Places to stay in London and Rome?

We will be on a repositioning European cruise next year from London to Rome with a few days before and after in each city.

Do you all have any suggestions for places you may have stayed before? We are three ladies on budgets and have never been to either place, so we will be doing the basic touristy stuff this trip--not too far off the beaten path.

If you have stayed in those cities and have any ideas for us, we would appreciate it!

We stayed in a very nice Hilton in London last year but I'll be darned if I can find any info now. You may want to go to the Ports of Call boards here and post your questions. I think you will find lots of responses there. Good luck, Chuck

We will be on a repositioning European cruise next year from London to Rome with a few days before and after in each city.

Do you all have any suggestions for places you may have stayed before? We are three ladies on budgets and have never been to either place, so we will be doing the basic touristy stuff this trip--not too far off the beaten path.

If you have stayed in those cities and have any ideas for us, we would appreciate it!

I highly recommend you check out Anne's Place, a B&B outside of Rome:

http://www.byanne.com/

Everything good written about Anne on Tripadvisor is absolutely true!

I have my favorites...but "on a budget" may rule some of those out (like the Raphael in Rome)...

Check out the Rubens in London--great little hotel...not a bad price by London standards--but, of course, still doesn't quite fit "on a budget"...

After searching this last trip, we ended up with an outstanding AAA rate

(85.5 GBP per night) at the Park Plaza County Hall...of course, that also is dependent on time of year and also may have been low since the hotel was brand new...

My best overall hotel search tip is to go to tripadvisor.com and plug in each city and your dates and just hunt for a deal and read the reviews.l..Then come back here and ask about specific hotels...

Good luck...

Oh gosh, I love the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire in Leicester Square, but it's pretty pricey (but then, everything in London is)! Right behind the National Gallery, in the West End (near many of the theatres), and walking distance to Trafalgar Square, the London Eye, Whitehall, Buckingham Palace, etc. (This is, of course, if you like to walk!)

Check out vrbo.com. We use them for pretty much all of our travel anymore, and have never been disappointed in any of the properties we've rented through the site.

The value of the pound and euro against the dollar really makes a difference when trying to find a reasonable hotel rate.

I stayed at a Hilton in London some years ago. The rate at the time was not bad. On a second trip, stayed at a Marriott at the airport. Actually staying at airport hotels one often finds more reasonable rates. Usually there is adequate transportation between the airport and city as well.

In Rome, I stayed at the airport Hilton as well. Hilton even has a free shuttle to the center of Rome that runs all day long. Have stayed at the Hilton in Rome last year. Rates were nearly $300 (US). If you are sharing a room with other woman, that may work when it comes to staying with a budget.

Hi there,

We were on the Carnival Freedom in August and stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Milton Roma. Hotel was about a 15-minute walk to the Coliseum and across the street from the Manzoni Metro Station. They had a wonderful buffet breakfast, room was exceptionally clean and there were 3 of us (our son slept on the couch in the little room with the TV/desk - it was very roomy for 3 people. Paid around $214/night - anything less wasn't up to my standard. We had air conditioning which worked OK - not the greatest but the bathroom was nice with amenities, mini-fridge and safe. This hotel used to be a monestary. I believe my rating was 8.5. You can check out their website.

GlendaleCruiser - my daughter and I will also be travelling on that cruise by ourselves. I would love to chat with you to see if you would be interested in doing some tours together. This will be my 5th cruise but my daughters 1st. We will also be on a budget. If you would like, please e-mail me at mdejj@yahoo.com. dandm

Oh gosh, I love the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire in Leicester Square, but it's pretty pricey (but then, everything in London is)! Right behind the National Gallery, in the West End (near many of the theatres), and walking distance to Trafalgar Square, the London Eye, Whitehall, Buckingham Palace, etc. (This is, of course, if you like to walk!)

Check out vrbo.com. We use them for pretty much all of our travel anymore, and have never been disappointed in any of the properties we've rented through the site.

Yes this is very good hotel, but not cheap. What is in London? This is an expensive city.:eek:

You may also consider the Sherlock Holmes Hotel on Baker Street. It is not far from the 221B Museum, near shopping and gives you a very good flavour of the city.

Rome? Try the Solis Invictus on the Rue de Cavour. Lots of restaurants nearby and next door to the Coliseum.

One word of warning...you may consider the hotels in Rome a poor value at any price.

Have a great time.

Thanks to all of you for great ideas! Since there are three of us, we will be able to share the cost, but we are also staying multiple nights, so we know that will run up the bill.

I do participate in Hilton Honors, so maybe I can get a good deal by using those points, too.

ALL GREAT IDEAS! Thanks!

Britain is very expensive when it comes to accommodation. London - even more so.

If you're on a budget, consider:

Staying at least 50 miles from London

Staying at bed & breakfast or guest house accommodation

Not staying in the UK at all

Britain is very expensive when it comes to accommodation. London - even more so.

If you're on a budget, consider:

Staying at least 50 miles from London

Staying at bed & breakfast or guest house accommodation

Not staying in the UK at all

OUCH!

I think that the only reason we will be staying there is:

1) because we board the ship there and I don't want to miss the ship due to late flights, and

2) we've never been there at all, so want to see some of the touristy sites like Buckingham palace and shop at Harrod's.

Two nights at the most. Arrive. Spend one night. Shop and tour, spend the night. Get on board ship.

We went on a transatlantic this april to Rome.We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Aberdeen. This was very nice and the greatest staff. Very friendly and helpful. This is in central rome. We walked everywhere. It is 150 euros if you mention Rick Stevens rate. Great breakfast is included. They arranged our tours and they picked us up at the hotel and also the cab for the airport. Very clean and beautiful. Near many major attractions. They mailed my backpack to me in usa after I forgot it and left it there. They would not take payment! The hotel has tons of marble, a inner courtyard, free internet, nice rooms, big wooden shutters. We will be staying there again next april. Their website is great. The rate for a double on the web is 180 euros but if you call and say "Rick Stevens" its 150 euros.

We booked the Hotel Crosti after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor - we weren't disappointed. It's about a five minute walk from the cental termini station. We paid 65 euros per night for a double room through hotels.com, including a good breakfast.

We stayed at the Park Place London Victoria this past July and will be staying there again 7/2010. The hotel was full of modern ammenities, including having US outlets in the room. We loved the location, just across the street from Victoria Station. We felt very safe in the area. We paid about $210., incl. taxes, for the 3 of us. The further out you book the better the rate you will get.

The walk to Buckingham Palace was about 15 minutes. Didn't have a chance to get to Harrod's this trip so I'm not sure how long the walk would be.

We stayed at the Park Place London Victoria this past July and will be staying there again 7/2010. The hotel was full of modern ammenities, including having US outlets in the room. We loved the location, just across the street from Victoria Station. We felt very safe in the area. We paid about $210., incl. taxes, for the 3 of us. The further out you book the better the rate you will get.

The walk to Buckingham Palace was about 15 minutes. Didn't have a chance to get to Harrod's this trip so I'm not sure how long the walk would be.

I think you mean Park Plaza

Most of the above suggestions seem to be chain 4 star hotels which are not cheap in either London or Rome. 4 star hotels you pay for the services like full restaurant services, 24 hour room service, lounges and such like.

If you just want somewhere comfortable to sleep, then you should be looking at 3 star hotels and not pay a premium for facilities you never use.

In Rome in the centre there are few chain hotels that you would have heard of outside the super expensive bracket. Most of the chains like Marriott and Hilton, have their affordable hotels a way outside the centre and getting to the centre is tedious or expensive. If you are on a budget the best area is around Termini Station. The Express Holiday Inn San Giovanni is afforadable but not in the centre but is by a Metro station.

In London a good 3 star hotel is well under $US150-$200. Try the Premier Inn chain as a benchmark.

We stayed at the Domus Praetoria in Rome based on tripadvisor.com and was not disappointed. It's a small family run hotel that's very clean, safe and will save you money. It's near the train station and metro so is also convenient.

Last month we stayed at the Hilton at Paddington Station. We paid in advance and got a rate of 109 pounds a night which included their full english breakfast buffet both days and a dinner one night. Paddington is a great location. You're right there for the Heathrow Express and it's across from the Tube station for all the London sights. Would highly recommend. Their website has all kinds of deals which include dinners and breakfast.

I stayed at the Imperiale on the Via Veneto in 2002 and it was fantastic. It is a great location. Rooms are on the small side but the hotel is nice and the Imperiale is the least expensive of the hotels on the Via Veneto.

We walked all over Rome and I have to say that the Via Veneto is really "the" place to stay. It is near the US Embassy and the tree-lined street is really pretty and relatively quiet. It is in the most chic part of the city. You are also very close to the Borghese Park, which is a nice respite from hustle and bustle of Rome.

Rooms will run about 300 per night at the Imperiale.

My sister stayed at a B&B near the Spanish Steps and loved it. So don't hesitate to research B&B's also.

As for London, I have stayed at Hotels in London and neither of them was memorable. They were just rooms. I paid $ 150 per night. One was near Victoria Station and the other was in Earl's Court. The locations were good and I would recommend staying in these areas because of easy access to the subway and Heathrow. I would look into B&Bs.

We were a family of three and stayed in the above Pensione in Rome. It was about 120 euros from memory and quite basic - but only a few blocks from the Vatican and a metro station right outside the door. There was also a small shopping strip a couple of blocks away including a supermarket and deli. We were on a tight budget and ate a big lunch and then bought baguettes and meats etc at the supermarket for dinner

Some people we met up with on the cruise stayed at a much better place (hotel) but weren't nearly as central to the action and wished they had stayed where we did

Good luck with your search

I see you are a Hilton Honors member. I have stayed at several Hiltons both in London and Rome. If you tell me what you expect to do I can tell you which Hilton to stay in.

Cheers.

ps. I am also a Hilton Honors member and will be staying at the Parklane Hilton in London pre-cruise next May.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum for 3 nights before a cruise on Independence. Nice hotel, great location ...breakfast was included, so that was a nice savings too. One block from the Gloucester Road tube station too, so getting around was easy.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/lonhi?_requestid=586680

We stayed at The Beehive in Rome. Great location near the train station. It's not a 'full hotel', it's more of a guest house or hostel. The website can give you more details, but it was cheap, clean, and only 2 blocks from Rome Termini station (you can take the train from Civitevecchia to Rome Termini for 10E)

Archived