how important is formal wear?

LFCNUT

We are seriously contemplating a S.America cruise with Oceania but are not really into travelling with all the excess baggage a tux/evening gown entails,especially with the new airline restrictions on baggage allowances.

We are not interested in staying in our suite and ordering room service on formal nights as we both enjoy dining room/specialty restaurant dining.

How strict is the dress policy on Oceania-I have no problem with a nice shirt/dress slacks-even a light sport coat. Will this be OK for "dress-up" nights on board?

I've taken a sports jacket (blazer) with me on our three Oceania trips, and only wore it once! That said, I will probably take one with me on our next Oceania cruise, on the off-chance we might get invited to dine with the Captain.

Not too many jackets worn by passengers on board - it is Country Club Casual every night!

To paraphrase FDR, if you wear a tux don't be surprised if you end up waiting in the GDR!

Have never, ever brought a jacket and don't ever intend to do so. That's why we sail on O.:D

Here goes a very unimportant question except maybe for me. I am going on the Regatta in November, transatlantic.

Do you remember if the breakfast buffets have smoked salmon in it. I love smoked salmon in eggs and on a bagel and my last three cruises cut that out.

In response to Lordofthe Seas and OrchestraPal:

I aplogise for wasting your time gentlemen but having tried search engines on this site to no avail I thought perhaps a posted question was not out of order.

To those that replied I thank you very much-my question has been answered in a very clear manner.

They don't even wear tuxes in The Terrace, and wait coats aren't tuxes either. So I think if you want to wear one, you might be forced to serve passengers and then lox and bagels are not available for your consumption. Of course, then you also would not be a guest on Decks 4 to 8...you'd be on Deck three and two....

You can have lox with a bagel or any number of other breads. You can have it in an omelet made to order, made from eggs or eggbeaters or egg whites, with oil or spray. Lastly you can add to your plate with up to 4 kinds of herring.

Fear not, your caloric intake will surely keep you from losing weight.

We took our first cruise on Oceania to the Mediterrean this past April and are booked again for next May. My husband did not pack a tie or a jacket and I did not even have a skirt or dress with me. We ate in the Grand Dining Room almost every evening and were quite comfortable in our slacks and shirts. There were no passengers on board who had on a tux or gown. Very casual.

Kathy,

Is there white meat tuna on the buffet?

Must be white meat.

The buffet is two sides and about 25 + feet long with all sorts of goodies

You could have a look on the Menus at O's website.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=c217827c-5695-4e5e-9574-cb1e333279eb&RestUID=914b9340-0a02-41d1-bfc1-8b512515d4be&MenuUID=f77bbed9-c02d-417f-9459-838796eee473

Jana,

Unless things have changed since Feb 2007, you can't have lox and bagel from Room Service in a "regular service" room.

The breakfast menu is strictly Continental - pastries, juice, fruit and the lovely European Style breakfast roll with jelly.

Many people did what we would do: order some things from Room Service and run up to the Terrace Cafe for the things that you couldn't get from Room Service. It got to be a bit of a joke on the elevators and stairs seeing what favorites we were carrying back to our rooms to "beat the Room Service delivery".

Connie

We were on Insignia for a May Med cruise. My husband did bring a navy blue blazer and wore it with khaki pants. He did wear a tie a few nights, especially at the captains reception and at the special restaurants. I did notice there was often "more dressy" attire at the special restaurants than the GDR. Some evenings, he just wore the jacket without the tie. I brought 1 pretty "dressy" dress, and a couple of dressy sundresses. Other than that, I usually wore black pants and a dressy tank top or halter. I was surprised that pax dressed up more than I thought from reading the posts on this board before I left, but that may be due to the age demographics on our cruise ( 70's - seemed to be average age) . It was actually fun to dress up like this, and go out to dinner. With kids, we don't always get the opportunity.

But- NO tuxes or very formal wear necessary, and nice pants/top is very appropriate.

Jana,

Unless things have changed since Feb 2007, you can't have lox and bagel from Room Service in a "regular service" room.

The breakfast menu is strictly Continental - pastries, juice, fruit and the lovely European Style breakfast roll with jelly.

Many people did what we would do: order some things from Room Service and run up to the Terrace Cafe for the things that you couldn't get from Room Service. It got to be a bit of a joke on the elevators and stairs seeing what favorites we were carrying back to our rooms to "beat the Room Service delivery".

Connie

Connie, thanks so much for your response! Man, CARNIVAL has lox and bagels (served with onions, capers and cream cheese) on its room service menu! Of course, they don't have the incredible croissants that O has.

Well, it isn't so easy for me, I walk with a cane and I am in 6001 at the bow, so if I go up to the cafe, I'll end up staying there. I don't think they serve bagels in Horizons for the early-riser's breakfast, but the other pastries are fresh and warm so I might end up there...

Thanks so much for the info!

Jana

Wasn't that a Big Bopper song from like 1959? Before he died, I mean...

Can I get lox and bagel in room service breakfast? Non-suite, regular service.

Jana

lol

Kiddo..you are the BEST!:cool:

Archived