Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

Now, I am a grammar freak as much as the next guy, but I did find William Shatner's comments about split infinitives quite funny. Someone many years ago asked Shatner if he knew that Star Trek's motto ("to boldly go where no man has gone before") was a split infinitive. To which he replied: "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Because, apparently, in some other treatise on grammar, it is not proper to end a sentence with a preposition (in his case, the prepositions "up" and "with").

Sometimes, enforcement of the rules results in sentences that sound asinine. In those cases, I have sympathy for bending the rules.

In other words: "This is the sort of nonsense which I will not put up with" seems so much less awkwards, and so much more clear.

So, yes, one of my "favorite" little joys is made-up words. I collect them (in a journal). Just so long as someone else has made them up.

Then let me gift you one I learned almost 50 years ago---

dingle-witted fingle-prong.

OK, it's not a single word, but used as an expletive out a car window (or anywhere, I suppose) elicits the most confused response! :D

Feel free to quote me. ;)

Now, I am a grammar freak as much as the next guy, but I did find William Shatner's comments about split infinitives quite funny. Someone many years ago asked Shatner if he knew that Star Trek's motto ("to boldly go where no man has gone before") was a split infinitive. To which he replied: "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Because, apparently, in some other treatise on grammar, it is not proper to end a sentence with a preposition (in his case, the prepositions "up" and "with").

Sometimes, enforcement of the rules results in sentences that sound asinine. In those cases, I have sympathy for bending the rules.

In other words: "This is the sort of nonsense which I will not put up with" seems so much less awkwards, and so much more clear.

OLD JOKE:

A man is walking around a huge ritzy department store looking for the men's room. He spots a saleman and asks him "Excuse sir, can you tell me where the bathrooms at".

The salesman looks at the man with contempt and announces "Only a complete buffoon ends a sentence in a preposition.'

The man then replies "Oh I am so sorry , can you tell me where the bathrooms at A-Hole:) :)

Usually that quote is attributed to Winston Churchill.

Then let me gift you one I learned almost 50 years ago---

dingle-witted fingle-prong.

OK, it's not a single word, but used as an expletive out a car window (or anywhere, I suppose) elicits the most confused response! :D

Feel free to quote me. ;)

Please Ruth may I quote you also? I will be the first to admit that I can have a fiery temperament to go along with my red hair (with a "root refreshener" now and then from L'Oreal;)). I sometimes think to myself "if those people could lip read I would be dead by now". I love dingle-witted fingle-prong just as much as I love Oh razzle-fratz which I now use instead of what used to be "Oh S--t".

Valerie:D

I worked with a grammarian who knew when to use "who" and when to use "whom."

One day a man called the office and grammarian John answered:

"To who am I speaking," the caller asked.

"It's whom." John replied.

" Listen Mr. Whom ....."

Please Ruth may I quote you also? ... I love dingle-witted fingle-prong just as much as I love Oh razzle-fratz which I now use instead of what used to be "Oh S--t".

Sure, Valerie! Go right ahead. It's my gift to the entire Cruise Critic community.

And I'll feel free to use "Oh razzle-fratz", too. K? :D

Sure, Valerie! Go right ahead. It's my gift to the entire Cruise Critic community.

And I'll feel free to use "Oh razzle-fratz", too. K? :D

Oh please Ruth do enjoy "Oh razzle-fratz" as much as I do. I learned that from a wonderful Southern Belle from Atlanta who looks as though butter wouldn't melt in her mouth but apparently she has her "moments" too.

Valerie:D

I worked with a grammarian who knew when to use "who" and when to use "whom."

One day a man called the office and grammarian John answered:

"To who am I speaking," the caller asked.

"It's whom." John replied.

" Listen Mr. Whom ....."

Here's an easy way to remember: Replace the who/whom with he/ him (or they/them) and see which makes sense. If him or them makes sense, use whom (notice that all end in "M".) If He or they make sense, use Whom.

In the example above, we know whom is correct, because we would say "to him", not "to he".

Some other examples: Who will go with me? (He will go with me)

I spoke with whomever answered. (I spoke with him)

Whoever answers will receive a prize. (He will receive a prize)

Here's an easy way to remember: Replace the who/whom with he/ him (or they/them) and see which makes sense. If him or them makes sense, use whom (notice that all end in "M".) If He or they make sense, use Whom.

In the example above, we know whom is correct, because we would say "to him", not "to he".

Some other examples: Who will go with me? (He will go with me)

I spoke with whomever answered. (I spoke with him)

Whoever answers will receive a prize. (He will receive a prize)

Sorry, typo in this post - should say 'If he or they makes sense, use Who"

Not finding fault here, but I do get a chuckle, and have to wonder a little bit---

When a poster consistently thanks some people for their "honest" reviews, but fails to thank others, does that mean they think the other reviews are dishonest? :confused:

Not finding fault here, but I do get a chuckle, and have to wonder a little bit---

When a poster consistently thanks some people for their "honest" reviews, but fails to thank others, does that mean they think the other reviews are dishonest? :confused:

Ruth,

I think the same thing! I also notice it when people emphasize "balanced" reviews...as if someone cant have an overwhelmingly positive (or negative) experience, or they must be lying in their review.

The one that sets my teeth on edge is Very unique. Unique means "one of a kind". It either is or is not unique.
Exactly! And it's the same with "totally destroyed." Sheesh! If it's destroyed, it's destroyed. There is no sliding scale. Now if you're talking about "damaged," then use adjectives to describe the level. But not with "destroyed."

Archived