Loyal Princess Cruiser's Experience on RCCL

regnig

Oh had I posted this on the RC board I'd be dog food by now. As to "assertions and the conclusions" - I attempted to point our facts as they pertained to our particular experience. Additionally, my post was not intended to be a full fledge "review" of the cruise but rather a comparison, from an admitted Princess Loyalist, of our cruising experience. And yes, you are correct, the Liberty of the Seas is a beautiful ship but she is one that I will admire from the balcony of a Princess ship in the future.

I agree with you. When I posted on the RCL thread about our bad experiences I really got beaten down. RCL does have beautiful ships but the service leaves lots to be desired. However, when we had a problem with our cabin steward on the Voyager I went straight to the purser's desk and things changed after that. However, the service still couldn't compare in the dining room and other areas. It depends on the crew members for the most part and how you respond to them.

If something isn't working in your cabin on Princess they will fix it or replace it. On RCL they made excuses and wouldn't do a thing to fix it when the solution was very simple. Our steward didn't get friendly until the last day when it was tip time.

I cannot do any comparisons but enjoy reading what other posters have to say. I am glad that we have stuck with Princess so far, and our next two bookings are with Princess. I don't see any need to switch. If something isn't broken - don't fix it. ;)

emdia - we are always on early and have gone directly to our cabin, put away what needs to go in the safe, put the wine in the fridge, step out on the balcony, meet the cabin attendantand ask for a couple of items, like wine glasses, bathrobes and then we are off to tour and have a bite to eat. I have never been on the CB, but all the other Princess ships have had no problem with us going straight to the room:)

Have we experienced kids pressing all the elevator buttons, yup, we then just walk down the stairs. If going up it usually isn't too many stops, just grin and bear it:D We go to the Terrace (adult) pool to relax. Not too many kids there. I am sure I pushed a few elevator buttons in my day and really thought I was just soooo funny......

We have never gone hungry on Princess and who cares if the ice cream is free. NBD as far as I am concerned.

Larsen, its funny, we were just discussing those towel animals a few weeks ago on another post. Another NBD, but using your stuff to make them, now that is not nice at all:o Bring mouse traps the next time:rolleyes:

The Rib thing really got me. OMG!!!!!

Problem is that most cruisers, especially those who have grown loyal to a particular cruise line over the years, are really just not very objective...

And, many of the things that most people find important to them personally are really matters of personal taste...Whose food is better than whose? Depends on YOUR taste and your background...Whose entertainment is better? Again depends on your personal taste...Whose Pizza is better? Again, a matter of taste...Ship's decor? Heck, Some loyal Carnival cruisers actually LOVE Carnival's overly gaudy decor...Which ship is more fun? Depends on what YOU find fun...And on and on and on...

Really, most of you ought to check out other cruise lines from time to time...If you went with an open mind, you'd likely find that some of them do some things better, some worse...but most things about the same...If you'd weight them under an independent criteria, you'd likely think differently than if you've predetermined that Princes is what you like and only consider where they stand in your mind versus Princess...

I've come to think of these comparisons as a bit like the TV show "Wife Swap" -- you try something new and different, but it's colored by your own previous experience and perceptions of what things "should" be like. Sometimes you have a good experience ...... other times you return to your loyal mate/cruiseline and don't stray any more.

Or maybe it's what we used to call a "Yup-Yup": one person says our favorite line is better than another and we can all feel good agreeing with them. :)

you know we do have our favorites for many reasons and no one wants to hear anything bad about their family. I posted after our January cruise on Princess, it certainly wasn't a negative review and when I did refer to things that did not go well, I made certain I said, this was my opinion or others did not have the same experience. Well, even with just a couple of things not quite as we had hoped I got royally blasted...

Obviously people who are loyal, cheerleaders, whatever have trouble with even small criticisms.

Nita

you know we do have our favorites for many reasons and no one wants to hear anything bad about their family. I posted after our January cruise on Princess, it certainly wasn't a negative review and when I did refer to things that did not go well, I made certain I said, this was my opinion or others did not have the same experience. Well, even with just a couple of things not quite as we had hoped I got royally blasted...

Obviously people who are loyal, cheerleaders, whatever have trouble with even small criticisms.

Nita

Understandable......as well as you staunchly defend NCL on their board and others defend their favorite cruise line on other boards! Nature of the cruising beast:)

Bruin Steve - aren't you the one that came back from your first Princess cruise and compared everything to Celebrity? Even though we told you before hand that the ship you were sailing on was not "typical Princess" (Crown Princess) and could not be compared to the newer Celebrity ships?

Having read your comments the past several years where you are very critical of Princess on several cruise boards after one sailing on a Princess ship that was going to be retired - I am surprised at your comments towards others on this board.

I pretty much expect that you will come home from the Sapphire and slam Princess just so you can say that your initial conclusions were accurate about Princess.

I am sailing on the Crown in Feb. This will be my first Princess cruise. I have sailed on Celebrity in the past. I know that comparisons will be hard to avoid. I will assure you of one thing...I am going to love every minute. I can always find something I can eat...I don't mind asking for service if it isn't being provided automatically, as it is my right. I have no problem ignoring folks I don't have similar behaviors to ie rude etc. I MAKE my vacation what I want it to be and aside from sinking, there is very little I am not able to overcome with a positive attitude and a few cocktails!:D

I am sailing on the Crown in Feb. This will be my first Princess cruise. I have sailed on Celebrity in the past. I know that comparisons will be hard to avoid. I will assure you of one thing...I am going to love every minute. I can always find something I can eat...I don't mind asking for service if it isn't being provided automatically, as it is my right. I have no problem ignoring folks I don't have similar behaviors to ie rude etc. I MAKE my vacation what I want it to be and aside from sinking, there is very little I am not able to overcome with a positive attitude and a few cocktails!:D

Well stated. I want to cruise with you and yours someday.:)

Bruin Steve - aren't you the one that came back from your first Princess cruise and compared everything to Celebrity? Even though we told you before hand that the ship you were sailing on was not "typical Princess" (Crown Princess) and could not be compared to the newer Celebrity ships?

Having read your comments the past several years where you are very critical of Princess on several cruise boards after one sailing on a Princess ship that was going to be retired - I am surprised at your comments towards others on this board.

I pretty much expect that you will come home from the Sapphire and slam Princess just so you can say that your initial conclusions were accurate about Princess.

I am pretty sure he has come back from more than one cruise, slamming away. LOL

Bruin Steve - aren't you the one that came back from your first Princess cruise and compared everything to Celebrity? ....

Seriously???

You are partially correct...

When I returned from my first Princess cruise on the OLD Crown Princess, I was certainly NOT impressed...There were quite a number of things negative about that experience...some due to the age and upkeep of theship, others completely unrelated...

However, I also acknowledged those things which were ship-specific and likely not true of Princess ships in general and also stated that I could understand that and it would NOT deter me from cruising with Princess in the future--that I would just make it a point to go on a newer, nicer Princess ship...

I certainly did not compare anything to Celebrity at that time...since my very first Celebrity cruise...on the Millennium...did not come until two years AFTER that...

As to my coming back from more than one cruise "slamming away", Nita:

I have only been somewhat negative after two cruises--

1) that particular Crown Princess cruise mentioned here...and, for those who don't get it--before the CURRENT Crown Princess, that name was pegged to another ship--one that Princess acquired when it bought out the old Sitmar Cruises...and, by the time I cruised on her, she was at the end of her useful life for Princess and about to be assigned over to a German subsidiary...The ship, old as it was, was lacking in amenities, and, because of the situation, lots of maintenance had been defered and, by that time, the ship was in poor shape...Facts that I ALWAYS acknowledged when discussing the experience...

2) My most recent Carnival cruise...which pretty much cured me of Carnival for good...But, even in discussing that one, I also acknowledged all of the positives...

Twenty-some-odd other cruises on several cruise lines, I have always tried to be fairly upbeat...but, in reviewing ANY& cruise, I will talk about both positives and negatives...because I think people reading these boards--at least most of them--want a little reason and honesty...

I am pretty sure he has come back from more than one cruise, slamming away. LOL

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd. I had to go back to read Bruin Steve's post again looking for what was so anti-Princess, and all I can say is "huh???"

Seriously???

You are partially correct...

When I returned from my first Princess cruise on the OLD Crown Princess, I was certainly NOT impressed...There were quite a number of things negative about that experience...some due to the age and upkeep of theship, others completely unrelated...

I certainly did not compare anything to Celebrity at that time...since my very first Celebrity cruise...on the Millennium...did not come until two years AFTER that...

I guess it was continued to years later after you had sailed both Princess and Celebrity that whenever anyone asked for a comparison, you constantly dogged Princess (knowing that the ship you were on was not like the rest of the fleet).

I guess it was continued to years later after you had sailed both Princess and Celebrity that whenever anyone asked for a comparison, you constantly dogged Princess (knowing that the ship you were on was not like the rest of the fleet).

You must have very thin skin...and be extremely partial to Princess...

Whenever asked about comparing cruise lines, I typically speak well of Princess, acknowledging that the ship I was on was an OLDER Princess ship and many of the faults I found were due to that...

When comparing Princess and Celebrity, yes, I AM partial to Celebrity...I think they are the better cruise line...but, of course, I am always quick to note that this is MY PERSONAL preference and that, in comparing cruise lines, we all have our own criteria, our own standards, our own expectations, etc. and therefore, what I might find to be best FOR ME may not be what you will think best FOR YOU...

Is that "dogging" Princess?

I truly think not...

Isn't it acceptble and reasonable that I might strongly prefer another line? IMHO, the food and service is better on Celebrity...of course, that is my opinion...you can choose to differ if you like... I also feel the entertainment is better on Celebrity--and, again, it IS my opinion--of course, if pressed, I will give the examples of the entertainment on my Crown Princess cruise--especially since it has nothing to do with the age of the ship...Of course, I hope Princess has upgraded in this area...Past that, one problem I have with Princess versus Celebrity...and one that is completely quantifiable...is the space-per-passenger ratios...and that is of paramount importance to me--may not be to you of course...

The bulk of Princess' newer large ships carry 3,070 (double occupancy) passengers on a 113,000 gross ton ship while the Celebrity M-Class carry 2,000 on a 91,000 gross ton ship (36 gross tons per passenger versus 45)...Of course, that's one reason I'm not too pessimistic regarding the Sapphire Princess...it and it's sister, the Diamond, sail with 2,670 passengers in 116,000 gross tons, a far more respectable and spacious 43 gross tons per passenger...

It's not really "dogging" Princess to state opinions...and certainly not to state facts, is it?

Really, don't take it THAT personally...

I can't really have that big a problem with Princess if I booked them for December, can I?

You must have very thin skin...and be extremely partial to Princess...

Whenever asked about comparing cruise lines, I typically speak well of Princess, acknowledging that the ship I was on was an OLDER Princess ship and many of the faults I found were due to that...

I actually don't have a thin skin nor is Princess my favorite line. Actually, the last 2 cruise lines I was on, I preferred to Princess. I have just seen your comments for years attacking Princess based on 1 cruise on a ship that was going to leave the fleet anyway.

Bruin Steve - space per passenger ratio is very important to me too, and it was one of the "negatives" of my recent cruise on Caribbean Princess. Too much competition for seats in the theatre and the buffet area.

Although it there were many positives on our cruise too, we prefer the larger RCI ships because they are significantly large enough for the number of passengers aboard.

The bulk of Princess' newer large ships carry 3,070 (double occupancy) passengers on a 113,000 gross ton ship while the Celebrity M-Class carry 2,000 on a 91,000 gross ton ship (36 gross tons per passenger versus 45)...Of course, that's one reason I'm not too pessimistic regarding the Sapphire Princess...it and it's sister, the Diamond, sail with 2,670 passengers in 116,000 gross tons, a far more respectable and spacious 43 gross tons per passenger...

I care about space ratio. On the Millennium - the space ratio is 45-46. On the Coral and Island Princess it 47. The Tahitian/Ocean/Pacific Princess is 44.

The Solstice is going to be 41 - very similar to Grand/Golden and Star which is 42.

We had a wonderful cruise aboard the Navigator of the Seas but the Enchantment cabin we had was fit for sardines and the bed was hard as a rock. I have since learned that you can ask for a foam topper. Really looking forward to our first Princess!

You'd better ask for about ten foam toppers! One doesn't work. Other than the beds I loved my Princess cruise.

You didn't eat that did you!!:eek: :eek:

Trust me we ate no ribs. Neither did we eat the hambergers that were cooked onboard the ship and tendered over. I did try the "Waldorf Salad" and was very surprised (not in a pleasant way) to discover it consisted only of apples, grapes and a mustard dressing. UGH! Not the Waldorf Salad my mom taught me to make.

If something isn't working in your cabin on Princess they will fix it or replace it. On RCL they made excuses and wouldn't do a thing to fix it when the solution was very simple.

We encountered the same situation on the LOS. The hairdryer didn't work and apparently they didn't have a replacement on the ship. :confused: Fortunately my SIL let me use hers.

Twenty-some-odd other cruises on several cruise lines, I have always tried to be fairly upbeat...but, in reviewing ANY& cruise, I will talk about both positives and negatives...because I think people reading these boards--at least most of them--want a little reason and honesty...

Steve maybe you didn't read my original post in its entirety as I did speak about BOTH positives and negatives. Yesterday you accused me of making "assertions and conclusions" and now you are implying I wasn't reasonable or honest. Did I say what YOU wanted to hear? Apparently not! Was it balanced, reasonable and honest? Darn right it was!

As the OP stated...there is no such thing as a bad cruise...I've done the Island, Diamond, the Sapphire, the Star, the Ocean, Regal, even the Caribbean during Spring Break (what WAS I thinking? but we survived) doing the Golden, and heh, you go with the flow on holidays. Life at home has it ups and downs and s**t happens...furnaces break, hot water tanks leak, the neighbour's dog barks and look what you paid for your house! So, a 7 day, 14 days at sea where someone cooks all your meals, turns down your bed at night and leaves a chocolate, picks up YOUR wet towels off the floor and leaves freshly laundered ones hanging up and free entertainment PLUS a variety of ports of call.....heh, what's not to love!

This boards do love to have fistacuffs over which cruise line is better but if you go and look over at Seabourn, then it makes Princess, RCCI, Celebrity all pale by comparison or so they say. Suffice to say, we are all doing what we love to do...cruise. If you find something wrong, curtiously bring to the appropriate person's attention and hopefully it will be addressed...just like on land.

But, like on land, it doesn't always work out as well as we would like.

If so, then there's always another cruise, another day, another port. It sure beats staying at home!

1) that particular Crown Princess cruise mentioned here...and, for those who don't get it--before the CURRENT Crown Princess, that name was pegged to another ship--one that Princess acquired when it bought out the old Sitmar Cruises...and, by the time I cruised on her, she was at the end of her useful life for Princess and about to be assigned over to a German subsidiary...The ship, old as it was, was lacking in amenities, and, because of the situation, lots of maintenance had been defered and, by that time, the ship was in poor shape...Facts that I ALWAYS acknowledged when discussing the experience...

For those who don't get it (which seems to include you), I'm almost positive that the previous Crown Princess was not a Sitmar ship. I started out sailing on Sitmar in 1983. As I recall, Princess got 4 ships when it acquired Sitmar. I think that they were called the Fairsea, Fairwind, Fairsky, and Fairmajesty (went into service shortly after the acquisition as the previous Star Princess). I'm pretty sure the previous Crown Princess was a sister ship to the Regal Princess--both Princess ships (not Sitmar). Not sure how relevant this is to this thread, but it does make me wonder how you come up with the "facts" that you use for your objective analysis. As I recall, your comparison of space ratios between RCCL and Carnival really understated the passenger load on the RCCL ship (producing an overstated space ratio).

I'm not sure that you are a credible source for a comparison of Princess and Celebrity/RCCL, given that you have not sailed on any of the current Princess ships.

For those who don't get it (which seems to include you), I'm almost positive that the previous Crown Princess was not a Sitmar ship. I started out sailing on Sitmar in 1983. As I recall, Princess got 4 ships when it acquired Sitmar. I think that they were called the Fairsea, Fairwind, Fairsky, and Fairmajesty (went into service shortly after the acquisition as the previous Star Princess). I'm pretty sure the previous Crown Princess was a sister ship to the Regal Princess--both Princess ships (not Sitmar). Not sure how relevant this is to this thread, but it does make me wonder how you come up with the "facts" that you use for your objective analysis. As I recall, your comparison of space ratios between RCCL and Carnival really understated the passenger load on the RCCL ship (producing an overstated space ratio).

I'm not sure that you are a credible source for a comparison of Princess and Celebrity/RCCL, given that you have not sailed on any of the current Princess ships.

This might help with the history of the Crown Princess http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Village_Two

This might help with the history of the Crown Princess http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Village_Two

Here is another site that doesn't mention the Crown Princess as being a Sitmar ship. If Sitmar was designing/building the Crown Princess, it was so early in the process that they do not appear to have even named it. While it has been quite a while, I'm almost certain that Sitmar's plans for the Crown Princess were not shared with Sitmar's past cruisers.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/sitmar.htm

Here is another site that doesn't mention the Crown Princess as being a Sitmar ship. If Sitmar was designing/building the Crown Princess, it was so early in the process that they do not appear to have even named it. While it has been quite a while, I'm almost certain that Sitmar's plans for the Crown Princess were not shared with Sitmar's past cruisers.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/sitmar.htm

You are correct that she never sailed for Sitmar. But in appears that she was in the early stages of construction..... " Both the Regal and Crown Princess were on order for Sitmar International and were in the early construction phases when Princess purchased their former competitor. In 2002, the ship was transferred to a new P&O Cruises brand aimed at the German market, A'ROSA."

I know that it's really off topic, but I find this very interesting.

BTW, that's a very interesting site that you linked.

Yeah...I love having my credibility attacked...

Here's another link with the history of the old Crown:

http://www.castlesoftheseas.nl/hobbies25.html

And here's yet another one which also discusses the terrible design:

http://members.tripod.com/~PARNAMI/CrownPr.html

Makes YOU wonder how I "come up with MY 'facts'"???

Glad you were so danged sure you would come on here and attack MY credibility, Jff...

Now, let's get back to the point and try to discuss the actual FACTS...

What did I say in this thread that you so strongly object to?

What have I ever written that was not truthful?

Why do you find it so important to attack me?

Archived