For the health concious...just curious

jlc22043

So I've been really good lately about working out (4-5 times a week) but I still constantly fight food cravings. So my question is, how do you satisfy your cravings while cruising without completley going over board (pardon the pun)? For people who are active like me do you excercise while cruising and do you have to force yourself to do it everyday? I know everyone is different in their excercise habits, however I cruise in about 10 days and have not devised a plan on how to say "No" to the chocolate melting cake EVERYnight.

On a cruise I usually use the stairs only - no elevators. Believe it or not, this helps a lot. I also take an early morning walk around the track. I don't use the health club treadmills, etc. - would rather be out in the fresh air. As for desserts - it is a cruise - treat yourself a bit! Maybe lose a few lbs before you cruise, so you can enjoy the food without guilt. I also don't snack between meals on the cruise. The pizza and ice cream don't interest me. I'd rather save my calories for the real meals. I like the appetizers more than desserts, anyway!

I keep my workout schedule while I'm on the cruise (6 days a week). I don't set foot on the elevator except when I first board and have to take my carry-on up to Lido. For breakfast, I usually get an egg substitute omelet with veggies, fruit, and maybe a piece of bacon or sausage. I'll always make a salad at lunch with a drizzle of olive oil, and sample some of the other things, but keep my portions very limited. At dinner, I'll eat a full meal, but always order the veggies (a Carnival Classic). I'm unable to order the Spa selections most days because they're usually fish, and I'm severely allergic to fish. I will indulge more at dinner, and I'll eat half of my dessert.

My husband and I eat totally organic at home. We don't use any low fat or low cal food. We don't believe in it.. But what we do, do is have a very small portions. On one of my cruises I eat half the amount that was on the plate. And for lunch and breakfast the same thing. I would only dish up one spoon full of food and one small dessert. I had any thing I wanted just very small portions. And I didn't eat when I didn't need to.

Plus I did use the stairs a lot. I did use the elevator from time to time..

I think on that cruise I only gain about an pound or so and I think most of it was water weight.

Thanks chigirl for the tip regarding the egg substitute! I was trying to think of the the healthiest possible choices for the meals and that is definatley a good one. I'm definatley going to try and hit the gym however I am travelling alone with my 5 year old and I can only go when he is in Camp Carnival (if he goes). Plus it's a 5 day cruise with 3 ports...so hopefully I can find time to squeeze it in.

My husband and I eat totally organic at home. We don't use any low fat or low cal food. We don't believe in it.. But what we do, do is have a very small portions. On one of my cruises I eat half the amount that was on the plate. And for lunch and breakfast the same thing. I would only dish up one spoon full of food and one small dessert. I had any thing I wanted just very small portions. And I didn't eat when I didn't need to.

Plus I did use the stairs a lot. I did use the elevator from time to time..

I think on that cruise I only gain about an pound or so and I think most of it was water weight.

I think that is the secret. Eat what you want but in reasonable amounts and you should be fine. I despise "diet food", not only does it not taste as good, but is often full of chemicals.

Good quality foods in reasonable amounts have proven the most successful for me.

MAC

Sugar free desserts are also offered at both lunch and dinner. The diet bannana, mango and orange cakes are divine.

I was on a very restricted 800 calorie a day diet on our July cruise. I actually upped it to about 1200. Not only did I not gain any weight I continued to lose, 3 pounds. Portion control. Not denying myself but a bite of a burger instead of the whole thing. One special indulgence a day!

Don't forget that mixers in those DODs will kill your calorie intake.

I am on Weightwatchers and I really try to stay on track even on vacation. At the buffet I was able to maintain pretty well and got exercise in every AM. If you are on excursions that involve alot of walking, this is good. On our Med cruise, we were so busy with the excursions and there was lots of walking, no time to eat.

At dinner, I try to choose desserts that are less likely to cause any damage. If I order something decadent, then I just have a taste or two of it.

It's about portion control and finding your "comfort zone".

Have a fun cruise!!!

Here's an idea:

First, are you at the weight you like? If so, this is what my wife will do. She actually LOSES the amount of weight she is willing to gain on the cruise! This year, I believe it's around 3 - 4 pounds.

That way, you come back at the same size you are now! ;)

I try to avoid the buffets - in 'normal' life I don't eat big breakfasts so try to stay away from them while travelling (saving calories for dinner) - if you eat in dining room at least there is portion control and you don't end up overloading your plate as you tend to at a buffet.

I also try and take the stairs, walk on deck (sea days). I find ports days very active as well with lots of walking or swimming or snorkelling. Find time for some workouts but I think you will be pretty active without them. Do indulge in desserts as you like (at least a few bites) and I agree that the fancy drinks do add calories so watch the alcohol intake.

Have fun!

So I've been really good lately about working out (4-5 times a week) but I still constantly fight food cravings. So my question is, how do you satisfy your cravings while cruising without completley going over board (pardon the pun)? For people who are active like me do you excercise while cruising and do you have to force yourself to do it everyday? I know everyone is different in their excercise habits, however I cruise in about 10 days and have not devised a plan on how to say "No" to the chocolate melting cake EVERYnight.

WEll, luckily I am not a dessert eater, but I do have to admit cruising brings out the dessert desire from time to time. I do a couple of things, 1-I will either order a salad and appitizer skipping soup or skip the appitizer, it helps a little. For dessert I usually choose a lighter one or just ice cream. I do not exercise ( don't period and it shows) but we do use the stairs as much as possible on the ships.

Nita

I work out or try to at least 3 times a week (going to the gym, walking, etc...), but I don't use the gym on the ship. However, I do try to use the stairs as much as possible and walk a lot on the ship. I also swim or do other types of activities in ports.

As far as food, I don't limit myself on a cruise, but I do love the fresh fruit. I will have dessert but typically it's rich enough and I'm full enough that I can't finish it all. I drink but not heavily. After all, I am on vacation and I don't want to get home and really wish I'd that one thing that I decided I couldn't eat.

I am on a diet right now.....Jenny Craig, which costs a small fortune. I cruise in 2 months. I DO NOT want to gain back the weight that has been so hard to lose! However, I refuse to stay on my diet while cruising. My plan of action is to take the stairs whenever possible. Use the track to walk at least a mile every day. Eat small portions of everything I want. If I end up with something on my plate that I really don't like, I will not eat it "just because it's there". (That has been a mistake of mine in the past.) I will make wise choices, but I will not deprive myself of the foods that I enjoy. I just won't eat a gallon of frozen yogurt a day.... :o

not easy, but if you eat small amounts of things during the day you are less likely to be craving something extreme. Stay active and busy during the day. And dont be afraid to splurge a little! You're on a cruise to have fun and enjoy yourself, and if a couple treats here and there are what you want go for it.

If you already have a fairly high metabolism due to your current workouts, you may find you can eat about what you want and gain nothing! I workout all the time, being an ex-competitive bodybuilder, and last cruise I just KNEW I had gained some weight. But, when I got home I had not! You walk alot on these ships, and on the excursions. You burn a lot more than you realize. So, don't worry about it too much. You can always visit the onboard gym on sea-days. That's a good time to do it, at least to see what it's like in there!

Have fun.

If I, an insulin dependent diabetic, can eat warm chocolate melting cake each night without harmful consequences, I suspect most of us can.:)

Doc:D

For those of us who are Type 2 diabetics successfully controlling our sugar levels with diet and exercise, this is not possible. I stick mostly to the sugar free desserts, which are good. Chocolate melting cake is definitely not a dessert that should be on a diabetic's plan.

If you already have a fairly high metabolism due to your current workouts, you may find you can eat about what you want and gain nothing! I workout all the time, being an ex-competitive .

That's the key. If you have a healthy lifestyle in your daily life, 1 week will not hurt. Diets don't work. That's why there are soooo many out there;)

Remember, it takes an EXTRA 3600 calories to gain a pound! Thus, enjoy yourself as it really won't hurt unless you overindulge regularly. Life is too short to deny yourself pleasures on a vacation...In a couple of months, will you look back and feel guilty, blame the cake, etc. or will the worry even matter then!? :D

I've actually been known to lose weight on a cruise. I too, use the stairs as opposed to the elevators, and keep up my workout regimen (an hour each day either in the gym or on the jogging track). I believe that the reason that I lose weight is because I can have some of each course without feeling obligated to finish everything on my plate....after all it costs me the same whether I have that appetizer and dessert or not, unlike at a restaurant. If I were dining on land, whatever I ordered I would feel compelled to eat, since I would be paying for each item.

DH and I use the stairs mainly and walk every AM. DH prefers the gym on the ship but if you don't hit it right the good equiptment is often being used. I had dessert every night but stayed away from the during the day treats like ice cream/loading up at the buffets etc. I have done pretty good, lots of water and plenty of walking :)

I used to always worry about gaining wait on cruises. After a few cruises I was able to sustain my weght or loose some on each cruise by watching what, when, and how I eat plus exercise. I'm a very healthy person and run marathons which loves to lift weights. On cruises I still exercise and eat healthy but enjoy a few goodies too.

I love Carnival's fitness rooms! In the morning I usually run about 8-12 miles on the treadmill 5-6 times/week and in the afternoon I lift weights for at least an hour 4 times/week. The more exercise I get the better off I am in making choices in what I eat and I feel fine eating some delicious desserts because I exercise on the ships.

I'm glad to hear from others on this thread how I'm not the only person on a cruise ship that eats substitute eggs(egg white). Each morning I have at least one egg substitute omelete with veg.s, and mushrooms with tobasco. I get a small bowl of grapefruit and canalope. At the side I have some yogurt with maybe special k mixed in it. I drink alot of tea and some coffee. For lunch I just go to the salad bar a couple of times. For dressing I use basalmic vinegarette. Alot of times I get healthy things like smoked salmon from the deli to put on my salad. I might have some jello too. On days they serve chocolates for dessert I get the vanilla/chocolate tappioca pudding. For dinner I usually eat about the healthiest foods on the menu which are usually from the SPA with steamed veg.s to the side. A few healthy things I have for dinner are shrimp cocktail each night, portebello mushrooms, grilled jumbo shrimp, salmon, and lobster(no butter). For dessert I always ask for jello with some kind of sherbert. However I don't pass up the cappuccino piex2 the last evening or the taramisu. They have desserts every night that are sugar free(banana, coconut, apple, pumpkin, etc.) that tastes delicious but I avoid it anymore because it always seems to bother my tummy. Through out the day I always drink alot of tea.

I always have at least one yogurt cone each day and avoid most of the drinks served onboard because they have alot of calories and sugar. I bring my own bacardi and hawaiian punch mix onboard or mix the bacardi with diet coke. I don't eat late and try to get enough rest on each cruise.

I don't think it's hard to be healthy on a cruise ship, just eat healthy and exercise. Carnival has alot of healthy foods to choose from and a fitness room to use or the track. I believe if you can exercise on the ship you'll have an even funner cruise.:D

Archived