RCL Stocks Take Dive

cruisen cracker

It looks like RCL closed at $15.61 per share today. That is a 10.13% loss in one day and way down from around $30 at the first of the month. Anyone know of any special reason other than the general dump the market has taken. The loss was almost twice the Dow loss today. The stockholders credits look even better at this price. Anyone know a simple way to buy a 100 shares? Does the line sell directly like some other companies do?

Bob

While I can understand your frustration with the recent promotion Celebrity has put out there for new bookings.... many cruiselines have been doing promotions "For New Bookings Only" for many years now....to say it is a poor managed company is quite harsh and I think you are just speaking out of anger right now ! Personally I think Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships are way over priced for what they offer, but to each his or her own !

It looks like RCL closed at $15.61 per share today. That is a 10.13% loss in one day and way down from around $30 at the first of the month. Anyone know of any special reason other than the general dump the market has taken. The loss was almost twice the Dow loss today. The stockholders credits look even better at this price. Anyone know a simple way to buy a 100 shares? Does the line sell directly like some other companies do?

Bob: send me an email at rolfecms at gmail dot com and I'll provide details.

I'm no expert but I'd say the market is sensitive to companies which provide services which are essentially luxuries... In the face of a global downturn there is normally speculation that in the months and years before the economy recovers these companies may post lower than average profits which in turn depresses the share price.

Strangely I noticed than Campbell's Soup stock price is actually up over the last 52 weeks - Clearly people are gonna sit out the recession eating Campbell's!

A few weeks back...unfortunately for us it was BEFORE the prices of everything fell...we bought 100 shares from Ameritrade online and the transaction was FREE. If you open an account you have one month to trade for free. That was our only purchase.

I'm no expert but I'd say the market is sensitive to companies which provide services which are essentially luxuries... In the face of a global downturn there is normally speculation that in the months and years before the economy recovers these companies may post lower than average profits which in turn depresses the share price.

Strangely I noticed than Campbell's Soup stock price is actually up over the last 52 weeks - Clearly people are gonna sit out the recession eating Campbell's!

Yup. Tomato Soup with mom's rice mixed in. Just like the old days so a family of four could have a hot meal. Those people who have stockpiled rice knew what they were doing.

We had a slew of layoffs today in the workplace. None of them will be cruising any time soon, I can assure you.

Read my post "This is Outrageous" and you'll see why! The company is a complete loser and has horrible business practices. I am SO sorry I bought at $30+--what a ridiculously poorly managed outfit.

That is a bit over the top. They changed a policy, big deal.

Bob

A lot of stocks are down. I would not get any futher into market right now. I own a few things here and there (No RCI), I'm just holding for awhile. And I'm not even going to open my next 401(k) statement.:eek:

Sorry, I totally disagree. I think it is managed just fine.

I totally disagree too. I wonder why there are so many thousands of people cruising, with more and more ships being built. You can't go through life saying "boo hoo" she got a better deal than me. I try to keep my business to myself just to avoid the "boo hoo" unpleasantness. For each person that has more than me, there are hundreds and more that have less than me. Some people will never even experience a cruise. :) I am just glad that I have what I have.

Bob

My DH and I were just discussing the lowest price of the year (Today's) for RCI and are also considering buying 100 shares. We have a couple cruises already booked in 2009 and just might be a worthwhile investment. :)

DOES ANYONE KNOW if we BOTH bought 100 shares in our own names, and are sharing a cabin, if we could BOTH take advantage of the stock credits on our upcoming cruises. :confused:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lobster129

My DH and I were just discussing the lowest price of the year (Today's) for RCI and are also considering buying 100 shares. We have a couple cruises already booked in 2009 and just might be a worthwhile investment. :)

DOES ANYONE KNOW if we BOTH bought 100 shares in our own names, and are sharing a cabin, if we could BOTH take advantage of the stock credits on our upcoming cruises. :confused:

Lobster129

I own shares as does my DW - we only get the one shareholder benefit - BUT god willing in 2009 we are taking a 7 night $100 and a 14 Night $250 so thats not chump change.

My average cost is abut $13 a share and if I had more money in my account I would buy another 100 shares

High this year was $42 - sooo when the market goes up so will the stock,

I really don't get it - people buy the stock and want to make money and when the company tries to do just that - they complain - I shudda gotten a deal and I didn't -

cant have it both ways Mcgee

DOES ANYONE KNOW if we BOTH bought 100 shares in our own names, and are sharing a cabin, if we could BOTH take advantage of the stock credits on our upcoming cruises.

Only one shareholder benefit per cabin. Nice try though. :)

Lobster129

Yes. Stock is way low for what it should be,

Company is run fine for the industry.

This is just a reflection on the economic down turn.

You can only apply one credit to one cabin not both.

But I would recommend the buy for both.

There are a lot of bargins out there to scoop up right now.

Hello,

What is the RCL shareholder benefits? The last time I looked, it wasn't worth it to purchase stock. Has this changed?

Thanks,

Fred

For a 7 day cruise if you are a share holder you get a $100 room credit when you book. This is yours to spend on the cruise - can you say free drinks..

The benefit goes up for the longer cruises.

I would say $150 for a 10 day plus.

And $250 for 14 day cruise.

Throw a dividend check into the mix and the stock purchase is paying for itself if you use your vacation $$$ for cruises on RCCL.

I calculated back - if I had bought stock in say 2000 or so I would have gotten enough cruise credit for another trip by now......

It may be that Royal Caribbean's stunt of refusing to honor contracts that they tried to pull last November has finally bitten them in the butt!!! Americans are finally learning that many Fortune 500 companies are not trustworthy.I learned this about Royal Caribbean International the last time I booked a cruise with them.

Maybe I'm confused. But why would anyone be shocked in today's market that cruiseline stock would drop like a brick? Read the business papers if you don't listen to news and you'll see resorts, hotels, airlines....anything vacation orientated is biting the dust big time. Why would that surprise anyone? Now add to it the cruiselines just went thru a building spree with loans galore and what would you expect? Hang on to your stock and look at it in 5-10 years. If all you need to worry about is your X/RCL stock, wouldn't you consider yourself lucky?

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of loyals dumped their stock. Why carry it if you can't combine it with anything. I think RCCL has made a mistake with this. Why not allow the OBC, everything on it is at a mark up anyway. That is just crazy. They would have been smarter to increase prices onboard just a little to cover this over getting rid of it completely. Sure has Pi$$ed a lot of people off.

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of loyals dumped their stock. Why carry it if you can't combine it with anything. I think RCCL has made a mistake with this. Why not allow the OBC, everything on it is at a mark up anyway. That is just crazy. They would have been smarter to increase prices onboard just a little to cover this over getting rid of it completely. Sure has Pi$$ed a lot of people off.

Maybe they're just helping to get rid of the people who are so Pi$$ed they vow to never cruise with X again?

Archived