Rude Captain on Carnival Miracle? see for yourself...

batman1975

You know i just don't agree with many people on this post. Here is why:

First of all, of course when you cruise during hurricane season there is a chance of different ports...of course. But, it seems that this particular sailing changed ports drastically. Everyone was expecting a Caribbean cruise and they got something totally different. Carnival has got to learn that people are going to be very disappointed.

Having said this...there should have been no mutiny. People should just try and enjoy the 7 days of vacation. Yelling in the lobby could have led to arrests, possibly? Disturbing the peace...I don't know. Doesn't seem very mature or productive.

2 things that the Captain said bothered me.

1. His tone was very nice and he did seem sincere but he said a couple of things that bothered me. The idea that passengers shouldn't be a little miffed because they don't have to clean or cook is a low class thing to say. Whenever people go on vacation and stay in a hotel they don't cook or clean. Big deal. You are paying for that wonderful service. I mean, folks paid to not cook and clean. Part of the cruise fair goes towards the food, service and staff. Carnival gets a lot of mileage out of that statement. When the cruise director said it, it seems cute and funny. But, when there is a major change in ports, the Captain should not be bringing that up.

2. The other thing was the "if I was rude I would say that you paid for 3 ports and you got 3 ports." Okay, maybe he was trying to make a joke. It kind of sounded like that. But, it wasn't funny at all. It had a bit of truth to it as well. if he had to speak to the passengers again, he might not of said those two things. You want funny? Check this guy out...

I am very glad I wasn't on this cruise. If there is a major change in ports because of weather the Captain or whoever, should simply explain whay they are not going there, tell everyone that they are safe and they will do everything to make sure everyone is having a great time. That's all he can say. The above 2 statements seem a little defensive and combative.

Having said all of this, no excuse for the poor behavior of the passengers. Those youtube clips are just so stupid. And not tipping the crew...horrible.

Oh come on, YOU never told a joke or tried to lighten up a situation and bombed in the attempt? Did you have to stand in front of a firing squad? NO. The Captain was doing his best in a language he3 is obviously uncomfortable with.

The Ahole pax on this cruise, [not all of them, just the Aholes] complained about:

RUDE CAPTAIN

First of all, of course when you cruise during hurricane season there is a chance of different ports...of course. But, it seems that this particular sailing changed ports drastically. Everyone was expecting a Caribbean cruise and they got something totally different. Carnival has got to learn that people are going to be very disappointed.

Having said this...there should have been no mutiny. People should just try and enjoy the 7 days of vacation. Yelling in the lobby could have led to arrests, possibly? Disturbing the peace...I don't know. Doesn't seem very mature or productive.

1. His tone was very nice and he did seem sincere but he said a couple of things that bothered me. The idea that passengers shouldn't be a little miffed because they don't have to clean or cook is a low class thing to say. Whenever people go on vacation and stay in a hotel they don't cook or clean. Big deal. You are paying for that wonderful service. I mean, folks paid to not cook and clean. Part of the cruise fair goes towards the food, service and staff. Carnival gets a lot of mileage out of that statement. When the cruise director said it, it seems cute and funny. But, when there is a major change in ports, the Captain should not be bringing that up.

2. The other thing was the "if I was rude I would say that you paid for 3 ports and you got 3 ports." Okay, maybe he was trying to make a joke. It kind of sounded like that. But, it wasn't funny at all. It had a bit of truth to it as well. if he had to speak to the passengers again, he might not of said those two things. You want funny? Check this guy out...

I am very glad I wasn't on this cruise. If there is a major change in ports because of weather the Captain or whoever, should simply explain whay they are not going there, tell everyone that they are safe and they will do everything to make sure everyone is having a great time. That's all he can say. The above 2 statements seem a little defensive and combative.

Having said all of this, no excuse for the poor behavior of the passengers. Those youtube clips are just so stupid. And not tipping the crew...horrible.

Yes, drastic change in itinerary.

Now, please tell me where you would take the ship if you were the Captain? :rolleyes:

As in everything in life, it boils down to choices.

You accept it and make the best of it, knowing that the cruise line is out for your safety FIRST and they are NOT out to piss you off. You're disappointed but decide not to ruin your vacation, so you put on your big girl panties and deal with it and have a great time despite going to RI when what you really wanted was a tan and not more lobster.

OR

You become miserable and negative and before even seeing what RI has to offer you, you hate it because you can't see past the big chip on your shoulder...and you cause a fuss ON the ship, joining the mob and getting caught up in a flurry of anger while missing evrything the ship has to offer you and make EVERYONE on the ship miserable with you because, after all, misery loves company and why should you be miserable alone?

I think from the responses posted here, I can assume most people would eagerly choose the first option.

Oh come on, YOU never told a joke or tried to lighten up a situation and bombed in the attempt? Did you have to stand in front of a firing squad? NO. The Captain was doing his best in a language he3 is obviously uncomfortable with.

The Ahole pax on this cruise, [not all of them, just the Aholes] complained about:

1. RUDE CAPTAIN,

2. NO COMMUNICATIONS,

3. VISIT TO NORTHERN PORT.

But, it seems that this particular sailing changed ports drastically. Everyone was expecting a Caribbean cruise and they got something totally different. Carnival has got to learn that people are going to be very disappointed.

I don't think anyone here would NOT be disappointed with an itinerary change. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way.

It's acting upon that disappointment that's the issue.

And the track of a storm can alter some itineraries more than others.

And I don't think they were expecting a stormy Caribbean cruise either. Those rainy pictures just never seem to make it into the brochures or commercials. :rolleyes:

1. RUDE CAPTAIN,

2. NO COMMUNICATIONS,

Camp Carnival has just been expanded to hold 3100 during the hurricane season.

Oh come on, YOU never told a joke or tried to lighten up a situation and bombed in the attempt? Did you have to stand in front of a firing squad? NO. The Captain was doing his best in a language he is obviously uncomfortable with.

1. RUDE CAPTAIN,

2. NO COMMUNICATIONS,

1. The Captain was NOT rude, the video is evident.

2. He told exactly what the situation was, and that is that the home office would make the best arrangements THEY COULD and they would tell him WHAT to do.

3. There were anywhere from a dozen to maybe 40 [just a guess] cruise ships in need of a port, PLUS an untold number of cargo ships scheduled into the available ports, PLUS, some cargo ships in need of a port for safety. And many/most of those ships had/have prior arrangements to be in those ports The hurricane BLOCKED all but a handful of nearby ports. So an armada of ships need to port and one single one of them WILL have to sail NORTH at some point ANYWAY. Does any numbskull think a ship out of Miami should sail north instead of the ONLY ship that HAS to sail north?

A few rational thoughts or a tiny bit of logic would tell the Aholes what should have been obvious. Instead they wanted to whine like little babies and throw a tantrum. They should be identified and barred from ALL cruiseships.

Dan

Now this is rude :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~

Bravo to the Captain for stepping up to the plate and dealing with the situation.

C'mon Sandy...There are a lot of people that feel a lot of New Yorkers are rude. A majority of them, like you, are not though. Since I married a woman from Massapequa, I, as does Fred, know that all folks from the Big Apple are not rude. By the way, Fred is one of the nicest people you will find here on these boards. He is full of information and ready to help anyone..:)

Originally Posted by dcguy9

Oh come on, YOU never told a joke or tried to lighten up a situation and bombed in the attempt? Did you have to stand in front of a firing squad? NO. The Captain was doing his best in a language he is obviously uncomfortable with.

QUOTE - The Ahole pax on this cruise, [not all of them, just the Aholes] complained about:

1. RUDE CAPTAIN,

2. NO COMMUNICATIONS,

1. The Captain was NOT rude, the video is evident.

2. He told exactly what the situation was, and that is that the home office would make the best arrangements THEY COULD and they would tell him WHAT to do.

3. There were anywhere from a dozen to maybe 40 [just a guess] cruise ships in need of a port, PLUS an untold number of cargo ships scheduled into the available ports, PLUS, some cargo ships in need of a port for safety. And many/most of those ships had/have prior arrangements to be in those ports The hurricane BLOCKED all but a handful of nearby ports. So an armada of ships need to port and one single one of them WILL have to sail NORTH at some point ANYWAY. Does any numbskull think a ship out of Miami should sail north instead of the ONLY ship that HAS to sail north?

A few rational thoughts or a tiny bit of logic would tell the Aholes what should have been obvious. Instead they wanted to whine like little babies and throw a tantrum. They should be identified and barred from ALL cruiseships.

Dan

Dan - I was bothered by 2 things he said. He should not have said them under those conditions. Please reread the 2 points I made. Also, it wasn't just a joke that bombed...it was an unprofessional thing to say. I did not say the Captain was rude - just that he should not have said those 2 things.

I also made it very clear that the pax behavior was horrible. I completely agree with you on that.

Dan - I was bothered by 2 things he said. He should not have said them under those conditions. Please reread the 2 points I made. Also, it wasn't just a joke that bombed...it was an unprofessional thing to say. I did not say the Captain was rude - just that he should not have said those 2 things.

LOL..It's a glass 1/2 empty/glass 1/2 full thing.

You see it as what he shouldn't have said.

I, on the other hand, think of all the things he probably really FELT like saying (and refrained himself) and applaud the guy for his professionalism. ;)

DCGUY9, Your take on it is your take and that is fine. My take is that they wanted to be miserable asses, so they were. I posted before, the Cap's same words delivered by a pro comic could have been very funny. The Cap's delivery was bad, but I think it was language not intent. And a damn fool could have figured out that the cruise was going to be and HAD to be radically altered.

They were spoiled children and acted like it. Nothing the Cap said or how he said it was going to change the closed minds of those immature asses.

Remember, besides the no dishes, no cooking, and the U got 3 ports, they also accused him and Carnival of not communicating. Yet I heard him explain all for any that cared to listen. They didn't want to.

Dan

LOL..It's a glass 1/2 empty/glass 1/2 full thing.

You see it as what he shouldn't have said.

I, on the other hand, think of all the things he probably really FELT like saying (and refrained himself) and applaud the guy for his professionalism. ;)

Me too! I just hope those that were so rude (passengers) hated the trip so much that they never cruise again. I would hate traveling with them. I would sail with this captain though. I can't believe people actually think he made the decisions on what ports to replace the ones they could not go to. I am sure many people put in lots of overtime to work out the logistics for the number of ships and the few ports that remaind open.

For those that did not know there were hurricanes out there. Where do you live? I know what kind of weather all the other states have at different times of the year. I knew to bring a jacket and hat and gloves on my Alaskan cruise.

. I can't believe people actually think he made the decisions on what ports to replace the ones they could not go to. I am sure many people put in lots of overtime to work out the logistics for the number of ships and the few ports that remaind open.

People have this crazy idea that the Captain can just sail away to any old port...no matter where, no matter how far. They feel the only job he has is to get them someplace where they can get a tan.

I'm surprised that none of the numbnutz suggested he go through the canal to the Pacific where there are no hurricanes. :rolleyes:

For those that did not know there were hurricanes out there. Where do you live?

That was established in prior threads. The answer is, under a rock.

DCGUY9, they also accused him and Carnival of not communicating. Yet I heard him explain all for any that cared to listen. They didn't want to.

Dan

I could be wrong but I think the miscomunication problem was on the Conquest sailing........I don't remember anyone complaining about this on the Miracle........

I could be wrong but I think the miscomunication problem was on the Conquest sailing........I don't remember anyone complaining about this on the Miracle........

They were also stating no one would communicate with them. One complained that the pursers desk would not tell them the weather in Port Canaveral and would not make car reservations for them:rolleyes: .

The first Miracle mutiny thread stated there was no communication, until others came on to say the were fully informed daily.

Like Dan says, there are those that just didn't hear what they wanted to hear.

They were also stating no one would communicate with them. One complained that the pursers desk would not tell them the weather in Port Canaveral and would not make car reservations for them:rolleyes: .

That has nothing to do with what I was referring to.........but hey I also never found anything on them destroying the ship either:p

Who ya gonna believe:cool:

Just to clarify...what I THINK is correct (like I said, I'm fuzzy on this) I think the OP was not one of the 'mob'...he was very upset by the mob. BUT he was also upset with the Captain, who he thought handled this poorly.

Again, I amy be wrong. I wish the Op would come back to clarify. *sigh*

My personal feeling is the captain is a freaking SAINT.

I agree with you Halos, and that's the way I read it. I think OP was trying to show that the Captain was not the bad guy here. You can hardly dispute that tape of him!

That has nothing to do with what I was referring to.........but hey I also never found anything on them destroying the ship either:p

Who ya gonna believe:cool:

I am going to believe what the posters who were on the cruise stated, except now we can see for ourselves that the Captain was not rude. When they said that they were upset that the pursers desk would not tell them the weather forcast for Port Canaveral or make them rental car reservations I think they are crazy. Several on the first thread said some cruisers vandalized their rooms. I hope this is not true and if it was I hope that Carnival charges them for repairs.

Many on the first thread said they were upset because "no one" would comunicate with them. I now know that the Captain did. You can not communicate with people that do not listen though.

I agree with you Halos, and that's the way I read it. I think OP was trying to show that the Captain was not the bad guy here. You can hardly dispute that tape of him!

Umm, that's not exactly what I meant. The OP did think the Captain was a bad guy. All I was pointing out was that the OP was NOT one of the 'mob'. The OP was pissed at the mob AND the Captain.

You can't tell that from his first post here, but he had started another thread prior to this that is no longer here...it's been 'poofed'

Fortunately not everything winds up on YouTube.

I don't feel that Captain acted rudely....I think he did a wonderful job of explaining a situation which others would be understandably upset.

I know I should never take the irresponsible, childish and rude behavior of others on myself, but I can't help it. It's circumstances like these that make me wonder in what light a man like the Captain from Italy, sees Americans....

It embarasses me to death.

Archived