Charging for a seat !

pinkbirds02

Just made reservations on Spirit Air from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise on the Crown in Nov. went to reserve seats for our flight and found that Spirit is now charging $10.00 for a window and $5.00 for an aisle seat. Whats next pay toilets?. This extra charging is getting out of hand! How about they charge you for a seat in the terminal? :mad:

Just made reservations on Spirit Air from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise on the Crown in Nov. went to reserve seats for our flight and found that Spirit is now charging $10.00 for a window and $5.00 for an aisle seat. Whats next pay toilets?. This extra charging is getting out of hand! How about they charge you for a seat in the terminal? :mad:

You think that is bad, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XvasXb3sdxU&feature=related

The first one is so true of today!

The second is kinda funny too. Its from the Carol Burnett show.

Little did we know then that it would be true today.

There have been times I would have paid a lot more than $5.00 for an aisle seat!!

I'm all legs, and it is very hard to be in a middle seat or a window seat.

Unfortunately, I often cannot afford to pay 1st class, or even Business class, particularly on a long-haul overseas flight.

So WHY are you posting this as a Princess thread - it has nothing to do with Princess!

What difference does it make if they posted it on the Princess thread. It is information I for one would be interested in. Thanks for posting.:)

So WHY are you posting this as a Princess thread - it has nothing to do with Princess!

Because the OP stated they are going on the Crown Princess...so it actually does have something to do with Princess.

You do know they charge for checked luggage right? $15 if you do it online for the first, $25 if you do it at the airport.

CHECKED BAG CHARGES

Effective June 20, 2008 1st BAG 2nd BAGS 3rd BAGS

Checked Baggage Fee $15 Online $25 Online $100 Online

$25 Airport $25 Airport $100 Airport

Overweight

(51- 70 lbs. / 23.13 – 31.75 kg) $ 50.00

Overweight

(71 – 99 lbs. / 32.20 – 44.90 kg) $100.00

Oversized

(62+ linear inches / 158+ cm) $100.00

Oversized

(80+ linear inches / 203+ cm) $150.00

I heard this was coming down the road. I just did not realize that road was soooo short!!! Leaving on a cruise from New york is looking more and more appealing since I live in CT!!! When I last flew we were able to pick our seats still with out a charge and the only worry was if someone sat between us as my friedn booked the aisle and I booked the window hoping no one would book in between us(used to work just fine every time)

I think this was already discussed last week over on the Cruise air board. I noticed the OP just brought it up today but thought I saw another post on this subject. Hey I am really not surprised. They are already not giving us free sodas(will be a charge) and frankly the aisle seats are very popular. The days of flying of old are long gone.

marilyn

It has EVERYTHING to do with Princess since we cruise twice per year and Spirit and NWA are the two main carrier's out of Detroit to most of the cruise ports it is of enterest to me and all people who use them also I don't trust the airline choosing our seats, I really want to sit next to a screaming kid and my wife is put ten rows away next people she doesnt know Ya you go ahead and let them choose for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately for some there are alternatives and ours was Amtrak to New York to catch the Crown. Imagine taking your seat and the trip begins immediately, not one or two hours later. We had forgotten how much fun there can be in the extra time needed in using this service like playing cards, having lunch and placing your legs up for a snooze. And you get to enjoy seeing something other than clouds and luggage conveyor belts. A service whose time has come AGAIN!

Very rude comment! It has everything to do with Princess if you plan on flying to your departure port. It's useful news to me.

Are they changing their name to A La Carte Airline?

:rolleyes:

Passengers buying a premium seat in the front of the plane can choose their seat in advance on the Web with no additional fee, as the cost of the seat assignment is included in the more expensive ticket price.

No win situation....:cool:

Very rude comment! It has everything to do with Princess if you plan on flying to your departure port. It's useful news to me.
I disagree with you as it really doesn't have anything to do with Princess. While very useful news, it belongs in one of the other boards so that all those who might fly Spirit Airlines could be informed, regardless of the cruiseline.

Thank you for posting this information. I spent 1 hour at the Spirit counter this past Wednesday trying to find out what those advance seat assignment fees would be. None of the clerks or supervisors could tell what the fees are. Their website also stated there would be a fee for center and exit row seats. Do you happen to know what those fees are? Thanks again.

Just my 2 cents worth. I know they were suppose to start June 20th for the 15.00 a bag on line but I booked it yesterday online and it was still 10.00 a bag. A few others had also recieved that after I told them. So try to book it online as soon as possible.

Dawn

Fortunately for some there are alternatives and ours was Amtrak to New York to catch the Crown. Imagine taking your seat and the trip begins immediately, not one or two hours later. We had forgotten how much fun there can be in the extra time needed in using this service like playing cards, having lunch and placing your legs up for a snooze. And you get to enjoy seeing something other than clouds and luggage conveyor belts. A service whose time has come AGAIN!

That's what I am going to do and that is either take the train to LA or go by Greyhound. For one thing the cost, to fly roundtrip to LA for 2 is close to $1,000.00, to go by Amtrak (with a room) round trip is $354.00 and to go by Greyhound is only $154.00 round trip for 2. Big difference in prices. If we go by Greyhound, we would leave at 7:30 at night and get into Long Beach at 8:30 the next morning, same with Amtrak. At least we do not have to worry about bad weather, planes running late or flights being cancelled due to bad weather. I really feel that if airlines keep this up they are going to put themselves right out of business.

You are so right -- I just adore taking the train. Of course, I've only done it between Richmond and DC or DC and New York, but I'd not hesitate to take it in other areas. Hmm, leaving from FLL this winter . . . I wonder. . . .

Also, if you fly a cheap-fare airline like Spirit, you can expect hassles with advance seat assignments, if you even get them at all... You get what you pay for.

Archived