Wine Package (over) Analysis

Because there were 4 of us on our recent 7-day cruise, we got 4 buy 1 get 20% off coupons and I still had one from my Enchantment cruise. Since I knew which wines we were going to get for the 3 of us dinner wine drinkers, I did the math and decided that it was better to go that route instead of the wine and dine package. This worked out especially well when it seems that they accidentally served the last two glasses of my DH's Riesling to someone else and gave him a whole new bottle in apology.

I think I did what you suggested (and fixed the typo). The trouble is when I print it it's tough to see the little negatives.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad it's useful.

No problem.

You Rock! This is probably the best analysis of the Wine Packages I've EVER seen. I think the improvements made in v.2 (including the anti-savings in red) makes your analysis even more useful.

Thanks!!!

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that. I would say glancing at it that the Gold looks like about the best one. The others do not offer much real saving apparently. It just kills me to pay $25.00 for a $12.00 bottle of wine.;)

I'd like to echo the thanks to you Woof22, great work! As we only drink a couple of the selections, it is the Gold for us (not spendthrifts, we just are set in our ways in what we drink at dinner!) we normally treat ourselves in Vintages later!

Any chance you're cruising before us in 2009 (Sept) and can repeat the exercise so we know what to pre-order next year? - I'm joking honestly!:D

Thanks again!

Woof22: What a truely amazing job you did. Thank you so much!!! We appreciate all the time and effort you spent in compiling the information for your fellow cruisers. If we ever sail together, 1st bottle is on me:D

Smooth sailings everyone,

Marcia

Woof...at first i thought you had too much free time on your hands...BUT darn...THAT is MAJORYLY helpful....mom and i thank you many times over...

i already saved a copy to bring with!! And BTW, just being the random wine pickers that we are, mom and i made some pretty good deals!!!!

thanks again!!!:D that was a fantastic job and should be stickied at the top of the board!

Critterchick -- your list has Barbera D'asta Banfi and a Ruffinio Chianti Classico -- both of which were not carried on on FOS cruise and we have not seen the Barbera since 2007. Would be great if RCI really has these wines on our 8/17 Mariner cruise.

Where did you get the 20% coupon? Is it in the gold book?

Because there were 4 of us on our recent 7-day cruise, we got 4 buy 1 get 20% off coupons and I still had one from my Enchantment cruise. Since I knew which wines we were going to get for the 3 of us dinner wine drinkers, I did the math and decided that it was better to go that route instead of the wine and dine package. This worked out especially well when it seems that they accidentally served the last two glasses of my DH's Riesling to someone else and gave him a whole new bottle in apology.

Dewd, you have got wwaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands. Good job, though. :)

Great job and I appreciate the time it took:D . Thanks, this will come in handy in just 12 days!!

Katink

Great analysis! The one thing about the package is that it keeps us from being tempted to order a $40 or $50 bottle of wine with dinner. So, while the dollar savings may not be tremendous on the listed selections, in our case, it probably saved us on our overall wine purchases. If left to order freely, our average bottle price would likely be $35 +/- as opposed to the $27.

Mike

Where did you get the 20% coupon? Is it in the gold book?

20% is for Diamond. If I recall correctly it is 15% for Platinum and 10% for Gold.

To woof22 and Jean (critterchick) - thanks for your combined efforts. This is a very useful tool and I agree with the PP who said it should be a sticky at the top of the page!

And for those who seem to think the Gold is the best bargain because you can "lose" money in the higher tiers. The Gold is the best option if those are the only wines you would order. You get better values on the upper tiers if you order the wines added to those tiers. In other words, don't buy Diamond and only order wines you could get on the Gold package. That is where you would lose money. Make sense?

Woof22.

Thanks for going through the numbers. Though I usually just order a glass for dinner I may just go with a 5 bottle package next cruise and at the rate of 3-4 glasses per night should make my way through the package, though perhaps not back to my cabin.

• 4 months later...

Thanks again!

when I first saw this (way back when) I just bookmarked it as my cruise on the Mariner seemed FOREVER away! :(

Well, it's finally close to my cruise and now I'm doing my research and decision making and I appreciate all the work you put into this!!!:D

Wow! I can't believe you did this for all of us out here in cruise critic land. We have always gotten the Platinum for the Cline but we may venture out in December and try other varieties. Thanks for making this available to all of us. BTW, on our last two 3 nighters, we were able to order a 3 bottle pkg after we got onboard. I think it was like $77 for the platinum. One bottle did two of us through the meal and walked out with a glass afterward. Very nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

fellow winos ,

does anyone have any comments as to the quality of these wines?

For myself, I have greatly enjoyed the Rioja (platinum & diamond packages only).... I know all wine taste is subjective but I'd love all opinions, it might help me with selections with my upcoming 9-day Explorer cruise!

thanks!

Archived