Rude Captain on Carnival Miracle? see for yourself...

batman1975

I think the op maybe took it a little out of context. The Captain said "If I was rude, I would pick you up in New York and drop you off in New York. The rest is none of your business" He was just saying "IF" he was rude.

and who are your folks??--so I can say hi!

Hi jaja - I didn't "participate" in Roll Call for them this time :mad: . I normally do (they don't have a computer or even know anything about them). I think they would have had fun with you all. I've just had some health and work issues for a couple of months and never enough time to keep up with this cruise for them.

If you should see them, their names are Lanie and Ronnie. I'll let them know if they see people with beads on during boarding (at least I think that's what you are all doing), it's probably "Roll Call People" ;) and they should say "Hi". They can be kinda shy, but hysterical once they get rolling! Normally during sail-away they unpack and stuff since they have early dinner. It is a long day for them and they need to sit for a while. They don't "do" much aboard anymore, but love Carnival (their first cruise was this past April on the Miracle and then this have this one and booked a B2B for the Miracle April/May 2009!) :D

Have fun!

Wow...as a newbie here, I can see that this board can get just as heated and controversial as

tripadvisor

. I'm trying to get a feel for cruising versus land based AI resort vacations, so this was an interesting read.

FWIW....there is a difference between being rude, and being blunt. The worst that could be said of this captain is he is being blunt. He presented the facts..."my primary

responsibility

is keeping you safe, the crew safe, and the ship safe". Since English is his 2nd language it may not have been perceived that way by some already disappointed passengers due to tone and inflection in speech.

When you travel in hurricane season (and I have...got caught in JA during Hurricane Charlie in 2005), you take your chances.

Sorry, to correct you but Charley was August 13th 2004, Friday, at 4:15 in the afternoon. A day I will never forget.

I get your point, though.

I agree with most here that the captain was not rude at all-he did an excellent job considering the language barrier here, and it seems to me that he was trying to crack a joke and lighten things up with his "none of your business" comment. I agree, I would like him to be captain of any ship I am on, knowing that everyone's safety is his primary interest! Isn't that how the Titanic sank? The captain gave in to pressure rather than heed his own "sea sense?"

People can really be stupid when gathered as a mob. It never accomplishes anything-usually ends in disaster.

Very professional and nothing rude at all. I would hope to have him as a Captain on one of my future cruises.
]

Me too, AGAIN. That's Captain Roberto Volpi. He was Captain of the Holiday on one of my cruises from N.O. GREAT personality, actually. He stopped by our table and bought us a drink one evening. That was the cruise I had my ditzy older friend Gloria with me.;)

I think he handled that quite nicely, (as well as with a lot of restraint I would imagine).

I am a female and I love the fact I do not have to cook, clean, or do anything while on a cruise.

I also LOVE the fact that I am on vacation when I am on vacaction.

I am also not selfish enough to hope that the captain will put an entire ship full of people in harms way so I can make a wedding on an island. Due to weather I would guess the wedding was at the very least post poned.

It is up to people to take the time to research their vacation plans and know what they are buying. They should know what the weather conditions might be like during the time of year they plan to travel. They should be aware of the contract they are getting into so that they know what to expect should things change. If they don't then (and I intend to be rude here) they are just not very smart.

Bravo, Kat! :D

I find it very interesting that, except for one poster, every single person who earlier claimed that the Captain was rude has crawled back into the woodwork now that the video has come out.

That's because they are exposed as being the rude ones, ruining everyone else's vacations with their baloney. They should have all been put off the ship, rather than risk everyone else.

When we couldn't make Costa Maya (for the second time in 2 years for me!:( ) there was a guy on the Lido deck screaming at the poor towel guy and the waiters, as if they could do anything about it. He went on ranting and loudly making comments for hours. I'm sure if anyone had paid any attention to him, he would have stirred up a mob like that.

I have not read all of the posts before this one however I would like to add my 2 cents. I saw nothing wrong with the captains address to the passengers at all. I don't take cruises during hurricane season because of the problems that are inevitable. If I DID book a cruise during hurricane season, I would consider it a bonus if I was able to see each of the scheduled ports. If it meant no ports and 7 days at sea, I would accept it provided that was the only reasonable alternative. I would certainly not incite a riot or protest of any kind and would in fact be the first one to speak out against the protestors. When I am a passenger on a ship I am respectful of fellow passengers, crew and anyone I come in contact with onboard or on land. I'm not a chair hog, I show up on time for dining room meals and I tip for good service. I don't feel like the cruise is my own personal yacht trip that entitles me to what I want. JMHO

That's because they are exposed as being the rude ones, ruining everyone else's vacations with their baloney. They should have all been put off the ship, rather than risk everyone else.

Just to clarify...what I THINK is correct (like I said, I'm fuzzy on this) I think the OP was not one of the 'mob'...he was very upset by the mob. BUT he was also upset with the Captain, who he thought handled this poorly.

Again, I amy be wrong. I wish the Op would come back to clarify. *sigh*

My personal feeling is the captain is a freaking SAINT.

Just to clarify...what I THINK is correct (like I said, I'm fuzzy on this) I think the OP was not one of the 'mob'...he was very upset by the mob. BUT he was also upset with the Captain, who he thought handled this poorly.

Again, I amy be wrong. I wish the Op would come back to clarify. *sigh*

My personal feeling is the captain is a freaking SAINT.

His original post was asking a question as to whether or not a $100 credit that he received from Carnival was worth the unprofessional and "rudeness" of the captain which "caused" the mutiny.....

Bottom line... The captain wasn't rude. He is just doing his job.

If you are going to take a cruise during hurricane season, the ports you thought you were going to visit, you may not.

The cruiseline values you as a passenger(and the cost of their ship a lot) and are not going to put either into harms way. The passengers should be thankful they chose a cruise vacation over an island resort stay. The ship can move, the island can't.

Kudos to the captain and crew.

I just read through this entire thread (I missed the 'fun' yesterday), and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth even though it's all been said already.

# 1 The captain was not rude during his explanation. He explained things very clearly and attempted some humor which obviously went right over some people's heads.

#2 One of things I love about cruising is that I don't have to cook, do dishes, make my bed, or do any other housework. I imagine there is a large percentage of women cruising who feel the same way, so I do not find the comments that he directed to the ladies offensive at all, just oh-so-true.

#3 The "riot" was completely rude, idiotic, and inappropriate. I would have steered clear of it all and it definitely would have taken away from the relaxation and enjoyment of my cruise.

#4 How could anyone not know it was hurricane season? Perhaps they didn't care that it was hurricane season or didn't understand how hurricane season could effect their cruise, but no way could they not know it was hurricane season. Well, actually, on futher consideration, it seems that some of these people might just be self-centered enough that they actually didn't know it was hurricane season. They probably never heard of Hurricane Katrina either. And as I write this they are completely oblivious to Hurricane Ike.... just like my 6 year old.

#5 All I can say to those who were involved in the riot, think the riot was justified, and think they are entitled to compensation is, "Well, bless your little hearts" and, "How nice". ;)

His original post was asking a question as to whether or not a $100 credit that he received from Carnival was worth the unprofessional and "rudeness" of the captain which "caused" the mutiny.....

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

#5 All I can say to those who were involved in the riot, think the riot was justified, and think they are entitled to compensation is, "Well, bless your little hearts" and, "How nice". ;)

Touche! :D

Batman, if you think that was rude, you haven't been anywhere, you need to spend a week in N.Y.C. :D

Fred

Now this is rude :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~

Bravo to the Captain for stepping up to the plate and dealing with the situation.

Now this is rude :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~

Bravo to the Captain for stepping up to the plate and dealing with the situation.

Pssst.

I think Fred is originally from NY (although I might have that screwed up too:rolleyes: )...at any rate, he was just kidding. ;)

You know i just don't agree with many people on this post. Here is why:

First of all, of course when you cruise during hurricane season there is a chance of different ports...of course. But, it seems that this particular sailing changed ports drastically. Everyone was expecting a Caribbean cruise and they got something totally different. Carnival has got to learn that people are going to be very disappointed.

Having said this...there should have been no mutiny. People should just try and enjoy the 7 days of vacation. Yelling in the lobby could have led to arrests, possibly? Disturbing the peace...I don't know. Doesn't seem very mature or productive.

2 things that the Captain said bothered me.

1. His tone was very nice and he did seem sincere but he said a couple of things that bothered me. The idea that passengers shouldn't be a little miffed because they don't have to clean or cook is a low class thing to say. Whenever people go on vacation and stay in a hotel they don't cook or clean. Big deal. You are paying for that wonderful service. I mean, folks paid to not cook and clean. Part of the cruise fair goes towards the food, service and staff. Carnival gets a lot of mileage out of that statement. When the cruise director said it, it seems cute and funny. But, when there is a major change in ports, the Captain should not be bringing that up.

2. The other thing was the "if I was rude I would say that you paid for 3 ports and you got 3 ports." Okay, maybe he was trying to make a joke. It kind of sounded like that. But, it wasn't funny at all. It had a bit of truth to it as well. if he had to speak to the passengers again, he might not of said those two things. You want funny? Check this guy out...

I am very glad I wasn't on this cruise. If there is a major change in ports because of weather the Captain or whoever, should simply explain whay they are not going there, tell everyone that they are safe and they will do everything to make sure everyone is having a great time. That's all he can say. The above 2 statements seem a little defensive and combative.

Having said all of this, no excuse for the poor behavior of the passengers. Those youtube clips are just so stupid. And not tipping the crew...horrible.

Archived