"Don't Miss" foods on NCL?

laura1960

I appreciate the reply! I will definately be having this dish...along with a bowl of mushroom soup!

Since most feel Cagney's is just ok (with a couple of hoorah's thrown in)...can anyone recommend a specific dish there? My two favorite cuts are filet mignon and prime rib, with strip steak as a close second.

I higky recommend starting with the Lobster Bisque, then the Filet Mignon, and the Kahlua Creme Brulee for dessert. You will have a FABULOUS meal!

The Oysters Rockefeller appetizer is probably my favorite dish at Cagney's - it's usually excellent. Their steaks are good, but not quite as good as some of the better steakhouses or even chains - I guess it depends on the chef at that particular Cagney's and whether they can get a grill hot enough on board to cook the steaks perfectly. But nothing except the oysters stands out in my memory. The food is certainly not bad, it's very good, just not memorable.

Robin

Is there a difference in the offered menu for "inside cabin cruisers" and "suite cruisers" when at specialty dining rooms? The below post mentions "for suite folks"?

Roce48@aol.com

Il Popo in Salsa or Tango

Eggs Benedict - can't wait to try crabcakes benedict in Cagney's for suite folks next Feb!

Chateaubriand in Le Bistro - I know upcharge on a surcharge but it's great and I am on vacation!

Is there a difference in the offered menu for "inside cabin cruisers" and "suite cruisers" when at specialty dining rooms? The below post mentions "for suite folks"?

Roce48@aol.com

Cagneys breakfast and lunch is only available to those that have suites. So the crabcakes benedict are only available for that menu. Don't dispair, I would call them good but not mouth watering. The crab was more of a paste than a good fried crabcake. Pretty sure you can find just as good breakfast in the main dining rooms or at the buffet area (supposed to have wizard ommeletes).

Otherwise, all restaraunts are open for everyone. Don't worry, you will have lots of dining choices.

Lobster bisque, Salad, 10oz Filet Mignon, Creme bruleee and Molton chocolate cake for her.Boston Clam Chowder, salad, 10 oz Prime rib, Bananas flambe for him. All of this was fantastic. Meat superbly done. The Molton chocolate cake was to die for. You must have it if it is still available. My biggest surprise was after the main course they wanted to know if we wanted another one, no extra charge!! Great service.

Sushi was excellent. Well prepared and presented. Tasty and lots of it.

Both restaurants are well worth the extra money.

I have decided i have to stop reading this thread. i keep drooling all over the keyboard. i haven't sailed NCL before, but can't wait for October and getting on board the Spirit. I am going to have to start a list of great Spirit foods so that i don't miss any except lobstah, and chowdah, and fishy sea things. Rack of lamb, and fois gras and creme brulee, Oh be still my heart.

The Canard a L'orange.

The duck is flambed at the table ...what a show! and delicious!!!

The duck was gone on our cruises since FS 2.0 and the new menu :( . Hubby was not happy, it was his favorite too. But he found several things on the new menu delicious, especially the cassoulet.

Robin

The duck was gone on our cruises since FS 2.0 and the new menu :( . Hubby was not happy, it was his favorite too. But he found several things on the new menu delicious, especially the cassoulet.

Robin

Agree that the cassoulet was delicious. That was one honking big duck leg (pun intended).

Okay one question though - what is a pretzel roll? I have seen those mentioned a few times.

Caution --- don't want you to miss them by focusing on only finding a "stick" shaped soft pretzel!! Gem's pretzel rolls that were out at the lunch time Garden Buffet were about 2" diameter round things. They weren't there every day, but often. Enjoy.

I love the steak terriyaki and tempura at the Asian restaurant ($10pp) on NCL cruiseships. We also love the beef tenderloin (filet mignon) at LeBistro ($15pp). The atmosphere of LeBistro is so relaxing for a quiet intimate dinner. Finally, NCL makes the best tiramasu. Find out where it is on the menu and go there. I think the Italian restaurant offers it. LeBistro used to have it as well.

I am sure I could find the answer but CC people are always so helpful. So, is that $10pp or whatever the price is no matter what or how much you order off the menu? Thanks.

Our favourite haunt on Jade was the Indian counter with various curries and all the trimmings down to the mango chutney and fresh fried popadoms. We used this place frequently this summer so that we could get back on deck and see the lochs we were sailing down-although it didn't get dark until 11ish. We're on Jade again in Feb., and are planning lengthier meals with winter darkness.Enjoy!-jocap

• 2 months later...

My favorite fruits! I'd asked at breakfast if they had any and was told no. Then this combo was on the dinner menu. Delish! Comparable to cayenne pepper on pineapple in its unusualness, and its similarity in bringing out the unique flavor of the fruit.

Are any of these delicious sounding foods available on Majesty? I'm on weight watchers now (not because of the upcoming July cruise, but because I want to feel good) and I hope to lose at least 25 lbs. by July -- so far lost 11 lbs. in 4 weeks so almost half-way to that loss. I plan on getting up early every a.m. before sun rise to walk 3-4 miles at least and possibly use the gym, depending on what they have. But I don't plan on living on diet soda, salad, steamed veggies, fish and grilled chicken while on a week long cruise. I will try to eat healthy most times, but also onvacation and need to treat yourself, just not over do it each day.

1. The bread! The freshly baked, Euro-style French bread and hard rolls with the crunchy crust and the moist, soft inside.

2. The fruit! Great variety, beautifully presented, especially the pineapple.

3. Oh yeah, the lobster, escargot, beef stroganoff, mushroom soups, the opportunity to try a large variety of unfamiliar international dishes with no risk (just order an extra entree).

4. The eggs benedict with smoked salmon.

5. Did I mention the bread??? Also try the pretzel sticks with mustard.

Yes, the Majesty has most of the dishes mentioned, though it doesn't

have the variety of specialty restaurants that the newer, bigger ships have. On 4 NCL cruises, we have only eaten at Le Bistro once, and were disappointed. We didn't perceive the food any better than the main restaurants. However, the main restaurants have such a variety and such good food, I see no reason to spend extra on the specialties.

As my dear father used to say..."cut to the chase". Know what you like to eat and search the menus each day. If you don't like duck at home you won't like it on a ship. If you like lamb or prime rib, but rarely prepare it at home, go for it.

Are any of these delicious sounding foods available on Majesty? I'm on weight watchers now (not because of the upcoming July cruise, but because I want to feel good) and I hope to lose at least 25 lbs. by July -- so far lost 11 lbs. in 4 weeks so almost half-way to that loss. I plan on getting up early every a.m. before sun rise to walk 3-4 miles at least and possibly use the gym, depending on what they have. But I don't plan on living on diet soda, salad, steamed veggies, fish and grilled chicken while on a week long cruise. I will try to eat healthy most times, but also onvacation and need to treat yourself, just not over do it each day.

The menus are fleetwide for the regular dining rooms, so unless someone has specified where a food was served (and they didn't I see above. Lobster Ravioli is in Impressions of Italy Dirkster and I had on Dawn three weeks ago and was not on the regular menu. But I had crab and lobster ravioli on Majesty in April) it should be available.

If someone mentions a food in Le Bistro, you're in luck since Majesty has Le Bistro. Otherwise, probably not, although they do have a "Pasta" restaurant that requires reservations but is free on Majesty.

If you do a search for menus (recent ones) you will be able to tell what's being served.

Archived