried about doing trips independently. We had never cruised before and were very worried about the ship leaving us, but it was fine. When using taxis, agree a price before getting in. If they are just dropping you off somewhere, agree a time for them to come and collect you and they usually let you pay for the whole trip when they pick you up.

Get a passport. It's not required for cruises right now - but if something happens and you have to fly home, you can't get back in the USA via air without a passport. That means wherever you get off the boat, you need to find a US Embassy and get an emergency passport (time and money intensive). Spend the $100/pp and not have to worry bout it.

Patches12

I see people talk about taking a copy of passport onshore with them and leaving orginal on the boat - can't figure out why - you would only need your passport if you got left behind - and you can't get back into the USA with a copy - so I don't see any point.

Thanks again!

Patches12

I see people talk about taking a copy of passport onshore with them and leaving orginal on the boat - can't figure out why - you would only need your passport if you got left behind - and you can't get back into the USA with a copy - so I don't see any point.

It is easier to have that passport, emergency or otherwise, replaced if you had an emergency ashore, that is why. The ship has held our passports last two times in Europe. We were told that if we wanted them to go ashore, we would have to clear customs personally, so, we took a copy. No, you can't fly with it, but the embassy can help get another in case of emergency.

I typed this 3 times but it kept going out. Hope it didn't get posted 3 times.

more questions!

1. Tips= 3 adults x 7 nights = $210.00. More cash for extra tips. Any more cash needed?

2. Drink prices- Beer $, daiquiri $. We don't drink much, but would like to try some new icy/slushy drinks! Any suggestions! Prices low to high?

3. Last minute cruise-paid in full. Too late for insurance?

4. 1st day routine? Drills? How and when will I know what to do?

5. Bring extra wire hangers? 8-C cabin in the back.

6. San Juan embarkation- Time to get on? Earliest? Latest? Can I take luggage on board and get back off to see San Juan?

7. How is luggage delivered? Based on who came on first? Do they deliver by one level at a time? How long will it take?

8. Choosing fllights- One day ahead and get motel in San Juan or Old San Juan? What about arriving in San Juan around 5:30 A.M.? Would that be good enough or should we be there day before. We can take a flight from U.S. at midnight and fly overnight to San Juan. Visit town then board ship. Too risky?

9. Husband won't wear tux..says it is his vacation too! Is sport coat and tie necessary? Can he just wear polo or dress shirt with slacks and no tie?

Thanks Again in advance!

You think if you are unfortunant enough to miss the boat and be stuck in some foreign land that when you wander into the local American Embassy having a copy with your passport info might be handy? For a 25cent copy folded in your copy I say its worth having that little extra info. :D

I always travel with a xerox of my passport. If it was lost or stolen, having the number, date it was issued, etc., can help speed the process of getting a replacement.

1. Tips= 3 adults x 7 nights = $210.00. More cash for extra tips. Any more cash needed?

If you feel like you had extra special service, by all means acknowledge the server!

2. Drink prices- Beer $, daiquiri $. We don't drink much, but would like to try some new icy/slushy drinks! Any suggestions! Prices low to high?

Wow, I think our last one in November, beer prices were around $4, drinks went all the way to $10.50 with the average foo foo drink being between $6-$8. I really love the chocolate martini!

3. Last minute cruise-paid in full. Too late for insurance?

I think you can still purchase insurance. Try insure my trip dot com

4. 1st day routine? Drills? How and when will I know what to do?

Drill is usually right after sailing. Instructions are on the back of your cabin door and in the daily activities. Plus, you will hear the announcements.

5. Bring extra wire hangers? 8-C cabin in the back.

What for? Your cabin steward can get you as many hangers as you need

6. San Juan embarkation- Time to get on? Earliest? Latest? Can I take luggage on board and get back off to see San Juan?

I have never embarked in San Juan, but I would imagine it's about the same as FL.

7. How is luggage delivered? Based on who came on first? Do they deliver by one level at a time? How long will it take?

They sort it by decks and deliver all at the same times. There are stewards on every deck delivering luggage

8. Choosing fllights- One day ahead and get motel in San Juan or Old San Juan? What about arriving in San Juan around 5:30 A.M.? Would that be good enough or should we be there day before. We can take a flight from U.S. at midnight and fly overnight to San Juan. Visit town then board ship. Too risky?

I would do it, many others would not (we have done the redeye a few times 2004 & 2006). I like being in a day early now. This way, you are well rested before you board.

9. Husband won't wear tux..says it is his vacation too! Is sport coat and tie necessary? Can he just wear polo or dress shirt with slacks and no tie?

Yes, but I would choose an alternate dining location if you are sailing with a line that has a formal night. Who are you sailing with?

Thank you!

We are on the Carnival Destiny. I just found out embarkation is at 10:00 p.m. For some reason I thought the drills would be BEFORE we left port. Now that I know we leave at 10:00 p.m., that would be rather late to have a drill. I know nothing about cruising! :) :)

I had read posts where some people said to bring extra wire hangers or have clothes already hung up on wire hangers. I have to find some if I bring some.

Chocolate martini?? Sounds good! The only reason I am leaning toward the red-eye flight is because I am having a difficult time finding a hotel where I want it that I can afford. Not many hotels in Old San Juan. I may have to take what I can get....

Thanks again

Thank you!

We are on the Carnival Destiny. I just found out embarkation is at 10:00 p.m. For some reason I thought the drills would be BEFORE we left port. Now that I know we leave at 10:00 p.m., that would be rather late to have a drill. I know nothing about cruising! :) :)

I had read posts where some people said to bring extra wire hangers or have clothes already hung up on wire hangers. I have to find some if I bring some.

Chocolate martini?? Sounds good! The only reason I am leaning toward the red-eye flight is because I am having a difficult time finding a hotel where I want it that I can afford. Not many hotels in Old San Juan. I may have to take what I can get....

Thanks again

Then you'll probably have the drill the following day. Packing extra hangers are packing extra weight. It is nice just to take the cloths out of the suitcase and hang them up, but I just wouldn't bother with this one.

As for the tie, tux, etc, I know I will hear about this, but you'll see a lot of different combinations on the Destiny, so if DH wants to leave the tie home, I would say let him..... I would do the red eye and I bet they will take your bags at the pier...........Why not call Carnival and ask?

In all of the cruises that we've taken in the Caribbean (6), the muster drill is before you set sail. I don't think they can sail if they haven't informed passengers how to react and where to go in an emergency. Am I wrong about that??

Archived