Weak Drinks

Is it just me or are the RCI drinks noticibly weak?

It started on the Vision as we boarded. A bartender set up a stand in the Centrum selling frozen drinks. Vacation has started so I bought one each for my wife and I. Having been a while since I had eaten, I was expecting the first drink buzz but it never came. The same thing happened with rum and Cokes that evening. I ordered a beer later and ding, feeling good. This went on for a sea day. While at one of the pool bars I watched the bartender pour rum into a Mojito and he tilted the bottle for about a second and a half. I'm no bartender but I thought that regular spouts delivered liquor at about an shot per 6 seconds. I noticed the same pour timing on the waiters that sell frozen drinks around the pool.

I ended up buying bottled drinks for the rest of the cruise because I didn't want to pay full price for weak drinks.

Yea, I know that there are some of you that say that it's perfectly fine to serve weak drinks because they don't want drunk passengers but don't you think that there are better ways?

I have only ben on Grandeur of the Seas and each drink on there was quite strong. More than I expected. True, I don't drink normally. One or two drinks is enough to get me drunk/buzzed. One is enough on that ship to get me quite "happy".

I need them weak:D:D:D

But I suppose if you didn't like it, you could have asked for more alcohol in it. I would guess that they are told not to waste any, and to be on the conservative side when making drinks. That would be the nature of business I think. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Absolutely, we've been served very weak drinks occasionally. It depends on the bartender I guess. Most of the time the drinks are just fine, but a few times in the Savoy we ordered drinks that didn't taste like they had any alcohol in them at all. We actually sent those back and they doctored them up. Hey, at that price, I want what I paid for.

I've never been one to get much of a buzz from the fruity drinks... "but" I will say the bartender at the Solarium pool on AOs this year didn't pour a weak drink... my 1st Miami Vice left me with a definate buzz...guess where my favorite bar for the rest of the cruise was...:D

Not sure about the strength, but they glass sizes are definitely getting smaller; each time we bring home the souvenier glass it's smaller than the previous one.

Just tell the bartender how you like your drink mixed and you shouldn't have a problem.

I've not been served a weak drink on the 2 RCL cruises we have been on, but I just wanted to make a comment. I manage a restaurant and with our pour spouts (which are typical spouts), you get 1 1/2 oz of liquor in a 3 second pour. I do a 5 count pour for martinis only. Just want you to know so you didn't think you were getting screwed.

I have NEVER been served a weak drink on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Ditto! In fact, on the Enchantment we had a bartender who would add rum to our fruity drinks every time he walked by!

Is it just me or are the RCI drinks noticibly weak?

It started on the Vision as we boarded. A bartender set up a stand in the Centrum selling frozen drinks. Vacation has started so I bought one each for my wife and I. Having been a while since I had eaten, I was expecting the first drink buzz but it never came. The same thing happened with rum and Cokes that evening. I ordered a beer later and ding, feeling good. This went on for a sea day. While at one of the pool bars I watched the bartender pour rum into a Mojito and he tilted the bottle for about a second and a half. I'm no bartender but I thought that regular spouts delivered liquor at about an shot per 6 seconds. I noticed the same pour timing on the waiters that sell frozen drinks around the pool.

I ended up buying bottled drinks for the rest of the cruise because I didn't want to pay full price for weak drinks.

Yea, I know that there are some of you that say that it's perfectly fine to serve weak drinks because they don't want drunk passengers but don't you think that there are better ways?

Regular spouts deliver about a shot a second.

8 years, 6 cruises...in the beginning I thought each drink was fine...but then I started to notice that the fruity drinks are not strong and on some ships they did not have alcohol in them, it was added before serving...I don't really drink so when I do it is normally shooters after dinner, coffee drinks or martini's which are fine...

I thought the spouts on bottles were 3 seconds...per shot but I will post back after talking to one of my bartender sisters...or maybe they do 3 second shots...lol...either way taste is the best way to tell...dd and I like weaker drinks where my dh, ds, bil like strong drinks...it is all in the individual...

Not sure about the strength, but they glass sizes are definitely getting smaller; each time we bring home the souvenier glass it's smaller than the previous one.

Just tell the bartender how you like your drink mixed and you shouldn't have a problem.

We try to stay away from the plastic souvenier glasses b/c the collection just keeps growing and wedont know what to do with all of them! This year we only added one (didnt even want that one,lol) But, it was the same size as all the previous years :rolleyes: .

(ok how dumb, so now we have like 6 red, 6 blue, one ugly green and one ugly yellow-ish) lol

(they make my French Martinis great!!! as others said, if your drink tastes weak, ask for MORE)

I think it just depends on what drink you order, and where you order it from. I have found that the frozen drinks by the pool tend to be a little weak. We ordered almost all of our drinks in the evening from the Champagne Bar on Mariner, whether we were staying to drink in the bar or heading over to the theater. We had gotten to know the bartenders pretty well, and we knew they made good (strong) drinks - we were never disappointed. :)

It's like this everywhere. There are many tricks to ensure stronger drinks from the bars. Usually it only costs a couple of bucks at the start of the cruise. Come on....this is common knowledge.

We've been on the Radiance and the Freedom, and on both the drinks were weak - in different areas.......on the Freedom, the bar drinks were almost virgin....when I mentioned it the bartender fixed it....I'm with most...you shouldn't have to "ask" for a proper drink, not at almost 5 bucks a pop.

We've been on the Radiance and the Freedom, and on both the drinks were weak - in different areas.......on the Freedom, the bar drinks were almost virgin....when I mentioned it the bartender fixed it....I'm with most...you shouldn't have to "ask" for a proper drink, not at almost 5 bucks a pop.

Its all a matter of personal preferance. What one person thinks is a strong drink can seem weak to someone else. My sister is such an alcoholic :p that if her vodka cran isn't almost clear she thinks it is weak, where as I will never sip off her drinks because I think they are way too strong. Being from Vegas I know all about over priced weak drinks (one club in town charges $8 for a bottle of water and we're not talking abou evian), it's just the way it is, the bartenders aren't trying to cheat you they are just told to pour a certain way, but if you are nice about it and tip well they'll add a little extra to your drink for you.:D

We try to stay away from the plastic souvenier glasses b/c the collection just keeps growing and wedont know what to do with all of them! This year we only added one (didnt even want that one,lol) But, it was the same size as all the previous years :rolleyes: .

quote]

CruiseDiva why the sarcastic smiley, I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you kidding?

You have to ask to have your drinks poured properly? Do you have to ask to have your food cooked properly or your cabin cleaned properly? I suppose that this is common knowledge also.

In a perfect world, one wouldn't have to ask, but if it means the difference between feeling cheated and getting the drink the way you want it, then I say ask nicely, Host Mick.

Archived