Sea Miles Ripoff??

Shamrock359

Here's the story: I used 112,000 seamiles towards a Cat 12 on the Sensation sailing next week. Final payment is done and now the price has dropped a good $300 for 2 on that category. I called Seamiles and they say Carnival won't allow a refund or OBC after final payment. I called Carnival and they said it's completely up to Seamiles. I am definitely getting rid of that card. Had I booked directly with my former PVP, he would've given me an OBC I'm sure.

Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help.

Here's the story: I used 112,000 seamiles towards a Cat 12 on the Sensation sailing next week. Final payment is done and now the price has dropped a good $300 for 2 on that category. I called Seamiles and they say Carnival won't allow a refund or OBC after final payment. I called Carnival and they said it's completely up to Seamiles. I am definitely getting rid of that card. Had I booked directly with my former PVP, he would've given me an OBC I'm sure.

Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help.

Is to get rid of that card, it's a piece of rubbish! I tell everybody I can, every chance I get (even on board the ship, standing next to the kiosk).

Sol y Mar

Is to get rid of that card, it's a piece of rubbish! I tell everybody I can, every chance I get (even on board the ship, standing next to the kiosk).

Sol y Mar

Is that the credit card with Carnival? I was thinking of getting that, but I won't bother if it is more trouble than it is worth.

:confused:

What else do you want for free? Would you have gotten a free cruise using a Target or American Express card?

Fred

Free? What free? For 112,000 miles I got a whopping $600 discount. American Express, Visa, and MC all give you at least 1%. If you can book a cruise using a Target Card, more power to you. The card is definitely going to shredderville.

Free? What free? For 112,000 miles I got a whopping $600 discount. American Express, Visa, and MC all give you at least 1%. If you can book a cruise using a Target Card, more power to you. The card is definitely going to shredderville.

What I am saying is that even if you spent $112,000 with any other card that does not offer any rewards points like sea miles, you would not be going on a free cruise.

I have been using SeaMiles since day one so I know how it works. Once I hit the 45,000 mark I redeem it for 500.00 off. To me thats the best way to go. Great customer service and never had a problem booking with them.

Just like those that buy the Carnival Vacation Club, they waste all of their membership points booking a Cat.12 cabin and then complain about it.

Fred

I have posted about the SeaMiles program a lot but here goes again -

Yes, it is a rip off. The advertisement when you sign up says something like free cruise for 35,000 miles. Well, just try and get one. There arae multiple, multiple,multiple restarictions on date, region, ship and availability. Plus you must book with their TA, who do not have the most competative prices.

The Royal Caribbean card is not much better.

If you want a REAL deal, and are not married to Carnival, you need the NCL card. For 17,500 in charges you receive a $500 certificate . You use the certificate as a gift certificate. No restrictions whatsoever. Good on any NCL cruise, any time, any where, and you pick your own agency or NCL direct. You can accure 2 certificates ($1,000) per year.

It's a much better deal than the misleading Carnival card. If you want more info there is a sticky on the NCL board about the card.

Enjoy!

What I am saying is that even if you spent $112,000 with any other card that does not offer any rewards points like sea miles, you would not be going on a free cruise.

I have been using SeaMiles since day one so I know how it works. Once I hit the 45,000 mark I redeem it for 500.00 off. To me thats the best way to go. Great customer service and never had a problem booking with them.

Just like those that buy the Carnival Vacation Club, they waste all of their membership points booking a Cat.12 cabin and then complain about it.

Fred

I think what you are not getting Fred, is that if one spent $112,000 on just about any other cash rewards card, it would be worth a minimum of $1120 CASH; and could be considerably more depending on the specific card. I cut up my Seamiles card long ago because Seamiles would not honor past guest, senior, military or any other discounts to which one might be entitled. Even the Princess cruise rewards card has better bennies than Seamiles; only takes 40,000 points to earn a $500 cruise discount, and more importantly, you can use ANY travel agent to redeem.

What else do you want for free? Would you have gotten a free cruise using a Target or American Express card?

Fred

The RCL card gave me enough points to open the account to get $150 off any RCL cruise and I can book it thru any TA or the cruiseline, and still use the coupon. I now have more than that extra saved up and I dont charge much as a rule, so I have to remember not to pay cash to pay by my RCL card.

I could also have upgraded to a OV on a 7 day free with the points they gave me just to open the account.

Its a much better card than the Carnival card.

Well' date=' I don't want to marry again......but, can I just live with them for the benefits? Please, please, please????:D[/quote']

LOL, you are so right about using the seamiles travel agent. We got a small discount last time, but probably equal to a rate we could have had if we shopped around. Now we are letting the seamiles ride until we get a free trip...NOT a discount!

Fred

As a matter of fact, YES!!!

But even better, I am not locked into using it for just a cruise...I can use it for ANYTHING. (car rental, hotels, airline tickets) ....no restrictions..NO having to deal with ONLY their agents..

I can use it at any time, use any agent, towards anything do to with travel.

LOVE IT!

Plus they gave me $400.00 just for joining....which paid for my ticket on our Imagination cruise!!!

I have always had luck with our seamiles card. I, too, use the miles as they accumulate. The miles combined with military discount gives us some pretty sweet deals. If you plan properly the savings can be substantial. They have always been professional there and I have always been treated well.

The NCL card sounds ok, but I don't want to cruise with NCL and am not sure if coupons are just for NCL. The sea miles can be used for any cruise.

Your complaining about getting ONLY $600.00 credit? Ask the people on this board that did not get that $600.00 dollars then get back to them.

I got a seamiles card when Royal Caribbean moved out of NOLA and we drove 800 miles for a 4-day cruise to use up our Royal Points. Seamiles is junk when compared to the Crown and Anchor card, because it takes twice as many points to get a comparable cruise. However, if you take less cruise and use the points only, you at least get something. When you use seamiles for a discount, the price after discount is as much or more than what you would pay through a TA without the points.

Is there any game in town other than Seamiles and Crown and Anchor?

[Now, I will read the thread and find that my question has already been asked and answered:o]

I have posted about the SeaMiles program a lot but here goes again -

Yes, it is a rip off. The advertisement when you sign up says something like free cruise for 35,000 miles. Well, just try and get one. There arae multiple, multiple,multiple restarictions on date, region, ship and availability. Plus you must book with their TA, who do not have the most competative prices.

The Royal Caribbean card is not much better.

If you want a REAL deal, and are not married to Carnival, you need the NCL card. For 17,500 in charges you receive a $500 certificate . You use the certificate as a gift certificate. No restrictions whatsoever. Good on any NCL cruise, any time, any where, and you pick your own agency or NCL direct. You can accure 2 certificates ($1,000) per year.

It's a much better deal than the misleading Carnival card. If you want more info there is a sticky on the NCL board about the card.

Enjoy!

I have gotten the free cruise @ 35,000 miles (x2) it was a 3 night on CCL the 3rd week of January.

I agree with you on the NCL card,its great. Its only ONE $1000 certificate per year based on a 12 month cycle the month you obtained the card.

For those who have seamiles....book thru a PVP then transfer to the TA they have (ICE)

I think what you are not getting Fred, is that if one spent $112,000 on just about any other cash rewards card, it would be worth a minimum of $1120 CASH; and could be considerably more depending on the specific card. I cut up my Seamiles card long ago because Seamiles would not honor past guest, senior, military or any other discounts to which one might be entitled. Even the Princess cruise rewards card has better bennies than Seamiles; only takes 40,000 points to earn a $500 cruise discount, and more importantly, you can use ANY travel agent to redeem.

My A/E is even better than that since I get $100 for every 7,500 points.

$112,000 would net me over $1,400.00 in cash, which would pay for our Fantasy Bloggers Cruise for THREE people AND have money left over to cover the tips!!! :D

And my American Express gives me double points for certain things (just like Sea Miles does for cruise cost).

We are in the process of booking a cruise using the points we have accumulated. We are getting a free cruise for the two us, a five day cruise, for 100,000 points. I don't have a problem with that at all, it is a free cruise just for making purchases. It doesn't cost us at all to use the card, as we pay it off monthly. Maybe there are better cards out there, but you have to go with what works for you.

With that said, I will not give up my PVP.

I have 150,000 miles accumulated and still can't get a free 7 day cruise to carribean.

When I redeemed my RCCL card points for the free cruise the points that where stated on the brochure is what I needed for the free cruise.

When you call Sea Miles, they tell you that is the minimum required.

What would be the best way to get these points redeemed?

Fred

ACTUALLY!!! I PAID FOR OUR UP COMING ECSTACY CRUISE WITH THE 5% CASH BACK I GET FROM AMEX BLUE CASH CARD. THANKS TO THE BUSINESS I'M IN I SPEND ABOUT $25,000 A YEAR IN FUEL AND IT ALL GOES ONTO THE CARD.

Archived