My trip from HAL (very long) and some final words for you all

Alaskabound77

Somehow Unless you ask everyone to cover up everything but their right eye or to try to look like a blurry ghost, there is no way that anyone will find us based on those ship photos. .

The photo wasn't blurry, it was your aura and the Cherrios were not to be found, as they were all 'teaming up together' to form a BIG halo because you are most definitely a Saint ...

Was that the review from South America? I seem to remember a real interesting one...one that had a ship hitting something and then having to stay in port an extra day.

Actually it was a year or two previous to that but both were an excellent read. In any case, Alaskabound77 is one of the best writers ever on this forum and I hope she continues to post.:D

You guys are so sweet. Here is a link to the Worst Cruise ever review. But you also have to check out the youtube video of it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vveUqR6Yphs

Thanks for the compliments to my writing. The thread was supposed to be called My trip from HALL but I messed that up (probably would have gotten more traffic). It's funny because my sister is actually the writer in the family. I'm just a number girl (finance) and DH is in management consultant (IT systems). Speaking of the systems, we were all laughing again when my mom received an invitation to the Mariner's Meeting to get her 25 day pin and my dad was not invited. My mom hasn't been on a cruise ship to save her life but decided that she would indeed be attending if she could get a free glass of wine. So she and my sister went and then she proceeded to ask questions like, "So what does HAL stand for anyway?" and "How do I get off this silly ship?". Of course, it was clear to all that she had never been on a ship before and my sister snuck to the corner in the room in total embarrassment.

Okay - you're not going to believe this ... and I hope it doesn't cause you to believe that the cruise ship itself had something against you ... but we were on the 8th floor, same ship and cruise dates as yours, our cabin next to the mid-ship elevators (so we almost always used one of those 6 elevators), and we never once experienced this problem.

Wait, I just realized that you said "given the randomness of four elevators" ... if you are actually refering to the aft elevators closer to your cabin then that would make sense - we never took that set of elevators.

I'm telling you, I had no idea where I was on this ship half the time. I'm sure it was the aft elevators and I just went for the first elevators I could find. But I'm not making this up. I couldn't make it up! The silly thing is that it took until Day 6 for me to just realize that I could just walk up the stairs with my Neptune Lounge tray.

You guys are so sweet. Here is a link to the Worst Cruise ever review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082

Indeed it was NCL. Here is my favorite quote from that report:

"So there we sat. A free open bar, lights ablaze, and the band playing on while we noted that our ship now held the record for the most Japanese tonnage sunk since 1945."

I was looking for that one recently ... they hit a cargo carrier, knocked some cars into the water, blocking the entrance to the port ... had to go back to port once it was cleared for repairs ... with a new captain lost power at sea ... anyone have a link to that one? It's the only story on these forums beside this one that made me laugh while still feeling the pain of the traveler.

That's the one I was thinking about. :) I just noticed that Alaskabound77 posted it on the previous page.

Actually it was a year or two previous to that but both were an excellent read. In any case, Alaskabound77 is one of the best writers ever on this forum and I hope she continues to post.:D

I agree...I think Alaskabound77's review was really great...and I hope she continues to post. :)

My mom hasn't been on a cruise ship to save her life but decided that she would indeed be attending if she could get a free glass of wine. So she and my sister went and then she proceeded to ask questions like, "So what does HAL stand for anyway?" and "How do I get off this silly ship?". Of course, it was clear to all that she had never been on a ship before and my sister snuck to the corner in the room in total embarrassment.

That's a hoot! :)

I think you should submit your review to one of the cruise magazines. You should also print off a copy and put it in your kids' baby books.

I have to ask... after reading this review... is this the same HAL I've read so much good stuff about?

Are the eggs really POWDERED??

I've never cruised HAL... and have a 30 day cruise starting in 75 days... OMG! :eek: I hope none of the days even come close to this story!

Yes, unfortunately, I remember those powdered eggs on the Westerdam in May! :p Reminded me of the college cafeteria. Yuck!

I had forgotten about those. Not a high point of breakfast.

YUCK is right!! do they have omelette stations on HAL that use REAL eggs?

I have to ask... after reading this review... is this the same HAL I've read so much good stuff about?

Are the eggs really POWDERED??

I've never cruised HAL... and have a 30 day cruise starting in 75 days... OMG! :eek: I hope none of the days even come close to this story!

I think most places that serve scrambled eggs in mass quantities use the powdered variety. On our recent cruise, I did not know for sure, but assumed they were. Therefore I had my eggs to order, and I enjoyed them very much. We also had a couple of breakfasts in the dining rooms, which is a nice option. We were happy with the food, but then I am not all that hard to please. It amazed me how food was always served warm and it is well presented. Yes, it is banquet food, but I would say excellent banquet food. Much better than I am used to getting at a typical banquet type affair. We were happy.

Have a great 30 day cruise!! May your journey be fun, and safe!

The ship didn't leave early ... it left at almost precisely 4pm PST (I was also on the cruise). But, they did raise the gangplank early - presumably because the coast guard requires a list of all passengers 60 to 90 minutes before departure, and to allow time for the mandatory muster drill prior to departure. By the 3:35 that Alaskabound77 mentioned they were likely well into their preparations for departure; but the ship was physically still at the pier.

The list is actually transmitted to Homeland Security electronically, 90 minutes before sailing. Supposedly, no one is able to check in after this point, one point not clear is on line check in, that seems to count on the list so they shouldn't be raising the gangplank early for this reason, many of the people on that flight had probably checked in that way.

As to purchasing air through HAL and what it gets you... If your flight is delayed, they will do their best to get you on the ship but not necessarily at the original embarkation point. If there are a lot of people involved they might delay departure a few minutes but that is not the norm. About two and a half years ago we were on the Oosterdam in October and there were 100s of people flying to San Diego for a large group onboard from the northeast and they were in a world of trouble weather wise. The ship did not wait, they sent the passengers on to Cabo from San Diego and the ship docked to pick them up despite the fact we were not going in to Cabo due to Hurricane Paul. I will never forget that port call, we just went back and forth to Cabo for one reason after the other until they finally decided about noon we would go ahead and stay in Cabo for the day anyway.

I have seen the eggs at the buffet, ;they are not 'powdered', but still taste like they could be !! The are a liquid 'egg product' that comes in a 1/2 gallon carton (like a milk carton).

They were using this stuff at the omelet station, too. I always requested 'real' eggs and that's what they gave me.

MaryAnn

Great story telling (even though it really happened). And a great attitude.

Chef Andreas is good (I think he is still on the Westerdam) but what is up with the Onion Soup on Westerdam? It is horrible. It is not French Onion. It is broth with a piece of bread on top. It was so odd because we rated every other soup "Excellant". I can't believe a year later they have not gone on the internet and found another recipe...

Ok, I know it was not HAL's fault that you missed the ship (always fly in a day early), but exactly what time were the cabins empty? If it were me I would be on the phone directly with the person at HAL (whose business card you have) and let them know there was someone in your beds!!!! What did they say? They owe you the half day not covered by you travel insurance but will say cabins are not officially ready until 12:00pm or whatever...

And, which insurance did you have and did it cover a plane delay? What if it was for weather, etc.?

This honestly sounds like every cruisers nightmare... You did well to stay so positive throughout the ordeal... I do hope you cruise again as your story is one that will definitely keep all you meet rivetted...

On an aside, I have to agree with you about Thrifty in Seattle which has a somewhat monopoly on the cruisers from that end of town (ie, HAL and Princess). We also ended up with a fuel guzzler (SUV), and an overcharge which upon being noticed, could not be settled due to the computer being down. As the charge had already been made, we had to wait until the following week for a refund to be made. I did not think much of it till I read your review....:rolleyes:

The ship didn't leave early ... it left at almost precisely 4pm PST (I was also on the cruise). But, they did raise the gangplank early - presumably because the coast guard requires a list of all passengers 60 to 90 minutes before departure, and to allow time for the mandatory muster drill prior to departure. By the 3:35 that Alaskabound77 mentioned they were likely well into their preparations for departure; but the ship was physically still at the pier.

However, I'm also surprised that the ship wasn't held for the numbers of passengers who were delayed - especially as some reportedly booked through the cruise line. Given the obvious security loopholes mentioned in this thread, there must surely be loopholes that would also permit boarding after the initial window to get the passenger list to the coast guard has passed.

I really meant to say that the ship left before the late flying passengers, that they knew about, got to the ship. The ship left on time but could have waited a couple more hours, if HAL really cared about their reputation. 10 years ago on my one and only Carnival cruise out of San Juan PR the ship sailed 8 hours late waiting for over 100 passengers who were stuck in Chicago in a blizzard. This cost us our first port stop in St Thomas and the cruise went downhill from there.

Wow! I'm just now catching up with this thread. You had me on the edge of my seat too, like everyone else. Thank you so much, you managed to keep your sense of humor (and what a writing style!) through all of that. I can't believe how many things went wrong, and yet you kept your grace and wit. I too laughed out loud several times.

I want to thank you too for drilling it into me to fly in the day before. You see, we have only taken cruises from our homeport of Seattle, or overseas, where we did fly in several days early. For our next cruise we'll be flying to Fort Lauderdale, and we were thinking we'd take the red-eye and arrive the morning of the cruise.......having second and third thoughts now for sure!

I'm about to head out for a 12 hour car ride (to Denver, coincidentally) with my family of four (myself, DH, DD8 and DS5), my sister and nephew (3, who gets carsick after an HOUR in the car). For a week of "family fun" with my dad (who lives in Westminster), my 82 year old grandma (who is flying in from NJ) and dad's new girlfriend. Recipe for disaster.

So...reading about your trip that became a comedy of errors not only was entertaining as heck, it actually made ME feel better about our prospects, LOL. We've got the seabands, barfbags and Benadryl lined up for my nephew, we're leaving at night (so hopefully the kids sleep most of the way) and the ipods, Gameboys and portable DVD players charged up and ready to roll. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the luggage thing we ordered for the top of the van holds the entire way, and we'll be fine (I may also pop a few Benadryl in an attempt to be unconscious til we hit Denver).

Thanks for sharing but I'm sorry you had such a memorable but crappy trip.

I want to thank you too for drilling it into me to fly in the day before. You see, we have only taken cruises from our homeport of Seattle, or overseas, where we did fly in several days early. For our next cruise we'll be flying to Fort Lauderdale, and we were thinking we'd take the red-eye and arrive the morning of the cruise.......having second and third thoughts now for sure!

Good idea, last year we took a HAL cruise that left the day after Thanksgiving and originally booked air flying in on Friday morning from Birmingham, AL. After we booked the cruise and our air, Delta cancelled the early morning flight from Bham to Atlanta and booked us on a flight that arrived in FL 3 hours after the ship was supposed to leave. If I had not checked online 4 weeks before we left I would not have found this change and I could have been in the same situation as the OP. When I called Delta we got the last 2 seats on Thanksgiving Day to FLL. Delta claimed they sent both a letter and email notifying us of the canceled Friday morning flights, but I never found either of them.

Alaskabound...What a fantastic & honest review! I felt so sorry for you & your family, especially when your DH said he heard you sobbing in bed..Then read on & found myself laughing with you..

Agree you should try to get your review published!

Thanks so much!

Cheers...:) Betty

Archived