"LIVE" from the Crown Princess 28 days from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale

Pia1913

OK.....here goes part II.

Temp. outside this AM was 46 degrees, but humidity was high and no wind. Made all the difference in the world.

We left at 8:00 for excursion called Hidden Scenes Walking Tour. Boarded a bus which took us to the Metro. What fun riding a subway which is about 6 stories underground during rush hour. We were given transistors and earphones so we could hear our guide tell us to push into the train and to push out.

We were told not to take photos in subway; one in group didn't listen. Cops caught him and they filled out all kinds of papers and fined him the equivalent of $8.00. Hope his pix was worth it.

We then walked to a large market; perused all the fruits and veggies and meats, etc. WC cost $1.00 for the hole in the ground. Just heard about it; didn't inspect it up close and personal.

Afterwards back on the bus to a gift shop; of course, how could they not take us to a gift shop. We then proceeded to a restaurant where they served us coffee, tea, pastries, OJ, water and free WC's.

Afterwards an outside look at the Church of Most Precious Blood and a shopping opportunity at lots and lots of souvenir kiosks.

Back on the bus and back to the ship. I was surprised at the coffee,etc. stop because we weren't told about this being inclusive. Glad we went.

Time for lunch now.

Forgot.....Troika dancers last night very good. Enjoyable show and nothing R rated except perhaps the Vegas type showgirl costumes which were thongs. Tonight's show a big nothing for us; magic and illusions.

Until tomorrow

Pia

Internet keeps going out. Won't let me post. Lost it all when I tried. Trying again with short version.

Hidden Scenes Walking Tour: Left shipat 8:00; bus ride to Metro. Pushed and shoved into train during rush hour; same thing trying to get out.

Thanks Pia, for all your extra efforts in keeping us updated. There's nothing more frustrating than when the the internet isn't working or when you lose everything you've just typed.

Sounds like you had a very interesting day. Are you allowed to take pictures elsewhere? .....just not in the subway? What kind of souvenirs would you get in Russia? Did you like the coffee there...better than on the ship?

Thanks Pia, for all your extra efforts in keeping us updated. There's nothing more frustrating than when the the internet isn't working or when you lose everything you've just typed.

Sounds like you had a very interesting day. Are you allowed to take pictures elsewhere? .....just not in the subway? What kind of souvenirs would you get in Russia? Did you like the coffee there...better than on the ship?

Re: camera restrictions - There were only 3 places where we were not allowed to take pictures. They were the subway, the Amber Room at the Catherine Palace, and the interior of the palace at Peterhof (although there was a man in the group in front of us taking pictures right and left, so we weren't too happy about that). Oh, we also visited a church where we couldn't take our cameras inside - this was an operating church, not a museum, and we went in while they were having morning service. Many places in St. Petersburg do have a camera fee. Our tour company purchased those for us ahead of time.

Duchess43-we went on the Emerald in April, also a TA. She sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. It was our first TA and we loved it! However, we lost 7 hours crossing the Atlantic, and vowed to get them back. That is why we are taking this one going the other way! LOL. We are on the Sept. 17 cruise and leave this Sunday for Copenhagen. Wish you and Paulette were going on this one!!

For all you elite Princess people: Will the bar set up be larger for an 18 day cruise, as it would be for a 7 dayer?:rolleyes:

This was quite exasperating, but in the end you did get all my postings, albeit in bits and pieces.

To answer the question about coffee; it was awful in St. Pete. Coffee on the ship is sludge unless you get it freshly brewed.

We've been to Russia twice previously and have acquired every souvenir we ever wanted. Even some we didn't want. We are past that stage and are now very conservative shoppers. The impulse shopping stage of our lives is almost gone. :)

We just finished dinner; thankfully the clocks start to go back again tonight. I really need that extra hour.

Will try to check in tomorrow from Talinn.

Pia

Pia,

I am interested in knowing what you thought of the comic Kevin Hughes' show. Also, how many shows he did during your cruise.

Last year on the Golden, we had a comic (can't remember his name right off hand) and he did 3 show on a 7 day cruise! I really wasn't impressed with him and was so surprised that 3 main shows in the theater were given to him. I would've liked more variety in the shows!

I hope this cruise on the Crown we are taking over Halloween will have better shows.

Thanks for the great reviews-LIVE while on your cruise.

For all you elite Princess people: Will the bar set up be larger for an 18 day cruise, as it would be for a 7 dayer?:rolleyes:
Nope. I believe its the same regardless of the length of the cruise. I certainly didn't have a larger set-up on my 31-day Sapphire cruise than on my 10-day Crown cruise -- it was the same.

Hello from cold, windy and very wet Talinn. We left the ship before 7:30 with intentions of walking the 1 1/2 miles into the city. Uh uh.......rainy too hard and umbrellas were threatening to turn over. Took the Princess shuttle $5/PP and then walked and walked and walked on wet cobblestones and up hill after hill after hill. Nothing much doing at that hour but we did get good exercise. Even McDonald's didn't open until 8:00 which was a blessing for being able to use their WC's.

We remembered part of the city from when we were here last; found the flower market easily. We then went in search of the supermarket; my quest for Diet Pepsi. Found it! The rain didn't want to quit, so after 2 1/2 hours of trudging around we took the shuttle back to the ship.

Answers: Kevin Hughes was great and he's doing another show tonight.

The bar setup in the cabin is the same no matter what the length of cruise. Pam is correct. We get the same setup for 7 days as we do for 10 days as we do for 18 days, etc.

====================================================

Clocks went back an hour last night and tonight will be the same. We really needed that extra hour since we've been getting up at 6:00 AM. Tonight will be the Captain Circle cocktail party; it's formal night.

The production show tonight is called "What a Swell Party" but the desription says it's a look at the Cole Porter Era. This is a new title, but something tells me it's an old show. We'll check it out.

There is actually someone working on the coffee machine on Deck 5 right at this moment. They are losing a heck of a lot of latte/cappucino revenue. :)

Lazy afternoon in store, but we will keep our brains moving. Trivia time soon, followed by another at 4:15 and a spelling bee in between. There will be Bingo at 3:30 and I'll try to take a look at whether or not they're using daubers.

I know you all would like some exciting reporting, but alas...........too laid back and not doing much of anything to make it so.

Internet seems OK now. Hope it stays that way and you actually see this.

Pia

Same no matter which length of cruise. Two day cruise or a 30 day sailing, the one time set up includeds the exact same items and number of items for each.

Thanks to you all for the bar setup information. They are very nice about exchanging the various items to ones we like and will drink. Pia-someone responded about the bingo cards, and I have already packed my dabber (it really doesn't take up that much room, afterall!:rolleyes: ). Now, my next question is a little more important: do we need a WARM jacket, or will a fleece pullover do the trick? We leave tomorrow at noon.:D

Pia,

Hi!!!! I am living vicariously through you on your wonderful 28 day journey!!! I love reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to write them.

I am on the Crown with Mona at the end of October. Only a 7 day trip -- someday I will take a 28 (or longer!) cruise!! It sounds amazing!!!

Take care! :D :D

WC cost $1.00 for the hole in the ground. Just heard about it; didn't inspect it up close and personal. Pia

Local restrooms...another cultural experience!

Wow! Really? I saw some in Turkey like that but when were in St. Petersburg in 2005 - the WCs were mini palaces, huge and all gilded and marble with massive chandeliers. Of course I didn't get to use one in the subway. ;) :D

Hello Pia!

I have enjoyed all of your posts....thanks so much for being so helpful and taking the

time to send your reports. A dumb question: Is it warm enough just around the ship

to wear sandals? And cropped pants? Guess my Arizona climate has me stuck with

mostly "cooler" wear. I'll bring closed shoes and socks for port days. Appreciate the

response to my question. Have you won the spelling bee yet? I'm an English teacher

and won't ever enter because I am so competitive...hate to lose! See you soon!

Joanne;)

Wow! Really? I saw some in Turkey like that but when were in St. Petersburg in 2005 - the WCs were mini palaces, huge and all gilded and marble with massive chandeliers. Of course I didn't get to use one in the subway. ;) :D

It totally depends on where you are; the kind Pia described is by far the most common. Although I have to say that the anteroom can be as you describe, but the actual "plumbing" once you're in the stall is just the hole in the ground. This is true even in places that you'd think would be more "westernized" such as GUM department store in Moscow or the larger museums. One afternoon I and a few friends visiting from the US were in some museum (Tretyakovskaya, maybe? oh, well, doesn't matter) and one stall was marked "handicapped" and had an actual toilet -- we were so excited that all five of us patiently waited to use it in turn, confusing the other women who came in and couldn't figure out why there was a line for just that one stall when the other ten were all empty . . .

Pia, loving your updates, thanks for writing! Did you like Swell Party? I thought it was a fun show, great costumes, but then I adore Cole Porter music. It was not terribly popular with the rest of the audience when I saw it (some people even walked out, and just polite applause at the end) -- obviously lyrics with understated wit and irony were wasted on that group.

Hi from Poland. This will be a quickie. We were away all day and it's almost time for dinner. Heaven forbid we should miss a meal, though we did miss lunch.

Yes, Kevin Hughes last night was fantastic. Even better the second time

Definitely daubers for Bingo.

I'm wearing capris and sandals now. Fine for around ship.

My outer jacket is fleece. Have been wearing it with a warmup suit underneath. Or a sweatshirt. You need more than a pullover.

Never got to see Swell Party. Maybe on the next leg.

Yes, I did win the spelling bee and lots of other trivias. I have a multitude of luggage tags. The ship must have gotten a great price on them, since that is what they keep awarding. I am thinking of setting up my own kiosk and selling them twofer.......:D

Weather today was sort of nice; almost sunny at times with no wind. I will report further on Poland in my next presentation.

Dinner..........

Pia

Thanks for all the great live reviews from the Crown Princess. I will be on the Crown in November. If you get back to the Terrace Pool, will you take a look at the layout of the aft Riviera cabins? I've read posts that the door from the pool area to the cabins is very noisy and banging all the time. This opinion was from several months ago. I am booked into one of those cabins and I'm wondering if that issue has been fixed or if it's no issue at all. I love the cabin location, but I want to be prepared for the worst if it is noisy. I've read a lot about the great food in the International Cafe. Have you tried anything there? Thanks again for all the information. Keep warm!

Archived