"LIVE" from the Crown Princess 28 days from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale

Pia1913

Pia: Loved your review. Will you find out if they have a Lobster night on board for us one night on our cpg-fll portion of the trip? How are the cocktails? Most importantly, how are the passengers? some ships, it's all fun, some just don't make it. weather, people, food, and staff. Looking forward to the report. guess I'll start packing tomorrow. Played golf today.

See you soon,Tikigal!

Hi everyone from drizzly, overcast and dreary Stockholm. I wrote an entire chapter about 5 hours ago and then the computers shut down and I lost everything. Hopefully they'll get around to giving me internet credit. Meanwhile I will try to resurrect some of what I wrote.

First, Bill's description of CDG was hilarious and unfortunately quite true. For some reason after getting off our Delta flight we had to go through immigration and actually leave the terminal to run run run to Terminal 2. We had 45 minutes between connections and had we not "bucked" the line we would still be standing there. Then of course you have to check in all over again and they confiscated all my little bottles of water that had come from Delta. Needless to say CDG is an experience one doesn't want to repeat. EVER!

Those who asked questions.....here are some answers.

We boarded from Fryhavn pier, so no matter what you hear, IT IS NOT Langilinie. We left the Marriott at 11:30 and were on the ship at non. The baggage handlers were loading our stuff before we got off the bus. There is no tipping.

Our cabin is on Baja, deck 11 near the forward elevators. We usually select this location due it's close proximity to the gym. We go there early every day and today I think I lost 3 1/2 calories and one ounce.

As to the question about MUTS......too cold for us out there. Tonight's movie will be PS I Love You.....we've already seen it. Last night was National Treasure.

We lost trivia yesterday, but I won the spelling bee. Another luggage tag! Today we won trivia and got a small zipper change purse kind of thing. You can hang it around your neck. Very nice; haven't seen this one before.

There was a question about cocktails. Sorry. We drink only coffee, diet coke and an occasional beer.

First formal night last night had filets and other stuff. I had my usual chicken breast and broccoli. Our 2nd formal night will be in Estonia and I presume that will be lobster night.

The passenger mix is eclectic with mostly blue first timer cards. I have seen some gold, very few platinum and only 2 black Elites. I did hear today that there is someone on this cruise who has travelled Princess more than 80 times.

The production show last night was great; good to finally see something new. Tonight's main attraction will be a concert pianist; we'll be passing on that. :)

I guess there's not much else to report. We elected not to get off the ship here since we've been here twice previously and spent several days in this town some years back.

Some info for those getting off in St. Pete. You must take your passport with you and also have a photocopy of your passport to leave with the authorities at the ramp. They will tell you this and make copies for you at the purser's desk if you need them.

If the computer behaves, I'll be checking in again tomorrow.

Pia

Just a note to the lobster lovers: On our cruise we did have lobster night (tail with king prawns) but for some reason it was not on the second formal night. I believe it was on the second sea day. I know everyone was surprised that the second formal night was not on a sea day, and that there was no lobster. There must have been a lot of people complaining, because our waiter Aris assured us that the lobster was coming. :D

It's good to hear that Captain Proctor is still in circulation. He's one of Princess' most accessible officers.

That description of CDG would be funny if it wasn't 100% accurate. The only thing that was left out was the inevitable Gallic shrug you will see any time you ask a question that can't be answered by saying, "Take a left and walk 10 minutes."

The passenger mix is eclectic with mostly blue first timer cards. I have seen some gold, very few platinum and only 2 black Elites. I did hear today that there is someone on this cruise who has travelled Princess more than 80 times.

So despite being one of the few rare elites, you won't be getting the most traveled award? Maybe, you'll get 2nd place. LOL:D

Then there's Terminal 2, a series of loosely connected buildings identified as 2A to 2F. They all sound so close, but that's just one of the inside jokes CDG plays on travelers.

LOL. You are so right! We booked at the airport Sheraton this past May. Of course our flight from Barcelona arrived in 2F and when we asked for directions to the hotel ( which turned out to be in 2C ) no one knew which direction it was ( some pointed to the left and some pointed to the right ) and it took us over a half hour to find it. The directions on the signs were no better. Having stayed there with a chance to walk around and not rushing to get out or catch a connecting flight, it will be easy for us to navigate if we ever land in CDG again. The one redeeming point about CDG is that they have an excellent train system that takes you into Paris and surrounding areas.;)

Pia, looking forward to more daily updates.

pia-i know you just drink coffee but dont miss the adagio bar to escape the crowds in the atrium and relax, they have the sweetest bartender massimo up there and i think you can get a cappucino :)

i just got off sunday, did someone have a question about cocktails? i'm an expert ;)

jennifer

Luggage tags? did someone say luggage tags? Bob/Meredeth did you hear that? Just what I need more tags (to go with the 18 we won on the Star)

Oh well, we will give it the old college try and see what we can win.

Thanks Pia for all your work and valuable info, see you in a week.

Ed/Jeff/Paul/Bob

I have a question:

I received the latest version of the Cruise Answer Book yesterday. A nice addition was a listing of dining times for all ships and venues. One thing that struck me was that on Crown, Ruby, and Emerald, Horizon Court is closed during dinner hours. How does this affect other dining? Or do they have a casual table service (like the ex-Regal's Bistro Service) instead?

TIA, PIA.

I have a question:

I received the latest version of the Cruise Answer Book yesterday. A nice addition was a listing of dining times for all ships and venues. One thing that struck me was that on Crown, Ruby, and Emerald, Horizon Court is closed during dinner hours. How does this affect other dining? Or do they have a casual table service (like the ex-Regal's Bistro Service) instead?

TIA, PIA.

I wonder if it is because these ships have a Cafe Caribe onboard? I know that our sailings on the Caribbean Princess (3X) the HC was closed for dinner, but the Cafe Caribe was open, which was about the same thing, but they had themed dining most nights.

Pia, check it out for us please! :)

Thanks Toto. I'd wondered about that. It's still quite a reduction in capacity, though, isn't it? Maybe there just isn't enough waitstaff on these ships to keep everything open at dinner.

The times we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, we had no problems at all dining at the Cafe Caribe, and believe it or not (I am sure you will), we never once have been to the dining room for dinner on this ship.

All three cruises we dined at the Cafe Caribe each night since it was so good. We never ran into a problem with finding a table, never found it overly crowded, and the staff was very attentive too. We enjoyed the quiet dining so much more than the noisey dining room.

When we were on the Crown in July, we had dinner a couple of nights in the Horizon Court so it definitely wasn't closed down even though my Cruise Answer Book and the "Welcome Aboard the Crown" Patter had the information that it was closed. It wasn't, at least on our cruise. Either that or I was eating phantom food and so was everyone else. :)

Thanks, Pia, for posting your experiences. As an FYI, we had no satellite/Internet service from St. Petersburg to Gydnia; it was down for at least three straight days.

That might be where you'll find us on CB in a few weeks. We're doing a "casual" cruise. I refuse to spend additional money to check bags on flights that we booked months ago.

We varied our dining times and visited the Cafe Caribe at all hours from early to late on our three cruises. It was so pleasent, I can't begin to even describe it. No lines, no waiting around, no running to the dining room at exactly a certain time for traditional dining. We hadn't planned on doing this for all three cruises, but after we talked to some and they told us about the long waits in the dining room for service, we just decided we really didn't need that aggravation.

Now, admittedly, on formal night, the staff at the Cafe Caribe is all decked out in their tux. Tables cloths on the tables and a really elegant non buffet type atmosphere. But passengers that dined on formal nights were dressed in everything from formal clothing to swimsuits with cover ups and shorts. So, it was an 'anything goes' dining experience. ;) With the airlines changing the checked bag regs now, I think this could become even more popular in the future, especially on formal evenings.

When we were on the Crown in July, we had dinner a couple of nights in the Horizon Court so it definitely wasn't closed down even though my Cruise Answer Book and the "Welcome Aboard the Crown" Patter had the information that it was closed. It wasn't, at least on our cruise. Either that or I was eating phantom food and so was everyone else. :)

Maybe the people who put the Cruise Answer Book together need to go on a cruise and get some better answers. :D

I have a question:

TIA, PIA.

I wonder if it is because these ships have a Cafe Caribe onboard? I know that our sailings on the Caribbean Princess (3X) the HC was closed for dinner, but the Cafe Caribe was open, which was about the same thing, but they had themed dining most nights.

Pia, check it out for us please! :)

Toto, on the Emerald this past April, that is exactly what happened. The HC was always closed at dinner time and the Cafe Caribe was opened with different theme nights. Also on our CB cruise last year. Our Patters did list the hours of operation for each of the dining areas.

Now, admittedly, on formal night, the staff at the Cafe Caribe is all decked out in their tux. Tables cloths on the tables and a really elegant non buffet type atmosphere. But passengers that dined on formal nights were dressed in everything from formal clothing to swimsuits with cover ups and shorts. So, it was an 'anything goes' dining experience. ;) With the airlines changing the checked bag regs now, I think this could become even more popular in the future, especially on formal evenings.

Isn't Cafe Caribe always set up with tablecloths etc for dinner? The only time we went for dinner there was on a formal night ( so of course set up)It was the 3rd one and the menu in the main dining rooms did not look as appetizing as the Mexican Fiesta that Cafe Caribe had to offer. It was a very good one time dining experience.

• Administrators

I'm thinking about this sailing; of course going in the other direction! I'm enjoying this thread, so I'm subscribing so I don't miss a single word!

Thanks for taking the time out to share with us -- I know how difficult it is to post from the ship so I really appreciate it.

Laura

That might be where you'll find us on CB in a few weeks. We're doing a "casual" cruise. I refuse to spend additional money to check bags on flights that we booked months ago.

If you booked before the increase was announced you should be "grandfathered". I know on our September SFO to SYD cruise we booked in February on NWA, Hawaiian air and Jetstar and can still take two checked bags pp.

Ron

Archived